"An open letter to the fat, arrogant, anti-charismatic national embarrassment known as president John Adams."

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
rainbowcult
rupestrian
rupestrian

"An open letter to the fat, arrogant, anti-charismatic national embarrassment known as president John Adams."

Post by rainbowcult »

Raer bukuun mamto maevuka sufu raga lowostke, vaetae, waenae malaeve nifaetun guyae JohnAdams.
(I don't know the IPA yet, but the Faeran phonetics are fairly similar to English.)
This is letter public to the fat resembling, arrogant, rude national embarrassment seen as by his peers as ruler JohnAdams.

I really like Hamilton, I'm currently in the process of translating the entire cut rap in the Adams Administration :)
♂♥♂♀
Dormouse559

Re: "An open letter to the fat, arrogant, anti-charismatic national embarrassment known as president John Adams."

Post by Dormouse559 »

Interesting translation challenge [:D] What do you think "anticharismatic" means? Urban Dictionary tells me "anticharisma" is when one enjoys the benefits of charisma (attention, popularity …) without actually being charismatic. I decided to translate that in my conlang as "overrated".

Image Silvish:

Una letra overta a la vargonye nasyonala sovremeddrava, aroganta e grosa k' on apela lo preziden John Adams
[ʔy.ŋaˈlɛ.tʁa ʔəˈvɛʁ.ta ʔa.la.vɑˈgo.ɲˑə na.sjŋ̩ˈa.la so.vʁe.mɛˈdʁa.va ʔa.ʁəˈgɑ̃n.ta ʔəˈgʁo.sa ko.ŋaˈpɛ.la lo.pʁezᵊˈdɛ̃ŋ ˈdʒɔn ʔaˈdɑmz]
INDF-F.C letter open-F.C to DEF-F.C shame national-F.C overrated-F.C arrogant-F.C and fat-F.C REL.OBL PRO call-3S DEF-M.C president John Adams

An open letter to the fat, arrogant, anti-charismatic national embarrassment known as president John Adams
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Re: "An open letter to the fat, arrogant, anti-charismatic national embarrassment known as president John Adams."

Post by Reyzadren »

:con: griuskant (without script here)

ki hedi coyegi ashpoizhi sytroshonmaule jon aedems sytroshjaete zhe tupilsi nezouv.
/ki 'hədi 'tʃɔjəgi 'aʃpɔiʒi 'sYtrɔʃɔnmaulə 'dʒɔn 'edəms 'sYtrɔʃdʒetə 'ʒə 'tupilsi 'nəzɔuv/
to fat-A arrogant-A anti-social-A country-EB-PASS-shame-N John Adams country-lead-N this public-A message
Last edited by Reyzadren on 09 Sep 2020 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

Malfobarvasi mia pès urdasǽcadarcenacaprésèdreinènatal, téviter yivitarit a'presidént John Adams.
[ˈmaːlɔ̈ˌbaɾvɐsi ˈmi.ɐ pɛs ʉɾdɐˈsœːkɐdɐɾkəˌnaːkɐˌpɾesɛˌdɾɛɪ̯nɛˌnaːtɐl, ˈteːʋɨtəd̟ ɕɨʋɨˈtaːɾɨt ɐˈpɾəsɨˈdent t͡ʃɔ̈n ˈaːdɐms]
letter-public-ENUM one towards embarrasment-national-NEG-affluent-and-arrogant-and-fat, REL.ANIM.MASC PST-call-INV.3SG.ANIM DEF.ANIM=president PROP PROP
An open letter to the fat, arrogant, anti-charismatic national embarrassment known as president John Adams

One note to the text: you might have seen the monster word urdasǽcadarcenacaprésèdreinènatal, consisting of no less than 34 letters. Let me explain something to that. Long-time lurkers of Yélian might know that adjectives and most adverbs never appear as their independent words, but rather as a word class called "classifiers", bound morphemes to verbs and nouns.
While in theory you can concatenate as many of these classifiers to a noun as you like, usually you limit yourself to one or two for stylistic purposes and resort to subordinate clauses instead. However, if you do it, it's almost always for dramatic purposes, and it's never meant positively.

Therefore, if a Yélian ends up seeing such a monster word in a headline, he immediately knows this is going to be a rant and he is immediately interested!
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Iyionaku wrote: 07 Sep 2020 08:08 urdasǽcadarcenacaprésèdreinènatal
embarrasment-national-NEG-affluent-and-arrogant-and-fat
So it's just a coincidence that the end of the word, -présèdreinènatal, looks like "president"?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Khemehekis wrote: 07 Sep 2020 09:05
Iyionaku wrote: 07 Sep 2020 08:08 urdasǽcadarcenacaprésèdreinènatal
So it's just a coincidence that the end of the word, -présèdreinènatal, looks like "president"?
Actually, yes! President is presidént in Yélian. The word can be broken down as follows:

urdasé-acadar-ce-nacaprés-è-drei-nè-natal

None of the tree words nacaprés "eloquent, articulate", drei "arrogant" or natal "fat" was coined for the challenge, so yes, it was a complete coincidence I haven't even realized.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.