You'll own the world.

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Dormouse559

Re: You'll own the world.

Post by Dormouse559 »

Jackk wrote: 12 Jan 2019 02:10Thank you! It's the result of a merger between attentō "I try" and attendō "I wait". The descendant of the past participle of attendō - attentum - had previously shifted to atte(n)sum by analogy with prehendō, prehe(n)sum "I take, taken".
Then the merger spread this form to both verbs, and the descendant of attēsum is attis.
That's what I suspected. I did something similar in an earlier version of Silvish. [:D] The change in meaning is unique but believable.

Well, now I've got to try it in my romlang.

:con: Silvish

S' que vou ppusses s' que vou-z epprouves, lou mondou ettrà a vveû. Vou llou ses, noù ?
[ske.vup.pyˈsɛs ske.vu.zɛp.pʁuˈvɛs | luˈmɔ̃n.du ʔɛˈtʁa ʔɑˈvœː | vul.luˈsɛs ˈnu]
if SBRD 2P be_capable_of.PRS_SBJV-2P DEM REL 2P try-2P DEF-M.C world be-FUT.3S to 2P.DISJ | 2P 3S-ACC know-2P no
If you can do what you're trying to do, you'll own the world. You know that, don't you?
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Dormouse559 wrote: 12 Jan 2019 23:14 Silvish

S' que vou ppusses s' que vou-z epprouves, lou mondou ettrà a vveû. Vou llou ses, noù ?
[ske.vup.pyˈsɛs ske.vu.zɛp.pʁuˈvɛs | luˈmɔ̃n.du ʔɛˈtʁa ʔɑˈvœː | vul.luˈsɛs ˈnu]
if SBRD 2P be_capable_of.PRS_SBJV-2P DEM REL 2P try-2P DEF-M.C world be-FUT.3S to 2P.DISJ | 2P 3S-ACC know-2P no
If you can do what you're trying to do, you'll own the world. You know that, don't you?
Nice! [:D] Part ofnme is crying at ettrà but I like epprouves very much? Where is it from?
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Jackk wrote: 12 Jan 2019 23:20Nice! [:D] Part ofnme is crying at ettrà
It kind of had to happen because the usual ser- stem gets worn down to just s- with my sound changes.

Jackk wrote:but I like epprouves very much? Where is it from?
ex- + probo, like French éprouver "to test, to feel".
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Dormouse559 wrote: 13 Jan 2019 02:24 It kind of had to happen because the usual ser- stem gets worn down to just s- with my sound changes.
That makes sense. [:)]
Dormouse559 wrote: 13 Jan 2019 02:24 ex- + probo, like French éprouver "to test, to feel".
Oh of course! The Boral cognate is removed enough:
sprovar undergo, experience
that I didn't see the connection.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world