7 Wonders of the World

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

7 Wonders of the World

Post by Reyzadren »

:eng: English
The 7 Wonders of the World are _____, _____, _____, _____, _____, _____ and _____.

Feel free to translate in terms of rl/altworld/conworld/etc.

:con: griushkoent

ilzensgroug az yskundenkayoec, skartkayoec, huighaerks ijgawaush, oelzskansend, aunttaevkxurg, saeththafgoilsen un jaepcoend.
/'ilzənsgrɔug az 'Yskundənkajɯtʃ, 'skartkajɯtʃ, 'huigherks 'idʒgawauʃ, 'ɯlzskansənd, 'aunttevkɣurg, 'seθθafgɔilsən un 'dʒeptʃɯnd/
very-N-PASS-PL-place is multi-stand-N-PASS-tower, slant-tower, fight-field-PL advance-hall, great-front-N-PASS-T3, square-pyramid-monolith, king-love-dome-PL-N-PASS and free-statue
The 7 Wonders of the World are the Eiffel Tower, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Colosseum, Great Wall, Pyramids, Taj Mahal and the Statue of Liberty.

*Despite my conlang obviously originating from its own world, I decided to translate this sentence as if these rl places were to be magically teleported to the associated world and rephasecomposed into their fantasy analogues, then were to be described with someone's own background.
Last edited by Reyzadren on 07 Sep 2023 00:37, edited 4 times in total.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: 7 Wonders of the World

Post by eldin raigmore »

If we’re doing the 7 Modern Wonders of the Modern World, we should probably include NASA’s Vehicle Assembly Building.
If we’re sticking to the 7 Ancient Wonders of the Ancient World, we need to omit the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty; they’re Modern.
And the Tower of Pisa is Medieval or Renaissance, so it’s also not Ancient.

Of course not every composer of a list of Wonders could know about the whole world even in their own time before Marco Polo’s or Columbus’s voyages. So no Ancient writer in the Mediterranean world would include the Great Wall, though perhaps it would have existed when they would have been writing.

I wonder whether there should be wonders-lists by millennium or by continent or something?

I probably should admit my remarks won’t carry much weight until I post my own “translation”.