Symbols of Concultures

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: Flägs & vexillology!

Post by eldin raigmore »

I for one very much like Sajem Tan’s flag!

What is the name of the honeycomb-like charge in the murry field near the hoist?
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Your conworld includes a cult that worships axolotls?
If I met them, I'd fly this as a flag:
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by shanoxilt »

Shemtov wrote: 25 Jul 2018 07:54
Your conworld includes a cult that worships axolotls?
If I met them, I'd fly this as a flag:
Yes. [:D]
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by shanoxilt »

eldin raigmore wrote: 24 Jul 2018 08:38 I for one very much like Sajem Tan’s flag!
Thank you muchly.
What is the name of the honeycomb-like charge in the murry field near the hoist?
It is just a seal with varying interpretations. It could represent the convergence of the animacies, or the nine original founders, or the complexity of the culture. What does it bring to your mind?
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

shanoxilt wrote: 30 Jul 2018 06:47It is just a seal with varying interpretations. It could represent the convergence of the animacies, or the nine original founders, or the complexity of the culture. What does it bring to your mind?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

shanoxilt wrote: 30 Jul 2018 06:47
eldin raigmore wrote: 24 Jul 2018 08:38 What is the name of the honeycomb-like charge in the murry field near the hoist?
It is just a seal with varying interpretations. It could represent the convergence of the animacies, or the nine original founders, or the complexity of the culture. What does it bring to your mind?
A honeycomb, first and most obviously!
Then maybe face-centered cubic close-packing. (Not Q-Bert clothes-packing, @LaoKou!)

Given the mulberry-coloured field it’s on, I suppose sericulture.
Maybe your conworld’s silk is made by bees instead of moths?
Or maybe their silk moths live in hives?

After that I suppose it’s just how geometric art can be, and how artistic geometry can be!
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Symbols of Concultures

Post by Shemtov »

War Banner of the nĆaulaosz Allied Warriors:
The Red symbolizes that if necessary, they are ready to spill blood, and the color is in general, meant to b intimidating. The Black symbolizes their grief over their exile by the M'aillysites, and their grief over any blood spilled on their side. The letter is their grapheme for Ć, the first letter of the Ćaulaosz People (The form nĆaulaosz is genitive, and is also the name of their language).
Every Cohort has twelve Standard Bearers, who are cavalry soldiers with a long spear in the right hand, and the banner-pole in the Left.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

This is the flag of Essu Beti, currently spoilered because I’m not sure how to resize it in-forum:
Spoiler:
The colors are very basic and have little symbolism. White because that’s the color cotton or wool comes in, and blue because the most common dye-producing plant on the island makes blue. Elves (which form 70% of the population of Essu Beti) are red-green colorblind- they don’t really do color symbolism.

The 10-pointed 12-pointed star (which I need a better name for) is the symbol of the Beuwan religion, and I already have a neat little poorly drawn infographic for it and some variations, and for the symbols and variations of its sibling religions, Bheidor and Prexsivna. The symbol of Vekline is also there, mostly for an out-of-religion-family contrast.
Spoiler:
Essu Beti is, as you can probably guess, mostly Beuwani. It’s also very, very new. Like, the country is around 3 years old (the island existed before then, of course, but was uninhabited because of all the crocodiles and mosquitoes and the lack of natural resources). So there is a definite chance that this flag may change in the future, especially since there’s an ongoing push to NOT exclude minority religions like their former country did to them, and having their flag symbol be for exactly one religion is pretty exclusionary.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

I love the variants! It's clear how they're related or derived from each other, while still being quite distinct.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Firebird766 wrote: 12 Jan 2019 20:52 This is the flag of Essu Beti, currently spoilered because I’m not sure how to resize it in-forum:
There isn't a way. [:(] The spoiler tags are entirely appropriate.
Firebird766 wrote:The 10-pointed 12-pointed star (which I need a better name for)
Perhaps Latin dextans "ten twelfths" or a nonce derivative is what you're looking for.

I quite like the flag; an interesting balance of simple and complex features.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The symbol of the Kätänä-tö-Ki Mutai is, in order from left to right, a blue line drawing of a hand with fingers pointed up, a red line drawing of a sword, and a blue line drawing of a hand with fingers pointed down. It is worn on their robes, and if an "Assembly Battle" is called for, a horseman carrying the symbol on a "war banner" with a white field and red fringes is placed with the vanguard.
-JRR Tolkien
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

The flag of the Empire of the Purple Sun:
Spoiler:
The ring signifies the sun, the three horizontal stripes signify the three polities that came together to form the empire, and the pall signifies the mountainous terrain that was first settled. Purple is a culturally-significant color; the gold was chosen mainly for contrast but also because the sun looks yellow.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

Would you say there is some avoidance of having a white field and/or border in a fantasy flag? I always struggle for a second to see the white third of Russia's flag when it's on a white webpage.
I Just realised now that that's (probably and partly) why those animated rippling flags were so popular in the 90s to mid 2000s.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

jimydog000 wrote: 22 Jun 2020 14:30 Would you say there is some avoidance of having a white field and/or border in a fantasy flag? I always struggle for a second to see the white third of Russia's flag when it's on a white webpage.
I Just realised now that that's (probably and partly) why those animated rippling flags were so popular in the 90s to mid 2000s.
I'm not aware of any specific colour avoidance. Do you have some examples in mind? But I'm also not aware of very many uses or particular descriptions of flags in fantasy. Outside of Tolkien.

Also, I'm pretty sure those were popular then because of advances in web & image technology: oo coooool! Rippley!
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Yeah, we just really, really, really loved little animated 3D things.

[laments loss of little strutting red dragon animated model gif...]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Salmoneus wrote: 23 Jun 2020 00:21 Yeah, we just really, really, really loved little animated 3D things.

[laments loss of little strutting red dragon animated model gif...]
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Which one looks better? Vermillian or Persian Red?
Vermillion:
Spoiler:
Persian Red:
Spoiler:
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Ahzoh wrote: 16 Mar 2021 02:40Which one looks better? Vermillian or Persian Red?
Vermilion. It stands out more to me.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I have asked a lot of people and it seems to two reds are pretty tied. Personally I don't like vermillion because it's too orange.

Although I do have to consider the ease of access for certain materials required to make the flag's pigments.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Snyexarosha
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Snyexarosha »

The vermillion does pop a little more, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. I think it just means that the two hues are closer to being perfect opposites on the color wheel, which in my opinion can hurt the eyes a little. If you look at the images in black and white, you can actually see that the vermillion is about the same shade as your teal, while the Persian red is noticeably darker. Having a variety of dark and light shades is generally a better design strategy, so I would suggest Persian red. (I wish I could upload the grayscale images I made to show you, but sadly I am not sure how to upload photos because I am inept...) Obviously, it's up to you and there is no right answer.