alcoholic beverages in concultures?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

alcoholic beverages in concultures?

Post by k1234567890y »

Are there any fermented beverages, that is, alcoholic beverages, in your concultures? if yes, what are they and how are they made?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: alcoholic beverages in concultures?

Post by Foolster41 »

A popular sort of drink in Saltha is Hodnaksashe, or cactus wine. It's made from the fermented juice of the Sudnin cactus plant, a yellowish-green cactus that has been domesticated. It has a very simple flavor of slight bitterness with a node of citrus that is well balanced. This wine is said to have medicinal properties, particularly good for the immune system. It has up to about 18% alcohol content (36 proof).

Relsashe ("fire drink") is a hearty, biting spicy liquor with a sweet, slightly smoky flavor. It is made with fermented sugarcane (rum), black berry, chili peppers and other spices. It usually has alcohol of around 30-80% (60-120 proof)

Tonsaeshe is rum with a cricket in it, and has about the same amount of alcohol as Relsashe.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Image Géarthnuns

üçkebaks - a traditional flavored beer discussed here
tneríans - a pálenka-like liquor discussed here
mnöigastibs - an indigenous apple brandy which had its genesis here, and gained momentum here and here
hüçebluns - alcohol with fruit soaking in it, such as yangmei with baijiu, Rumtopf, or friendship cup; you can drink the fruit-flavored alcohol or eat the alcohol-infused fruit -- born today here
Last edited by Lao Kou on 26 Mar 2016 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

Real concultures drink coffee to get knurd.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Interesting thread idea. I think I may have thought about this once or twice before, but I can't remember where or what the results were… if they come back to me, I might post them if I have anything to say about them.

I'm not very familiar with the making of alcoholic beverages (or with alcohol in general), so I have a question. Are there any natural limits concerning what could possibly be fermented/made into alcohol and what outright couldn't be? From what little I've heard in the past, it seems that plants are almost always the basis for alcoholic beverages, but I don't know if this is some kind of universal or not.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

shimobaatar wrote:I'm not very familiar with the making of alcoholic beverages (or with alcohol in general), so I have a question. Are there any natural limits concerning what could possibly be fermented/made into alcohol and what outright couldn't be? From what little I've heard in the past, it seems that plants are almost always the basis for alcoholic beverages, but I don't know if this is some kind of universal or not.
there's a book called The Drunk Botanist (I think...or drunken) with dozens and dozens of plants usable for alcohol...I'd imagine non-plants can ferment too (even if we exclude mead, on the basis of honey coming from plants)

...khoumiss, mares milk, I recall. (and a version from camel milk?)
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 »

shimobaatar wrote:Interesting thread idea. I think I may have thought about this once or twice before, but I can't remember where or what the results were… if they come back to me, I might post them if I have anything to say about them.

I'm not very familiar with the making of alcoholic beverages (or with alcohol in general), so I have a question. Are there any natural limits concerning what could possibly be fermented/made into alcohol and what outright couldn't be? From what little I've heard in the past, it seems that plants are almost always the basis for alcoholic beverages, but I don't know if this is some kind of universal or not.
Pretty much anything that has sugar in it. Doing research the only non-plant thing I can find that's turned into alcohol is milk, which is mentioned above. Otherwise flavoring is added to things maybe that are non-plants (scorpion vodka anyone?) as well. "Plants" is, also a pretty broad range as it is too...
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Foolster41 wrote:(scorpion vodka anyone?)
My brother had that once... he even ate the scorpion. He doesn't remember much of the night after that point.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

In my conworld, in olden times, people would gather up a type of pitcher plant called the Ikriba, which carried sweet sap inside of the pitcher. After burning the sap in a pot, they would leave it to ferment over a year, after which, they would drink it.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Hmm… I don't know a thing about anatomy or any such field, but if the term "blood sugar" actually refers to sugar (as opposed to a different substance that it's just easier to call "sugar")… not that I'd ever want to in real life, but could one hypothetically ferment blood (of any animal)?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

shimobaatar wrote:Hmm… I don't know a thing about anatomy or any such field, but if the term "blood sugar" actually refers to sugar (as opposed to a different substance that it's just easier to call "sugar")… not that I'd ever want to in real life, but could one hypothetically ferment blood (of any animal)?
It refers to glucose, a sugar. Regardless, fermented blood appears not to be a tradition in any major tribe. Cooked blood is far more common, you can guess why.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Well, I'm not really surprised to hear that it isn't done, but what I'm wondering is more along the lines of whether or not it could physically be done. Since it contains sugar, I'm guessing it could?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

shimobaatar wrote:Well, I'm not really surprised to hear that it isn't done, but what I'm wondering is more along the lines of whether or not it could physically be done. Since it contains sugar, I'm guessing it could?
Yes it can, but it wouldn't have enough sugar
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall »

Alcoholic beverages are illegal in my conworld and the religion says that it is a sin to drink alcohol.

However, there are houses with room in the underground floor where the customers can drink alcohol and sleep there.
If an investigator find the room, the proprietary will have to bribe the investigator in order to he 'forget' everything that he saw.

Grape and rice are abundant in the country. Consequently, wine and sake are the most common alcoholic beverages.
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Squall wrote:Alcoholic beverages are illegal in my conworld and the religion says that it is a sin to drink alcohol.

However, there are houses with room in the underground floor where the customers can drink alcohol and sleep there.
If an investigator find the room, the proprietary will have to bribe the investigator in order to he 'forget' everything that he saw.

Grape and rice are abundant in the country. Consequently, wine and sake are the most common alcoholic beverages.
I smell some wood fermenting [;)]
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

shimobaatar wrote:Hmm… I don't know a thing about anatomy or any such field, but if the term "blood sugar" actually refers to sugar (as opposed to a different substance that it's just easier to call "sugar")… not that I'd ever want to in real life, but could one hypothetically ferment blood (of any animal)?
Odin drinks the fermented blood of the dwarf Kvasir -- doesn't he? Or, at least, something like that.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Odin drinks the fermented blood of the dwarf Kvasir -- doesn't he? Or, at least, something like that.
nobody said it was an intelligent choice to ferment and drink the blood of something that turns to stone in daylight. [:D]
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Lehola Galaxy:

Stenza is frozen liquor mixed with purzad juice. The purzad is an oval fruit with cold, burgundy juice. The sentence "Stenza makes people drunk" even appears in my Kankonian grammar. A 1-gwanar bottle of stenza is called an ingwa, and a 2-gwanar bottle of stenza is called a bangwa. (A gwanar is 100 cubic tzetz, a tzetz being 10.88527 centimeters.) Vwanzanes na stenza, or stenza outfit, means "beer goggles". Skenu iniksi na stenza, the whole bottle of stenza, means the whole shebang, the whole enchilada.

Yibeshiz is alcohol strengthened by adding bituwas. Bituwas is a hallucinogenic drug obtained from the camosca tree, a brown tree of the family Rubiaceae that produces four-part yellow fruit. The Kankonian word yibeshizeria means "good times".

Zhinwa is a drink made from fermented cilantro, like anisette from anise. It is popularly drunk on Kankonia.

Ghwuma is an alcoholic beverage made of figs, with fig wasp larvae inside. Mmmmmm!

Frozav is coffee with alcohol. You can get it at most coffeeshops.

Nadu is fermented bharal milk.

Pshitz is made with both barley and grapes. Pinkhoura is a beer/wine drink made of barley and ixora fruits.

Hwoisi bupra, or "burgundy whirlwind", is an alcoholic drink that mixes purzad (the fruit in stenza) with pomegranate.

Splaska means alcohol mixed with human or animal blood.

Jameso originated on the planet Junsu. It is alcohol with caramel in it.

Similarly, a muvez is a fermented caramel cherry. A bepismuvez, popular on Kankonia, is a variation with an apple instead of a cherry.

There are also many wines in Lehola from a variety of fruits we don't have on Earth. Rainbow wine is what wine of many fermented fruits mixed together is called.

A species of grain important on Hapoi is ba e monu. An alcoholic drink called goqoro can be brewed from it.

A frasser (aspeheth in Kankonian) is any alcoholic drink flavored with insect frass. A rum frasser is called a rabuki and a wine frasser is called a pitambia.

The intoxicating infusion of aqi leaves, drunk on Javarti, is called tempapeyka. On Javarti, Wines are fermented from u:kha, semilti and tayga; soyko wine is called quva. Ghaylva produces a 20% alcoholic drink called marxa. The most popular marxa brands are Kilenxe, Loto's, Azbirma, Portu:, Zarita and Tseji. Zbomu: is another alcoholic drink, brewed from zdanka and known for its urine-yellow color. Zbomu: is 44% alcoholic, and popular brands include Ozdi, Tarayka, Nenvu and Xalu:lgha. Fermented tsanqa nectar is known as tsoyleyza.

Then there are the fermented teas of Schaza. Phusik is a pink fermented tea with high water content, while mirekh is a gold fermented tea with low water content.
Last edited by Khemehekis on 27 Dec 2021 13:07, edited 2 times in total.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Khemehekis wrote:Zhinwa is a drink made from fermented cilantro
I would so try this. [:D]
Splaska means alcohol mixed with human or animal blood.
I would so not try this, no matter how "restorative" its properties purportedly were. [:x]
Ghwuma is an alcoholic beverage made of figs, with fig wasp larvae inside. Mmmmmm!
Get back to me after my third zhinwa. [¬.¬]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Keenir wrote:nobody said it was an intelligent choice to ferment and drink the blood of something that turns to stone in daylight. [:D]
But you can see how you'd get stoned drinking it.