Yonataoran Religions

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Yonataoran Religions

Post by Shemtov »

The Yonataorins live in an alternate history, where a colony of Greeks in the Crimea grew into large empire. However, they were very different from the other ancient Greeks, as the encountered a group of Hebrews on their way to colonizing their colony around 750 BCE, and based on the Hebrew religion, founded their own religion called Mikhonism . (Based on my own beliefs, this point assumes that the traditional Jewish timeline of Jewish History is true. If you have different beleifs, remember that this is just a conhistory, anyway.)
I have constructed three religions practiced in the Yonataorin Empire, each of which, in history at least, corresponds to the three Major Abrahamic Religions. The state religion, Mikhonism, which this post is about, is the Judaism equivalent.
Mikhonism believes that that when the Yonataorans' ancestors met the Israelite boats, the leader of the Yonataoran fleet, Mikhon, believed in the Israelite G-d and convinced most of his fleet to. When they began their colony, Mikhon received a vision from G-d (Adon Theos or just Theos) that as long as he and his people believed in Theos, they would be the "Chosen from the Unchosen" that is, the Israelite's emissaries to the rest of the Unchosen when the Golon (The Messiah) comes. They believe in this vision Mikhon received a set of instructions on ritual law and sacrifice that would assure their position as "Chosen from the Unchosen". He also was instructed to write 5 books as the "Hagioghafos" The scriptures. These books are: 1. The Life of Mikhon- The story of his life 2. Laws- The above mentioned instructions on ritual law and sacrifice. 3. Odes- 365 songs of praise to Theos written by Mikhon 4.Wisdom- Wise sayings and proverbs Mikhon received from Theos and 5: Apokalifis- a mystical vision of the Future saw by Mikhon. He also was told that when any of his line- who would wear the Yonataorin crown eternally- would receive instructions to write holy books, they too would be included in the Hagioghafos.
A book of the Hagioghafos written around 200 years later "Fotopuros" tells how the evil king, Orikhalkos, eliminated Mikhonism, until it was restored by his nephew Fotopuros. It is, in truth, the time when all previous books of the Hagioghafos were redacted as Fotopuros was really the one who established Mikhonism.
Other books of the Hagioghafos written after this include:
Lusaneros: The life and speeches of Lusaneros, a worthy priest, who attracted the attention of the King.
Tupak Shakor- The story of a convert to Mikhonism and his struggle to find acceptance in Yonataorin society and his "Miraculous" deliverance. (Yes, this named after the rapper, though I'm not a fan. His name is just cool.)
Lukaneros- The story of an evil king named Lukos, and his conversion and name change to Lukaneros.
The Hagioghafos was eventually "sealed" by king Timotheos.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Yonataoran Religions

Post by Shemtov »

The Sacrificial system was based on that of the Hebrews.

There were three kinds of sacrifices:

1. The Acceptance Sacrifice- brought to join the Mikhonians, as a general accompaniment to prayer, on certain holidays and every day, before any other sacrifices could be offered, two Acceptance Birds had to brought on every altar as an "Opener"

2. The Sin Sacrifice- brought on certain holidays, and whenever a person sinned and confessed it of his own accord to a priest, the priest could tell him to bring this sacrifice.

3. The Feast Sacrifice- accompanied by a libation of wine, and a meal-offering, this was brought on certain holidays, and whenever a person felt thankful. Most of it was eaten by the offerer.

Every town had a temple, with an altar. The only ones who could offer sacrifices (except in "emergencies"- when a person was a certain distance away from "civilization" and had an animal and met certain other requirements ) were the priests. The King was automatically a priest, and he could make priests by pouring "fragrant water" on their heads. These priests could make other priests.

Timotheos reformed it, so that all priests not "made" by the King had to complete a certain course of ecclesiastical study.

Every Mikhonian had to give a head tax to their local temple, which would send a fifth of their tax to the "Central Temple"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

One of the Major Holy Days of Mikhonism was "The Day of Cleansing", modeled after the Hebrew Yom Kippur, as it occured ten days after new years.
The story behind it in the Hagioghafos was that Theos was angry at Mikhon for "allowing the people to stray" and told him to preform a ceremony on "The Day of Cleansing" to both atone, and to call to the people to change. He also told him that this ceremony should be preformed every year, just in case a similar situation occurred.
The Ceremony had to be done by the King, at the central Altar. This Altar had a frame built around it, and had to be in the same building as, when Mikhon was alive his "designated tomb" and his actual tomb after he died. It also had to be within "seeing distance" of the spot where the Yonataorans first made landfall.
Mikhon's tomb had to have a wall at its head. The only situation where a person could stand on Mikhon's burial ground was the King during "The Day of Cleansing".
The King had to fast from the night before (even though Yonataoran days began at dawn) and also had to abstain from sex the night before and take a bath just before dawn.
The Ceremony consisted of:
1. The King offering The daily "opening offering"
2. The King Offering a Yearling Lamb as an acceptance sacrifice
3. The King offering a Bull as a Sin Offering, then collecting it's ashes and putting them in a safe space.
4. The king burning Incense on the Altar.
5. The King entering into the burial ground and splashing water mixed with incense on Mikhon's headwall.
6. The King reading passages about "The Day of Cleansing" from the Hagioghafos
7. The King taking the ashes from the Sin Bull and scattering them over Mikhon's burial Ground
8. The King preparing a Feast offering to be eaten that night to celebrate a successful ceremony.
-JRR Tolkien
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Why is god hyphenated?
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Overextension to put it unduly politely.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Why is god hyphenated?
My religion requires all mentions of an Abrahamic G-d to be written that way unless it's in sacred texts. But this board likes to stay away from Natreligions, so can we all just respect each other.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The second religion, Yisaryelism, is the Christianity equivalent, though it must be noted that it really isn't much of a separate religion, but rather a sect of Mikhonism separated from the "Central Temple".
Yisaryelians believed that the "Chosen Nation" spoken about in the Hagioghafos (Yisaryel) was a metaphor for the "Chosen Soul". All the stories of the Nation's history in the Hagioghafos are metaphors for heavenly events, and Mikhon's fleet had a vision of the Chosen Soul that was called "Yisaryelian boats" as a metaphor.
They believed that after The Hagioghafos was "sealed" by king Timotheos, this Chosen Soul came down in child in the Yonataorin Empire that became a Mikhonic priest, but latter had a vision telling him of his "true nature and purpose". He was supposed to also be the Golon, and usher in a Utopian age. However, when he sent emissaries to the Mikhonic king, the King mistook his message as that of him demanding the kingdom, and hounding Yisaryel to his secret temple, and brutally killed him on the altar, after which he calmed down and recognized his mistake, though still saying that Yisaryel was neither Chosen Soul nor Golon.
After his death, Yisaryel's followers claimed to find a note from him explaining that his death was a good thing. If even the "Chosen from the Unchosen" rejected him and killed him, the world was not ready to be a utopia. After such a rejection , the "Mikhonic Covenant" deserved to be abrogated. However, his death on the Altar served as a sin-sacrifice for the Mikhonians, so as long as there were Mikhonians who believed in him as a sacrifice, and paid the care-takers of the Altar yearly, the covenant would endure. Any Mikhonian who didn't do this would not be allowed to enter Paradise until Yisaryel came back. When the Mikhonic king recognized Yisaryel, he would resurrect.
The note also told his followers to turn his notes and some certain texts that they were to write into "The Yisaryelian Part of the Hagioghafos"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The third religion, Tasimonism, is supposed to correspond to Islam, at least in the history, but not in theology.
It was founded by an innkeeper named Tasimon, whose inn where a certain Normative Mikhonian priest and a certain Yisaryelian priest would meet for polemic debates, which Tasimon would listen to. It soon became clear to them that all three were unsatisfied with certain aspects of the religions, such as sacrifice. Tasimon eventually claimed prophecy, and founded a new religion called Tasimonism, whose sacred text was one book called the Theoghafos.
The Theoghafos said that there was a chosen soul, who's mission was to make up for Adaman's (Adam) and Nuk's (Noah) failures which allowed the dark angel called "The Prince of Lies" to introduce immorality to mankind. A lot of Tasimonian ideas were based on the Book of the Hagioghafos called the Book of Ta'or, which told of a supposed reason why "Ta'oria" (The Crimea) was chosen as Mikhoism base, based on the idea that Ta'oria and the Ta'orians had had a massive struggle for G-d in the distant past. The Theoghafos told how the Chosen Soul was sent down 4 times before, as Ta'or (legendary ancestor of the Ta'orians), Aslan (Ta'or's great-grandson, who both in the Book of Ta'or and the Theoghafos had an epic struggle wit his evil brother Toshos), Mikhon, and Yisaryel. However, their messages had been corrupted by the Prince of Lies, especially introducing the idea of sacrifice as a divine service. Tasimon was the last incarnation of the Chosen Soul, who would defeat the Prince of Lies. He also said that if he ever died, it was an illusion by the Prince of Lies. He also said whoever wasn't buried in the "essential Ta'oria" could not enter paradise, even if he was righteous, until the Prince of Lies was defeated. He also introduced the idea of "Sabaton" that Saturday should be a day of communal prayer where no non-necessary business dealings could be done. He also prescribed near-total veganism, though he said that followers could eat meat and dairy if they bought it from a non-believer who didn't produce it for the believers' sake, and not from the same dealer for the next year.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Aside from New Years and The Day of Cleansing, the most important Mikhonic holiday was The Feast Of Neos Stefanos, which would fall on our March 31.
After the "opener" Acceptance Offering was offered, all the people were to assemble to their local Temple and offer two birds as an acceptance offering for each adult male, and the town was to offer between themselves enough Feast Offering to feed everyone. After the Feast Offering had been cooked, everyone would gather at a dining hall. At this point, the Chief Priest of the Temple would read the story of how Mikhon received the initial books of the Hagioghafos and how the Mikhonic covenant was made from "The Life of Mikhon", up to the point were it records that "Mikhon told all the assembled all the Laws of Adon Theos", at which point, the Chief Priest would read the entire Book of Laws, excluding the part about the day of cleansing. When he was done, he would read the rest of the above-mentioned story in "The Life of Mikhon". When he was done, the people would begin the feast.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

I've written the first chapter of the book of Fotopuros:
1.It happened after the death of King Epikrates, that he had two sons. 2. The name of the first was Laertes, and the names of the second was Orikhalkos. 3. Laertes ascended the throne, and had a son named Fotopuros and then [Laertes] fell ill and died. 4. And before his death he charged Orikhalkos to be king, as Fotopuros was to young to be crowned. 5. [Laertes] told Orikhalkos that he should treat Fotopuros as his own son, and that Fotopuros should be heir. 6. Now, Orikhalkos married a Taorian woman who took the name “Dione”. 7. Now, Dione was not turned unto Theos [G-d], and she began to convince Orikhalkos to worship Teghos, great god of Taoria. 8. And three years after the death of his brother Laertes, King Orikhalkos took Dione to the Great Temple on the Day of Cleansing, and slept with her loathsomely on the main altar, defiling [the altar]. 9 And [he] took his seed and sprinkled it as a libation to Kasetiame (goddess of Taoria), and declared “I have no portion in Theos, 10 "Priests of Theos, continue your dedication to him, but you will have no King of Mikhon's line to guide you.” 11. And the priests of Theos began to whisper among themselves that they would depose Orikhalkos and place Fotopuros on the throne when [Fotopuros] came of age. 12 And Dione heard, and she spoiled all of Theos' temples and slew many of his priests. 13. And the rest [of the priests] she exiled to the Euxine Islands. 14. And she wished to kill Fotopuros, but she was barren, so she took him as her own son, and told him that he was [her son].
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Shemtov wrote:Tasimonism,
A Major influence on Tasimonism was a sect/philosophy of Mikhonism called "Monografism". The Monografists were the believers in the textual analysis of the Hagioghafos by the Priest Nikagoros the Nerian. He contended that Mikhon was only given one book that made up the Hagioghafos, and he was also never given permission to add new books to the Hagioghafos. He claimed that Fotopuros, wanting glory for himself, deposed his uncle Orikhalkos, claimed he was a heathen, split the Mikhonian books into five parts, wrote his own book, and added a few historical records and some fake "rediscoveries" as part of the Hagioghafos. Nikagoros claimed that after this action of Fotopuros, the Mikhonian covenant was voided, however it could be restored if a. the original Hagioghafos was reconstructed through logic and b. this reconstruction was accepted by a descendant of Mikhon with political Hegemony. He advocated that the laws in the Mikhonic books should be followed to prepare for when the reconstruction was accepted. This influenced Tasimonism, as the Theoghafos used a lot of Nikagoros's arguments about why there could only be one divine book as proof that Mikhon and Yisaryel's messages were "corrupted, though of course he didn't use Nikagoros's "Argument of Arguments", as that was based on a doctrine that Tasimon rejected. In addition, Nikagoros proposal for the actions of Fotopuros influenced the Theoghafos's description of how Mikhon's message was corrupted.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Shemtov wrote: The note also told his followers to turn his notes and some certain texts that they were to write into "The Yisaryelian Part of the Hagioghafos"
So, what this group of scriptures contain is five bookd, which Yisaryel claimed to correspond to the Five Mikhonic Books, which corresponded to the Five Books of the Chosen (His interpretation of the idea of the Pentateuch).
These books are:
1. The Life of Yisaryel: A book to be written by his followers describing his life and ministry.
2. The Instructions of Yisaryel: Part of the notes "Found" by his followers, describing the idea of the purpose of his death, and how his followers were to proceed.
3. The Apokalifis of Yisaryel: A vision of the future granted to him by Theos, that was also part of the notes "found" by his followers. Also contains a test by "The Prince of Lies" of Yisaryel's worthiness to take on his role as Golon at the present time, at Theos' command.
4. The Book of Epistles: Epistles sent out by his followers from after his death until a "Male descendant of Mikhon" converted to Yisaryelism. It also contains a history of his followers during that period, as the epistles had to be "in context".
5. Huberon: Huberon was the "Male descendant of Mikhon" mentioned above, and he was instructed to write an account of why he came to believe in Yisaryel.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

I have fleshed out Tasimonism a lot. It still has a lot of inspiration from Islam, including a belief similar to Islamic Taḥrīf, prostrating while praying, set prayers,a day of communal prayer, claiming to be the original religion,having one book as scripture, hadith-like traditions, and teetotalism. However, this being surface-level stuff, the details are different, such as the Taḥrīf-like belief being more emphasized in the Scripture- now called the Theologos, instead of the Theoghafos- with it having sections about the "original form", the prayers are three (though the Theologos admits it should be five, but that given the social position of its followers, it has been reduced by Theos for practical reasons though "Praiseworthy and Pious is one who prayers are five-fold", but that has more to do with five being a holy number in all Yonataoran Monotheistic religions.), the day of communal prayer is Saturday, and the entire prayer is recited prostrate. In addition, the theology is more like Arian Christianity, and influence has been taken from the Cult of Mithras and Dharmic religions.

The belief is that no covenant was made with Mikhon. After Adam and Noah "drank wine" Theos made a "chosen soul" that would defeat the tempter, the "Prince of Lies". This soul had to be reincarnated five times to complete the "divine plan". Tasimon is just the last incarnation, the previous being Ta'or, Aslan, Mikhon, and Yiseryel. The religion managed to survive his death because the Theologos notes "If Tasimon seems to die, know he lives forever, and has gone for the Heavenly battle before the Earthly one; the body will be a construct of the Prince of Lies; throw it aside".

The Theologos is divided into 52 homilies, each on one topic. It is believed to be the direct word of Theos, co-created with the "Chosen soul"- its references to latter events are expressions of Theos' omniscience, as the Theologos was not meant to be revealed until "the last incarnation"

Ritual practice does not include sacrifices, an essential part of Mikhonism/Yisryelism, as the Theologos equates killing animals to murder, and a non-vegan diet like "imbibing alcohol". Every day, when he wakes up,around noon, and before he sleeps, an adult Male Tasimonian prostrates himself and recites the prayer. The women are only obligated once a day. The Saturday noon prayer is communal (again, women are excluded, but are obligated in the three private prayers on Saturday) conducted in a place called a Theoyos. The Theoyos is to be bare, with only a bed for the "week leader" and a "charity chamber", with a water-trough for the necessary ablution of the hands outside. If the Theoyos is in Ta'oria (The Crimea) direction does not matter, unless it is in a coastal town, in which case, the worshipers must face away from the sea; if it is outside Ta'oria, the worshipers must face any point in Ta'oria; This is because the Theologos calls Ta'oria "The first-made land." The Theoyos does not have permanent sacredness, and may be sold if needed to anybody that it is permitted to sell to (anyone but "butchers, tavern-owners, drunkards, or gluttons"), the one exception being "The first Theoyos" where Tasimon received the Theologos, but pilgrimage to it is not a requirement, though "All Theoyoses should occasionally send their pious there to witness to them the site of the receiving".

The communal worship consists of at least five Men- though Theoyoses may not be formed unless "There are 25, or 15 in emergencies; if not believers must leave their home to form a Theoyos" They elect a worship-leader, who must be a "founding member, born as a Believer, or have been a Believer for five years". A person is disqualified for worship-leader candidacy for the two weeks after having the role. They then all prostrate themselves and recite the prayer, and then the worship-leader repeats it out loud "the repetition should be recited by all, in unison, but as humans this would cause confusion; thus I have allowed the worship-leader". The other worshipers must be prostrate throughout the repetition. Theoyoses are encouraged to have "Communal insertions into the prayer"; many versions circulated between Theoyoses. After this, the worship-leader reads the Homily of the Week (starting on the first Saturday of the New Year) and adds "His thoughts on the Homily as a Sermon" after the reading.

Festivals are all Saturdays, with "Festive communal insertions into the prayer" being required that Saturday. Thus the first Saturday after New Years is the New Years festival, all festivals being on the "first Saturday after X date" (after includes "on"). At night of the festival, before they sleep, worshipers put a table in the Theoyos and all pitch in for a "communal meal" at which they discuss the "message" of that festival. The table has a fire in the middle, and before eating all worshipers must throw in a bit of their food "this is the only sacrifice".
Last edited by Shemtov on 24 Jan 2019 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Another aspect of Tasimonism is the collection of sayings and incidents of Tasimon after "he realized who he is". This is a direct command of the Theologos: "And when Tasimon has gone above, those who know him shall collect his sayings and deeds, so there be no doubt [in the interpretation] of this work". Various versions circulated through different Theoyeyoi (plural of Theoyos), but each claiming to be part of an original version. Small pamphlets of selections circulated through Theoyeyoi, and if a different version occurred, or one that didn't appear their version, they would have the pious examine them and vote on whose onus the scribal error fell. One example:
One person wanted to convert but said "He says 'killing animals is murder'. What a burden! I step on ants- must I go so far as to guard myself [from that]?" Tasimon heard of him and said loudly "The creepers which no one eats, that can be grasped and crushed, and the fliers which no one eats, can be grasped and crushed are not animals. They feel nothing. But if a pious [person] wishes to guard themselves against their death, he loses nothing- in fact, praise to him!" Then [the person] converted
The Theologos requires one to visit Ta'oria once in their lives, and pray one communal prayer there. It also requires one to be buried in Ta'oria or be put in limbo until "The Prince of Lies is defeated", though this is described as "a dreamless sleep for the righteous." (note that as Yiseryel was the chosen soul, he got a free pass) Thus, "The rich should purchase for all believers graves in Ta'oria" However Homily 33 "Outside Burial" or as another tradition called it "The Nerian King" talks about how this can be skipped: It presents the story of the Nerian King, who in Mikhonism/Yiseryelism is a pagan king who was friendly to Ta'or and Aslan, was actually "made a believer by Aslan" but when Aslan died "knew he could not be buried in Ta'oria" yet "his piety" which is described in this homily, "made him sleep until this work was revealed- then he entered the Garden of the Pious Dead". It then ends with an acknowledgement of Lusaneros:
Lusaneros killed animals, and ate their meat, drinking wine, and was buried in The Neck [outside of Ta'oria]. Yet he will be treated as the righteous on the day when Lies are defeated, for he turned many from idolatry, and comforted many.: "There is one Theos! Worship no other!". Thus you who do not do such crimes and are pious, what is burial outside to you?. Let your piety suffice, so increase it!.
The Theologos also states that "one must do what the Government instructs, unless they make him sin." and says "If Theos wills it, then a government will follow this work. Do not become agitated!". This was even though the exact kind of "Heretic" that the Mikhonic king assessed them to be had to pay five-fold taxes, and submit to be whipped five lashes every year. If they did not submit to the lashes, they would be forcipbly whipped 15 times for the first offense, 25 times for the second offense (both in addition to the five "normal" ones) and beheaded for the third offense. However, because of "one must do what the Government instructs", hardly any Tasimonists were given even the 15 plus five- in fact one Mikhonist writer notes "Some of them- who they call pious- rejoice when they submit to the five lashes"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

I want to about an idea I touched on in the previous post- the Tasimonian idea of "Pious".
Tasimonism rejected the idea of clergy, there is an entire homily in the Theologos related to that idea:
I have made all men who follow the Theologos equal, so what are clergy but an idea of the Prince of Lies? Besides, look to those who admit I am one and no other- what role do their clergy play?- they can sacrifice animals- a worship of [i.e. introduced by] the Prince of Lies- and others can't. Thus clergy are of [i.e. introduced by] the Prince of Lies
However, there was an "Admission" that after Tasimon was "Taken Up" )i.e. died, but remember they believed the body was "planted by the Prince of Lies") there would be a need for "guides". Thus two types of "guides" existed, but they obtained their position by "communal recognition" instead of a ceremony.

The first was "The Wise". These were people who had done deep study of the Theologos and the " collection of sayings and incidents of Tasimon" and could "speak wisely about them" and "bring people to the Theologos".

The second were "The Pious". Usually Pious were also "wise". The Theologos describes "Pious" as:
....anyone who goes beyond the duties of the Theologos, and follows practices I call "pious" or "praiseworthy" or a practice that the Chosen Soul praises as pious or praiseworthy
The Theologos says this of the "guides":
I do recommend the guides as prime candidates for Prayer Leader, but make sure no one's feelings are hurt- the guides should not be prideful, or non-guides humble before them. And if a person comes from another Theoyos, with a note saying he is qualified to be a Prayer Leader- though this note must not recognize him as a guide or non-guide- he too is a prime candidate for Prayer Leader. Surely I wish to make the wanderers comfortable
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

As to the voting process for Tasimonian prayer leaders: The Theologos instructed that the first person entering the Theoyos sit on the head of the prayer-leader's bed; the second to enter on the foot of the bed; these were the candidates. Despite "the recommendation" that "guides" be given precedence, "each man is to vote according to his conscience, if he sees a good reason to elect a non-guide over a guide, let him do so if his conscience feels his reason to be sound". If an even number of voters was present, and they tied, the one at the head (the first to enter) was leader, though he had an option to "refuse" and "make the other candidate the winner" "if his conscience feels so". The guides main role was to provide "rulings" regarding "interpretation of the Theologic law to a case", though "comparisons" were "not to be made", rather, "each case most be judged on its own, by the guide the questioner feels most comfortable asking".
There was also an ecclesiastical jury system in place; if someone was accused of violating "the law of religion" straws were to be drawn for 25 men to be the jury, and the accuser and the accused would argue before the jury, who would vote blind. If found guilty, the jury was to be confined to a room to discuss the penalty. The penalty could be "excommunication for a term", meaning that the person could not be prayer leader and had to pray inside a red square in the Theoyos during that period assigned, if a guide "removal of guide status" either "for a term" or "until he shows new proof of being a worthy guide". In extreme cases, they could "exile" the person, forcing him to move house if he wanted to attend a Theoyos, as he could no longer pray at the Theoyos in question. As people traveling to another Theoyos had to have a letter explaining them, noting their status as able to be a prayer leader, the exile could carry a note saying that he be "excommunicated for a term" at the new Theoyos, though in some cases, the Jury would write in his letter "If he seems contrite when showing the letter, let your guides examine his contriteness; if genuine ignore the penalty other then exile". Note that exile was reserved for "He who commits multiple sins in public grievously or he that does a sin that has been brought before a jury of you[r Theoyos] many times in the past year, finding many of them guilty". As the first part of the quote shows, sins in public were treated more seriously then private ones; someone found guilty of drinking wine in private might be excommunicated for four months,while in public, it might be a year.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

In addition to the Festive Saturdays, Theoyosoi are encouraged to have holiday-like feasts on an available Saturday (not a holiday and with time to prepare) if a member has had a child, gets married, or if a "minor boy" who is a son of a member attains "majority" (14). These are sponsored by the whole Theoyos, as "You are all brothers; rejoice with your brother's joy; make it like your own". The difference is that on holidays, the "host", the one to speak first, is voted on, while for these the "celebrant" is host. In addition, changes in Theoyos location, the acquiring of a new "Prayer leader bed" major repairs to the Theoyos, also have feasts, though, like a holiday, the "host" is voted on. In both cases, extra praises may be added to the afternoon prayer, though for a personal celebration the "celebrant" may demur this "so not to burden the Theoyos on his account". In both cases, the discussion is on the Weekly Homily. Theoyoses collected "wise" Afternoon Sermons, and feast-discussions and kept them in a library on the right wall, the top shelf having the Theologos, the middle shelf the collection of sayings and incidents of Tasimon, and the Sermons and Discussions on the bottom shelf. Sermons and Discussions were occasionally shared with other Theoyosoi. In addition, a stand with another Theologos was placed to the right of the entrance, and worshipers would kiss it upon entering and exiting.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Holy men in Mikhonism beyond the priesthood:
There are different categories of Priests that would engage in extra strictures in addition to their communal function, for personal Spiritual development.
The main one of these are Hermits. Hermits were priests that would ask the chief priest of their local temple to allow them to retreat into uninhibited zones, building an altar, and bringing animals for sacrifices with them, which was the only thing they would eat, besides the toasted grain and pickled fruit they would bring, but the main part of their diet was sacrificial meat. They would sleep on the altar after the fire cooled down, and upon awakening, would bow on it with the prayer "O Theos, my sacrifices accept, do not turn away from your servant's righteousness." (Odes 51:3). They would return on holidays and once a month to get more supplies and, if married, sleep with their wives. Yisyeryel was a hermit, so after him Hermits had to undergo extensive interviews.

Wanderers were a class based on the actions of the priest Lusenaros and King Timotheos. They would wander from town to town for a year, and be honored their. The idea was that always being away from home promoted spiritual growth.

To be continued....
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The Theosophers were a group of priests that studied the Mikhonic scriptures to understand "the nature of Theos' will". They had academies sponsored by the government, where they would study Theosophy. Theosophers could also invite rich, well-studied laymen to discuss with them. They discussed many topics, even science and aesthetics could be considered Theosophy (how the world works, what Theos wanted in art).

There was one group, not officially sponsored by the Government, but rather "Each temple should make their own decision". This was because the Kings were against this group, but feared rebellion if they tried to stop them. These were the "Men of Theos". They were mostly former Theosophers, who wanted some of the emotional spirituality of the Hermits and Wanderers. Friendly temples would make special altars for them outside the town limits. They would travel with "Bags" of the scroll of the Laws of Michon, The Odes, The Wisdom of Mikhon, certain selected scriptures, and certain Theosophic works. They would only have water on them, and they would wander the countryside, like the wanderers, but would have no contact in the Towns, except to beg for food and sacrificial animals. They would this by showing their knowledge, and when they became well-known, by name value. They would then retreat to the altar, sacrifice on it, and wait for the ashes to cool, and sleep on the ashen altar, like a Hermit. If they were well known, they would stay a while by the altar, as the populace saw well-known "Men of Theos" to be "Dispensers of Spiritual advice". They often had followers come with them. When they had 25 followers, who followed them through a certain number of towns (usually 5) they would often "settle" "Tent Cities" where the only built building was their Temple, and they would teach from there. Believers in them thought of those who had "settled" that they were second only to the King and the High Functionaries of the priesthood in spiritual knowledge. The Yiseryelan Book of Epistles mentions how the early Yiseryelians almost forgot about their obligation to have missionaries until a person, who did not know of Yiseryel's being wanted or his death, coming to them, under the impression that Yiseryel was a "settled" "Man of Theos"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The Tasimonian version of the story of Adam is the first half of the second Homily of the Theologos "Adam and Noah". The first Homily acts as an introduction to the other 51 Homilies, and gives a "taste", a summary of them.
1. A Homily from Theos, of his Logos, the Theologos: 2. I created the world and all in it, except mankind, in five days. 3. On the sixth day I made Adam and his wife, and placed them in a garden. 4. I said to them: "Do not hurt any living creature of flesh and bone! 5. They are to help you, and bear your burdens. 6. And eat of the trees of this garden, 7. Except of the wine-vine in it, which I have clearly marked" 8. (For there were two grape vines in that garden: one of regular grapes, and one whose grapes' juice was already wine) 9. "And on the day you violate this, you will die. 10. And I will create a new pair of humans." 11. Now, the Prince of Lies, I sent to tempt them. 12. And he approached Adam's wife: "Eat of the wine vine, 13 For Theos will grant it to you, if you fulfill your time, 14 Yet when you eat of it, you will attain knowledge [like that of] the angels. 15. Earlier or later, it does not matter, nothing is better then this knowledge, 16. Eat, Know and Perish!" 17. And at first she refused, but the Liar pressured her greatly. 18. And she came to her husband and told him this. 19. And at first he refused, but his wife pressured him. 20. And they ate, and became drunk. 21. And the Prince of Lies came again and said "Thus says Theos: 22. Sacrifice a lamb to me, for this is not 'harm'". 23. And Adam did so. 24. I sent an angel down to restore him to his senses. 25. And he began to cry when he saw what he had done. 26. And I said "Adam, you will perish, 28. Yet because you cried, I will grant you life on the seventh day". 29. And when day dawned on the seventh day Adam prostrated himself, and prayed for mercy. 30. And at noon I came to him: "Your prayer is answered! 31 Yet you will leave this garden on the dawn of tomorrow. 32. For a seven day period is now a week. 33. And in matters of faith, your wife will not be your equal, [for] she listened first. 34. And I will prepare another soul [Noah] in the future, to try to extract his people, your sons, from being from a drunken father. 35. And if he fails, I will flood the world, and establish him and his wife as you and your [wife]. 36. But the Prince of Lies will be hard against him, to make him like you. 37. Now, when night falls, feast with the fruit, and burn some of it to me, 38. This is the only sacrifice." 39. And Adam bowed, and did as I said. 40. And on the dawn of the next day, I sent angels to drive out Adam and his wife from the Garden, and set on fire, until what I had promised him came to pass.
-JRR Tolkien