WW2 German Meaning Of Drahtnetzeinschiebvorrichtung

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Pon
rupestrian
rupestrian

WW2 German Meaning Of Drahtnetzeinschiebvorrichtung

Post by Pon »

First a slight warning; this is a serious subject of course and I might, with your permission of course, use your answers as a defence against holocaust deniers, especially if you are a linguistic expert but also if I find your answer informed. I do encourage any information on this though. I will ask before I use your answer and you can PM me privately if you do not wish for me to use your answer.

Background; this item was in the inventory lists of one of the crematoria in Auschwitz, it is the only evidence in the documents (there might be one more document that mentions it but not this clearly and I haven't actually seen it) of the introduction devices used to pour Zyklon-B into the gas chambers. All other evidence, as far as I know, is witness testimony (something that deniers usually don't accept).

Holocaust deniers argument; that the device in the list could just as easily have been a "sliding" device that is meant for any openings, like this image (http://vho.org/GB/c/SC/inconpressac_files/gsMANNES.GIF), or sliding mesh screens that slid into ventilation openings.

Official argument; that it should be translated as wire-net introduction device, or wire-net sliding device, and that it would mean the wire-net columns used to insert the Zyklon-B gas pellets into the gas-chambers. The columns did have a inner-column that slided in so both insert and sliding meaning of the word can be used.

From https://phdn.org/archives/holocaust-his ... inventory/:
der Draht - wire
das Netz - grid, net
einschieben - insert
die Vorrichtung - device, mechanism

My question is threefold; first, do you think the official explanation makes more sense than the holocaust deniers? Second, could Vorrichtung instead of device mean contraption (as something more complex than a simple device)? Third, would slide or sliding be a more sensible word to use instead of insert for einschieben?

It would be best if your answers were applicable to 1940's language, but I accept any answers and ideas.

Thank you.