Other Creativity

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Other Creativity

Post by elemtilas »

vampireshark wrote: 22 May 2019 14:33 Interestingly (to me, because MONEY), this an attested denomination structure in several currencies (eg. the Cuban peso convertible, the Tajikistani somoni, and the Bahamian dollar). Not sure why exactly, but there is/was real-world inspiration.
The US dollar as well: we had 3c and $3 coins at one time (along with 2c and $2.50 coins). It's quite possible the US had those denominations to facilitate the purchase of postage stamps whose rate at the time was 3c.

Bahamas's $3 note seems to have come about around the time of independence and decimalisation, the exchange rate being approximately $3 to the pound.

Russia and later the USSR also had 3 kopek & 3 ruble denominations.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Sort of in the same geographic area, but for completely different reasons, looked for some tategaki (vertical script) natlang road signs.

Found this on Deviantart:

https://www.deviantart.com/kyuzoaoi/art ... -632998090

[<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3]

I am a sucker for that Manchu/Old Mongolian script! [:P]

OMG, then I google image-searched "Mongolian Calligraphy"

[O.O] :!:
Have you ever‽‽⸮

I could just plotz!!!

PS:

Is there or isn't there, a Greekish-Romish root equivalent for tategaki, à la boustrophedon?
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

elemtilas wrote: 22 May 2019 17:31
vampireshark wrote: 22 May 2019 14:33 Interestingly (to me, because MONEY), this an attested denomination structure in several currencies (eg. the Cuban peso convertible, the Tajikistani somoni, and the Bahamian dollar). Not sure why exactly, but there is/was real-world inspiration.
The US dollar as well: we had 3c and $3 coins at one time (along with 2c and $2.50 coins). It's quite possible the US had those denominations to facilitate the purchase of postage stamps whose rate at the time was 3c.

Bahamas's $3 note seems to have come about around the time of independence and decimalisation, the exchange rate being approximately $3 to the pound.

IIRC, here in the UK we also had 3 pence coins, 4 pence coins and 6 pence coins, but no 5 pence coins. This, though was the result of the pre-decimal pound being divided into 20 shillings with a value of 12 pence each, or 240 pence in total, so while 5 is a divisor of 240 (1/48th), it isn't a divisor of 12, so it wasn't a natural denomination for the shilling. The 5 pence coin was introduced in the run-up to decimalisation, though, since at 1/20th of 1 pound it was due to take over for the shilling. After that, we scrapped the 3 pence, 4 pence and 6 pence coins, since they weren't there as a divisor of anything any more (as well the crown, half-crown, and florin for similar reasons (they would have been 25p, 12.5p and 6.25p in the new system, although apparently 25p coins have been minted since decimalisation, but not meant for circulation), while the 10 shilling note was swapped out for the 50p coin.

I assume the 2p coin was kept, and by extension the 20p coin was made, for mathsy reasons (maybe something like the fewest number of coins of different denominations needed to make up the various values less than £1?)

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing how many decimal currencies use things like a 3/100th or 30/100th denomination of its unit currency, and whether there's a reason behind that other than that's the system they adopted under influence of some other culture.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Haven't had much of a chance to do much with this project, but tore down two of the larger structures, and filling in the gaps:

The large temple structure that was in the bottom-right has been taken out and I'm planning on making the entire "southern" bailey (I say "southern", I think that's actually to the west, but oh well) more of a militarised centre, with a two military hospitals (there's the beginnings of one in the updated map, which, I think, has about 170 beds in it), and then a fairly large training ground to the eastern end of the bailey where larger manoeuvres can be practices, as well as horse-riding, long-distance archery, etc.

The church building that was in the northern half of the central bailey has also come down now, replacing it instead with a sort of "administrative district", with a building in the north-western corner where the monarch and the head of the eight noble families, as well as, I suppose, elected representatives (I think it was 14) can meet, another building in the north-eastern corner which would be a centre for taxation and distribution of resources for the city as a whole (dealing with how much has been brought into the city, how much each household will get depending on status, needs and any future storage for winter months, etc.), and then I'd think the regions to the south of those structures would be, say, a public forum and a central market area respectively.

I've also formalised the military sections, with each "squad" building housing 10 soldiers and 2 servants/slaves, each squad then has access to a bath house and mess hall, as well as their own blacksmith (which includes accommodation for the blacksmith and a servant/slave/apprentice of their own who helps them with work, cleaning, cooking, etc.), store houses, and stables. The small garrison in the southern section of the central bailey, while still containing enough space for a squad, only includes space for a bath house, mess room and stables, and I'm thinking that's because this wouldn't actually be a typical "squad", but sort of a combined mish-mash made up of various military leadership ranks within the city, assembled during "state events".

That does mean, though, that I need to move the city's main religious centre, but I might go for something smaller and then have a lot of smaller chapels spread out across the city.
Just one time.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

More of a hands on project. I'm making little bottle charms. Hoping to sell them online but I need to look into stuff like Etsy a bit more.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

LinguistCat wrote: 08 Jun 2019 02:54 Image

More of a hands on project. I'm making little bottle charms. Hoping to sell them online but I need to look into stuff like Etsy a bit more.
Nifty!

What kinds of things will you put in the bottles?
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

elemtilas wrote: 08 Jun 2019 05:00
LinguistCat wrote: 08 Jun 2019 02:54 Image

Nifty!

What kinds of things will you put in the bottles?
Mostly small pieces of gemstones since I don't need to preserve them in any way and, if I don't know what they're supposed to "represent", I can find out easily. Anything like plants are harder. The resin should keep them from degrading somewhat, but I'd have to test it to be sure and I wouldn't be happy if they easily got stuck in ways I couldn't fix.
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

sangi39 wrote: 07 Jun 2019 18:04
elemtilas wrote: 22 May 2019 17:31

IIRC, here in the UK we also had 3 pence coins, 4 pence coins and 6 pence coins, but no 5 pence coins. This, though was the result of the pre-decimal pound being divided into 20 shillings with a value of 12 pence each, or 240 pence in total, so while 5 is a divisor of 240 (1/48th), it isn't a divisor of 12, so it wasn't a natural denomination for the shilling. The 5 pence coin was introduced in the run-up to decimalisation, though, since at 1/20th of 1 pound it was due to take over for the shilling. After that, we scrapped the 3 pence, 4 pence and 6 pence coins, since they weren't there as a divisor of anything any more (as well the crown, half-crown, and florin for similar reasons (they would have been 25p, 12.5p and 6.25p in the new system, although apparently 25p coins have been minted since decimalisation, but not meant for circulation), while the 10 shilling note was swapped out for the 50p coin.

I assume the 2p coin was kept, and by extension the 20p coin was made, for mathsy reasons (maybe something like the fewest number of coins of different denominations needed to make up the various values less than £1?)

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing how many decimal currencies use things like a 3/100th or 30/100th denomination of its unit currency, and whether there's a reason behind that other than that's the system they adopted under influence of some other culture.
Well, the UK still does have 3- and 4-pence coins (though as semi-commemorative Maundy money), but that's a legacy of pre-decimalization. Actually, pre-decimal, the UK didn't commonly use 2d coins: the structure went 1d, 3d, and 6d before going into shillings. There are, indeed, 25 pence coins that are commemoratives, like pre-decimal crowns, but they fell into disfavor in the 90s and got replaced by £5 coins as the Crown denomination. Also, florin and shilling coins were valid as 10p and 5p, respectively, until the resizing in the 90s (and 6d coins until the mid-eighties with the withdrawal of the decimal halfpenny).
Spoiler:
Maundy Money, because money.Image
Upon decimalization, the UK used 0.5p, 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, and 50p coins, with 20p coins introduced in the 80's. (Part of why I had a lot of them dated from '82!)

Indeed, the 3-cent coins in the US were for postage, though those denominations fell out of use long ago. Russia and the USSR... probably a legacy of pre-decimalization, and, indeed, the Bahamas' $3 was roughly equal to £1 upon decimalization (which is why the Bahamas also uses a 15 cent coin, since that was roughly equal to a shilling).
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Two things. Not mine, but very inspiring [:D]

First: Twitterer Monarobot made a gorgeous mayan glyph for the King of Kaiju:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1135167495571218432

Wow! I [<3] this :!:
Last edited by Lambuzhao on 13 Jun 2019 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

I don't recall if I posted this somewhere already.
I was looking for STOP signs that have vertical text.
I found this:
https://www.deviantart.com/kyuzoaoi/art ... -632998090

Just singular and beautiful!
[:O]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Good Lord! This Monarobot has even done up Bulba/Venusaur in Mayan style:
https://twitter.com/monarobot/status/10 ... 9689057281

Is there anything this Monarobot cannot do?!
[O.o]

{scrolls down, finds Mayan version of Aku from Samurai Jack}

[<3] [>_<] [<3]
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

The summary song for my 3rd album, which has bits and pieces of all songs from the album to form 1 cohesive but simple track: Deep Exploration (Genre: Soundtrack)

Youtube: Deep Exploration
Soundcloud: Deep Exploration
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Zekoslav
sinic
sinic

Post by Zekoslav »

Here's a map of that world I asked climate questions about recently, made with the help of GPlates, Print Screen and Paint:

It has four continents:

Australia, a Gondwana-sized supercontinent in the Southern Hemisphere

Borealia, a North America-sized continent in the Northern Hemisphere

Aridia, an (Earth's) Australia-sized continent which I hope really will turn out to be arid (the southeast might end up humid subtropical)

Humidia, a Europe-sized continent which I hope really will turn out to be humid (the north might end up mediterranean)

As it turns out this world has quite a lot of areas which could have a mediterranean-style semi-arid coastal climate...
Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who occasionally frequents the CBB.

- Guide to Slavic accentuation
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

This took much longer than expected:

And that's just one section of the interior walkway.

I've had a slight redesign of the layout of the settlement, and effectively taken out everything that just seemed like a cobbled together mess.

The walls are now of uniform height, such that the bailey walls (and exterior wall), and the walkway walls are now all 12 blocks high. I found that while a 5 block tall walkway wall was reasonably tall, it didn't really seem as imposing as I was hoping, so I raised them up. The added side-effect being that building within the baileys can now be taller without peaking above the walls, which was a problem when designing the noble residences.

The walkway is now lined with a sort of internal "moat", and I've stripped away the military lodgings that were dotted around the place. The intent being that they'll be backed up against the walls or around the towers/guardhouses that are dotted along the walls (the ones along the walkway also serve as entrances to the baileys, meaning that to get from one area to the next you have to go through at least one gatehouse, and to get to the main castle you need to, at the moment, go through thirteen, although that might go up to fifteen by the end of the week).

I'm annoyingly tempted to rip out the noble residences as well and start them again [:P] I like the layout, but the... palette doesn't fit, and now that I can add a few more blocks to the height, I sort of want to add an extra floor to them.

Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I cheated and shoved the beds for the guards inside the interior bailey walls [:P]

This still means these particular walls are still 5 blocks thick on each side (rather than a solid mass 21 blocks wide), gives me more room to work with inside the baileys themselves, and means that to access the various gatehouses and their towers you have to actually have to make it inside a bailey.

I don't really want to do this with the exterior walls if I can get away with it. I need to figure out the exact number of soldiers I'd reasonably need to fully man the walls, but so far I think the walls in total have a combined length of around 20,000 blocks... I may give this some more thought.
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today, I drew an Evangelisti Chart.

♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I launched my new Tumblr youth rights blog, Aaliyah Would Be Proud.

https://savegraduation.tumblr.com
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

"Risperidone"
by James Landau (C) 2019

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
You chew a cactus like jam
Your mind starts to coast
An overdose
Like taking twenty milligrams
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
You look over the horizon
And feast your eyes on one cougar
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

ADDITIONAL VERSES
Spoiler:
You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on four coyotes
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on nine jaguars
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on sixteen cattle
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on twenty-five iguanas
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on thirty-six Gila monsters
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on forty-nine rattlesnakes
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on sixty-four llamas
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on eighty-one vultures
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on a hundred scorpions
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on a hundred and twenty-one armadillos
Oh, I hear you
I hear you

You've had a long hike
Your interest spiked
An overdose
Of risperidone
When you're all alone
In the heat zone
All sand and stone
With your mind blown
And your brain grown
And feast your eyes on a hundred and forty-four hummingbirds
Oh, I hear you
I hear you
♂♥♂♀

vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

Have been doing a bit of new stuff as of late. Some difficulties with sharing (there's now a cap on image size...?), so this would be slightly larger than you see on your screen (but, in your wallet, the same size as a typical credit card).
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
Zekoslav
sinic
sinic

Post by Zekoslav »

Can anyone guess which scale this is supposed to play? [;)]

Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who occasionally frequents the CBB.

- Guide to Slavic accentuation