Damta: A collaborative world

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Any interest in starting a collaborative project?

Post by Khemehekis »

Nachtuil wrote: 25 Sep 2019 05:19 I meant [tsabo] from "Dza'spar" due to phonotactics but once I get the diachronic sound changes settled I'll know for sure. I love the idea of the Goddess "Premreu" and maybe will need to have a cognate derived from that having to do something with motherhood or wives or something. I just realised that [tʃabaw] / [tʃabao] would also be realised as [tsabo] in the modern language hahaha. That or [tʃijabo]
Frankly, I wasn't even sure whether you were deriving [tsabo] from "Txabao" or "Dza'spar"! And maybe the cognate of Premreu could mean "breast" in a few of the languages.
Khemehekis wrote: 25 Sep 2019 04:30 How about a river civilization in the desert, similar to the Egyptians! They could even speak a language descended from Txabao! From Txabao who settled there?
A river civilization would be cool. Maybe the oasis city was on the periphery of the main river or the river source was the oasis/spring itself?
Maybe. Perhaps it could go Txabao -> Proto-Riverbranch -> River People Language, similar to Proto-Afro-Asiatic -> Proto-Hamitic -> Egyptian.
It wasn't my intention but I'm not against the two languages belonging to the same language family though I'll need to think about it. It is an appealing prospect in a number of ways. One of the things I've been thinking about is that the Kojikeng at an earlier stage had aspirated stops. Perhaps the aspirated stop series could have come from ejectives which came from your pharyngealized stops or those stops and the aspirated stops of my language came from a language with ejectives. Of course, this is entirely not necessary too. Hahaha. If I derive from the inventory you've presented I could see the pharyngealized series having become ejectives through some process of fortition.

Conveniently some of the grammatical features are shared between our languages in terms of word order. I had suggested earlier Kojikeng was more inflected but experienced a heavy reduction and simplification of its inflection (and its phonotactics).
::mind totally blown::

Now, THAT would be something! We could even work on wordlists and sound changes together to "sync" our languages if they turn out to be compatible and we really want to make them related. I see you can already make Janko happy, so the numbers in the languages in such a phylum may already be chosen. As such, I'll hold out on creating Txabao numbers until we finalize our decision on whether to make Txabao and Kojikeng relatives.

So far, the biggest drawback I can think of is that we're going to want a lot of language phyla on Damta. On Earth, for instance, we have Indo-European, and Afro-Asiatic, and Uralic, and Altaic, and Sino-Tibetan, and Dravidian, and Caucasian, and Austro-Asiatic, and Austronesian, and Tai-Kadai, and Hmong-Mien, and Nilo-Saharan, and Niger-Congo, and Khoisan, and Na-Dené, and Amerindian, and Uto-Aztecan, and Mayan, and Quechuan, and Aymaran, and Tupian, and Eskimo-Aleut . . . even isolates like Basque and Zuñi. And the phyla I've mentioned still don't cover all the non-isolate languages! If Kojikeng and Txabao are related, we'll have one fewer phylum started already. But maybe we can get more people joining, or people who are already participating will add additional proto-languages and their associated phyla.

Has anyone tried to reach MirandaBrawner lately? She could draw participants in from another forum.

Also: I think the Gwapikiru language created as a Beispiel language in this post would make for a great present-day rain-forest language. What kind of proto-language phonology could ultimately evolve into something like that?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

let's set the physical parameters for the planet, the moon and the star the same as the Earth, the Moon and the Sun of our world, so that we would not consider how physical conditions would affect the general climate and biological evolution, is it ok?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

k1234567890y wrote: 25 Sep 2019 12:33 let's set the physical parameters for the planet, the moon and the star the same as the Earth, the Moon and the Sun of our world, so that we would not consider how physical conditions would affect the general climate and biological evolution, is it ok?
I would second that!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

All the astronomy stats the same as Earth? Sounds good.

We'll even have re-created Billy Meier's Erra!
♂♥♂♀

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I think the planet would be well out of the range of the observable universe of our world though
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Khemehekis wrote: 26 Sep 2019 08:50 We'll even have re-created Billy Meier's Erra!
Is that site fiction or crackpot-ism?

=====
k1234567890y wrote: 26 Sep 2019 14:59 I think the planet would be well out of the range of the observable universe of our world though
You mean further away than 15,000,000,000 light-years? (Or IOW age-of-universe times speed-of-light?)
Why?

I think anywhere extra-galactic would be far enough. There have been no corroborated reports of any exoplanets outside the Milky Way, have there been?
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 26 Sep 2019 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 26 Sep 2019 16:53
Khemehekis wrote: 26 Sep 2019 08:50 We'll even have re-created Billy Meier's Erra!
Is that site fiction or crackpot-ism?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Meier

I'd say "crackpot-ism" isn't quite the right word. More like "hoax".

Aside from the fact that Erra is just too much like Earth to be a coincidence, Meier's photos of UFO's have most likely been staged. Also, his photo of "Semjase" has been proven to be cut out of a fashion magazine.
♂♥♂♀

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I've just been thinking a lot of how to derive the modern phonology from the ancient Txabao. The easier solution would of course be to just keep them as separate language families that for at least a time were in fairly close proximity so that lots of sharing and some areal effects occurring between the two. However I still think it would be satisfying in its own right to have them be relatives so it is very worth exploring and interesting to me. I want to produce a series of different stages of the phonology at the least.

I definitely try to keep Janko in mind when I make languages now and try to put determine some numbers early haha. I have not heard from him in a while though so I wonder if he is still doing it or not.

I don't know that a second small moon further out would have a noticeable impact on life but I am more than happy to go with the majority and leave it be.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Khemehekis wrote: 25 Sep 2019 02:47
Would 8000 PS or 7500 PS be an acceptable compromise? I think I could convincingly place the oldest language in its phylum "crown group" that far back.
Forgot to reply to this, shall we go with 8000 PS then? [:)]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

You mean further away than 15,000,000,000 light-years? (Or IOW age-of-universe times speed-of-light?)
Why?
yes, and I feel better to make it out of the observable universe of our world so we could have the biggest freedom to do whatever we want under the (basically) same physical and chemical constraints
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7062

Could this be a proto-language for this project for an unknown family?
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 28 Sep 2019 18:26 viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7062

Yeah I definitely think so! :) I like the sound system!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

ɶʙ ɞʛ wrote: 28 Sep 2019 18:26 viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7062

Definitely! We should use that!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

brblues wrote: 27 Sep 2019 14:43
Khemehekis wrote: 25 Sep 2019 02:47
Would 8000 PS or 7500 PS be an acceptable compromise? I think I could convincingly place the oldest language in its phylum "crown group" that far back.
Forgot to reply to this, shall we go with 8000 PS then? [:)]
Yes. [B)]
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote: 28 Sep 2019 07:43
Why?
yes, and I feel better to make it out of the observable universe of our world so we could have the biggest freedom to do whatever we want under the (basically) same physical and chemical constraints
Wouldn't more than 15 billion light-years mean it's in the future?
♂♥♂♀

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Sep 2019 10:46 Wouldn't more than 15 billion light-years mean it's in the future?
I think it would just mean that it would take 15 billion light years for light to reach where we are given the current age and size of the universe. The observable universe has a current diameter of 46 billion light years but the big bang is estimated to have occured 14 billion years ago. This discrepancy is due to space expanding so light appears to travel slower relative to any given object. So lets say that our solar system and the Damata (darn I think I got the name wrong - it would be nice if we could get a mod to rename our thread actually) solar system have the exact same velocity and trajectory. 10 billion years ago light would travel faster from one to the other than the current time and from the current time would travel faster than in another 10 billion years from now. I probably butchered the explanation in several ways due to my own limited knowledge on the subject.

I'm quite content to believe that Damata is subject to identical physical and chemical laws to Earth and that no interaction between the two may occur. Whether they may in separate parts of the same universe, say beyond the edge of the observable universe, or different universes it's all good to me.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

So I've been fairly quiet as I've been quite busy, but will hopefully be more active again. Currently working on some con-history, but nothing to really put out there yet.

At least I already snatched a word from a collaborator here - /'nedu/ from the Txabao camel goddess "Neidu", and I will use /ne'duki/ = "camel-people" as my exonym for the Txabao people, although possibly only for that offshoot coming to my area, where I will fight those in wars. I have used PS8,000 as starting date for this contact.

In the end, I thought my people could get domesticated camels through that cultural exchange, and some Txabao (some are bound to return back to the homeland, especially if there's devastating wars), the wheel that my people invented.

Would it be plausible for the main big fauna in the savannah to be the previously mentioned hadrosaurids/duck-billed dinosaurs; if so, they could have served as main prey species for my hunter-gatherers, but once camels and the idea of domestication were introduced, attempts at domesticating them could be made.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

No problem for being quiet for a while. I suffer the same afflictions on my spare time. haha

I love the idea of duck billed animals being either domesticated for food or as mounts so I'll offer no objections. I think the idea was in the south these animals would fill this role eventually and in the north other mammals. I forget off hand if we agreed to ridable elf or not. I'm not sure anymore if we have horses but camels obviously :D

I have been waiting on a computer component but have not forgotten about the map.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

brblues wrote: 29 Sep 2019 20:52 So I've been fairly quiet as I've been quite busy, but will hopefully be more active again. Currently working on some con-history, but nothing to really put out there yet.

At least I already snatched a word from a collaborator here - /'nedu/ from the Txabao camel goddess "Neidu", and I will use /ne'duki/ = "camel-people" as my exonym for the Txabao people, although possibly only for that offshoot coming to my area, where I will fight those in wars. I have used PS8,000 as starting date for this contact.

In the end, I thought my people could get domesticated camels through that cultural exchange, and some Txabao (some are bound to return back to the homeland, especially if there's devastating wars), the wheel that my people invented.

Would it be plausible for the main big fauna in the savannah to be the previously mentioned hadrosaurids/duck-billed dinosaurs; if so, they could have served as main prey species for my hunter-gatherers, but once camels and the idea of domestication were introduced, attempts at domesticating them could be made.
I like this idea. The Txabao descendants who live in the chaparral will probably ride the hadrosaurids, now that they've gotten out of the desert and settled. And I like the idea the Txabao descendants who war with your BLSL-speaking people being called /ne'duki/.

As for Nachtuil, I believe you mean "elk", not "elf". We're not writing Tolkien, are we? [B)]
♂♥♂♀

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Khemehekis wrote: 30 Sep 2019 05:28 As for Nachtuil, I believe you mean "elk", not "elf". We're not writing Tolkien, are we? [B)]
Yeah... hahah. We are not making ~that~ kind of conworld. :p

I've taken a first attempt at deriving a phonoloy to get to Kojikeng but I'll likely change it.
Spoiler:
Stage 1:
Inventory:
/m n /
/p t ts tˤ tʃ ʔ/
/b d dz dˤ g/
/s sˤ ʃ x ħ/
/z zˤ/
/ɾ/

/i e a o u/
/ei̯ eu̯ o̯i ou̯ au̯ ai̯ ao̯ ae̯/

C(C)V(C)
/n/ becomes [ɴ] at before /ʔ/ or /ħ/, and [ŋ] before /k/, /g/, or /x/.
/b/, /d/ and /g/ become [β], [ð], and [ɣ] respectively intervocalically.
/dˤ/ becomes [ðˤ] intervocalically.
/ħ/ becomes [ç] before /i/.
/a/ becomes [ɐ] when unstressed.

Txabao has a stress accent system. The primary stress falls on the penult if the word ends in a single vowel, and on the final syllable if the word ends in a consonant or diphthong.

C(N)V(M)
C: any consonant
N: ɾ s ʃ
M: any consonant but emphatic or pharyngeal
Clusters:
/pɾ tɾ kɾ bɾ dɾ gɾ/
/sɾ xɾ ʃɾ zɾ/
/tsɾ tʃɾ dzɾ/
/ps ks/
/pʃ kʃ/
/psˤ ksˤ/
/xs xʃ xsˤ/
/sp st sk/
/sx/

Stage 2:

/b d g/ -> /β ð ɣ/ / V_V
/ps ks/ ->/s/
/pʃ kʃ/-> /ʃ/
/psˤ ksˤ/ -> /sˤ/
/xs xʃ xsˤ/ /s ʃ sˤ/
/sp st sk/-> /p t k/
/sx/ -> /x/
[β ð ɣ] -> /β ð ɣ/ ( ðˤ remains allophone of dˤ)
/x ħ/ -> /x/ (ç remains allophone)
voiced obstruent -> unvoiced obstruent / word finally
Voiceless obstruents -> voiced obstruent / _ [nasal stop]
Word stress travels to first long vowel in a word, otherwise stays the same.
/ʔ/ -> [∅] / _#

/ei̯ eu̯/ -> /e:/
/o̯i/ ->/i:/
/ou̯ ao̯ au̯/ ->/o:/
/ai̯ ae̯/ -> /a:/
/o a/ -> /a/

Inventory:
/m n /
/p t ts tˤ tʃ ʔ/
/b d dˤ g/
/s sˤ ʃ x ħ/
/z zˤ/
/ɾ/
/i u e a/
/i: e: a: o: u:/

C(C)V
Permissible clusters:
/pɾ tɾ tsɾ tʃɾ kɾ/
/bɾ dɾ dzɾ gɾ/

Stage 3:

/p t ts tʃ k/ -> [pʰ tʰ tsʰ tʃʰ kʰ] / _#
/pɾ tɾ tsɾ tʃɾ kɾ/ -> [pʰ tʰ tsʰ tʃʰ kʰ]
/sɾ xɾ ʃɾ zɾ/ -> /ʃ /
/bɾ dɾ dzɾ gɾ/ -> /r r r R/
/ð ðˤ/ -> /z zˤ/
/ɾ/ -> /l/
/β/ -> /w/
/ɣ/ -> [j] / _[i i: e e:]
/ɣ/ -> [w] / [a a: o o:]
[ç] -> /ʃ/
/x/ -> /h/

Fricatives in clusters where they precede stops become [h]
Word final oral stops and affricates become fricatives of the same place of articulation.
Fricatives become [h] when word finally.
Oral stops in clusters with nasal stops are deleted.

/u/ -> /i/
/i/ -> /e/
/e/ -> /a/
/a/ -> /o/

Inventory:
/m n ŋ/
/pʰ tʰ tsʰ tʃʰ kʰ/
/p t ts tʃ k ʔ/
/b d dz g/
/ɸ s ʃ x h/
/ð z/
/r R/
/w l j/

/i e a o/
/i: e: a: o:/

(C)V(N)

Stage 4:

/ts tʃ/ -> /ts/
/tsʰ tʃʰ/ -> /tsʰ/
/s ʃ/ -> /s/
/ð z/ -> /z/
V -> V̰ / _ Cˤ (vowels before or after pharyngealized vowels become creaky)
V -> V̰ / Cˤ_
/tˤ dˤ sˤ zˤ ðˤ/ -> /t d s z ð/
V -> V̰ / _[ʔ]
/h/ word initially deleted.
V -> V̤ / _h (vowels become breathy before h)
/h ʔ/ word finally deleted.
All vowels are allophonically nasalised when preceding or following a glottal stop or h.
/p t ts k/ -> /pʰ tʰ tsʰ kʰ/ / _#
Plain voiced and voiceless stops merge into plain stops in all other circumstances.
/ʔ h/ -> [ʔ]

Inventory:
/m n ŋ/
/pʰ tʰ tsʰ tʃʰ kʰ/
/p t ts tʃ k ʔ/
/b d dz g/
/ɸ s ʃ x h/
/ð z/
/r R/
/w l j/

/i e a o /
/i̤ e̤ a̤ o̤ /
/ḭ ḛ a̰ o̰ /
/i: e: a: o: /
/i̤: e̤: a̤: o̤: /
/ḭ: ḛ: a̰: o̰: /

Stage 5:

Length distinction on vowels lost.
Stressed syllables remain allophonically long.
/ʔ h/ -> /ʔ/
/ɸ s x/ -> /h/
/w j/ deleted word initally
/l/ -> /j/ in all circumstances
/r/ -> /l/
/R/ -> /w/ in all cirumstances
V -> Ṽ / _ final nasal
Final nasals lost.
Final /e e̤ ḛ ẽ/ lost.

/m n ŋ/
/pʰ tʰ tsʰ tʃʰ kʰ/
/p t ts tʃ k ʔ/
/s h/
/r/
/w l j/

i e a o
i̤ e̤ a̤ o̤
ḭ ḛ a̰ o̰
ĩ ẽ ã õ
/h/ -> [ɸ] / _ /o o̤ o̰ õ/

That's where I got to. haha. With one more step I could bring it to Kojikeng as I initially presented I think but this direction has been interesting. I'm flirting with tone at this point. I could also just use this even though it is different from what I intended. Aspiration distinction instead of voicing on stops could be represented with the same orthography so it is tempting. I do think I'll take another stab at it and from a different path. I'm pleased I figured out a way to get to a 4 vowel system from what you had.

The protolang inventory and sound system actually invites so many directions. I could easily have gone into having a retroflex series for example. When I think about it, with the glottal stop being there, allowing the rise of ejectives would be easy too (maybe shorten vowels before glottal stops and lengthen those after. Next stage delete vowels before glottal stops to create new clusters, some of which would inevitably be stops or could be made into stops and thus cause the sequences to be analysed/treated as ejective stops) Not that you need glottal stops to even be phonemic of course to do that. A stage where stops experience glottal reinforcement with a preceding change where the stop the glottal stop was reinforcing gets deleted also would work.