Diachronic Conlanging open world

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Diachronic Conlanging open world

Post by Felbah »

Just putting it out there that I have started again with my protolang. It was looking too much like English in terms of grammar. I have added in some features which might be found in Arabic, as well as other important developments. I'll keep you updated.
Hi. I am DoctorMisterPorfessorSomethingorother.
My fledgeling minicity...
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

TheFluteCat101 wrote:Hello everyone! I am the dark green/khaki coloured area on the map. I am new to conlanging but have been interested in it for a while, not knowing what it was called and how to do it. Please bear with me as I develop my language/empire etc. Like I said, I am new to this so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! [:D]
I think I speak for everyone, when I say: Welcome! It would be fine, if you upload a map where your claimed territorium is coloured, because at least I don't know which area you mean. [:D]

And now back to topic:
I know now how my writing system is gonna be like. It's gonna be a syllable writing system, whose symbols are mainly Chinese-based (only the looks, not the meaning). As early Ular only has one-syllable words, there will be a symbol for every possible combination of consonants. On the left of the sign there is a mark which vocal or diphtong is in that syllable (a, o, u, au, ou, ua), on the bottom a mark which tone the syllable has. It's written top to bottom, left to right.

EDIT: Who edited my Ular languages page? It's a stub right now, with missing words, and sentences who end mid-in the word.

2nd EDIT:. Thank you, Felbah.
Last edited by Iyionaku on 28 May 2014 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

Iyionaku wrote:
TheFluteCat101 wrote:Hello everyone! I am the dark green/khaki coloured area on the map. I am new to conlanging but have been interested in it for a while, not knowing what it was called and how to do it. Please bear with me as I develop my language/empire etc. Like I said, I am new to this so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! [:D]
I think I speak for everyone, when I say: Welcome! It would be fine, if you upload a map where your claimed territorium is coloured, because at least I don't know which area you mean. [:D]

And now back to topic:
I know now how my writing system is gonna be like. It's gonna be a syllable writing system, whose symbols are mainly Chinese-based (only the looks, not the meaning). As early Ular only has one-syllable words, there will be a symbol for every possible combination of consonants. On the left of the sign there is a mark which vocal or diphtong is in that syllable (a, o, u, au, ou, ua), on the bottom a mark which tone the syllable has. It's written top to bottom, left to right.

EDIT: Who edited my Ular languages page? It's a stub right now, with missing words, and sentences who end mid-in the word.
The changes to the page have been reverted back to their original status, and the user and his/her IP have been blocked for 6 months. I believe you may continue.
Edit: Image

And here is the Khaki region owned by The Flute Cat
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

could any of us start another language?
she/her/they/them
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

k1234567890y wrote:could any of us start another language?
Of course! No-one is limited to just the one.
If you really wanted, you could add to another person's family also.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Did the main part of Proto-Gigxkpoy verbal morphology, that's heavily based on Oogami(sorry didn't have a macron nearby) and Japanese, and it's case system. I'll make some words later today and i'll be ready to do the initial diachronics, that'll get me the branches i have by 10000BK.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByhOk3R ... hUMkk/edit

new group of people, It is not known which branch of language familys does their language belong, they have only one language recorded.
she/her/they/them
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

It's time to give the Proto-Umbric people more space and a dialect!
I hope everybody is OK with that.
Éall woruld is bócfell, ǽlc of ús is án stǽr.
Re-imagining Rodentèrra, working on Úrageard.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

I've stopped working on my languages because I'm waiting for loglorn to develop his to 8000BK-7000BK, when mine interacts with his. No rush, though; I think I'm going too fast anyways.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Sḿtuval wrote:I've stopped working on my languages because I'm waiting for loglorn to develop his to 8000BK-7000BK, when mine interacts with his. No rush, though; I think I'm going too fast anyways.
I'm eager to work out some interactions, but i have a bunch of tests coming up and i don't even know what i'm doing here; i should be studying (i guess i am one of the few who loses focus on study because they had a brilliant idea for a causative)
And yes, you are very fast.

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Phew, I never thought that creating an isolating language would be that... boring.

I've got another question (I've got lots, I know :mrgreen: ): Felbah, could you please insert a distance scale (if you knowwhat I mean [:$] )? I'm always wondering how big my island is... because, if Teles is really a lot bigger than our world, it could even be as big as Europe... what would mean lots, lots of different languages for me...
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

Iyionaku wrote:Phew, I never thought that creating an isolating language would be that... boring.

I've got another question (I've got lots, I know :mrgreen: ): Felbah, could you please insert a distance scale (if you knowwhat I mean [:$] )? I'm always wondering how big my island is... because, if Teles is really a lot bigger than our world, it could even be as big as Europe... what would mean lots, lots of different languages for me...
I will get on with doing that later today.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Even if it's small, you can always end like Austroasiatic Taiwan (and a scale would be helpful indeed)

Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

Here you go. Does anyone think that it's inaccurate/implausible? I am open to suggestion.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Doesn't look so much bigger than Earth. If that's not a problem that's perfectly fine.

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

If I estimate right, then Teles is about 1.5 times bigger than earth. I agree that it's plausible, a planet of this size won't have a gravity which is too different from ours to create completely new forms of life.

In my opinion, the size is perfect this way.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Should the amount of major language families be proportional to the planet's size, i think we might need some more.
Edit: And of course there should be smaller language families and a few isolates later

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

loglorn wrote:Should the amount of major language families be proportional to the planet's size, i think we might need some more.
Edit: And of course there should be smaller language families and a few isolates later
Is somebody doing a Greeklang or a Celtlang?
I'm already busy with Proto-Umbric, so I'm out.
Btw. As far as I can see Classical Umbric won't be really like RL Umbrian, but more like 'conservative' Latin. [:|] [:$] :mrgreen:
Éall woruld is bócfell, ǽlc of ús is án stǽr.
Re-imagining Rodentèrra, working on Úrageard.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

I'm doing a Japonic one with Georgian phonotactics.
Celtlanging sounds fun, but aren't those all PIE? If we did things like that it'd be the holy grail of Teles' Proto-World attempts (i'm not saying that wouldn't be fun)

Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

Egerius wrote:
loglorn wrote:Should the amount of major language families be proportional to the planet's size, i think we might need some more.
Is somebody doing a Greeklang or a Celtlang?
I'm already busy with Proto-Umbric, so I'm out.
Btw. As far as I can see Classical Umbric won't be really like RL Umbrian, but more like 'conservative' Latin. [:|] [:$] :mrgreen:
I could create a Celtlang if you wish. I am coming to a very easy part of my Amutetikam development, so if you need one, do say.
Mind you, the Celtic languages were only prominent around the times of the Roman Empire, and they were descended from PIE, so it could just be a descendant of one of ours. However, I would enjoy making a type of Celtlang for you all.