The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Ossicone »

Time for new, fun and nerdy conversations!
Sorry the old ones had to be destroyed for the greater good.
sangi39

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by sangi39 »

Ossicone wrote: 10 Aug 2019 19:05 Time for new, fun and nerdy conversations!

I honestly thought we kept the old Conversation threads around. The Fourth one is still around at least (and just noticed that actually lasted less than a year while the Fifth lasted over four years [:P] )
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

Glad I copied over that Romlang idea to my new scratchpad just before the server issues!

sangi39, I think that means we'll have to start conversating more rapidly, right?
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Clio wrote: 11 Aug 2019 23:20 Glad I copied over that Romlang idea to my new scratchpad just before the server issues!

sangi39, I think that means we'll have to start conversating more rapidly, right?
Well, if it hadn't taken me two days to reply [:P]
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Well, on the note of LARPy goodness, and a Dwarvish naming language, I decided to settle on <tvergaz> (tvergizza in the plural) as the word for "dwarf", or, specifically, "dwarf under the Mountain" (which I still have to name, lol*). On the one hand, it ends up really, really similar to Proto-Germanic *dwergaz, despite having word-final stress instead of word-initial stress (it gets even closer if you use the indefinite <í dvergaz>, and given that dwarves in this setting apparently live until they're 500 or so, often having their first child at 100, that puts Proto-Germanic around, what, 25 or so generations back, which would be roughly the same number of generations between Modern English now and Early Modern or Late Middle English, right?.

I also ended up sticking with it because of the underlying roots, /ta'wir/ and /kan'sa/, which (barring stress) seem pretty similar to the Kazakh word for "healthy" and the Finnish word for "nation" or "people" respectively, which nicely fits in with the "proper (acting) people" concept for the word.

My character's name would be <Tolva> (I told the person who invited me the Icelandic word for "computer" and they basically made it my name, lol), which I'm saying comes from the two roots /tulla/ meaning "blaze" and /waN/ meaning "wind", reflecting his membership amongst the Warrior Clan, represented by fire, and the Messenger Sept, represented by air. I wanted given names to act as indicators of a dwarf's origins as well, since my original plan was to have long names like "X, son of Y of Clan A, of Z of Sept B, but honestly, I feel like that's a) overdone, and b) ends up really long. Keeping it short, but having compound names be related to heritage means that references parent's name gives further information about background as well (since children belong to different septs to their fathers and different clans to their mothers).

*EDIT: Thinking of naming it <Valbad> from the roots /wal/ (great) and /haNta/ (mountain). No doubt in-world it'll end up with the tautological name "Mount Valbad" or "Valbad Mountain" when referred to by people from further afield.
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Almost reaching the grand old age of 13 years, I think His Holiness may now being dying...

He's very actively refusing to eat. Hand-feeding him the past year and a half, he would normally start shaking his head the moment he was full, so after around 5 or 6 locusts at a time. Now it's the moment I try to feed him. He's barely moving through the day. He will drink but it takes a while for him to start (using a plastic syringe). He barely opens his eyes any more (after months of suspecting he's blind, it's now abundantly clear that he is). And, the real kick, I can turn him over onto his back and he won't even respond to it, which considering that's meant to trigger a pretty aggressive response to turn over isn't the best sign.

He massively trolled me in November of 2017 by not eating, going to the vet, then eating everything he could and bouncing back. I just want him to bounce back again.

He's been following me round since January 2009. I don't want him to go.
Just one time.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Well, scitte.
Good thing the Wayback Machine exists, I think I left one or two ideas perish.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

sangi39 wrote: 17 Aug 2019 01:52 Almost reaching the grand old age of 13 years, I think His Holiness may now being dying...

His Holiness looks especially serene and wise in that photo. He reminds me of Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda.

Hope he can hold out just a while longer… [:S]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Egerius wrote: 22 Aug 2019 11:00
Well, scitte.
Uff! I second that scyttung!
[:(]
Egerius wrote:Good thing the Wayback Machine exists, I think I left one or two ideas perish.
[O.O]:idea: [+1]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

sangi39 wrote: 17 Aug 2019 01:52 Almost reaching the grand old age of 13 years, I think His Holiness may now being dying...
Spoiler:

He's very actively refusing to eat. Hand-feeding him the past year and a half, he would normally start shaking his head the moment he was full, so after around 5 or 6 locusts at a time. Now it's the moment I try to feed him. He's barely moving through the day. He will drink but it takes a while for him to start (using a plastic syringe). He barely opens his eyes any more (after months of suspecting he's blind, it's now abundantly clear that he is). And, the real kick, I can turn him over onto his back and he won't even respond to it, which considering that's meant to trigger a pretty aggressive response to turn over isn't the best sign.

He massively trolled me in November of 2017 by not eating, going to the vet, then eating everything he could and bouncing back. I just want him to bounce back again.

I'm very sorry to hear that, and I'll be hoping for the best.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shimobaatar wrote: 25 Aug 2019 00:33 I'm very sorry to hear that, and I'll be hoping for the best.
Seconded.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Lambuzhao wrote: 22 Aug 2019 15:22 His Holiness looks especially serene and wise in that photo. He reminds me of Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda.

Hope he can hold out just a while longer… [:S]
shimobaatar wrote: 25 Aug 2019 00:33 I'm very sorry to hear that, and I'll be hoping for the best.
Khemehekis wrote: 30 Aug 2019 03:29
Seconded.
Thanks you lot. He's somehow managing to hang in there, just, he's still looking exceedingly tired, though. Getting him to eat has become somewhat less of a hassle, but he's still losing weight overall.

I'm seriously considering a trip to the vet again next week, possibly see about... helping him along...
Just one time.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

To cheer everyone up: Here is a conlang-comedy video.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Creyeditor wrote: 07 Sep 2019 19:07 To cheer everyone up: Here is a conlang-comedy video.
I was wondering how long it would take for that to make it over here [:P]
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

On September 8, 2019, at 10:45 p.m., I turned 40. (There were a number of anomalies surrounding my birth: For one, I was born in the p.m. instead of the a.m. Also, I was born sunny-side-up. And I had a single-artery umbilical cord.)

The last Kankonian word I created, a minute before 10:45 p.m., was radadeger, the Kankonian word for Suffixaufnahme. It's made up of Ciladian roots, radad being the word for multiple, and eger being the word for row (as opposed to column), and, by extension, (grammatical) case.

As a young person, I created 60,137 Kankonian words. May I create 60,137 more as a middle-aged person!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by shanoxilt »

Hey, everyone.

I'm in the process of withdrawing from the internet, so I'll be deleting this account. If anyone needs me they can contact me via my e-mail address listed on my profile.
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

shanoxilt wrote: 16 Sep 2019 05:14 Hey, everyone.

I'm in the process of withdrawing from the internet, so I'll be deleting this account. If anyone needs me they can contact me via my e-mail address listed on my profile.
Oh, shit! That’s too bad! I’ll certainly miss your contributions; and I doubt I’m the only one!
But, good luck and good health, and satisfaction and fun, to you in whatever you’re doing instead!
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by shanoxilt »

eldin raigmore wrote: 17 Sep 2019 01:33 Oh, shit! That’s too bad! I’ll certainly miss your contributions; and I doubt I’m the only one!
But, good luck and good health, and satisfaction and fun, to you in whatever you’re doing instead!
It is good to know that I'll be missed. As I said, I'll still be reachable via e-mail until some time next year. I'm trying to keep in contact with all my glossopoeist friends, especially the Sajem Tannites and the auxiliary language community.
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Lao Kou's totally kewl new word for him for today (so I was at Lowe's today where everything seems to be bilingual and stumbled upon this):

albañilería - masonry

such great mouth-feel, like a caramel mousse (or like buttah). [:)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

shanoxilt wrote: 17 Sep 2019 05:01 It is good to know that I'll be missed.
Sometimes, when someone says they’ll miss me, I think of asking them to consider not shooting at me in the first place.

[;)]