Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Re: Lexicon milestones

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

You're correct in saying I shouldn't have excluded the phrases from my initial count because I was including twenty-one of the twenty-six (incorrect maths) words related to my measurement system, eleven of which contained duplicate portions. Thus, there are 160 words in Zoan Creole.
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

My new Limestone lexicon now contains 22 words, having seen several successful coinings this evening.

My favourite word form so far is:
Iłłíriiwa. - I’m lying on my back/supine.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

On August 1, Kankonian reached 60,000 words!

The sixty thousandth word was parkarsim, meaning "stroke of midnight". It comes from parkar, midnight + sim, chime.

Interlingua, according to the sources on the language, has "over 60,000" words; therefore, Kankonian's lexicon is only a little smaller than that of Interlingua. It is said that the lexicon of Interlingua is still growing, though apparently it's somewhere between 60,001 and 60,999 words (they probably would have said "over 61,000 words" otherwise). Kankonian remains in sixth place among conlangs, and has the largest lexicon among the known artlangs. (Although if any of you know of an artlang with a larger lexicon, please do bring it to my attention!)
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Caelian finally passed the mark of 1,000 roots!

The 1,000th root is *k-lym-r, "tear; to cry; grief; sadness"

Meanwhile, Yélian is coming closer and closer to the 5,000 lexemes border, standing at 4,805 now.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Iyionaku wrote: 23 Sep 2019 16:48 Caelian finally passed the mark of 1,000 roots!

The 1,000th root is *k-lym-r, "tear; to cry; grief; sadness"

Meanwhile, Yélian is coming closer and closer to the 5,000 lexemes border, standing at 4,805 now.

Hurrah!

And do update us on Yélian soon, when you get there!

Meanwhile, Kankonian has reached 61,000 words with fulashin, meaning "misdeed". It's made of fulash (wrongdoing) plus the suffix -in, which is used to form nouns indicating a single instance of something (for instance, butzekh is "to restrict", while butzekhin is "a restriction").

Interlingua is reported to have "over 60,000 words". Apparently, this must mean it has between 60,001 and 60,999 words, because if it were higher, the society would have reported "over 61,000 words" or "over 62,000 words". Kankonian has now surpassed Interlingua as the conlang with the fifth largest lexicon.

61,000 Kankonian - James Landau; spoken on the planet Kankonia in the Lehola Galaxy
72,000 Neo - Arturo Alfandari; Euroclone
77,000 Esperanto - Ludwig Lazarus Zamenhof; auxlang and the world's most successful conlang
over 83,000 xuxuxi - John Cowan; based on the same principles as Classical Yiklamu
91,591 Classical Yiklamu - Mark P. Line; engelang with computer-generated vocabulary based on WordNet and no derivation
♂♥♂♀

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Khemehekis wrote: 17 Dec 2019 06:39

Hurrah!

And do update us on Yélian soon, when you get there!
It's done!

Yélian just reached the milestone of 5,000 entries.

The 5000th word was garesifdúr "coffee brewer, coffee machine"

It was my clear target to reach this goal at the end of the decade latest, and I'm still nine days ahead. Lexember helped a bunch with new vocab, as every year, and just as much the Landau Core Vocabulary! It also means that since I started building the vocabulary in April 2014, I created about two words per day on average.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Iyionaku wrote: 25 Dec 2019 13:53 It's done!

Yélian just reached the milestone of 5,000 entries.

The 5000th word was garesifdúr "coffee brewer, coffee machine"
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to have helped you with the Landau Core Vocabulary!

And having a 5-year-old conlang that you still work on is also impressive. 5 years from now, Yélian will've probably reached the 10,000 mark.

You made the end of the decade with 7 days to spare!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

How much did your biggest-lexiconed conlang grow in the last decade? How many words did it have when the eleventies ended?

Kankonian finished off the tenties with 21,145 words. The last word added before 2009 ended was skwezed, meaning "jack" (like you lift your car with).

The first word of the eleventies, word #21,146, was stafaf, a verb meaning "to finish off". Thus did a word for finishing something off start the decade off.

I listened to Alice 97.3 (KLLC) as I coined my last words of the decade. Such songs as "Cake by the Ocean" by DNCE and "Bubbly" by Colbie Caillat played before Alice announced the new year. The last word I added on December 31, 2019, two or three minutes before midnight, was bopultia, meaning "poppy field". It comes from bopulta (poppy) plus the suffix -ia, which in Kankonian not only forms proper nouns for places (like, um, Kankonia), but also common nouns for places: falish (marijuana) + -ia = falishia (cannabis club). I finished off the decade with 61,367 Kankonian words.

May I create thousands more in the twelveties!
♂♥♂♀

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

It looks like Poswa has pretty much stayed the same .... it was at about 5700 words in 2010, and is just over 6000 today. (I'm using MS Excel, and there are blank lines, so these are probably slight overestimates.) It's not the number of words that has changed, but the quality .... ten years ago I still had a lot of remnant word-gen output that had unpleasant consonant clusters and no feasible etymology rooted in the parent language. But today, every single word of the dictionary has an etymology going back to the parent language, whether through direct inheritance (>99% of the vocabulary) or through loans from related languages, mostly Pabappa.

Pabappa is in 2nd place now and has been for a long time, but its words are now also securely rooted in etymology, whereas in 2010 they were no different than Poswa's. However, Pabappa has slipped from having over 6000 words ten years ago to only about 3700 today.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Pabappa wrote: 01 Jan 2020 18:52 It looks like Poswa has pretty much stayed the same .... it was at about 5700 words in 2010, and is just over 6000 today. (I'm using MS Excel, and there are blank lines, so these are probably slight overestimates.) It's not the number of words that has changed, but the quality .... ten years ago I still had a lot of remnant word-gen output that had unpleasant consonant clusters and no feasible etymology rooted in the parent language. But today, every single word of the dictionary has an etymology going back to the parent language, whether through direct inheritance (>99% of the vocabulary) or through loans from related languages, mostly Pabappa.

Pabappa is in 2nd place now and has been for a long time, but its words are now also securely rooted in etymology, whereas in 2010 they were no different than Poswa's. However, Pabappa has slipped from having over 6000 words ten years ago to only about 3700 today.
Cool! It's always nice to "clean up" your lexicon.

I did some math, and figured out that I created exactly 40,222 Kankonian words in the past decade.

I have already created some new words in 2020, including andaha na payasis (existential crisis), khuswuzhis (asshat), roruz-phadusom (pancreatitis), and tyekhpurin (mode/modality, in its logic sense).
Last edited by Khemehekis on 21 May 2022 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Khemehekis wrote: 01 Jan 2020 10:03 How much did your biggest-lexiconed conlang grow in the last decade? How many words did it have when the eleventies ended?

Kankonian finished off the tenties with 21,145 words. The last word added before 2009 ended was skwezed, meaning "jack" (like you lift your car with).

May I create thousands more in the twelveties!
That's so crazy! I doubt I actively know 60,000 words in my native language, let alone English, but thinking of making a conlang this big is just incredible!

As I started conlanging in 2014, all of my conlangs started from scratch. The current vocabulary count according to my dictionary management page (silas.link/VocCollector, a site a friend made on my request):

Yélian: 0 --> 5,011
Caelian: 0 --> 1,002
Paatherye: 0 --> 963
Anto: 0 --> 885
Bath'aso: 0 --> 740

And a few less important languages with < 700 words.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Behold, a list of 47 conlangs with a lexicon of over 10,000 words, in all their compendious glory!

@Iyionaku: Hopefully in 2024, Yélian will reach its ten thousandth word, and then it'll be eligible for this list!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

On August 1, 2019, Kankonian reached 60,000 words.

Today, February 16, 2020, Kankonian reached 62,500 words.

Word #62,500, interestingly, was the first word I coined today in a two-day spree of going over C-words in English. The word was hotzakis, meaning "coachman". It comes from hotzak (coach) plus the person suffix -is.
♂♥♂♀

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

As of yesterday, Lortho has amassed 701 words.

It is truly dizzying to see languages with a lexicon of over 1,000 words—never mind anything with over 60,000! I commend all of you who have stuck through it for so long. I hope that my language can grow to tens of thousands.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

bbbourq wrote: 17 Feb 2020 16:01 I hope that my language can grow to tens of thousands.
I hope so too!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

And here's something I forgot to mention yesterday. It's truly fantaustic! When I was adding all those English E-words to Kankonian yesterday, I reached word #62,832 -- twice the Number of the Conlanging Beast!

The word was paishouf, meaning embarkation (the process of getting military equipment aboard a ship). The first half is clearly derived from the Kankonian preposition pai, meaning "into", but the second half is obscure, not any Kankonian word in my dictionary. I think of it as a dead morpheme, like the "cob" in "cobweb", made up just for this word. Shouf (pronounced [ʃɯf], BTW) supposedly reflects the feeling of lugging or dragging something.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Txabao has just reached 500 words!

Word #500 was 'oipxa, meaning "navel".

All of you can take a look at my 500-word dictionary here.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

And I just got to word #100 in the Achel language of the chais of Keitel. The hundredth word was bbal, meaning "fifteen". (Chais count in hexadecimal).
♂♥♂♀

Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Boral has reached word 2500! [:D]

mesveir "miss, not notice, ignore, be wrong", from mes- + veir "to see".

...por noc un hom mesveir ant man leyað an autr tay...
...lest you miss someone signaling for more tea...
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

As of the last compilation of the Atili lexicon, the language has 287 words and/or affixes. Honestly, that's more than I had expected.

This does, however, double count some words with multiple basic definitions and also counts lexicalized derived forms like aryotò "pastry," lit. "little bread."
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog