The Snowball Game returns

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: The Snowball Game returns

Post by Iyionaku »

Lao Kou wrote: 21 Sep 2019 22:35 *15 No self-respecting Géarthçins in their right mind would repeat the same word that many times. It's just unseemly. That's what "thkai" is for, placed before the verb. It deals with "over and over", "repeatedly", and "V and V" (eg. "They talked and talked."). For giggles, I repeated the verb once, but you'd be clipped at the knees by your fourth grade Géarthnuns teacher for writing or speaking like that within earshot of the school.
I'm pretty sure no self-respecting Englishman would say "shake shake shake shake shake shake" either. Kou, don't tell me there is no Géarthçin trash pop available! (G-Pop?)
Khemehekis wrote: 21 Sep 2019 06:31 14. Is ayarmas hames membades az pure hesias shil "wir" -- ar as meya zhikuo nodoi, isnaloshas.
1s hate-PRS this-PL couple-PL REL always talk-PRS as 3p 2s PRS person in_one's_own_right still 1s-assume-PRS
I hate these couples who always talk as "we", are you not a person on your own anymore?
Is this a mere coincidence that the word for "we" is the same as in German?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

15. Tèilora yibicet, vat tan romiatfadlac-lac-lac-lac-lac-lacet.
[ˈtɛɪ̯lɔ̈ɾɐ ɕɨˈbiːkət, vɐt tɐn ɾɔ̈mɪ̯ɐtɐdˈlak-lak-lak-lak-lak-lakət]
PROP PST-say-3SG, DEM 3SG.FEM.OBL shake_off{repeated}-3SG
Taylor said she was just going to shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake it off.

16. Vut yiciavet vuyacan pungaru pergocesce è gartialitesce - parfi, cen bul pungaru ciytó vit yidévenest can apárcamay pas poru.
[vʉt ɕɨˈkɪ̯aːʋət ˈvuːʃɐkɐn pʉnˈgaːɾʉ ˈpeɾgɔ̈ˌkeskə ɛ xɐɾˈtɪ̯aːlɨˌteskə, ˈpăɾi, kən bʉl pʉnˈgaːɾʉ ka̯iːˈtoː vɨt ɕɨˈdeːʋənəst‿ɐn ɐˈpaɾkɐmɐʃ pɐs ˈpoːɾu]
3SG.INDEF PST-there_is-3SG ant-PL on_and_in chicken-entire and potato_salad-entire, actually, 3PL COP.3PL on_and_in everything REL PST-have_left-1PLEX for lunch on grass
There were ants all over the chicken and the potato salad, well, everything in the basket which we had left on the grass for lunch.

17. Væn uzadoirin pès reo numuzad, vut ciavet aceretquota o'mancie!
[vən ˈuːɟɐˌdɔʊ̯ɾɨn pɛs ˈɾeː.ɔ̈ nʉˈmuːɟɐd, vʉt‿ˈɪ̯aːʋət ˈaːkəɾə̆ˈtoːtɐ ɔ̈ˈmaŋkɪ̯ə]
in=EPH city-close towards 1SG.POSS hometown, 3SG.INDEF there_is-3SG street-narrow.SUP DEF.GEN=world
In a city close to where I live, there is the narrowest street in the world!
(actually!)

Spoiler:
New/rethought words:

fadlaco [ɸɐdˈlaːkɔ̈] v. - to shake off, to get rid of it
Etymology: fad- "terminative prefix" + laca "to hit", inverse conjugation; literally "to stop being hit"

gartialit [gɐɾˈtɪ̯aːlɨt] n. - potato salad
Etymology: gartiu "potato" + gralit "salad"

pungaru [pʉnˈgaːɾʉ] prep. - around and inside, all over
Etymology: pun "in" + garu "around"

numuzad [nʉˈmuːɟɐd] n. - home town
Etymology: num "home" + uzad "city"
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

14. J' ayeus chou ccôplou qui se « nozoûyou » touddjeur, t' e ppû parsôn-a toû solê ?
[ʒəˈjœs ʃuˈkɔː.plu ki.se.nəˈzuː.ju tuˈʒœʁ tɛˈpyː pɑˈsɔ̃ː.ə tuː.səˈlɛː]
1S.NOM hate.1S DEM-M.C.PL couple REL-NOM REFL.3 call_"we" always | 2S be.2S no_longer person all alone.M.C

I hate these couples who always talk as "we", are you not a person on your own anymore?

15. Le Taylor di qu' ell' alloû fêri (ri) que s' in debaraché, debaraché, debaraché, debaraché, debaraché, debaraché.
[ləˈ… ˈdi kɛl.lɑˈluː ˈfɛː.ʁi (ˈʁi) ke.sɛ̃n.de.ba.ʁəˈʃe de.ba.ʁəˈʃe de.ba.ʁəˈʃe de.ba.ʁəˈʃe de.ba.ʁəˈʃe de.ba.ʁəˈʃe]
DEF.F.N Taylor say.PST.3S SBRD 3S.F.NOM go-IPF.3S do-INF (nothing) except 3.REFL of_it get_rid-INF get_rid-INF get_rid-INF get_rid-INF get_rid-INF get_rid-INF

Taylor said she was just going to shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake it off.

16. L' i-y avoû de fromî desus tou-t lê poullâlyi e ssalâde de tartîfla, bi, tou s' dyun lû panyû que no-z avoûyan lahhé desus l' èrbe pâ dinna.
[li.jəˈvuː de.fʁəˈmiː dəˈsys tu.tlɛː.puˈlɑː.ʎˑi ʔɛs.səˈlɑː.də de.tɑˈtiː.flə | ˈbi | ˈtu ˈzdjœ̃ŋ lyː.pəˈɲyː ke.no.za.vuˈjɑ̃ŋ lɑˈhe dəˈsys ˈlɛʁ.bə pɑː.dɛ̃ˈna]
3S there have-IPF.3S PART ant on all.OBL.F.C DEF-OBL.F chicken-OBL and salad-OBL of potato | well | everything DEM in DEF-OBL.M basket.OBL REL-ACC 1P have-IPF-1P leave-PST_PTCP on DEF grass-OBL for.DEF.M lunch

There were ants all over the chicken and the potato salad, well, everything in the basket which we had left on the grass for lunch.

17. Dyun in vil pres de hé moû se treùva la rû la plu-z ettroûtye dyun lû mòndi !
[ˈdjœ̃ŋ ɛ̃ˈvil ˈpʁɛs dəˈhe ˈmuː səˈtʁø.və ləˈʁyː la.ply.zɛˈtʁuː.tjə ˈdjœ̃ŋ lyˈmɔ̃n.di]
in INDEF.OBL.F city.OBL near of home_of 1S.DISJ 3.REFL find-3S DEF-F.C street DEF-F.C COMP narrow-F in DEF-OBL.M world-OBL

18. Hacca sammân-a, chett' egglîze bàlye de soùpa e dde pa a ppehheû dî villâjou.
[hɑk.ka.sɑ̃ˈmɑ̃ː.ə | ʃɛt.tɛˈgliː.zə ˈba.ʎˑə dəˈsu.pə ʔɛd.dəˈpa ʔɑp.pɛˈhœː diː.viˈlɑː.ʒu]
every week | DEM church give PART soup and PART bread to PL-fisherman-ACC of-DEF.M town

Every week, this church gives soup and bread to the town's fishermen.

New/rethought words + some notes
Spoiler:
ayi v - to hate
côplou nmc - couple
debaraché v - to clear; (reflexive) get rid of, shake off
fromî nfc - ant
poullâlye nfc - chicken meat
tartîfla nfc - potato

For 14, I just happened to be thinking about the verbs for using certain pronouns recently. Silvish natively has tutoûyé "address with tu", the informal second person pronoun, and vozoûyé "address with vou", the formal second person pronoun. So based on those, I made up nozoûyé, "address with nou", the first person plural pronoun. Add a reflexive pronoun, and it means "to refer to oneself with nou". It's not an actual word in the language, but native speakers would get the idea. I've seen that speakers of French have made similar extensions, postulating forms like nounoyer and noussoyer.

16 demonstrates several real-life terms distinctive to the French and Arpitan of the area where Silvish is spoken: poullâlye, tartîfla and dinna (when used to mean "lunch").
Edit: In 18, "fisherman" -> "fishermen"
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Iyionaku wrote: 23 Sep 2019 11:02 Is this a mere coincidence that the word for "we" is the same as in German?
Yes. Coincidences are bound to occur with some of the short, extremely-common words in a language. Kankonian has o (or), ad (to, for), ab (from), faz (to do), and wiri (man), to name a few that happen to sound like their equivalents in Romance languages. There are a handful of Germanic resemblances I can think of, such as zan (ten). Sometimes, though, I learn a word in a foreign language I didn't even know that sounds like a Kankonian word I have already created. Kiphi (millet), for instance, sounds like Japanese "kibi", and mesemiwa (weather) and telemis (student) sound something like their Arabic equivalents ("mesam" and "talib", respectively).

Then there's the odd case of houmanti, the question-relative for "how many", as in "I know how many gumballs are in the jar". It looks like a distortion of the English "how many", but it's actually anti (the Kankonian for "how much" or "how many"), plus the question-relative prefix houm-. Houm-, in turn, is a contraction of hous (the preposition "about") and ham (this, that). In other words, "about the how many". Houm- is actually used for all the question-relatives: to translate "where" in "I know where you live", for instance, you'd use houmiri.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

16. Omoles aen spash uphath mui beipfes, im, halis e veksas azid wir teyeven ash holak ad luzkat bamam.
ant-PL exist-PST all_over chicken and potato_salad well everything in basket REL-ACC 3p leave_behind-PST on grass for meal two-ORD

17. Er *uthis lit sarz wir ailiss, lat tri shizid er bayis aas!
LOC city near where 3p live-PRS street SUPL narrow LOC world exist-PRS

18. Kam hali spas, ham phirio ayinas yea mui vefaf ad vipotas na hagash.
on every week this church give-PRS soup and bread to fisherman of village
Every week, this church gives soup and bread to the town's fisherman.

19. Paul trayen mehim odum tri zaded sem khafires na wan ad zav id vithev na kamar.
Paul have_to-PST use right SUPL sharp among knife-PL of 3s for stab done_to meat of elephant
Paul had to use the very sharpest of his knives to stab the elephant meat.

For "town", I had to choose between *uthis (city) and hagash (village). I settled on the latter, because I figured that if the town has only one fisherman, it must be pretty small. Na (of) can mean "token of", as in "class clown" or "town drunk".
♂♥♂♀

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Khemehekis wrote: 04 Oct 2019 06:21For "town", I had to choose between *uthis (city) and hagash (village). I settled on the latter, because I figured that if the town has only one fisherman, it must be pretty small.
It appears I mistyped. [>_<] I meant plural "fishermen". I got the Silvish correct, but somehow neglected the plural in both the English and the gloss. Anywho, "town" feels closer to "village" for me than "city". But I have no idea how Kankonian divvies things up.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Dormouse559 wrote: 04 Oct 2019 06:58
Khemehekis wrote: 04 Oct 2019 06:21For "town", I had to choose between *uthis (city) and hagash (village). I settled on the latter, because I figured that if the town has only one fisherman, it must be pretty small.
It appears I mistyped. [>_<] I meant plural "fishermen". I got the Silvish correct, but somehow neglected the plural in both the English and the gloss. Anywho, "town" feels closer to "village" for me than "city". But I have no idea how Kankonian divvies things up.
Ah, I see. Sentence #18 retranslated and reglossed:

18. Kam hali spas, ham phirio ayinas yea mui vefaf ad vipotas na *uthis.
on every week this church give-PRS soup and bread to fisherman-PL of city

19. Paul trayen mehim odum tri zaded sem khafires na wan ad zav id vithev na kamar.
Paul have_to-PST use right SUPL sharp among knife-PL of 3s for stab done_to meat of elephant

Coincidentally, vipotas didn't need to change. The singular ending -as becomes -as in the plural, because all "soft" noun endings pluralize with -as. The closest equivalent in English would be verbs like "cut", "put", or "split" not changing in the past tense or past participle because of the way the /-t/ ending worked in Middle English.
Last edited by Khemehekis on 04 Feb 2020 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

18. Pèmi mifò, respúl è tecam dasoʻi vat bradnúm pès igatyoran on'aoda.
[ˈpɛmi mɨˈɸɔ̈ː, ˈɾəsˈpul ɛ ˈteːkɐm ˈdaːsɔ̈ʔɨ vɐ̆‿bɾɐdˈnuːm pɛs ɨˈxaːt͡ʃɔ̈ɾɐn ɔ̈nˈaʊ̯dɐ]
week-ENUM one-DISTR, soup and bread give-INV.3PL DEM church INDR fisherman.PL DEF.GEN=town

Yélian doesn't have the three way distinction of village-town-city like English does; an aoda is essentially everything with less than 15,000-20,000 people, an uzad is everything larger. Therefore it wouldn't have made a difference for me if there had only been one fisherman, or several.

19. Paul yivagirat to cusavetʻacana can tyapaset a'bades o'gravel.
[ˈpaʊ̯l ɕɨʋɐˈxiːɾɐt tɔ̈ ˈkuːsaʋətˈʔaːkɐnɐ kɐn t͡ʃɐˈpaːsət ɐˈbaːdəʃ ɔ̈ˈgraːʋəl]
Paul PST-NEC-use-JUS.3SG 3SG.MASC.POSS knive-sharp.SUP for POT-cut-3SG DEF.ANIM=meat DEF.GEN=elephant

20. Rob ibet polésritlocan u tivel, to arkuroidan tetacuruntoʻi u'piston o'palanpliat.
[ɾob ˈiːbə̆‿pɔ̈ˈleːsɾɨtˌloːkɐn u ˈtiːʋəl, tɔ̈ ˌaɾkʉˈɾɔʊ̯dɐn ˈtetɐkʉˈɾuntɔ̈ʔɨ ʉˈpistɔ̈n ɔ̈ˈpaːlɐnˌpli.ɐt]
Rob experience-3SG accident-so-many TEMP work, 3SG.MASC.POSS burn_mark-PL fast-COMP-change-INV.3PL DEF.INAN=underpant-PL DEF.GEN=people-other
Rob has so many accidents at work, he changes his burn marks faster than other people change their pants.
Spoiler:
Technically cheating, as "mark" was meant as a name in the wordlist, not as a noun, but oh well... even worse that I had to coin this word first:

arkuroides [ˌaɾkʉˈɾɔʊ̯dəʃ] - burn mark
Etymology: from arkuna "to burn oneself" and kroides "wound"
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

19. L' ettu Pôli uza son coûtel lo plu bbecu par pounyarta la vyànda d' elefan.
[lɛt.tyˈpɔː.li yˈza sɔ̃ŋ.kuˈtɛl lo.plyb.bəˈky pɑʁ.pu.ɲɑˈta ləˈvjɑ̃n.də de.ləˈfɑ̃ŋ]
3S be_necessary-PST.3S Paul-OBL use-INF 3S-POSS.M.C knife DEF-M.C SUP sharp.M.C for stab-INF DEF-F.C meat of elephant

20. Robeur l' a tantaman d' attchidan â travva qu' î hànji sa-z eccorhûra plu vvis qu' li-z âtrou hànjou de pantalwî.
[ʁəˈbœʁ la.tɑ̃n.təˈmɑ̃ŋ dɑt.tʃiˈdɑ̃ŋ ɑː.tʁɑˈva kiˈhɑ̃n̠.ʒi sa.zɛk.kɔˈhyː.ʁə plyˈvis kliˈzɑː.tʁu ˈhɑ̃n̠.ʒu de.pɑ̃n.təˈlɥiː]
Robert 3S have.3S so_many of accident at.DEF.M work SBRD 3S.NOM change-PRS_SBJV.3S 3S-POSS.F.C-PL burn_mark COMP fast than DEF-M.C-PL other change-3P of pants-OBL

Rob has so many accidents at work, he changes his burn marks faster than other people change their pants.

21. Î fé la trezimma cou dyun âtan de mou que vottri fyeû ettràche son pantalou.
[ʔiˈfe la.tʁe.zɛ̃m.məˈku ˈdjœ̃ŋ ɑˈtɑ̃ŋ dəˈmu ke.vɔt.tʁiˈfjœː ɛˈtʁa.ʃə sɔ̃m.pɑ̃n.təˈlu]
3S.NOM make.3S DEF-F.C third-F.C time in as_many of month SBRD 2.FORM-POSS-M.N son tear-3S 3S-POSS.M.C pants

That's the third time in as many months that your son has torn his pants.

New/rethought words:
Spoiler:
pounyar nmc - dagger (not used in this post)
pounyarta v - to stab (< pounyar)
vis adv - fast, quickly
vyànda nfc - meat
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Sadly, nobody seems to participate. I like this concept a lot, but I didn't want to reply immediately again just after Dormouse. Alas, I'll continue.

21. Vat bit titopod còl peretritlocan viyat sao napor yiscetet to naityel.
[vɐ‿bɨt ˈtiːtɔ̈pɔ̈d‿ɔ̈l ˈpeːɾətɾɨtˌloːkɐn ˈva̯iː.ɐt saʊ̯ ˈnaːpɔ̈d̟ ɕɨˈskeːtət tɔ̈ ˈnaɪ̯t͡ʃəl]
DEM COP.3SG.ANIM three-ORD-HAB whilst month-so-many that_at_that_time 2SG.POSS son PST-tear-3SG 3SG.MASC.POSS pant

22. A'bobas, a'pògresem, a'tuyem èn an'iton, tuyem èn an'iton...
[ɐˈboːbɐʃ, ɐˈpɔ̈gɾəsəm, ɐˈtuːʃəm ɛn ɐnˈiːtɔ̈n, ˈtuːʃəm ɛn ɐnˈiːtɔ̈n]
DEF.ANIM=head, DEF.ANIM=shoulder-DU, DEF.ANIM=knee-DU and DEF.ANIM=toe-PL, knee-DU and DEF.ANIM=toe-PL
Head, and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes...

New word:
Spoiler:
viyat [ˈva̯iːˌɐt] conj. - that at that time
Etymology: viy "at that time" + vat "demonstrative pronoun". There are a bunch of conjunctions working after that principle.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

20. Rob *aizias ampat apashapes er nagar az wan bedeyas khazides na virakh na wan re sheiz we de ever meyez bedeyas horoboses na mem.
Rob undergo-PRS so_many accident-PL LOC work that 3s change-PRS mark-PL of burn of 3s COMP fast ADV than other person-PL change-PRS pants of 3p

21. Ham as pes emam shuyes em drertes az kam yed ad ar hekrashenas horoboses na wan.
that PRS time three-ORD across three month-PL REL at son to 2s tear-PST-PRS pants of 3s

22. Bad mui stives mui bikhas mui kravikes; bikhas mui kravikes . . .
head and shoulder-PL and knee-PL and toe-PL knee-PL and toe-PL

23. Wan he az as raiga na is, is kunios dyu ama.
3s as that PRS game of 1s 1s help-FUT by play
It being my game, I'll help by playing.

NOTE: I had to make a creative decision in translating "changes his burn marks" in Sentence #20. I finally decided to use bedei, the verb for changing one's clothes, instead of ufoyan, the usual verb for changing, in both clauses.
♂♥♂♀

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

22. Tètta ê-y eppàlla, jin-oû ê-y arté, jin-oû ê-y arté …
[ˈtɛt.tə ʔɛː.jɛˈpɑl.lə | ʒŋ̩ˈuː ʔɛː.jɑˈte | ʒŋ̩ˈuː ʔɛː.jɑˈte]
head and shoulder | knee and toe | knee and toe

23. Come ll' i mmon jû, j' edyerê a ddjouyan.
[ko.mɛl.lɛ̃m.mɔ̃ˈʒyː | ʒe.djəˈʁɛː ɑd.dʒuˈjɑ̃ŋ]
because 3S be.3S 1S.POSS-M.C game | 1S.NOM help-FUT-1S by play-GER

24. Qui, d' appré toû, qu' î peu battî la bibliyotêca avan l' iver ?
[ˈki | dɑˈpʁe ˈtuː | kiː.pø.bɑˈtiː la.bi.bli.jəˈtɛː.kə ʔəˈvɑ̃ŋ liˈvɛʁ]
who | of after 2S.DISJ | REL 3S.NOM.M be_able.3S build DEF-F.C library before DEF winter

Who do you think can build the library before winter?
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

It's not an easy task to join the game late, but we will see how far I get.
Ptila is far from ready, but I can figure out what it lacks during the game.

1. Jim felt a tap on his shoulder, and it was Kate.

['ɟimu lu a 'skʰjotwa 'kʰopʰu ŋo 'ɕo.u 'kʰatʰe]
Jimu lu a skyotwa kopu ngo xou Kate.
J l-u a SM_tkyotwa kopu ngo SM_cou K
J SG3-SENSORY PST_PERF feel touch_INDEF and it K.

"cou" usually corresponds to French "voila".

2. Ethan apologized for letting his little brother freeze his tongue to the metal stick.

[e'tʰalu luazbu'ctʰuɕu pʰa'mucʰja am̥n̥ʰwoɟo'kʰula 'ptʰaɕwe a'n̥ɲ̥ʰjogje joɕo'bjeɟja 'dino]
Etalu lu a sbuctuxu pa mucya a mnhwojokula pcaxwe a nnjhyogye yo xobyejya dino
E l-u a SM_dbuctuxu pa NM_mucua a MN_ptwoja<ok><ul> pcaxwe a NM_tcyogye yo NM_xobyejya dino*
E SG3-SENSORY PST_PERF concerning allowing his sibling<young><male> freeze his tongue in stick iron.

*I have no idea how 'stich of iron' should be expressed. ATM "dino" just stands after "xobyejya" in juxtaposition.

3. The big rock fell down the mountain, killing three people.

[pʰwa'ŋapʰa luahwe'sunje mna'calja ŋo'tʰonjo 'wotʰa 'n̥ʰekʰjo]
Pwangapa lu a hwesunye mna calya ngo tonjyo wota nhekyo.
pwang<ap>a l-u a SM_kwesunye mna calya SM_ptonjyo wota NMtekyo
stone<big> SG3-SENSRY PST_PERFVE descend from mountain and kill three person

4. Which gloves shall I wear to the theatre?

[tkʰja'djedwe bduwenŋjo'gitʰi 'joɕe pʰe sjopkʰuŋe a'zbupʰi]
Tkyadyedwe bdu we nngyogiti yoxe pe syopkunge a sbupi.
tkyadyedwe bd-u NMdgyogiti yoxe pe tyopkunge a SMdbupi
glove SG1.Q-SENSORY wear which in_order_to SMuse in theater
Lit. 'Gloves, will I wear which in order to use in theater.'

pe + nasal mutation is 'concerning'
pe + soft mutation is 'in order to / for' (similar semantics to Russian "чтобы")

I had problems with choosing correct Epistemic here. It's surely nor Egophoric, because I don't know which gloves to have. It is not Reportative either. In some sense "should" could be translated with the Fact Epistemic, but I think the idea of the question is not to ask which gloves are conventional for theater. I ended up to Sensory because its usually the default, but I don't know how languages with evidentiality usually handle nonfactual sentences.

5. I'll help you with your homework, as long as you stop stealing my books.

['demne we'mɲemjo m̥n̥ʰe'sanwe pʰe'ɲnjone 'ɲuo 'mneja ɕacpʰeɕa 'm̥ʰesi la'n̥ʰugɟa]
Demne we mnjemyo mnhesanwe pe njnyone njuo mneya xacpexa mhesi la nhugja.
d-e-mne we NM_bjemyo NM_ptesanwe pe NM_jdyone njuo mneya xacpexa NM_pesi SM_da NM_tuga<c>
SG1S-EGO-SG2O FUT.PERFVE start help PRERP homework when you stop steal my book<pl>

Ptila does not use perfectives as incoatives.

6. It feels a little wrong, but doesn't his wife look like his mother, just younger?

['le jo'coɕu pʰimje'ɟiɕja, 'le.e sa:madu'kʰewo 'dbwodjw kpʰecʰa ŋi'dwewa, 'pʰola badu'kʰokʰjo]
Le yo coxu pimyejixya, lee sa a madukewo dbwodye kpeca ngidwewa, pola badukokyo.
l-e yo SM_pcoxu pimyejya<ix> lee s-a NM_badukyo<ew>dbwodye ngidwa<ew> pola badukyo<ok>
SG3-EGO PROG feels wrong<a_little> but SG3-FACT POSS_PRON spouse appear-ACTOR_N parent<female> just spouse<young>
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Omzinesý wrote: 16 Dec 2019 15:07 It's not an easy task to join the game late, but we will see how far I get.
I get that; I never fully caught up on the old game. But I know you can do it! [:D] What happened there was you did a few catch-up sentences, and then added a new sentence so the game could keep moving. Personally, I also did the sentences that were added after I started.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

For numbers 1-24, translations and phonemic transcriptions only...
Spoiler:
1. Jakkob viels aan tap on his schuuder, ann det wes Katterine.
/jakob viːls aːn tap on hɪs ʒuːdər anː dɛt vɛs katəriːnə/

2. Êtan annschúldies vor letenn his jungere bróder his tunng on aan mêtelbaar vróse.
/etan anʒʏldiːəs vor lɛːtənː hɪs jʊŋgŋərə bɾøːdər hɪs tʊŋː on aː metəlbaːr vɾøːzə/

3. De mikkel rok vêl vram det bórrow, sleann drey mên.
/də mɪkəl rok vel vɾam dɛt bœroʊ slɛːnː dɾɛɪ men/

4. Welk glóven schel ik tó det theater wêre?
/vɛlk gløːvən ʒɛl ɪk tøː dɛt te.atər verə/

5. Ik wil deyn huuswêrk mêke, solangg du stopst myn buikes stêle.
/ɪk vɪl dɛɪn huːsveɾk mekə sɔːlaŋː duː stopst mɛɪn bœɪkəs stelə/

6. Mie dúnks aan bitkin unwuly, ak lykt his wyf of his móder ak junger, nê?
/miː dʏŋks aːn bɪtkɪn ʊnvuːliː ak lɛɪkt hɪs vɛɪf of hɪs møːdər ak jʊŋgər ne/

7. Wen aan of daa spyder-huntenn drênge aan great spyder mid aan errow schotte hat, man kan det head of det vorseyd spyder klóve.
/vɛn aːn of daː spɛɪdər hʊntenn dɾeŋgə aːn gɾɛːt spɛɪdər mɪd aːn ɛroʊ ʒotə hat man kan dɛt hɛːd of dɛt voɾzɛɪd spɛɪdər kløːvə/

8. Wear hast du det grienn weyn dó, det ik die leye hêt?
/vɛːr hast duː dɛt gɾiːnː vɛɪn døː dɛt ɪk diː lɛɪ.ə het/

9. Kristine mêks hir aun briek vor de au daa briek by det schop sinn eywedder tó schort od tó lanng.
/kɾɪstiːnə meks hɪr aʊn briːk vor də aʊ daː bɾiːk bɛɪ dɛt ʒop zɪn ɛɪvɛdər tøː ʒoɾt od tøː laŋː/

10. Wyl wêrenn his headfoons kuud nê Andreas hiere det hir móder is in his ruum kume ann hie wes nê glóly vorruisched.
/vɛɪl verənː hɪs hɛːdfɔːns kuːd ne andreas hiːrə dɛt hɪr møːdər ɪs ɪn hɪs ruːm kuːmə anː hiː vɛs ne ɡløːliː vorœɪʒəd/

11. Vor de ik elny niw dingen onginn, jestrendey mêked ik kuukje sunder eyren ann mêlk - ak hey werre nê gúed.
/vor də ɪk ɛlniː niʊ dɪŋɡən onɡɪn jɛstrəndɛɪ mekəd ɪk kuːkjə zʊndər ɛɪrən anː melkak hɛɪ vɛrə ne ɡyːd/

12. Ik wil bluid of die spiue, próest, so det du geast bute det schêdow of det sorow of dyn lann smêke.
/ɪk vɪl blœɪd of diː spiʊə pɾøːst zɔː dɛt duː ɡɛst buːtə dɛt ʒedoʊ of dɛt zɔɾoʊ of dɛɪn lanː smekə/

13. Wet vor scherp tied hat det liw!
/vɛt vor ʒɛɾp tiːd hat dɛt liʊ/

14. Ik hêt daa paaren det elny “wit” seyes. Art du nê lênger dyn aun pêrson?
/ɪk het daː paːrən dɛt ɛlniː vɪt zɛɪəs aɾt duː ne leŋɡər dɛɪn aʊn peɾzon/

15. Taylor seyde det hú geas ofschêke, ofschêke, ofschêke, ofschêke, ofschêke, ofschêke.
/... zɛɪdə dɛt hyː ɡɛːs ofʒekə ofʒeke ofʒeke ofʒekə ofʒekə ofʒekə/

16. Dear weres emetten aun det tschikken ann det órdeppelsalat, jea, au daa dingen in det mann det wie on det gres vor middeymeal leaved haddes.
/dɛːr wɛːrəs ɛːmətən aʊn dɛt dʒɪkənvlɛːʃ anː dɛt œɾdɛpəlzaːlat jɛː aʊ daː dɪŋɡən ɪn dɛt manː dɛt viː on dɛt drɛs vor mɪd.dɛɪmɛːl lɛːvəd hadəs/

17. In aan burrow neych wear ik wun, dear is det nerowest streat in det wroud!
/ɪn aːn bʊroʊ nɛɪx vɛːr ɪk vʊn dɛːr ɪs dɛt nɛːroʊəst stɾɛːt ɪn dɛt vroʊd/

18. Ealk wik gêves diss kirkje suup ann bread tó daa vischer of det stêd.
/ɛːlk vɪk ɡevəs dɪs kɪɾkjə zuːp anː bɾɛːd tøː daː vɪʒər of dɛt sted/

19. Paul most det swyd scherpest knyve of his vor det êlefantvleasch stikke.
/paʊl most dɛt svɛɪd ʒɛɾpəst knɛɪv of hɪs vor dɛt eləfantvlɛːʃ stɪkə/

20. Robert hat so vêl unvauen by wêrk det hi his brinne swifter dan óeder mên wendes hór briek wends.
/robɛɾt hat zɔː vel ʊnvaʊən bɛɪ veɾk dɛt hiː hɪs brɪnə svɪftər dan øːdər men vɛndəs hœr bɾiːk vɛnds/

21. Det’s det drid meal in mêniewys mónede det dyn sun his briek torre hat.
/dɛts dɛt dɾɪd mɛl ɪn meniːvɛɪs møːnəd dɛt dɛɪn zʊn hɪs bɾiːk torə hat/

22. Head, schuudern, knó ann taan, knó ann taan.
/hɛːd ʒuːdəɾn knøː anː taːn knøː anː taːn/

23. Wyl hit myn gêm is, ik gaa durch spillenn helpe.
/vɛɪl hɪt mɛɪn gem ɪs ɪk gaː dʊɾx spɪlən hɛlpə/

24. Wa denkst du kan det bóekhuus vor winter búlde?
/waː dɛŋkst duː kan dɛt bøːkhuːs vor vɪntər bʏldə/
There's all sorts of notes that could be said about those translations, but the only one I feel absolutely has to be said is that in (14) I translated the "we" as 'wit' which is the first person dual. Weddisch no longer has this pronoun, but it stuck around long enough to be used in some poetry and so thus has a similar status in Weddisch that 'thou' and 'ye' do in Modern English. In this case, I think the idea that a couple would use this archaic, poetic form to refer to themselves would be understood as being especially annoying.

25. Pêter lústs of det singenn of his douchter.
/petər lʏsts of dɛt zɪŋgənː of hɪs doʊxtər/
Peter listen-3.SG of DEF sing-PRS.PART of 3.SG.POSS daughter

'Peter listens to his daughter's singing.'
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

23. Liyd vat bit reo apin, robaldai iuvat ropinai.
[la̯iːd vɐ‿bɨt ˈɾeː.ɔ̈ ˈaːpɨn, ɾɔ̈ˈbaldaɪ̯ ˈɪ̯uːʋɐt ɾɔ̈ˈpiːnaɪ̯]
because DEM COP.3SG.ANIM 1SG.POSS game, FUT-help-1SG through_that FUT-play-1SG

24. Pe anei, ya tyacratet u'riunúm siy fròstes?
[pə ˈaːnɛɪ̯, ʃa t͡ʃɐˈkɾaːtət ʉɾɨ.ʉˈnuːm sa̯iː ʰɾɔ̈stəs]
what think-2SG, who POT-build-3SG DEF.INAN=library before winter
Who do you think can build the library before winter?

25. Pato cariyet cet to nepia iádamet.
[ˈpaːtɔ̈ kɐˈɾa̯iːət‿ət tɔ̈ ˈneːpɪ̯ɐ ˈɪ̯aːdɐmət]
PROP listen-3SG how 3SG.MASC.POSS daughter sing-3SG
Peter listens to his daughter's singing.

26. Cimegmeyas ùlekbitan o'espan væn uzadan.
[kɨməgˈmeːʃɐs ˈʉləˌbɨtɐn ɔ̈ˈʔespɐn vən ˈuːɟɐdɐn]
NEG-PERM-feed-JUS.2SG type-certain-PL DEF.GEN=bird-PL in=EPH city-PL
Feeding certain types of birds in cities is not allowed.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

26. L' e ddefindû de norî sêquin tîpo d' oujê dyun le ttchittâ.
[lɛd.de.fɛ̃ˈdyː de.nəˈʁiː sɛː.kɛ̃ˈtiː.pə duˈʒɛː ˈdjœ̃ŋ lɛt.tʃiˈtɑː]
3S be.3S forbid-PST_PTCP of feed-INF certain.M.C type of bird-PL in DEF-F.C.OBL.PL PL-city]

27. Justi l' a-t in-a foto d' u-ny ômi a mmantel roûjo desus su refrijerateû.
[ʒyˈsti la.tẽ.a.fəˈto dyˈɲˑɔː.mi ɑ̃m.mɑ̃ˈtɛl ˈʁuː.ʒə dəˈsys sy.ʁe.fʁi.je.ʁa̝ˈtœː]
Justin 3S have.3S INDEF-F photograph of INDEF.ACC man-OBL at coat red-M.C on 3S.POS-OBL.M.C refrigerator

Justin keeps a photograph of a man in a red coat on his refrigerator.
Tjagotje
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Tjagotje »

In Vicpika (English derived conlang)

26. Fiidn sm teep obad isetci nat ûtci
[fi:dn̩ sm̩ te:p o'bɑd i'se.t͡ʃi nɑt u:'t͡ʃi]
Feeding some type of-bird in-city not allowed.

27. Jasn tciip män iwäd kuut mfuutu nfwej
[ʒɑsn̩ t͡ʃi:p mæn iwæd ku:t m̩fu:tu n̩fʷeʒ]
Justin keep man in-red coat POSS-foto on-fridge

28. Muviv pwepweese, su viv ste inuum
['muv.iv pʷe'pʷe:se, su viv ste inu:m]
Movie-PST INT-pricey, so we-PST stay in-home.
The movie was too expensive, so we stayed home.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Fascinating English descendant! Am I correct in guessing that "ûtci" is derived from the English word "OK"? And I love "pwepweese" for "too pricey"!
♂♥♂♀

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

28. Lo film couttoû tro hê, allôra on ett resta a lla mezoû.
[ləˈfil kuˈtuː tʁəˈhɛː | ʔɑˈlɔː.ʁa õ.ɛt.tʁəˈsta ʔɑl.la.məˈzuː]
DEF-M.C movie cost-IPF.3S too expensive | so 1P be.3S stay-PST_PTCP.M.N at DEF-F.C house

29. Marivâte pa ll' amour ou ppa dî tou, mon infan.
[ma.ʁiˈvɑː.tə pɑl.la̝ˈmuʁ ʔuˈpa diˈtu | mõ.ɛ̃ˈfɑ̃ŋ]
marry-IMP.2S-2S.REFL for DEF love or NEG of-DEF.M all | 1S.POSS-M.C child

Marry for love or not at all, my child.

A rethought word: marivâ v - marry off, join in marriage; (reflexive) get married
Finally, my sound changes give me a reflex of marito that I like.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

27. Aius iypet foto o'broya fecun cliquornel cer to fredeider.
[ˈaːɪ̯ʉs ˈa̯iːpət ˈɸoːtɔ̈ ɔ̈ˈbɾoːʃɐ ˈɸeːkʉn ˈkliːkɔ̈ɾˌnel kəd̟ to ʰɾəˈdɛɪ̯dəd̟]
PROP keep-3SG photograph DEF.GEN=man with coat-red at_DAT 3SG.MASC.POSS fridge

28. U'cleiti yuitlorobut, pariút yaistest iutpilat.
[ʉˈklɛɪ̯tɨ ʃutˈloːɾɔ̈bʉt, pɐˈɾɪ̯uːt ˈʃaɪ̯stəst ɪ̯ʉˈpiːlɐt]
DEF.INAN=movie PST-too-expensive-COP.3SG.INAN, therefore PST-stay-1PLEX at_home

29. Kustas can iava ù cècikustas, reo îyi.
[ˈkustɐʃ kɐn ˈɪ̯aːʋɐ ʉ ˌkɛkɨˈkustɐʃ, ˈɾeː.ɔ̈ ˈiːɕi]
marry-JUS.2SG for love XOR not_at_all-marry-JUS.2SG, 1SG.POSS child
Marry for love or not at all, my child.

30. Vigo ebei pas paran ilvató, cirobocei yakor poucirosandei aivaltafairat.
[ˈviːxɔ̈ ˈeːbɛɪ̯ pɐs ˈpaːɾɐn ˌilvɐˈtoː, kɨɾɔ̈ˈboːkɛɪ̯ ˈʃaːkɔ̈d̟ pɔʊ̯kɨɾɔ̈ˈsandɛɪ̯ aɪ̯ˈʋaltɐˌfaɪ̯ɾɐt]
if lie-2SG on bed day-COL, NEG-FUT-become-2SG scientist and-NEG-FUT-find-2SG wife-good
If you lie in your bed all day, you will neither become a scientist nor will you find a good wife.