False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: False friends and other unfortunate coincidences

Post by Zé do Rock »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Sep 2018 03:34 The full pronunciations given on Wiktionary are:

IPA (key): /dʊʁç/, /dʊɐ̯ç/ (standard)
IPA (key): /dʊɐ̯x/, /dʊɪ̯ç/ (regionally)

Note that in standard German, even the [ɐ̯] pronunciation takes [ç]! [dʊɐ̯x] is acceptable regionally though (not sure which regions).
REFORMD

I usualy heer /duiç/ in standard, but probbably if sum-one sed /duɐ̯ç/ i wudnt eeven notice it. Co /x/ lu sonerai com un dialecto du sudest, como beirish o austrish. Otras palabras co R aún ten la /ç/, mesmo ki con un /ɐ̯/: lerche, kirche. Ki in Central Deutshland é pronunciado todo co /S/: lersche, kirsche.

ENGLISH

I usually hear /duiç/ in standard, but probably if someone said /duɐ̯ ç/ i wouldnt even notice it. With /x/ it would sound as a dialect from the southeast, as bavarian or austrian. Other words with R still have a /ç/, even when with an /ɐ̯:/: lerche, kirche. Which in Central Germany is pronounced always with /S/: lersche, kirsche.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

"Lerche" is larks and "Kirche" church, right? If someone said "Kirsche" to me, I'd think she or he was talking about cherries (or cherry-flavored drinks).
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Sep 2018 16:14 "Lerche" is larks and "Kirche" church, right? If someone said "Kirsche" to me, I'd think she or he was talking about cherries (or cherry-flavored drinks).
PROGRESAL EUROPAN

Ya, mi suppon ai nepoco pares laike dat... come 'mich' (mi) et 'misch' (melanger)... me pregunto cuantos pares na same gramaticale clas, donde la confusión es mas probable...

ENGLISH

Yeah, i guess there are quite a few pairs like that... as 'mich' (me) and 'misch' (mix)... i wonder how many pairs in the same grammatical class, where confusion is more likely...
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:deu: Mitter "Midnight" Yiddish /mitr/ "Mothers" (unrounding of HG umlauts) In the SE dialect it's also the singular- /u/>/i/
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

REFORMIRT

Interessant find ich, das in kaina doitshen statt mit mer als aina halben milion ainwonan man 'ich' sagte. In Berlin, Hamburg, Hannover, Bremen one wud say 'ik' in the dialect, in Dresden, Leepzsch (Leipzig), Frankford, Kölle one wud say 'isch', in Sturgard and Minga 'i'. Inton porkee diablo lis prendou 'ich', si tanti deutshe dialectos ha problemas co lu?

ENGLISH

I find it interesting that in no german city with more than half a million people people say 'ich' in their dialects. In Berlin, Hamburg, Hannover, Bremen one would say 'ik' in the dialect, in Dresden, Leepzsch (Leipzig), Frankford, Kölle one would say 'isch', in Sturgard and Minga 'i'. So why the hell they say 'ich', if so many german dialects have problems with it?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Zé do Rock wrote: 09 Sep 2018 23:39 ENGLISH

I find it interesting that in no german city with more than half a million people people say 'ich' in their dialects. In Berlin, Hamburg, Hannover, Bremen one would say 'ik' in the dialect, in Dresden, Leepzsch (Leipzig), Frankford, Kölle one would say 'isch', in Sturgard and Minga 'i'. So why the hell they say 'ich', if so many german dialects have problems with it?
Could it be just to fuck with us?

Probably not, I guess ...
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

eldin raigmore wrote: 10 Sep 2018 02:26
Zé do Rock wrote: 09 Sep 2018 23:39 ENGLISH

Could it be just to fuck with us?

Probably not, I guess ...
PROGRESAL EUROPAN

He he, probabli no... ma la gramaticalse complicacionen in deutshe shon... it was too long a lingua ki nobody spoke exept scolaris, e they loved complicaciones, since la plus harde la lingua is, la beta the elites can show ki they're someding beta ki the rifraf.

Au momento mi vas co mai velo de la polski-almande fronter a la danish-almand fronter, mi pasa par Vorpommern. Na periodico mi ha le un artucul in plattdeutsh e comprendí ki oeste plattdeutsh 'ju' (objecto form af the 2. pers. plural) tien a ver co hai aleman 'euch', porkee akie oni dice 'juch'. Akie no é ich-du-er-sie-es-wir-ihr-sie, e no é como na platt de Hamborg, ik-du-he-se-dat-wi-ji-se, akie é ik-du-hei-sei-et-wi-ji-sei. E 'bauch' wird zu 'buk', 'buch' wird zu 'bauk'... (in Hamburg platt 'bauch' is 'buk', 'buch' is 'book'). De toute fasson la platt ha no declinaciones, mas malheureusement il ist no el oficiale lingua in Allemagne, il ist mem en train de disaparetre. Pommern-platt is super rar akie, el único lugar donde todavia oni lo abla is in Brazil, mas allá lu is mezclado co portugalian...

ENGLISH

Heh heh, probably not... but i do think that they wanted to do it with the grammatical complications... it was too long a language that nobody spoke except scholars, and they loved complications, since the harder the language is, the better the elites can show that they're something better than the riffraff.

At the moment i cycle from the german-polish border to the german-danish border, i'm crossing Pomerania. In the paper i read an article in plattdeutsch and understood that western plattdeutsh 'ju' (object form of the 2. person plural) has to do with high german 'euch', because here it is 'juch'. Here they dont say ich-du-er-sie-es-wir-ihr-sie, and they dont say as in the platt of Hamburg, ik-du-he-se-dat-wi-ji-se, they say ik-du-hei-sei-et-wi-ji-sei. And 'bauch' (belly) becomes 'buk', 'buch' (book) becomes 'bauk'... (in Hamburg platt 'bauch' is 'buk', 'buch' is 'book'). Anyway plattdeutsh doesnt have cases, but unfortunately it's not the official language in Germany, it is even disappearing. Pomeranian platt is quite rare to hear here, the only place where they still speak it is in Brazil, but there it is mixed with portuguese...
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

Sglod wrote: 10 Jan 2016 17:23 :jpn: 顔 kao face :eng: cow
Like most, if not all, Japanee/English pairings in this topic, this is based on an (incorrect) English diphthongization of Japanese vowels. 顔 Kao should be pronounced [kä.o̞].
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

yangfiretiger121 wrote: 15 Sep 2018 16:33
Sglod wrote: 10 Jan 2016 17:23 :jpn: 顔 kao face :eng: cow
Like most, if not all, Japanee/English pairings in this topic, this is based on an (incorrect) English diphthongization of Japanese vowels. 顔 Kao should be pronounced [kä.o̞].
But like most, if not all, Japanese/English pairings in this topic, this doesn't claim that the Japanese word is pronounced with a diphthong. At least not outright. I can't speak for Sglod's original intentions.

For a pair/set of words to qualify for this thread, they don't have to be pronounced identically. Yes, kao isn't pronounced with a diphthong, but even so, it's not like [ka.o] is worlds away from [kʰaʊ̯].
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

REFORMAD

Cuando yo taba viajand a ded en autopistas nederlandish, fa mucho temp, a veses yo keriba disir "Por favor para na próxima salidum", y yo no sabiba com é la palabra pra 'salidum'. Nederlandish é frecuentement alg entre inglish i deutsh, mas nese caso la dos linguas tene palabras totalmente diferent, 'exit' i 'ausfahrt'. Ich dachte das in disem fall das wort im nederlandish ea wi das deutshe wort sain müsste, natürlich aba nederlandishisirt. 'Aus' becums 'uit', F is renderd V in nederlandish, at leest in germanic werds, and the long A is with AA, thus 'uitvaart'. Inton je disè toto temp 'Alsjeblieft, stop aan de volgende uitvaart' (por favor, stope na procimo salidum). Normalmente lis comprendou lo ki yo kereba disir, porkee muchos nederlandis fala tamben deutsh, mas un nederlando esplicou mi ki 'uitvaart' kere disir 'funeral'.

I, claro - wenn das hir noch nich erweent wurde: deutshe 'Gute fahrt' dusnt meen 'good fart!", it meens 'good trip!'

ENGLISH

When i was hitchhiking on dutch motorways, a long time ago, sometimes i wanted to say "Please dropp me off at the next exit", and i didnt know the word for 'exit'. Dutch is often something between english and german, but in this case both languages have totally different words, 'exit' and 'ausfahrt'. I thought that in this case it is more likely that dutch has the german word, of course adapted to dutch. 'Aus' becomes 'uit', F is rendered V in dutch, at least in germanic words, and the long A is with AA, thus 'uitvaart'. So i kept saying 'Alsjeblieft, stop aan de volgende uitvaart' (please, let me out at the next uitvaart). They usually understood it because many dutch people speak german, but one driver explained to me that 'uitvaart' means 'funeral'.

And of course - in case this hasnt been mentioned here: german 'Gute fahrt!' doesnt mean 'good fart!", it means 'good trip!'
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Maybe I wouldn't hear it if they didn't have a lose semantic connection:
Judeo- :eng: /biə/ "Sex; Coitus" :bgd: /bie/ "wedding"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

REFORMIRT

Auf doitsh wissen wir was 'mushi' bedoitet. In japanese, to say "halo" on the fone, thay say "mushi-mushi". Et en Romenia lis ofre "muschi de porc", esu non es un chate de porca: 'muschi' é la palabra pra músculo, y tamben pra bistec.

Saludus de Ter Apel, Nederland

ENGLISH

In german 'muschi' is the pussy. In japanse, to say "helo" on the fone, they say "mushi-mushi". And in Romania they offer "muschi de porc", thats not a pigs pussy: 'muschi' is the word for muscle, and also for steak.

Greetings from Ter Apel, Netherlands
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:eng: "Geisha" "Gay Show". Someone once told me he liked watching "Geishas" and I misheard him and responded "I didn't know you were gay. This seems a weird way to come out."
-JRR Tolkien
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Zé do Rock wrote: 03 Oct 2018 23:09 In japanse, to say "helo" on the fone, they say "mushi-mushi".
In Japanese, to say "hello" on the phone, they actually say もしもし moshi moshi. むしむし mushi mushi could be interpreted as "insect insect", among other things.

Although I'm sure you'd still be understood if you answered with むしむし.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

shimobaatar wrote: 04 Oct 2018 02:39Although I'm sure you'd still be understood if you answered with むしむし.
Unless you were calling an Entomologist
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

All4Ɇn wrote: 04 Oct 2018 07:51
shimobaatar wrote: 04 Oct 2018 02:39Although I'm sure you'd still be understood if you answered with むしむし.
Unless you were calling an Entomologist
[+1]
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

shimobaatar wrote: 04 Oct 2018 02:39
Zé do Rock wrote: 03 Oct 2018 23:09 In japanse, to say "helo" on the fone, they say "mushi-mushi".
In Japanese, to say "hello" on the phone, they actually say もしもし moshi moshi. むしむし mushi mushi could be interpreted as "insect insect", among other things.

Although I'm sure you'd still be understood if you answered with むしむし.
PROGRESAL EUROPAN

Oh pardon. Some german told mi dat it was mushi-mushi, e wen mi was in Japan, dat was wat mi herd na fone, mi supone cose mi was expecting it, so mai cerebro tolco "corected" wat main ores herd. Mi shal corige dat in un otre stori ki mi ha fa. Merci pro sei mi lo.

ENGLISH

Oh sorry. Some german told me that it was mushi-mushi, and when i was in Japan, that was what i heard on the fone, i suppose because i was expecting it, so my brain just "corrected" what my ears had heard. I have to correct it somewhere else. Thanks for telling me.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

No worries! They do sound pretty similar.
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

REFORMD

'Pusi' in shqiperiano meens 'wel'. E la palavra pro pussy in suomian is 'häpy'.

Saludus de Waimes, Belgie, onde lis no sa si lis deve falar francian o deutsh.

ENGLISH

'Pusi' in albanian means 'well'. And the word for pussy in finnish is 'häpy'.

Greetings from Waimes, Belgium, where they dont know whether they should speak french or german
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Two examples of false friends between Standard German and Namibian German:

:nam: jdn. anbellen - to give someone a phone call
:deu: jdn. anbellen - to bark at someone

:nam: aussortieren - to sort something out [regard the English influence here]
:deu: aussortieren - to cull
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.