Ageing

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Ageing

Post by Khemehekis »

English:

Before someone is born, s/he is a fetus. After s/he is born, s/he starts to be a child and will be one until her/his twelfth or thirteenth birthday, although some people include fetuses under the term child or will refer to a fetus as an unborn child. Before her/his second birthday, a child is a baby. The word infant refers to a baby before her/his first birthday, and a subset of the infant is the newborn, which refers to a person is her/his first 4 weeks of life. Between 18-24 months and her/his fourth birthday, a child is a toddler. From age 4 until s/he starts kindergarten, a child is a preschooler. From the start of kindergarten to age 9 a child is simply a core child. A child aged 10-12 is a preteen. A female child is a girl and a male child is a boy; the terms little girl and little boy are sometimes used to distinguish children from older girls and boys.

From age 12 or 13 until the point of high school graduation, her/his twentieth birthday, or her/his twenty-first birthday, a person is a teen-ager, teen or adolescent. The word collegian describes someone of traditional college age. The word kid encompasses both children and teens, and sometimes traditional-age college students. A female teen-ager or sometimes collegian is referred to as a girl or lass, and a male teen-ager or sometimes collegian is referred to as a boy or lad (or colloquially, guy), and sometimes these terms are even extended to twentysomethings, as on American Idol. Someone aged 20 to 29 is a twentysomething; the term young adult covers twentysomethings and collegians, and often even 18-year-old high school students. Young people collectively are referred to as youth; the term young person encompasses both teens and twentysomethings. A female young person is often referred to as a young woman, and a male young person as a young man.

The word adult (or grown-up) is used to refer to people once they have grown up until the rest of their lives. Adult is often used to refer to people over the legal age for doing something (such as 18 for voting or 21 for drinking in the United States), but it is often informally used to refer to people over 30. Someone under the legal age is a minor (with the term juvenile specifically referring to someone under 18). A female adult is a woman (pl. women), and a male adult is a man (pl. men). An adult aged 30 to 39 is a thirtysomething, an adult aged 40 to 49 is a fortysomething or quadragenarian, and an adult aged 50 to 59 is a quinquagenarian. A sobset of adults is the senior or senior citizen, variously defined as over 60, 62 or 65. A senior aged 60 to 69 is a sexagenarian, a senior aged 70 to 79 is a septuagenarian, a senior aged 80 to 89 is an octogenarian, a senior aged 90 to 99 is a nonagenarian and a senior over 100 is a centenarian. A subset of centenarians is the supercentenarian, someone over 110.

Kankonian:

Before someone is born, s/he is a haihi (fetus). After s/he is born, up until her/his thirteenth birthday, s/he is a welas. A female welas is a malazi, and a male welas is a makeke. A welas aged 0 or 1 is an efesh. For the eirst month after birth, an efesh is a nothan. A welas aged 2 or 3 is a kyufa. From age 4 until s/he starts school after her/his sixth birthday, s/he is a polas. Upon starting uhul welas at 6 to age 12, s/he becomes an uhulwelis. The term uhulwelis sometimes includes 13-year-olds who have yet to graduate from an uhul welas, but other times it is interpreted strictly as a subset of welas and therefore excludes people who have had their thirteenth birthday.

From 13 to 29, a person is a storman. A female storman is a piva, and a male storman is a bein. Someone who is 20 in 29 in Kankonian years is a blatbisp; a twentysomething in Earth years is a twentisamthing.

From age 30 up, a person is a khorom. A female khorom is a mopiga, and a male khorom is a wiri. Someone 30 to 49 is a nupanis, while someone 50 to 69 is a barzamis. In Kankonian years, a person 30 to 39 is a dernbisp, a person 40 to 49 a hospbisp, a person 50 to 59 a kozanisbisp, and a person 60 to 69 a sizanisbisp. Using the length of Earth years, someone 30 to 39 is a thoertisamthing, someone 40 to 49 is a fortisamthing, someone 50 to 59 is a kwinkwadzhenarian and someone 60 to 69 is a seksadzhenarian. Anyone 70 or older is a wetzfoneris. In Kankonian years, a person 70 to 79 is a tranisbisp, a person 80 to 89 is a fuzanisbisp, a person 90 to 99 is a helzanisbisp, and a person over 100 is a rambisp. Using the length of Earth years, someone 70 to 79 is a septuadzhenarian, someone 80 to 89 is an oktodzhenarian, someone 90 to 99 is a nonadzhenarian and someone over 100 is a zentenarian. Among rambispes, someone 100 to 199 is an inrambisp, someone 200 to 299 a bamrambisp, someone 300 to 399 an emrambisp, someone 400 to 499 a holrambisp, someone 500 to 599 a kyurambisp, someone 600 to 699 a semrambisp, someone 700 to 799 a treilrambisp, someone 800 to 899 a furrambisp, someone 900 to 999 a helrambisp and someone over 1,000 a zesbisp.
Last edited by Khemehekis on 18 Feb 2013 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Re: Ageing

Post by Ossicone »

Inyauk: The life expectancy of an Inyauk is ~60 years.

Before someone is born, s/he is a ífibasiraaʃi (expected baby). After s/he is born, s/he starts to be a bát (child) and will be one until her/his fifteenth birthday. Before her/his second birthday, a child is a ífiba (baby). Between 18-24 months and her/his fifth birthday, a child is a bátji (small child). From the start of school to age 15 a child is simply a bátaaxirina (school child). A female child is a bátim (child-FEM) and a male child is a bátut (child-MSC).

From age 15 until the point of military training completion a person is a ixíʧaur(the trainee). The word inísim (the academician) describes someone at an academy. The word ʦíb (youth) encompasses both those at the military or academy. A female ixíʧaur or inísim can be referred to as a ʦíbim (youth-FEM), and a male is referred to as a ʦíbut (youth-MSC).

At the age of 20 a person becomes a ʧúdan (adult) and with completion of an academy or military training he/she becomes a rásun (citizen). Someone aged 20 to 25 can be called a ʧúdanji (young adult) or a rásunaatarim (new citizen). The word ʧúdan (or rásun) is used to refer to people once they have grown up until the rest of their lives. Someone under the legal age of citizenship is a ínʧain (non-citizen/derogatory). A female adult is a ʧúdanim (adult-FEM), and a male adult is a ʧúdanut (adult-MSC). An adult aged 40 to 49 is an iláfaur (the turtle), and an adult aged 50 or older is an igálan (the elder/wise).
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Interesting, Ossicone! I especially liked the term "turtle".

I notice you're the only one who's taken up this translation challenge. Is is that ageing terms are an area people don't usually dabble with in conlanging? Or do your concultures not have clear numerical definitions of when one label begins and another ends? Do many of you have conpeople who don't really have a strong method of counting (like the conlang that had no equivalent to "about 50 days" in the About challenge)? Or have a lot of you not determined the length of a year on your conplanet yet?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Don't worry, it hasn't gone unnoticed. This one's been bouncing in my head for a while, but I've been putting it off due to culture concerns; Agyon live for thousands of years. SHOULD a culture like that have a bunch of more specific aging terms? Or do the years all blend together for them?

But I'll give the few I've figured out for now: An unhatched egg is a Ridovar. Much like a chicken, if an Agyon doesn't have sex at the right time during the egg formation period, then the egg goes unfertilized but is expelled anyway. One of these waste eggs is called an Erzamiz. A fertilized egg has an average period of 15 Dinyoran months (of which there are 24 to a Dinyoran year), which is about 1.5 Earth years. When an Agyon hatches there's a period of a few years before the hatchling learns how to talk, fly, and transform. A hatchling in this period is called an Edhayoria. After this point the hatchling lives with their mother until around the age of 60 (about 150 Earth years). During THIS period the Agyon is a Tethania. Although they leave the "nest" at this age, Agyon don't become fully physically mature until the age of 200 or so (500 Earth years). When they are on their own but not physically mature, they're called a Varnadiel. An female adult Agyon is called an Iraiel, while a male is called a Dovanel. Once they reach physical maturity they cease aging and their bodies stay that way forever, so they only die by... other means. Average lifespan is 1500 Dinyoran years, or 3811 Earth years. But if nothing happens to them they're basically immortal. So I'm really unsure whether I should give specific terms past Iraiel or not.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Khemehekis wrote:Interesting, Ossicone! I especially liked the term "turtle".

I notice you're the only one who's taken up this translation challenge. Is is that ageing terms are an area people don't usually dabble with in conlanging? Or do your concultures not have clear numerical definitions of when one label begins and another ends? Do many of you have conpeople who don't really have a strong method of counting (like the conlang that had no equivalent to "about 50 days" in the About challenge)? Or have a lot of you not determined the length of a year on your conplanet yet?
I actually didn't actually have any of the terms (except baby, child and adult) when I decided to this. But aging is generally important to people, so it seemed like a good thing to do. I know the Inyauk don't use too much specific numbering, but there are several distinct periods of life which are important.

I was pretty happy with 'turtle' when I thought of it. :D
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I think I drank something called Erzamiz once...

Is it impolite to ask a lady her age? :P (Do they even keep track?)

EDIT: Nevermind, it was Etxaniz not Erzamiz.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Yes, and I think so. A birthday party every year sounds like something they'd do. Anything for an excuse to party ;3
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter