Museum hours

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Dormouse559

Museum hours

Post by Dormouse559 »

Adapted liberally from this sign. How does your 'lang communicate closing for the night versus closing permanently?

Image Silvish

Lo muzé euvre kan ke jho m' levesso y î fréma kan ke jho me dus koûçhé. Kan ke jh' en éyo pa desû li tes̄te, î fremarà pa de bon.
[lo.myˈze ˈʔø.vʁə kɑ̃ŋ.ke.ʒo.mləˈvɛːs jiˈfʁe.ma kɑ̃ŋ.ke.ʒo.me.dyk.kuˈxe | kɑ̃ŋ.kɛʒˈŋɛːj pɑdˈsyː liˈtɛt.tə | iː.fre.maˈʁa pɑdˈbɔ̃ŋ]
DEF-NOM.M.C museum open-3S when SBRD 1S.NOM 1S.REFL get_up-IPF_SBJV-1S and 3S.NOM.M close-3S when SBRD 1S.NOM 1S.REFL must-IPF_SBJV go_to_sleep-INF | when SBRD 1S.NOM of_it have.PRS_SBJV by on DEF-OBL.F.C head-OBL | 1S.NOM.M close-FUT-3S for PART good

The museum opens when I wake up and closes when I must go to sleep. When I have had enough, it will close for good.

New vocabulary:
en avé pa desû li tes̄te v. phr. - to have enough; to be fed up (~"to be over one's head in it")
muzé nmc - museum (borrowing < Fr. musée)
pa de bon adv. phr. - for good; permanently
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Re: Museum hours

Post by Reyzadren »

:con: griuskant (without script here)

zerio oezzaugan ocvozh zauskand. at doinsi zher yujand.
/'zəriɔ 'ɯzzaugan 'ɔtʃvɔʒ 'zauskand. 'at 'dɔinsi ʒər 'judʒand/
museum intra-open-V-PASS if-when wake-V-PASS-T3. V-PST boring-PL-A then last-V-PASS-T3
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

U'maranból tefendut nat ergatai èpa aclut nat ianperínevas. Nat cesinasbai, rauclut na neyevalta.
[ʉˌmaːɾɐɱˈboːl təˈɸendʉt nɐt əɾˈgaːtaɪ̯ ˈɛpɐ ˈaklʉt nɐt ɪ̯ɐɱpəˈɾiːnəʋɐʃ | nɐt‿əˈsiːnɐsbaɪ̯, ˈɾaʊ̯klʉt nɐ ˌneːʃəˈvaltɐ]
DEF.INAN=museum open-INV.3SG.INAN when wake_up-1SG and close-INV.3SG.INAN when NEC-go_to_sleep-JUS.1SG | when worn_out-COP.1SG, FUT-close-INV.3SG.INAN until forever
The museum opens when I wake up and closes when I must go to sleep. When I have had enough, it will close for good.

Instead of using the adverbial phrase na neyevalta "until forever", you could also use the terminative prefix fad-. Together with the verb acla "to close" it would then mean "to finish up closing".

Nat cesinasbai, rofadaclut.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Utseech

De bweum öffnet, wejn il ufseh ûd as şumakt, wejn il buss gâgech pejnech. Wejn il hav faxejdick, as abshie nompe.
[də ˈbweː.ʊm ˈœfnət, wɛɪ̯n ɪɫ ˈufseː ʊ˞d as ˈʃuːmakt, wɛɪ̯n ɪɫ bʊs ˈgɚgəç ˈpɛɪ̯nəç. wɛɪ̯n ɪɫ haf ˈfaksɛɪ̯dɪk, as ˈabs.hiə̯ ˈnɔmpə]
DEM.COM museum open-3SG, when 1SG.NOM get_up.1SG and 3SG.NEUT.NOM close-3SG, when 1SG.NOM must.1SG go.INF sleep.INF | when 1SG.NOM have.1SG enough, 3SG.NEUT.NOM close-3SG completely

:con: Caelian

Meranbuil pudbic Rar, mun Rar bupwap, pëc cuvtic Rar, mun Rar purhangtyëdëv. Vür Rar cavtenkyos byäis, meranbapil byäis.
[mɛranˈbuɪ̯l pʰudˈbiç rah, mun rah bupˈwap, pəç ʝufˈtʰiç rah, mun rah pʰuɾhaŋtʲəˈdəf. vyɾ rah ʝaftʰɛŋˈkʲɔʃ bʲæɪ̯ʃ, mɛranbaˈpʰil bʲæɪ̯ʃ]
museum.ACC open.1SG>3SG 1SG.NOM, when 1SG.NOM wake_up.1SG, and close.1SG>3SG 1SG.NOM, when 1S.NOM sleep.1SG-INGR-NEC | when 1SG.NOM finish.ABL COP.1SG>3SG, museum.TERM COP.1SG>3SG
The museum I open when I wake up, and I close it when I must go to sleep. When I come from the completion, I will terminate the museum.

For many English verbs, there is no direct translation to Caelian. Many times, there is a set phrase consisting of a noun in a specific case and a form of the copula verb byanglis.

So: "The museum closes" is translated literally as "I close the museum"
"I have enough" is always byanglis + a noun in the ablative case, "I come from there". In this sentence, I understood "I have had enough" as in "I will retire", and therefore I translated it as "I come from the completion", in a positive sense.
"It closes for good/forever" is the noun in the terminative case + byanglis.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Image‧Wh]fíĄ

fT□íñiMGjöĄSfT□UiMGTSfT1ôîPjöĄG□ïõUP

(when) I open my eyelids and this place
(when) I close my eyelids and this place
(when) I will no longer be able to see this place (which) will no longer be able to open
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Vissard:

U museus se yepre quand ke jo me lève, es é se ferme quand ke jo daige me koukier. Quand ke jo en age desvenut satou, é se fermara por de bon.
/y myˈzyː s ˈjep kɛ̃ k ʒu m ˈlɛv | ez ͜ e s ˈferm kɛ̃ k ʒu ˈdɛʒ mə kuˈkje || kɛ̃ k ʒ ɛ̃n ͜ aʒ diːvˈny saˈtu | e s femaˈra pu d ˈbã/
the.M.N.S museum-N 3.REFL open.3SG when that 1SG.N 1.REFL get.up.1S.SUBJ, and 3SG.M.N 3.REFL close.3SG when that 1SG.N have.to.1S.SUBJ 1.REFL go.to.bed.INFIN. when that 1SG.N of.it have.1SG.SUBJ become-PPL drunk.M.O.S, 3SG.M.N close-FUT.3SG for of good.M

"Have enough of", "be sick of" is expressed with desvenir satou de "become drunk on"; satou is cognate with French saoul, Italian satollo. In this case the compound perfect (u passat komposat) is used to emphasis the completion of the action.
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

:con: Rireinutire

osasahimu ovakavo suo ma soñakavo ita rasukavo suo yinata yeta soukavo:
/ˈosɑsɑhimu ˈovɑkɑvo suo mɑ ˈsoŋɑkɑvo ˈitɑ ˈɹɑsukɑvo suo ˈjinɑtɑ ˈjetɑ ˈsoukɑvo/
osasahi-mu ova-ka-vo suo ma soña-ka-vo ita rasu-ka-vo suo yina-ta ye-ta sou-ka-vo ||
museum-ACC open-PRS-INFR when.CONJ 1S.NOM wake.up-PRS-INFR and.then close-PRS-INFR when.CONJ sleep-INF go-INF must-PRS-INFR ||

suo sikiña ñire yakavo niyi kuhoti rasuhokavo:
/suo ˈsikiŋɑ ˈŋiɹe ˈjɑkɑvo ˈniji ˈkuhoti ˈɹɑsuhokɑvo/
suo siki-ña ñire ya-ka-vo niyi kuho-ti rasu-ho-ka-vo ||
when.CONJ this-COM tired.of be-PRS-INFR then.CONJ last-ADVZ close-AUG-PRS-INFR ||

Translation challenge 51/100
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Might be cool to have a permanency derivational affix. So you could have cháve "close for the night" > cháveni "close permanently." Or zukkóv "sleep" > zukkóvni "die."
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages, Izre, Ngama, Areyaxi languages, ???, 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her