A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by felipesnark »

idov wrote:
felipesnark wrote: kwenias /kweni͡as/ girl queen
In case you didn't know: FYI: The word "queen" ultimately derives from PIE *gwen meaning "woman". Still today you can find cognates like "kvinde" "kvinna" and "kona" (all meaning "woman") from Danish, Swedish and Icelandic respectively.
I was aware of the PIE connection and the link to words with gyn- but I was not aware of the North Germanic cognates. Thanks!
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

thetha wrote:I have a habit of making the words for 'eat' in my conlangs some variation of (om)nom
Inni viossa, vi namnam.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

The Mira word for "light" (noun) is laine, which is also a Finnish word for a wave (on water). As we all know, light is a wave, in addition to its particle form.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
Aleks
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Aleks »

druneragarsh wrote:The Mira word for "light" (noun) is laine, which is also a Finnish word for a wave (on water). As we all know, light is a wave, in addition to its particle form.
Nice, I quite like this one.
idov wrote:
felipesnark wrote: kwenias /kweni͡as/ girl queen
In case you didn't know: FYI: The word "queen" ultimately derives from PIE *gwen meaning "woman". Still today you can find cognates like "kvinde" "kvinna" and "kona" (all meaning "woman") from Danish, Swedish and Icelandic respectively.
I did not know that, very interesting.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I decided to throw a fairly literal "easter egg" into Proto-Skawlas, /ʔis.tʰa.rak/ [ʔes'tʰrak] <qestrag> (plural: [ʔəs.tʰə'rak] <qëstȧrag>), meaning "stone fixed at the entrance to a burial chamber", taken directly "Easter egg". In descendant languages it could go on to mean "gravestone", "grave", "altar" and possible "something that conceals a secret"

Like the "easter eggs" I've used before, I like to put them into all of my conlangs at the same time, but this one might require some fiddling thanks to the consonant clusters and the final /g/.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

sangi39 wrote:I decided to throw a fairly literal "easter egg" into Proto-Skawlas, /ʔis.tʰa.rak/ [ʔes'tʰrak] <qestrag> (plural: [ʔəs.tʰə'rak] <qëstȧrag>), meaning "stone fixed at the entrance to a burial chamber", taken directly "Easter egg". In descendant languages it could go on to mean "gravestone", "grave", "altar" and possible "something that conceals a secret"

Like the "easter eggs" I've used before, I like to put them into all of my conlangs at the same time, but this one might require some fiddling thanks to the consonant clusters and the final /g/.
That's a clever one.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

I remember my first conlang. It was terrible, and I was just trying to add the weirdest clusters possible, so the word for house was something like [gɮnaŋfxsl̩n] (I know it wasn't exactly that, but I can't remember what exactly the word was. I think it might have been a syllabic n and not an l, but as it contained both a lot of nasals and laterals, I'm not sure). I just made an affix for my engelangy-artlangy thing Siasô that means "house" and is pronounced (much more tamely) [klaxsəl] as a tribute to my great word for house from Jörscungscúúxel.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Vrkhazhian's word for spider is "shelob" which reference the spider creature from LOTR.
However, it was slightly accidental because my conlang's word for 8 is "shalbu" and someone suggested this could originate from a word for spider.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Ahzoh wrote:Vrkhazhian's word for spider is "shelob" which reference the spider creature from LOTR.
However, it was slightly accidental because my conlang's word for 8 is "shalbu" and someone suggested this could originate from a word for spider.
nice idea, Ahzoh :)

I decided to borrow the idea that "eight" is from "spider" for one of my conlangs :)
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

The Himmaswa character Image lo "lock; seal; plug" was specifically designed to look like a 5.25 inch floppy disk.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

I used to work for a school called Kelly Colleges. I was never quite clear on why it had that s on the end because we only had one campus. In any case, the school closed down very suddenly. One day I went to work and all was good - and after working for that day, we were told the school was closing. Liquidators were there and we had two hours to get out of the building for good. Keli became my word for "suddenly collapse" in whatever conlang I had back then ... I think it was Ahu. It has survived into Ngolu and is the normal word for "fall".

I have some others that are mostly based on names of people.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I have yet to turn Shimobaatar's name into a word and it would look like Šimobtar- or Šimbatar-
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Ahzoh wrote:I have yet to turn Shimobaatar's name into a word and it would look like Šimobtar- or Šimbatar-
nice idea :)

what does that word mean? linguist or?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Ahzoh wrote:I have yet to turn Shimobaatar's name into a word and it would look like Šimobtar- or Šimbatar-
That is a very good idea.
Hmm. For Mira, perhaps šimo n, someone who works tirelessly.
(And, of course, the associated derived terms.)
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
Sights
sinic
sinic

Post by Sights »

clawgrip wrote:The Himmaswa character Image lo "lock; seal; plug" was specifically designed to look like a 5.25 inch floppy disk.
Cool! [:D]

I have some conscript easter eggs as well. I wanted the word for "language" to be somewhat iconic (so much that this alone ended up deciding the shape of three different letters!) I've been told the resemblance is not obvious, but it's supposed to be a human profile with its mouth open, with something like a speech scroll emerging from the tongue:
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

My conlang is full of easter eggs, at least 100. Sometimes I would forget the easter eggs or refind them after a long while what then makes me laugh again. Some I found at this moment when I wrote this reply:

æ'hanke [œˈʔankə] - allergy (named after Mike Hanke, a german football player with grass allergy)

u'glutan [ʊˈglʊtɐn] - bar (because I used to look the South Park episode "Gluten Free Ebola" at the same day)

mefís [mɛˈfis] - talented (after the South Park character Mephisto, or maybe not, could also be coincidental)

atoniʻa [atoˈniːʔɐ] - to insult
tonio [tɔnʲoː] - annoying
anta [ˈantɐ] - to hoax
anto [ˈantoː] - unbearable
leimul [ˈl͡ɛɪmʊl] - unpopular
liymul [ˈl͡aiːmʊl] - strange (all named after a person I didn't like)

un'uzad [ʊnˈʊcad] - city (named after my home village that has, in fact, 300 inhabitants)

criys [kr͡aiːs] trained [animal] (after the german word Kreis, because the only trick my dog is capable of is standing on the hind feet and do a circle)

andeg [ˈandɛx] - furious (after another person that made me feel exactly this way)

a'macmi [aˈmakmiː] - horse (after a friend of mine who rides horses)

There are many more I didn't find in that few minutes...
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
J_from_Holland
sinic
sinic

Post by J_from_Holland »

The Bløjhvåtterskyll word for holiday or vacation, seibiän, is derived from the Welsh seibiant. But there's an easter egg in it. Sei is the german imperative of sein, to be. The "biän" part in seibiän sounds a bit like the French word bien, good. So seibiän = be good! ;) And vacation is good, of course!
A few years, I posted about Bløjhvåtterskyll. That's Barmish nowadays, and it's quite different from back then.
:nld: :mrgreen: | :eng: [:D] | :deu: [:D] | :fra: [:P] | :ell: [:$] | :nor: [:$]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

On Rodentèrra, the river Ruma runs through the city of Buonavalle. Ruma is an obvious reference to the Eternal City Rome.
The city Wínceaster, in Wíneland is a reference to our England's Winchester, and Wínland/Wíneland is taken from the Viking's mythic Vinland.
Taulkisch is a reference (and, perhaps, also a tribute) to J. R. R. Tolkein, who also was interested in the Gothic language — since both Low and High Taulkisch are derived from Gothic, the name should be appropriate.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Smerdis of Tlön
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Smerdis of Tlön »

Nuirn has a lot of these, especially in place names. America is Meyric, the kingdom of virgins. Africa is Affaric, the kingdom of monkeys. Sacramento, California, is Glettenborgh, i.e. "Crackerville". Mainland China is Stór Laisin, "Big China".
Bodewert
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Bodewert »

In all of my conlangs have some variation of tjen (in English, tyen), which can either be yes, good or light (FroeckJurunKlaen was tokipona-esque). For example, in Wedhos, the lang I am currently working on, there is Then (t̪en (I can't distinguish vowels for IPA, e is as in bet)). Also, less notably, every word for person begins in ß if ß is in it's phonology. That's a memorial to my inability to keep focused on one conlang and not start over.
Also, in Wedhos, there are these politically charged words, berren for justice (again excuse my inability for differentiating IPA vowels)( beɾen) and sanedez (sænedez). Berren from Bernie and sanedez from Sanders (Bernie Sanders being a Presidential candidate)