Metal Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Re: Metal Thread

Post by sangi39 »

Linguifex wrote:My band opened for Psychostick a few weeks ago!
What?! When? Where? All of the other interrogatives!

opipik wrote:Australian Aboriginal metal.
Yes, exactly that.
Can't say I'm a fan. Most of the music is more or less to my taste, but I don't really like the vocal style. Interesting, though [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

sangi39 wrote:
Yes, exactly that.
Can't say I'm a fan. Most of the music is more or less to my taste, but I don't really like the vocal style. Interesting, though [:)]
Eh, I think my problem was mainly that it isn't that interesting. I didn't exactly hate anything about it, but there just doesn't seem to be that much to love, either. I mean, the concept is great, but they don't seem to make that much use of it. The music is fairly good, but the songwriting just strikes me as rather typical for the genre. And yeah, maybe they'd benefit from a somewhat stronger vocalist, but I suppose this guy could also sound just fine on somewhat stronger songs.

Ultimately, I think I was mainly disappointed in their singing language; got my hopes up, but turns out they don't actually sing in Arrernte. That would've been enough to qualify them as awesome in my book, but in English, they're just kinda okay.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
Yes, exactly that.
Eh, I think my problem was mainly that it isn't that interesting. I didn't exactly hate anything about it, but there just doesn't seem to be that much to love, either. I mean, the concept is great, but they don't seem to make that much use of it. The music is fairly good, but the songwriting just strikes me as rather typical for the genre. And yeah, maybe they'd benefit from a somewhat stronger vocalist, but I suppose this guy could also sound just fine on somewhat stronger songs.

Ultimately, I think I was mainly disappointed in their singing language; got my hopes up, but turns out they don't actually sing in Arrernte. That would've been enough to qualify them as awesome in my book, but in English, they're just kinda okay.
I have to admit, when I found out that they didn't sing in Arrernte I was a little disappointed. A lot of interviews I dug into were calling them "the most isolated metal band in the world" and "aborigine metal" was thrown around a lot, but the more I dug, the more it just seemed to be fairly typical metal.

Aborigine "folk" metal could be quite cool, even if it just came down to lyrical themes rather than throwing a didgeridoo at it (if you kind of take a skewed view of Tengger Cavalry and throat singing "sounding like a didgeridoo, it could work).

It's kind of like Verjnuarmu. They're a self-styled "Savo metal" band, but they're mostly just a doom/folk/death metal band that sings in the Savo dialect of Finnish [:P]
Just one time.
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

I was also disappointed that they don't sing in Arrernte because that'd be awesome.
I found that Yothu Yindi covered AC/DC's song "Jailbreak", complete with didgeridoo and clapsticks, though
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

sangi39 wrote:It's kind of like Verjnuarmu. They're a self-styled "Savo metal" band, but they're mostly just a doom/folk/death metal band that sings in the Savo dialect of Finnish [:P]
With the slight difference that millions of bands sing in English, and basically nobody else sings in Savonian - especially in their genre. Plus, they're awesome.

opipik wrote:I was also disappointed that they don't sing in Arrernte because that'd be awesome.
I found that Yothu Yindi covered AC/DC's song "Jailbreak", complete with didgeridoo and clapsticks, though
Ooh, that was indeed nice. [:)] Even better, they actually had songs (partially) written in - *googles* - Gumatj, a form of Yolŋu Matha, like this one here. Not metal, so strictly speaking inappropriate for this thread, but a nice song nonetheless.

Couldn't find a translation, though, which is a little annoying. [:S]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote:
sangi39 wrote:It's kind of like Verjnuarmu. They're a self-styled "Savo metal" band, but they're mostly just a doom/folk/death metal band that sings in the Savo dialect of Finnish [:P]
With the slight difference that millions of bands sing in English, and basically nobody else sings in Savonian - especially in their genre. Plus, they're awesome.
All right, they're mostly just the only doom/folk/death metal band that sings in the Savo dialect of Finnish [:P] They are pretty awesome though. I can't remember how I stumbled across them. Possibly a suggested link on YouTube from a Le Grand Guignol song, or maybe Mokoma, which would be weird.
Just one time.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Yes, exactly that.
I'm actually OK with the vocalist. It's just that the lyrics are... well, they're pish, if I'm to be blunt.
The solos were pleasantly surprising though; I expected something tamer.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Watching Steve Hughes for a bit of "heavy metal comedy". Skip to, 13:14 for a pretty good description of Metal and the people who are into it summed up in 20 seconds [:)] Oh, and obligatory warning, there is a fair amount of swearing in his stand-up.
Just one time.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

sangi39 wrote:
Linguifex wrote:My band opened for Psychostick a few weeks ago!
What?! When? Where? All of the other interrogatives!
Who: Amniote (my band), Fit for a Funeral, Psychostick, Ventana, and maybe As Summer Dies (can't remember if they were there or not)
What: A show for the release of Ventana's new CD
Where: The Agora, Cleveland, OH
When: February 12
Why: Because Ventana was releasing a CD, we need exposure, and it was the Agora, which is one of the biggest venues around here
How: IDK, ask our guitarist
How many: We sold, like, twelve tickets; there was a good crowd for the other bands
To what extent: We played our entire set up to that point

I should also mention that our bassist ended up with one of the larger pieces of the sombrero.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

My band is currently slated to open for Otep in June.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Linguifex wrote:My band is currently slated to open for Otep in June.
O.O *envy*
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I'm not a huge fan of the singer's clean vocals. They're good, just not a style I quite enjoy. But my god, that screaming is just... I love it [:D]
Just one time.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

New Alestorm out. This is one of my favorites on the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQBs6vXjFhc
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

I like it! [:D]
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBoFQ0yRSXc&t=170s
When I first heard this song I didn’t appreciate it. Now that I’ve listened to it again, it’s my favorite song on No Grave But The Sea and is one of the best Alestorm songs. It’s about the Pseudo-Scientific Time-Cube Theory, which is also Anti-Semitic, Anti-Religion, Anti-Christian and Homophobic, but a close examination of the lyrics show it to be a subtle parody of the theory, rather then embracing it. And, Hell, silly subject-matter for song’s is Alestorm’s specialty. And for what should be just another of their “Silly Songs” actually has poetic lyrics. Besides, the sound mixing is the one of the best I’ve heard on any metal song.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Aw hell, now Fast Eddie's dead. [:(] Turns out he was a pretty decent vocalist, too.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

And now we're apparently all two minutes from being dead. :roll: Although I can't say I'm convinced; the possibility of a global war where superpowers could resort to nuclear weapons must have felt very real in the 1950's when exactly that had just happened (and the fact that nukes were rapidly escalating in power can't have helped how people felt about it), but now? I've never considered myself an optimist, but somehow I feel things can get a lot worse than they are now before we're all consumed in nuclear hellfire... They're going to have to start advancing the Clock by seconds.

Then again, since they're now considering climate change, I suppose the current generation could pretty much go past midnight and leave its children and grandchildren to deal with the actual results.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Not quite Metal, but I saw Evanescence play down in London last weekend, and after 15 years of waiting to see them live, it was god damn amazing. Live music hits me a lot more than just plugging in a set of headphones or speakers, but I was a little shocked by the fact that I, no word of a lie, cried during several of their older songs, because that's what Evanescence was to me, i.e. the music that got me through the moments where I felt sad. I'm so glad I finally saw them, but it was the first gig I had to "come down" from, which was interesting.

Back on the Metal note, I get to go see Skálmöld in Manchester in two weeks, for the second time since I saw them at Eistnaflug in Iceland last year. They've been my favourite band now for close to two years, and you have no idea how glad I am that I spent 12 days in Iceland almost entirely to see them (I've wanted to visit Iceland for years now, and honestly didn't want to leave, but Skálmöld was the major incentive to go last year). I hugged the keyboardist, Gunnar Ben, when an Icelandic person I met and I went to see Auðn playing that afternoon (they were talking about random stuff, apparently just catching up, and all of a sudden I recognised who he was and couldn't help myself), and during a minor breakdown I had due to the "crowds" after Max and Igor Cavalera had finished playing, the bass guitarist of Skálmöld, Snæbjörn Ragnarsson, checked in with the friend I had flown over with to make sure I was okay. I messaged the band on Facebook about a week later after getting back to the UK, just to say thank you, not expecting a reply, and they wrote back, individually (Gunnar even said he remembered the hug, lol). Not only do I get to see a band I really enjoy, but I get to see a band I know really seems to care about their fans.

Two bands, and quite expensive for me, but so damn worth it! [:D]
Just one time.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

My band just had our first concert with the new lineup. Also, a few weeks ago we released an EP. (Not sure if it'd be frowned upon to link it here, so I've refrained from doing so for now.)
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Linguifex wrote: 13 Aug 2018 08:47 My band just had our first concert with the new lineup. Also, a few weeks ago we released an EP. (Not sure if it'd be frowned upon to link it here, so I've refrained from doing so for now.)
I think if people are interested, then a link in a PM might be okay.

NOTE: I'm interested [:P]
Just one time.