About

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: About

Post by Khemehekis »

Iyionaku wrote: A'braye/cunan tetcarnʻi væn uzad.
[aˈbraʃɛ/ˈkunan tɛ̆ˈtaɾnʔi vœn ˈuzad]
DEF.ANIM-man.PL/girl.PL fast-walk_around-3PL in city
4. The boys/lads were running about town.
Why would you use the word for "girl" to translate boy/lad?

Also: a note on my Kankonian translation of #5. The Kankonians don't have a concept of functioning in society vs. not functioning in society, so I calqued the English phrase to translate this sentence.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:con: :png: Wena:

I'm going to simplify some of these because I really don't want to come up with a tonne of new vocabulary right now, but I'll keep the senses of "about".

Zyo nga i ze mwe bi vwe zyi hi la.
head GEN.1s COP NEG.E able.E cease.AG see.AG GEN.DEF.E DEM.E woman
My head cannot stop seeing that woman.
I can't stop thinking about that woman.

Because there's no equivalent of "about" in that sentence, here's this one.

Na i ze mwe bi nge u byo i hi la.
1s COP NEG.E able.E cease.AG communicate.AG ADV topic COP DEM.E woman
I can't stop talking, with the topic being that woman.
I can't stop talking about that woman.

Lo zyelyo zyi mba i mbo wi go gwa gya.
situation make.coloured.AG GEN.DEF.E house COP stay.AG ATTR+COP similar.E pair sun.
Painting the house took about two days.

Na i zi gandye li mo.
1s COP prior.E near.future.E become.AG consume.AG
I was about to start eating.

We gohu i byu o nggwe nezo u lu bumba.
PL.E adolescent.boy COP fast.E ADV lack.AG destination ADV located.E town
The youths were running around in the town.

Nde zyi nyozandi e ze lo vuho zyi ndyova; i ndwa lo hwa ya va zinye ne bo hwa
goal GEN.DEF.E life COP NEG.E situation fit.AG GEN.DEF.E society; COP POS.E situation do.AG GEN everything up.till.now.E PASS.E want.AG do.AG
The purpose of life is not to fit in with society; it is to do the things you've wanted to do.

Na i ndwa zyu we oviza i ngo ye ba vi u gi e va ngo dyebu mye na i ze zande ngu ya.
1s COP POS.E GEN.C PL.E police.officer COP person ATTR extreme.E bad.E ADV mild.E COP everything person Earth but 1s COP NEG.E intend.AG kill.AG GEN
Yes, I do think that police officers are the worst people in the world, but I don't intend to kill one.
Last edited by Imralu on 19 Aug 2016 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Khemehekis wrote:
Iyionaku wrote: A'braye/cunan tetcarnʻi væn uzad.
[aˈbraʃɛ/ˈkunan tɛ̆ˈtaɾnʔi vœn ˈuzad]
DEF.ANIM-man.PL/girl.PL fast-walk_around-3PL in city
Why would you use the word for "girl" to translate boy/lad?
For me as a English non-native speaker, "lads" in this sentence sounded for me like "18 to 30 year old woman". The scope of the sex terms in Yélian varies: you use the word "brogo" only for male persons until around 14 years, after that you call them "broya". However, woman are usually referred to as "cuna" from their moment of puberty until they are married or their menopause. Only then, they are called "áia". Hence this is the most natural translation, however, in descriptive dictionaries, "cuna" is translated as "girl", while "áia" is "woman".
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Caelian

Rar väsmäget kë hugnizdyöngnas.
[raɾ væsmæˈgɛt kʰə hʊgˈnɪdʲœŋˌnaʃ]
1SG.NOM girl.DEM.PERL NEG thing.1SG>3SG-stop-can
1. I can't stop thinking about that girl.

Kinnyoses ülerzil, Dyong ilbapit mangi sipümubiz.
[kʰɪnɲɔˈʒɛʃ ʏlɛɾˈsɪl, dʲɔŋ ɪlbaˈpʰɪt maŋˈgi ʒipʰʏmuˈbɪs]
castle.SUB paint.3PL>3SG, DEM.MASC.NOM day.TERM fifty PST-take.3SG>3PL
2. Painting the castle took about fifty days.

Rar pürnyemilzabyur Rabye rohumgipbeil.
[raɾ pʰʏɾˌɲɛmɪlzaˈbʲʊɾ raˈbʲɛ rɔhʊmˈgɪpbɛɪ̯l]
1SG.NOM sandwich.ELA 1SG.GEN FUT-bite.1SG>3SG-want
3. I was about to take a bite of my sandwich.

Boradyek oddalyed zordagep sizüperriw.
[bɔɾaˈdʲɛk odaʎɛd zɔɾdaˈgɛp ʒizʏpʰɛˈriʍ]
man.PL.NOM town.INN surrounding.PERL PST-run.3PL>3SG

This is called a "zordagep construction": When referring to a movement inside something around it, or passing something, the lexicalized noun zordagep is used, the perlative case form of "zordep", surrounding. Together with the innessive (-alye-), it means movement inside something without a clue (while just oddalyed would emphasize movement in-order what I felt didn't fit here). This construction is the Caelian equivalent to the similar-working iu-expressions in the related language Yélian.

5. Life isn't about functioning in society; it's about doing everything you ever wanted to do.

6. I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Earth [or name of your planet], but I'm not about to shoot a cop.
Last edited by Iyionaku on 08 Aug 2016 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Iyionaku wrote:For me as a English non-native speaker, "lads" in this sentence sounded for me like "18 to 30 year old woman".
"Lad" exclusively refers to (young) men. Maybe you were thinking of "lass", the female equivalent.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

My attempts in :tan: Swahili:

Siwezi kuacha kumfikiria msichana huyo.
si-wez(a)-i ku-ach(a) ku-m-fikiri-i(a) msichana huyo
NEG.1S-be.able-NEG.PRES GER(CL15)-cease/leave GER(CL15)-CL1-think-APPL girl(CL1) DEM.MED.CL1

I can't stop thinking about that girl.

Kupaka rangi ngome kulichukua siku hamsini hivi.
ku-pak(a) rangi ngome ku-li-chuku(a) siku hamsini hivi
GER(15)-apply paint/colour(CL9/10) fortress(CL9/10) CL15-PST-take day(s)(CL9/10) fifty DEM.PROX.CL8

Painting the castle took about fifty days.

Nilikuwa karibu kuuma sandwichi yangu.
ni-li-ku-w(a) karibu ku-um(a) sandwichi y-angu
1S-PST-EXT-be near GER(CL15)-bite sandwich(CL9/10) CL9-GEN.1S

I was about to take a bite of my sandwich.
I was near taking a bite of my sandwich.

Wavulana walikuwa wakikimbia huku na huku mjini.
wavulana wa-li-ku-w(a) wa-ki-kimbi(a) huku na huku mji-ni
boys/young.men(CL2) CL2-PST-EXT-be CL2-SITU-run DEM.PROX.CL17 COM DEM.PROX.CL17 town-LOC(CL16/17/18)

The boys/lads were running about town.
The boys/lads were running around town.
The boys/lads were running here and there in town.

5. Life isn't about functioning in society; it's about doing everything you ever wanted to do.
Maana ya uhai si kufaa kwenye ujamii, bali ni kufanya kila jambo ulilotaka kulifanya.
maana y-a uhai si ku-fa(a) kw-enye ujamii | bali ni ku-fany(a) kila jambo u-li-lo-tak(a) ku-li-fany(a)
meaning(CL9/10) CL9-GEN life(CL14) NEG.COP GER(15)-be.suitable CL17-ORN society(CL14) | but.rather COP GER(CL15)-do every abstract.thing(CL5) 2S-PST-want GER(CL15)-CL5-do

The meaning of life is not fitting into society, but rather doing everything you wanted to do.

6. I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Earth [or name of your planet], but I'm not about to shoot a cop.
Ndiyo, ninaamini kwamba polisi ni watu waovu zaidi duniani, lakini nisingempiga risasi polisi.
ndi-yo | ni-na-amini kwamba polisi ni watu wa-ovu zaidi dunia-ni | lakini ni-si-nge-m-pig(a) risasi polisi
COP-CL9 | 1S-PRES-believe C police(CL9/10) COP people(CL2) CL2-evil more world-LOC(CL16/17/18) | but 1s-NEG-IRR-CL1-hit bullet(CL9/10) police(CL9/10)

Yes, I believe that (the) police are the most evil people on Earth, but I wouldn't shoot a cop.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

:con: Silvish

1. Jou pow pà m' arrettê de pensê a se ffillya.
[ʑu.pɔˈpa maʁ.ʁɛˈtɛː de.pɛ̃ˈsɛː ʔa.sɛˈfiʎ.ʎə]
1SG.NOM be_able.1SG NEG 1SG stop-INF from think-INF at DEM girl

2. L' a hu u teurni de chencanta jourt par pendre lou cottel.
[ləˈhy ʔyˈtœʁ.ni de.ɕɛ̃ŋ.kɑ̃n.təˈʑuʁt paˈpɛ̃n.dʁə lu.kɔˈtɛl]
3SG have.3SG require-PST_PTCP at round-OBL of fifty day-PL for paint DEF-M.C castle

3. J' ettê apres prandre en-a bouhâ de mê sandwich.
[ʑɛˈtɛː ʔəˈpʁɛs ˈpʁɑ̃n.dʁə ʔẽ.a.buˈhɑː de.mɛː.sɑ̃ˈdwit.tɕə]
1SG.NOM be-IPF.1SG after take-INF INDEF-F bite of 1SG-POSS.OBL sandwich

4. Li-z allyeûti courrêya sê e lê dyent lê vil.
[li.zaˈʎœː.ti kuˈʁɛː.jə ˈsɛː ʔəˈlɛː ˈdjɛ̃nt lɛˈvil]
DEF-PL boy-PL run-IPF.3PL here and there in DEF-OBL city

5. La vî l' e ppà istweya de fonson-ê dyent lê sochetê, l' ett istweya de fyêre toù s' que t' a nnonque vlu fyêre.
[ləˈviː lɛˈpa ʔiˈstwe.jə de.fɔ̃n.sŋ̩ˈɛː ˈdjɛ̃nt lɛː.so.ɕəˈtɛː | lɛt.tiˈstwe.jə dəˈfjɛː.ʁə ˈtu ske.tɑ̃ˈnɔ̃ŋ.kə ˈvly ˈfjɛː.ʁə]
DEF-F life 3SG be.3SG NEG story of function-INF in DEF-OBL society | 3SG be.3SG story of do-INF everything PRO REL.ACC 2SG have

Life isn't about functioning in society; it's about doing everything you ever wanted to do.

6. S' que jou crêvou qu' li ppolichê ew sont la pplû cruvella pparson-a seû Ter, jou swi pà pres/pretta a accowdre seû en-i polichê.
[ske.ʑuˈkʁɛː.vu klip.po.liˈɕɛː ʔɛw.sɔ̃n.tlaˈplyː kʁy.vɛl.lap.paˈsõ.ə ˈsœː ˈtɛʁ | ʑu.swiˈpa ˈpʁɛs ˈpʁɛt.tə ʔa.aˈkɔw.dʁə ˈsœː ʔẽ.i.po.liˈɕɛː]
if SBRD 1SG.NOM believe.SBJV-1SG SBRD DEF-PL police_officer 3-PL be.3PL DEF-F-PL most evil-F-PL person on earth 1SG.NOM be.1SG NEG ready-M/ready-F to shoot on INDEF-OBL police_officer

I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Earth, but I'm not about to shoot a cop.
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio »

NB: the translation of "about", when applicable, is marked by an italic style.

:ita: Italiano
1. Non riesco a smettere di pensare a quella ragazza.
2. Ci abbiamo messo circa cinquanta giorni a dipingere le pareti del castello.
3. Stavo per dare un morso al mio panino. (be about to = stare per)
4. I ragazzi correvano (in giro) per la città.
5. La vita non è semplicemente funzionare all'interno di una società; è fare tutto quel che hai sempre voluto fare. (here there is no about at all)
6. Posso anche credere che i poliziotti siano le persone peggiori del mondo, ma non ho intenzione di sparare a uno di loro. (here, be about to = avere intenzione di)

:ita: Emilian - Dialàt Vgnulěṡ (specific variety of an Italian local language)
1. A-n gh'la chêv brîṡa a d'smàter ed pinsêr a cla ragazêla.
2. A gh'avàm màs pió o měno zinquanta dè par piturêr al castêl.
3. A-j-ěra lè lè par murṡghêr al mě panein. (be about to = ěser lè lè par)
4. I ragâz i ěr'n a drě a córer par la zitê.
5. La véta l'an n'è brîṡa sol funzionêr indna socetê; l'è fêr tót quàl ca t'ê seimper vlû fêr. (once more, here there is no about at all)
6. A pôs anc cràder che i poliziôt i sìen i cristian pió melnàt dal mànd, mo an gh'ò nisûna intenzioun ed mazêren un. (here, be about to = avěreg intenzioun ed)
Last edited by Alessio on 22 Jun 2018 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

:con: griuskant (without the conscript)

1. koensh shur spaezha daig zhae stevae.
/'kɯnʃ 'ʃur 'speʒa daig 'ʒe 'stəve/
shallnot NEG think-V about that girl

2. hilgskautanor zhosta voezh 50 gau.
/'hilgskautanɔr 'ʒɔsta vɯʒ 'liugeiʃk 'gau/
castle-paint-V-PASS-NP use-V around 5-10 day

3. shaeiz duiga kloups.
/'ʃeiz 'duiga 'klɔups/
almost bite-V bread-PL

4. stevo cura zhol kaeir.
/'stəvɔ 'tʃura ʒɔl 'keir/
boy run-V through town

5. zhuic shaz uvzas oezwuka iuz sirouv ut az ara skuyaae uvas.
/'ʒuitʃ 'ʃaz 'uvzas 'ɯzwuka iuz 'sirɔuv ut az 'ara 'skujae 'uvas/
life denial also>-POSS-A<-V-PL intra-task-V upon soecity but is do-V want-V-POSS everything

6. kon daerca zhaed tirse az zhegziagae ist ijshidi er ut kinsh kiuzh staija.
/'kɔn 'dertʃa ʒed 'tirsə az 'ʒəgziage 'ist 'idʒʃidi 'ər vuʒ 'jalrɯk ut 'kinʃ kiuʒ 'staidʒa/
might believe-V COMP police-N is here-region-POSS most advance-naughty-A N-IMP but willnot until shoot-V
Last edited by Reyzadren on 27 Sep 2021 00:00, edited 3 times in total.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Image Géarthnuns

1. Fí la va ípwapsat helkepat ba tlöth ba balaf kalokh.
1SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES DEF.NEG girl-ACC.NEG that-ACC.NEG PTCL think.about PTCL stop be.able

2. Chü síürksüt chí fsurols lé sek dalthsef palavmnöthef ilkeu haubekh.
DEF castle-ACC DEF painting-NOM AUX.PAST INDEF.PL day-INSTRU.PL fifty-INSTR.PL approximately-AdADJ take

3. Sí lé chí horauníelsít sítelít sau çégírsaun nzhí í glozh.
1SG-NOM AUX.PAST DEF sandwich-ACC my-ACC INDEF mouthful-INSTR "going.to"-ADV just-AdADV eat

4. Chauk çabursaup lé chí dharhalsíb bö vömnünzdanez.*
DEF.PL youth-NOM.PL AUX.PAST DEF city.wall-POST in stroll
Spoiler:
I may be reading too much into this, but boys/lads/youths running about town does not suggest to me the actual act of running, rather "gallivanting" or "gadding" about. vömnü- in Géarthnuns is about the action not (necessarily) with a goal or destination in mind. If actual running were involved, one might have used vömnüshöz, but that implies "going for a run" (say, to clear your head or just get the hell out of the house -- and does a pack of lads behave this way?) At present, I don't think Géarthnuns has anything that connotes "moving about in search of sth. which may divert or entertain", so I went with "stroll, wander"; more neutral might have been vömnükadiz, "go about". Anyway, this sentence doesn't read to me like "The kindergarteners were running about the playground." or "The puppies were running about the kennel." might. Perhaps I've overthought this. Just translate at the literal level and shut up (I did a little of this above in sentence 1.).
5. Va mnusaps la, höi vö eshutekhsös vau hésrefalömsaut veçö; de san la, höi híaufansat, chanat seth löv bzéngöi mníéí ba dravnath üraf sho, chau dravnathalörsaut gzunpízh.
DEF.NEG life-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES, PTCL DEF society-GEN.NEG DEF.NEG be.part.of-PRES.PTPL-ACC.NEG thus; but 3SG-NOM AUX.PRES, PTCL everything-ACC, REL-ACC 3SG-NOM AUX.PRESPRF.IMPERS ever-ADV all-ADV PTCL do want PTCL, DEF do-PRES.PTCL-ACC be.a.matter.of
Life isn't about functioning in society; it's about doing everything you ever wanted to do.

6. Sí la, gü chek sebölíbauthsep la chauk íalörsaup rhastüvöraup íe cha zaríansab íe haunöi sho, hauhövaz sho, arkfö fí la fe sebölíbaugset téjü ba oivaböndrikh ktausef.
1SG-NOM AUX.PRES, CONJ DEF.PL police.person-NOM.PL AUX.PRES DEF.PL person-NOM.PL evil-NOM.PL most-AdADJ DEF earth-POST most-ADV be-SPEC PTCL, think-SPEC PTCL, but 1SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES INDEF.NEG police.person-ACC.NEG not.the.the least.ADV PTCL shoot be.willing
I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Earth, but I'm not about to shoot a cop.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Paatherye

1. Nēgay ēku āgime āthame cēnes pwayles.
[ˈneːɣai̯ ˈeːku ˈaːɣime ˈaːtʰame ˈt͡seːnes ˈpʷai̯les]
NEG.1SG 1SG.NOM stop.INF think.INF DEM.DIST.FEM.ALL girl.ALL

2. Tha sātin cērdadāșa sīnen khūraphār phati șērphime mē hāgāre.
[tʰa ˈsaːtin t͡seːɾðaˈðaːʃa ˈsiːnen kʰuːraˈpʰaːɾ ˈpʰati ˈʃeːɾpʰime meː haːˈɣaːɾe]
3SG.EXPL take.IPF.3SG.FEM forty-ten day.PL.ACC about to paint DEF.MASC.ACC castle.ACC

3. Ēku yas timū kārnume neyāsi prēyimyāru.
[ˈeːku jas ˈtimuː ˈkaːɾnume neˈjaːsi pɾeː.imˈjaːɾu]
1SG.NOM AUX.AOR AUX.HAB.PP bite.INF 1SG.POSS>FEM.ABL sandwich.ABL

4. i maynu prīpān cūm mētayu.
[fi ˈmai̯nu pɾiːˈpaːn t͡suːm ˈmeːtaju]
DEF.PL.NOM boy.PL.NOM run.IPF.3PL around=DEF city.LOC
The boys were running about town.

Nē me phāsur per he mi jātayukīra; yuwē ēs per kāsdiyu day hāmes dēthun kāseme thāfi tannē.
[neː me ˈpʰaːsuɾ peɾ he mi d͡ʒaːtayuˈkiːɾa | ˈju.eː eːs peɾ ˈkaːsði.u ðai̯ ˈhaːmes ˈðeːtʰun ˈkaːseme ˈtʰaːfi ˈtan.neː]
NEG.3SG.MASC DEF.MASC.NOM life.NOM about AUX.PREP.ALL DEF.MASC.LOC role_in_society.ALL; 3SG.MASC.NOM COP.3SG.NOM about do.GER.ALL 2SG.HON.NOM always want.IPF.2SG.HON do.INF REL.INAN.PL.ALL everything.COL.ALL

6. Ayēyas ēku phi ma sīcuwașa yam mey aydantur stāșulna ēphen, jū niyamay ēku mūdeme sā sīcuwaran.
[aˈjeːjas ˈeːku pʰi ma siːˈt͡suwaʃa jam mei̯ ai̯ˈðantuɾ staːˈʃulna ˈeːpʰen, d͡ʒuː niˈ.amai̯ ˈeːku ˈmuːðeme saː siːt͡suˈ.aɾan]
believe.OPT.1SG 1SG.NOM that DEF.FEM.NOM police.NOM have.3SG.FEM DEF.MASC.GEN world.GEN evil.SUP.PL.ACC people.PL.ACC, but NEG.COND.FUT.1SG 1SG.NOM kill.INF INDEF.FEM.ACC policewoman.ACC

New words for this challenge:
Spoiler:
șērphime v. - to paint, colour
Etymology: From an unknown substrate language. Proto-Ukari had the word from the same root (*hrpeh), but the language itself is not known.

hāgāra n. - castle
Etymology: From Amaderic barhāgāra big "house"

khūraphār adv. - about, approximately
Etymology: khūra "she approaches, comes close" + phār "target"

prēyimyār n. - sandwich
Etymology: prēyim "side" + pyār "bread", literally "side bread"

jātayukīr n. - denity, fate; predisposition; function, role (in society)
Etymology: from jātayu, the locative form of jāta "forehead" + skīr "writing, scripture", literally "writing on forehead". Similar etymologies exist in Persian and Armenian.

sīcuwașa n. - police; organisation of guardians
Etymology: from sīcume "to guard" + -wașa, an organisational suffix.
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

:con: Alál... again. (Seven years later.)

Làktasîṭalùx tùklumàl.
[ɐˈɬɑktɐziˌtʼɑɬox ˈftokɬʊmɑɬ]
la<à-ktv>s-îṭa-lù-x tù<kl>m<à>l
think.about<1.3-NEG>-be.able.to-CESS-VOL.ACT young.adult<that><PAT>

I can't stop thinking about that youth.

Símzılıí aṣùha ak·atìrrâram ak·ḳàutáu ḳàa x·kîahzáraıàx ḷásas.
[ˈsimʃɪɮˌji ɐˈt͡soʝ g‿ɐˈteraˌrɑm ˈᶰɢɑftav‿ɴɑ(ʕ) ˈx‿kiɑçʃarɐˌjɑχ ˈt͡ɬazɐs]
sı<ím>z-lı-í ṣa<ù#a>h ak=ta<ì-ŕ>r̀-vŕ-ŕà-m ak=taḳut<a#u>ŕ ta<a#a>ḳ x(a)=ka<ívr̀>hzaŕ-raı-à-x ḷás<a>s
duration<4.4PL>-rPST-STAT daytide<PAT> by=thirty_six<4-PL>-ATTR-approx.-STAT by=twelve<OBL> two<OBL> PAT=paint<4.3>-NOM.AGT-CONC-VOL.ACT stronghold<OBL>

The duration of the painting of the stronghold was about 50 days.
or
Kîahzalsarraıàx ṣàh ak·atìrrâram ak·ḳàutáu ḳàa ḷâsas.
[kiˈɑçʃɐlsɐrɐˌjɑχ ɐˈt͡sɑç g‿ɐˈteraˌrɑm ˈᶰɢɑftav‿ɴɑ(ʕ) t͡ɬaˈsɑs]
ka<ívr̀>hza<ls>ŕ-raı-à-x ṣa<à>h ak=ta<ì-ŕ>r̀-vŕ-ŕà-m ak=taḳut<a#u>ŕ ta<a#a>ḳ ḷás<à>s
paint<4.3><during>-CONC-VOL.ACT daytide<OBL> by=thirty_six<4-PL>-ATTR-approx.-STAT by=twelve<OBL> two<OBL> stronghold<PAT>

(Someone) painted the stronghold over 50 days.

Ṭıàtlıuùtìka tahìzakahàm.
[ˈtʼjɑtɬɪˌvoteg tɐˈçeʒɐgɐˌçɑm]
ṭı<và>t-lı-u-ù-tvr̀k-a tha<ìz>akah<à>m
bite<1.3>-rPST-eFUT-IM-MOM-VOL.ACT sandwich<4.1><PAT>

Ḳrıúmẓurlıḳàma haxı maıḳ.
[ŋ̍ˈrjumd͡ʒʊrɬɪˌɴɑm ˈçɐɣɪ mɐjŋ]
ḳru<ıv-ŕ>m-ẓr-lı-ḳàm-a hı<a#ı>x ma<aı>ḳ
gallavant<3-PL>-around.in-rPST-FREQ-VOL.ACT town<OBL> face<AGT>

The guys/people were running about town.

Xaìt·luár ulǐmuṭturaıı, xaùl·luár x·rímrîkıùlraıá îrıhrıkìrùlıṣìraııta.
[ˈxʕetɬfar ˈfɬemutʼʊrɐjɪ ˈxʕoɬfar ˌxrimriˈkeoɬrɐja iˈreçrɪˌkeroɮɪˌserɐjɪd]
x(a)=ìṭ=lu<uá>ŕ lu<ì-múṭ>t-raı-ı, x(a)=ùl=lu<uá>ŕ xa=rı<ím-1vŕkv>r̀-ùl-ra-ı-á vŕ-rı<ìh-ŕkvr̀>r̀-ùl-ıṣì-ra-ı-ıta
BEN=NEG=life<OBL> contribute.to<4-society>-NOM.OBL-DUR, BEN=AFF=life<OBL> PAT=act<4.4PL-allO>-AFF-NOM.OBL-DUR-XVOL.ACT INV-act<4.4-allS>-AFF-forever-DEO-NOM.OBL-DUR-XVOL.INV

Life isn't about contributing to society; life is about doing everything you ever wanted to do.

Ahàar·ráa zàa Sxıúrıẓǐh ẓáz xútaıs : ḷí·sa Krazxútaskataṭa·ḳíuàx.
[ɐˈçɑ(ʕ)raʕ‿ˈʃɑ(ʕ) ˌsxjurɪˈceiç ˈxudɐjs t͡ɬiz krɐʃˈxudɐskɐdɐtʼɐˌˀŋ̍ivɑχ]
ahà-àr=ráa zàa sxu<ıv-ŕ>r-ıẓì-í-h ẓa<á>z xút<aı>s ḷí=sa kra<az-xútas-ktv>ṭḳıŕ-u-à-x
in.opinion-HYP=this<OBL> 1<OBL> be_cruel<3-PL>-SUP-STAT-VOL.ACT world<OBL> police<AGT> however=that.OBL shoot<1-police-NEG>-DEO-CONC-VOL.ACT

I may believe that the police are the most evil people in the world, but I'm not going to shoot a cop.

Translation challenge: 12/100
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

:con: Rireinutire

saku kavena haveta seneta hopokaseva::1::
/ˈsɑku ˈkɑvenɑ ˈhɑvetɑ ˈsenetɑ ˈhopokɑˌsevɑ/
saku kave-na have-ta sene-ta hopo-ka-se-va ||
that.R.NOM woman-PTV think-INF stop-INF can-PRS-NEG-SENS ||

1. I can't stop thinking about that woman.

pikemu yunosi piti viiñuu payumu opekive::2::
/ˈpikemu ˈjunosi ˈpiti ˈviːŋuː ˈpɑjumu ˈopekive/
pike-mu yuno-si piti viiñuu payu-mu ope-ki-ve ||
castle-ACC paint-NMZ.NOM about fifty day-ACC take.time-PST-HSY ||

ñisa mano pakuparare tiasukivo::3::
/ˈŋisɑ ˈmɑno ˈpɑkuˌpɑɹɑɹe ˈtiɑsukivo/
ñisa ma-no pakupara-re tiasu-ki-vo ||
right.away 1S-GEN sandwich-ELA bite-PST-INFR ||

poyañumo miviha kimañukive::4::
/ˈpojɑˌŋumo ˈmivihɑ ˈkimɑŋukive/
poya-ñumo mivi-ha kima-ñu-ki-ve ||
girl-group.NOM town-ADE run-FREQ-PST-HSY ||

4. The girls were running about town.

vuisa ñarora miisire yakasevo: siki kaki koñemu teñesire yakavo sakimu miro teñeta netekivo::5::
/ˈvuisɑ ˈŋɑɹoɹɑ ˈmiːsiɹe ˈjɑkɑˌsevo || ˈsiki ˈkɑki ˈkoŋemu ˈteŋesiɹe ˈjɑkɑvo ˈsɑkimu ˈmiɹo ˈteŋeta ˈnetekivo/
vuisa ñaro-ra mii-si-re ya-ka-se-vo || siki kaki koñe-mu teñe-si-re ya-ka-vo saki-mu miro teñe-ta nete-ki-vo ||
life.NOM society-INE function-NMZ-ELA be-PRS-NEG-INFR || this.NOM which.REL everything-ACC do-NMZ-ELA be-PRS-INFR that-ACC ever do-INF want-PST-INFR ||

yaho hapikavo hii potipiñi Rireinuno rokumi roko yakavo· sika rañipiñina yunata nakaseva::6::
/ˈjɑho ˈhɑpikɑvo hiː ˈpotiˌpiŋi ˈɹiɹeˌinuno ˈɹokumi ˈɹoko ˈjɑkɑvo | ˈsikɑ ˈɹɑŋiˌpiŋinɑ ˈjunɑtɑ ˈnɑkɑˌsevɑ/
yaho hapi-ka-vo hii potipiñi Rireinu-no roku-mi roko ya-ka-vo | sika rañi-piñi-na yuna-ta na-ka-se-va ||
maybe believe-PRS-INFR that.CONJ police.NOM Rireinu-GEN evil-SUP people.NOM be-PRS-INFR | but law-AGZ-PTV kill-INF intend-PRS-NEG-SENS ||

6. I may believe that the police are the most evil people on Rireinu, but I'm not about to shoot a cop.

Translation challenge 47/100
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?