Famous Lord of the Rings quotes

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Famous Lord of the Rings quotes

Post by Iyionaku »

Challenge: Translate some or all of the following quotes from the Lord of the Rings into your conlang.

1. "Not all those who wander are lost".
2. “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.”
3. “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
4. “I will take the Ring, though I do not know the way."
5. "“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."
6. "The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.'"
7. “It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing … such a little thing.”
8. “You are the luckiest, the canniest, and the most reckless man I ever knew.”
9. ""You can not hide, I see you! There is no life after me. Only death!"
10. "“I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you.”
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Re: Famous Lord of the Rings quotes

Post by Reyzadren »

:con: griushkoent (without script here)

shaz uv ijstiske az yijsi.
/'ʃaz 'uv 'idʒstiskə az 'jidʒsi/
denial all advance-wander-N is lost-PL-A
Not all those who wander are lost.

zhua ist flomsi er kan yaufa skanszaeildaegen.
/'ʒua 'ist 'flɔmsi 'ər 'kan 'jaufa 'skanszeildegən/
even A-PL-PST small-PL-A N-IMP can change-V front-time-become-N-PASS
Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.
Last edited by Reyzadren on 07 Sep 2023 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

Ce yanècen o'iusoran linasbul.
[kə ʃɐˈnɛkən ɔ̈ˈɪ̯uːsɔ̈ɾɐn ˈliːnɐsbʉl]
NEG everyone DEF.GEN=wanderer-PL on_the_wrong_way-COP.3PL

Efál, a'tervileniypa tyaʻareyet æ'piynusé on'uruntal.
[əˈɸaːl, ɐˈteɾvɨləˌna̯iːpɐ t͡ʃɐʔɐˈɾeːʃət əˌpa̯iːnʉˈseː ɔ̈nʉˈɾuntɐl]
even DEF.ANIM=person-SUP-small-COMP POT-alter-3SG DEF.CONC=course DEF.GEN=future

Vigo tervilcanan oci yanat dicanamivenam u'muyér èn æ'iadul qua matirafbats, dibiylven mancieyelvena.
[ˈviːxɔ̈ ˈteɾvɨlˌkaːnɐn ˈoːkɨ ˈʃaːnɐt dɨˌkaːnɐmɨˈveːnɐm ʉmʉˈʃeːd̟ ɛn əˈɪ̯aːdʉl ka ˈmaːtɨˌɾabɐt͡s, dɨˈba̯iːlvən ˈmaŋkɪ̯əʃəlˌveːnɐ]
if people-many.COMP-PL among 1PLIN.OBL COND-much.COMP-value-COND.3PL DEF.INAN=food and DEF.CONC=song than gold-hoard-ADZ, COND-have-COND.1PLIN world-cheerful-COMP
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Pesai u'zirbe, cùs re vutret, re ciquinrai u'nut.
[ˈpeːsaɪ̯ ʉˈɟiɾbə, kʉs ɾe ˈvutɾət, re kɨˈkinɾaɪ̯ ʉˈnut]
take-1SG DEF.INAN=ring, although 1SG.REC INT, 1SG.REC NEG-know-1SG DEF.INAN=way
I will take the Ring, though I do not know the way.

Palanlocanvinquatsan acureʻi olkon. Èpa teʻaulkatsan dinatuivam vinquasé. Barcai sat tyadasut pès cenʻit? Betál, ciritcènegbas nat vildei miveral on'olkon.
[ˈpaːlɐnˌloːkɐnˌviŋkɐt͡sɐn ɐkʉˈɾeːʔɨ ˈolkɔ̈n. ɛpɐ ˈteːʔˌaʊ̯lkɐt͡sɐn dɨnɐˈtuːʋɐm ˌviŋkɐˈseː | ˈbaɾkaɪ̯ sat t͡ʃɐˈdaːsʉ‿pɛs ˈkenʔɨt | bəˈtaːl, kɨɾɨˈtɛnəbɐʃ nɐt ˈvildɛɪ̯ mɨˈʋeːɾɐl ɔ̈nˈolkɔ̈n]
person.PL-many-live-ADZ-PL deserve-3PL death | and person-die-ADZ-PL COND-deserve-COND.3PL life | ask-1SG 2SG.OBL POT-give-INV.3SG.INAN towards 3PL.OBL | then, NEG-so-eager-COP.JUS.2SG when issue-2SG judgment DEF.GEN=death
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.

A'nakaurac can sat ciromernasbut, a'niyrek on'Udûn. Celitpecuras pès garos! Cityabætei!
[ɐˈnaːkaʊ̯ˌɾak kɐn sat kɨɾɔ̈ˈmeɾnɐsbʉt, ɐˈna̯iːrək ɔnˈuːdʉn. kəlɨpəˈkuːɾɐʃ pɛs ˈgaːɾɔ̈ʃ! kɨt͡ʃɐˈbœːtɛɪ̯]
DEF.ANIM=fire-dark for 2SG.OBL NEG-FUT-useful-COP.3SG.INAN, DEF.ANIM=flame DEF.GEN=Udûn. return-JUS.2SG to shadow_horror | NEG-POT-pass-2SG
The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.'

Vat tanek ritiarobut, pi ianyalocanmiatcrusan fecun falîyi è nasal, viyd tisteʻi mia... vat tisteritniypi mia.
[vɐt ˈtaːnək ʃɐˈɪ̯aːɾɔ̈bʉt, pi ɪ̯ɐnʃɐˌloːkɐnmɪ̯ɐtˈɾuːsɐn ˈɸeːkʉn ɸɐˈliːɕɨ ɛ ˈnaːsɐl, va̯iːd ˈtistəʔɨ ˈmiː.ɐ... vɐt ˈtistəɾɨtna̯iːpi ˈmiː.ɐ]
DEM fate so-strange-COP.3SG.INAN, that NEC-very-much-only-suffer-JUS.1PLIN for fear and doubt, because_of thing-ENUM one... DEM thing-so-small-ENUM one
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing … such a little thing.

Sa vutret, sa bei broyænàlanènlegraènvedispasa, téviter quinrai.
[sa ˈvutɾət, sa bɛɪ̯ ˈbroːʃəˌnɐlanɛnˌlegɾɐ.ɛnvəˌdispɐsɐ, ˈtɛvɨtəd̟ ˈkinɾaɪ̯]
2SG.REC INT, 2SG.REC COP.2SG man-SUP-lucky-COMP-and-SUP-sly-COMP-and-SUP-reckless-COP, REL.ANIM.MASC know-1SG
You are the luckiest, the canniest, and the most reckless man I ever knew.

Cityaʻitei, rat valu! Aquis rat vut ciet vinquasé. Miatciavet olkon!
[kɨt͡ʃɐˈʔiːtɛɪ̯, ɾat ˈvaːlʉ! ˈaːkɨs ɾat vʉt‿ˈiː.ət ˌviŋkɐˈseː | mɪ̯ɐtˈɪ̯aːʋət ˈolkɔ̈n]
NEG-POT-hide-2SG, 1SG.OBL see-INV.2SG | after 1SG.OBL 3SG.INDEF not_exist-3SG life | only-exist-3SG death
You can not hide, I see you! There is no life after me. Only death!

Can sat rat cityavebut, cut rat tyavebu.
[kɐn sat ɾat kɨt͡ʃɐˈʋeːbʉt, kʉt rat t͡ʃɐˈʋeːbʉ]
for 2SG.OBL 1SG.OBL NEG-POT-carry-INV.3SG.INAN, but 1SG.OBL POT-carry-INV.2SG
I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you.

New words for the challenge:

niyrek/niyrec [ˈna̯iːɾək] - flame
Etymology: new root; potentially related to naku/nacu "fire"

vedispas [vəˈdispɐʃ] - reckless, careless, rash
Etymology: from veda "to be careful" + rare failure infix -dis- + adjectivizer -as
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

:con: 3SDL

tLawaj_t‰atďă
(this man of wandering , this man knowing his place...)

tlûćLùăvtûČ\xg
(man of smallness displacing future thing of greatness...)
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

:con: Yoshó
Sasalokh ais koshilawa chissumal, usók nusorinnó ais nyillama.
['sa.sa.lox ajs 'ko.ʃi.la.wa 'tʃis.su.mal u.'sok nu.so.rin.'no ajs 'ɲil.la.ma]
DIST.FUT-carry 1sg.NOM circle-ACC gold-DAT / despite NEG-PRES-know 1sg.NOM line-ACC
"I will carry the ring, despite that I do not know the path."

Translation challenge: 7%
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages, Izre, Ngama, Areyaxi languages, ???, 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

:con: Rireinutire

saku kaku mikave yakave sakure iña ñeku tuhatuko yakaseve::1::
/ˈsɑku ˈkɑku ˈmiˌkɑve ˈjɑkɑve ˈsɑkuɹe ˈiŋɑ ˈŋeku ˈtuhɑtuko ˈjɑkɑseve/
saku kaku mi-kave ya-ka-ve saku-re iña ñeku tuhatuko ya-ka-se-ve ||
that.one.NOM who.REL move-woman.NOM be-PRS-HSY that.one-ELA not everyone lost be-PRS-NEG-HSY ||

1. "Not all those who wander are lost."

pinimi to kave tukehasano supamu sepetata hopokave::2::
/ˈpinimi to ˈkɑve ˈtukeˌhɑsɑno ˈsupɑmu ˈsepetɑtɑ ˈhopokɑve/
pini-mi to kave tukehasa-no supa-mu sepe-ta-ta hopo-ka-ve ||
small-SUP and woman.NOM future-GEN course-ACC change-CAUS-INF can-PRS-HSY ||

2. "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

soo metema mere to añana to manona to romana parema nu kosateñi tarena ikakahuvo· niyi siki meima ratoiru yakahuvo::3::
/soː ˈmetemɑ ˈmeɹe to ˈɑŋɑnɑ to ˈmɑnonɑ to ˈɹomɑnɑ ˈpɑɹemɑ nu ˈkosɑteŋi ˈtɑɹenɑ ˈikɑkɑhuvo | ˈniji ˈsiki ˈmeimɑ ˈɹɑtoˌiɹu ˈjɑkɑhuvo/
soo mete-ma me-re to aña-na to mano-na to roma-na parema nu kosate-ñi tare-na ika-ka-hu-vo | niyi siki mei-ma ratoiru ya-ka-hu-vo ||
if many-COMP 1P-ELA and food-PTV and merriment-PTV and song-PTV better than hoard-PPP gold-PTV value-PRS-SBJV-INFR | then this.NOM joyful-COMP world.NOM be-PRS-SBJV-INFR ||

3. "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

ma nasumu vokavo· yisa kerina nanakaseve::4::
/mɑ ˈnɑsumu ˈvokɑvo | ˈjisɑ ˈkeɹinɑ ˈnɑnɑkɑseve/
ma nasu-mu vo-ka-vo | yisa keri-na nana-ka-se-ve ||
1S.NOM ring-ACC take-PRS-INFR | although way-PTV know-PRS-NEG-SENS ||

4. "I will take the Ring, though I do not know the way."

mete kaku vuikave saku siisamu pahekavo: ita tepe kaku siikave saku vuisamu pahekavo: yo ta sikimu sikuha ata hopokayo: niyi ta iña sori ninoñara yakase' hii siisana ñimipa rinita::5::
/ˈmete ˈkɑku ˈvuikɑve ˈsɑku ˈsiːsɑmu ˈpɑhekɑvo || ˈitɑ ˈtepe ˈkɑku ˈsiːkɑve ˈsɑku ˈvuisɑmu ˈpɑhekɑvo || jo tɑ ˈsikimu ˈsikuhɑ ˈɑtɑ ˈhopokɑjo || ˈniji tɑ ˈiŋɑ ˈsoɹi ˈninoˌŋɑɹɑ ˈjɑkɑseʔ hiː ˈsiːsɑnɑ ˈŋimipɑ ˈɹinitɑ/
mete kaku vui-ka-ve saku siisa-mu pahe-ka-vo || ita tepe kaku sii-ka-ve saku vuisa-mu pahe-ka-vo || yo ta siki-mu siku-ha a-ta hopo-ka-yo || niyi ta iña sori ninoñara ya-ka-se-' hii siisa-na ñimi-pa rini-ta ||
many.NOM who.REL live-PRS-HSY that.one.NOM death-ACC deserve-PRS-INFR || and.then some.NOM who.REL die-PRS-HSY that.one.NOM life-ACC deserve-PRS-INFR || Q 2S.NOM this-ACC this.one-ADE give-INF can-PRS-Q || then.CONJ 2S.NOM not too eager be-PRS-NEG-IMP that.CONJ death-PTV judgement-ESS deal.out-INF ||

5. "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

kova rei tana yenatakasevo· Utunono roño': puyuha mupara ye': ta nire soakasevo::6::
/ˈkovɑ ɹei ˈtɑnɑ ˈjenɑtɑkɑsevo | ˈutunono ˈɹoŋoʔ || ˈpujuhɑ ˈmupɑɹɑ jeʔ || tɑ ˈniɹe ˈsoɑkɑsevo/
kova rei ta-na yenata-ka-se-vo· Utuno-no roño-' || puyuha mupa-ra ye-' || ta nire soa-ka-se-vo ||
dark fire.NOM 2S-PTV avail-PRS-NEG-INFR | Utuno-GEN flame-VOC || back.ADV shadow-INE go-IMP || 2S.NOM through get-PRS-NEG-INFR ||

6. "The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

kise yave yakavo hii me sate vahu to heyana to iñañuna sate pini karuno semi nomita ñepikavo··· sakipu pini karuno::7::
/ˈkise ˈjɑve ˈjɑkɑvo hiː me ˈsɑte ˈvɑhu to ˈhejɑnɑ to ˈiŋɑŋunɑ ˈsɑte ˈpini ˈkɑɹuno ˈsemi ˈnomitɑ ˈŋepikavo | ˈsɑkipu ˈpini ˈkɑɹuno/
kise yave ya-ka-vo hii me sate vahu to heya-na to iñañu-na sate pini karu-no semi nomi-ta ñepi-ka-vo | sakipu pini karu-no ||
strange fate.NOM be-PRS-INFR that.CONJ 1P.NOM so much and fear-PTV and doubt-PTV so small thing-GEN because.of suffer-INF end.up-PRS-INFR | such little thing-GEN ||

7. "It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing … such a little thing."

ta kaku to yuteˌñarami to yipeˌñarami to mosuˌnopomi kave yakavo sakumu miro nanakivo::8::
/tɑ ˈkɑku to ˈjuteŋɑɹɑmi to ˈjipeŋɑɹɑmi to ˈmosunopomi ˈkɑve ˈjɑkɑvo ˈsɑkumu ˈmiɹo ˈnɑnɑkivo/
ta kaku to yuteñara-mi to yipeñara-mi to mosunopo-mi kave ya-ka-vo saku-mu miro nana-ki-vo ||
2S.NOM who.REL and lucky-SUP and cunning-SUP and reckless-SUP woman be-PRS-INFR that.one-ACC ever know-PST-INFR ||

8. "You are the luckiest, the canniest, and the most reckless woman I ever knew."

ta mayetuta hopokasevo· ma tamu neakava: mano puho iña vuisana yakasevo: ioti siisana::9::
/tɑ ˈmɑjetutɑ ˈhopokɑsevo | mɑ ˈtɑmu ˈneɑkɑvɑ || ˈmɑno ˈpuho ˈiŋɑ ˈvuisɑnɑ ˈjɑkɑsevo || ˈioti ˈsiːsɑnɑ/
ta maye-tu-ta hopo-ka-se-vo | ma ta-mu nea-ka-va || ma-no puho iña vuisa-na ya-ka-se-vo || ioti siisa-na ||
2S.NOM hide-REFL-INF can-PRS-NEG-INFR | 1S.NOM 2S-ACC see-PRS-SENS || 1S-GEN after no life-PTV be-PRS-NEG-INFR || only death-PTV ||

9. "You can not hide, I see you! There is no life after me. Only death!"

ma sana tano semi vitata hopokasevo· sika tana hopokava::10::
/mɑ ˈsɑnɑ ˈtɑno ˈsemi ˈvitɑtɑ ˈhopokɑsevo | ˈsikɑ ˈtɑnɑ ˈhopokɑvɑ/
ma sa-na ta-no semi vita-ta hopo-ka-se-vo | sika ta-na hopo-ka-va ||
1S.NOM 3S.IN-PTV 2S-GEN for carry-INF can-PRS-NEG-INFR | but 2S-PTV can-PRS-INFR ||

10. "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you."

Translation challenge 27/100
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?