Kurt Cobain Day

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Kurt Cobain Day

Post by Khemehekis »

qwed117 wrote:Exact opposite: It's about her regrets about Cobain's suicide
Spoiler:
Khemehekis wrote:
"Do what you want
'Cause I'll do anything
And I'll take the blame"

Courtney Love is saying that's she's not afraid to do anything to Cobain. And no doubt she took the blame for it: just look at the popularity of the CKKC conspiracy theory.
Opposite: Roughly says "Commit suicide, no matter what I do, your fans will blame me

"What's mine is yours
You can't have all of it
And I'll learn to beg"

Here, Love expresses a jealousy of Cobain and Nirvana's success: she is telling Cobain that he can't have all the fame and glory; Love wants Hole to be successful too. I have heard people insist that Love murdered Cobain in order for her band to become more famous and successful, and it worked: Hole were propelled to popularity as soon as Cobain died.
Cobain's fame is propelling her to success, He literally "can't have all of it". It's spilling off into her. She's begging people to accept her as "Not-Cobain" versus "Cobain's girlfriend"

"All the boys on the radio
They crash and burn
They fold and fade so slow"

Boys on the radio = young male rock stars who get played on the radio: Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, in addition to other grungers who were young at the time of Cobain's death (Eddie Vedder, Layne Staley, etc.) Many of them had "crash and burn" lifestyles, including Cobain himself, and Shannon Hoon. Also the guy who has "lain stalely" in his grave since 2002, although that was four years after this song came out, so Love couldn't have been talking about him.
Literally this says "Boys unused to fame ultimately commit suicide/do drugs etc.

"In your endless summer night
I'll be on the other side"

The "endless summer night" is Heaven, where it's always summer (they'll never get cold!) Love is now "on the other side" (on Earth while Cobain is in Heaven), although this could also mean at the other end of his death (i.e. causing it).
On the day of his death, she was on the "other side", ie. too far away from Kurt Cobain to help him. Although, technically he killed himself in Mid-spring...

"When you're beautiful and dying
All the world that you've denied"

Cobain was obviously "dying", and he died young so he could have a "beautiful" corpse.
The line "you've denied" makes it pretty clear she's referring to suicide

"When the water is too deep
You can close your eyes and really sleep tonight
Tonight"

Water appears to be a stand-in for another liquid here: heroin. Cobain was so deep in heroin, many CKKC proponents insist, that he couldn't have managed to pull the trigger competently. And of course, sleep is often a euphemism for death.
A brief glance at lucidity unfortunately fails as you swerve to bland propaganda. Water, and more understandably drowning, is associated with "drowning in work". I've never heard someone use "water" in a metaphor for "heroin". He also voluntarily closes his eye (ehem, can). This means, under pressure, Kurt Cobain chose to commit suicide and "really sleep". In other words, he dedded

"I want what's yours
Oh I'd give anything
And I'll take the pain
I wait alone
For what will never come
And I'll throw it all away"

More about Love's envy of Nirvana's success: she would "do anything", even killing her beloved husband, to gain it. She also took the pain of Kurt's lifelong angst away by a quick-and-painless gunshot. (Or so she says in this song.) Said success would never come (unless, of course, her husband were to die, and Love knew how to expedite that). "I'll throw it all away" may have meant throwing away the talent of Cobain with quick death, so no more songs could come out of the Nirvana factory.
Sanity is attempted, yet ideology took place over it. Love wants Nirvana's fame, yes. But she'll ultimately take the worst toll of it all, losing her husband. She's alone, her daughter too young to truly understand. She's the only one in the pain. "What will never come" is better stated as

"I let you in under my skin
And risen every angel slain"

"Under my skin" may be a reference to Love becoming a heroin addict around the same time Cobain did. Not murder-related, but seems to be yet another suggestion this song is about Cobain. Cobain, who was "slain" according to this lyrics, was angelic in many ways: he had a Jesus fetish, including a collection of Jesus figurines, and covered the song "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam".
A glance at lucidity again. "Under my skin" probably means that she and Cobain fell in love. "Angel slain" probably refers to the fact that he was her first love.

"He said he'd never, ever, ever go
And heavens, heavens, heavens no
And never, ever, ever go away
Baby, I've gone away"

This part is puzzling. The lyrics state "He said he'd never, ever, ever go", but Cobain had hinted at death many times: he joked about joining the 27 Club, and said, "I hate myself and I want to die". Maybe what Love is getting at is that it was she, not he, who wanted Cobain to die, which would suggest murder rather than suicide.
This literally says he promised not to commit suicide, but ended up doing so. "Baby, I've gone away" clearly is intended to be Kurt Cobain saying it.

"I know what you are running to
Please come back
Oh, come back again
I hear the truth
It's coming from you
Oh, come back
Won't come back again"

"Come back" often means to be resurrected from death, so "won't come back again" means Cobain is dead. "I hear the truth, it's coming from you" means that the spirit of Kurt Cobain knows the truth about how his body died: that the CKKC people were right, and it was a murder, not a suicide as officially ruled.
"I know what you are running to" makes it pretty clear that it is saying she knows he's trying to commit suicide. She says "come back" (as in, don't commit suicide). "I hear the truth" means that she thinks that Kurt Cobain's suicide note, which would've been published at that time that she would learn about it is "Kurt Cobain". It's him speaking. She knows he was killed by himself, and he won't come back again.

"When the water is too deep
I will ease your suffering"

Love, as the conspiracy theory goes, eased Cobain's suffering by offing him, putting an end to his angsty life.
She wants to ease Kurt Cobain's suffering, through love, not by viciously murdering him. Doesn't this statement contradict your "She did it for the fame!!!!!!!!!! statement earlier anyways?

"When the glitter fades in morning
Turn away and you will find my empty eyes"

The "glitter" here was the nineties-era hype surrounding bands like Nirvana and Hole. It faded as artists like Ricky Martin, Britney Spears, Eminem, Good Charlotte, Puddle of Mudd, Moby and Avril Lavigne took over the musical stage, but at the time the song was written, Hole were at their strongest and at their most successful album. Love was saying that when the glitter would fade, she would be left, now with an empty look in her face since the youth of Generation X would be over.
This was their most successful album, and anyways. The glitter refers to either his dreams when sleeping or his happiness from finally being out of his suffering. Her empty eyes are the ones either, when she awakes in the morning, forgetting the past and living in the present, or weeping her eyeballs out because Kurt, her husband, is dead

"I know that you are rotten to the core
I know that you don't love me anymore
I know that you are rotten to the core"

In Heaven, Cobain can no longer love Love, as he witnessed her murdering him.
Cherry picking statements to interpret as Cobain, if this were Love, she'd be saying, "Why did you kill your
[/quote]

Nice!

See? Interpreting lyrics can be fun!

One thing, though:
No, it's been cherrypicked to hell just to serve your own beliefs.
[/quote]

I don't subscribe strongly to the CKKC theory. I'm an agnostic on the cause of Kurt Cobain's death. I just thought the song sounded a lot like a song about Kurt being murdered.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

It was 25 years ago today rock lost its greatest nineties-era legend. Kurt Cobain is still young and shrouded in cachet and mystery.

This now seems like a long, long time ago.

I still don't know whether Courtney Love did it. Some say she was off her rocker, which caused her to off a rocker.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

In the Metal Thread, Tanni shares a bit of this conversation:
Tanni wrote: 05 Feb 2020 18:29 Venom - Countess Bathory

See the following comments:

IMPERIAL
4 years ago
kurt cobain totally ripped off that main riff...

zzzzthemodzzz
3 years ago
Aparently Cobain was a Venom fan. \m/
I listened to it, and can hear two Nirvana songs in it.

"Black Metal" by Venom appears to start out like "About a Girl".

Then, shortly before the singing starts out, it segues into "Breed".

Fascinating to find this out. I didn't know much of Kurt Cobain's influences besides the Pixies.
♂♥♂♀

Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Khemehekis wrote: 13 Feb 2020 04:49 In the Metal Thread, Tanni shares a bit of this conversation:
Tanni wrote: 05 Feb 2020 18:29 Venom - Countess Bathory

See the following comments:

IMPERIAL
4 years ago
kurt cobain totally ripped off that main riff...

zzzzthemodzzz
3 years ago
Aparently Cobain was a Venom fan. \m/
I listened to it, and can hear two Nirvana songs in it.

"Black Metal" by Venom appears to start out like "About a Girl".

Then, shortly before the singing starts out, it segues into "Breed".

Fascinating to find this out. I didn't know much of Kurt Cobain's influences besides the Pixies.
By chance, I found Kurt Cobain mentioned in the comments. As I don't have that much experience with his songs (I probably only would be able to recognize Teen spirit.) and as I feared that clicking into the comments would interrupt the music, I didn't check the further content. I put it into the Metal thread in case the comments would contain something negative, as the Kurt Cobain Day thread is to honor Kurt Cobain.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Tanni wrote: 13 Feb 2020 09:28 By chance, I found Kurt Cobain mentioned in the comments. As I don't have that much experience with his songs (I probably only would be able to recognize Teen spirit.) and as I feared that clicking into the comments would interrupt the music, I didn't check the further content. I put it into the Metal thread in case the comments would contain something negative, as the Kurt Cobain Day thread is to honor Kurt Cobain.
Something negative? You mean like somebody accusing Kurt of being a plagiarust? Well, luckily no one's done that here.

If you check out my links to the Nirvana songs in my above post, you should be able to hear the resemblance.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Listening to "Polly" for Kurt Cobain's birthday. (NSFW photo)
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

At Janko Gorenc's page https://sites.google.com/site/jankogorenc/conlangers

there is the screenname "Thom Yorke Black Kurt Cobain".

Obviously this is not the person's real name. Nonetheless, it is an intriguing merging of names:

1. Kurt Cobain
2. Thom Yorke, another alternative rocker with a Kurt Cobain hairstyle (lead singer of Radiohead, for those who aren't in the know)
3. Frank Black, or Black Francis (lead singer of the Pixies)

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" was an attempt to write a song that sounded like the Pixies.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Other famous musicians who were born on February 20:

Buffy Sainte-Marie (b. February 20, 1941)
Sandy Duncan (b. February 20, 1946)
J. Geils, the J. Geils Band (February 20, 1946 - April 11, 2017)
Brian Littrell, the Backstreet Boys (b. February 20, 1975)
Rihanna (b. February 20, 1988)
Kim Ji-hun, KNK (b. February 20, 1995)
Olivia Rodrigo (b. February 20, 2003)

I remember reading that one of the Backstreet Boys shared a birthday with Kurt Cobain, but I couldn't remember which one it was. And until I researched February 20 birthdays on Wikipedia, I had no idea Rihanna was born February 20!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Mrs. Butterworth

Kurt never actually got this old . . .
♂♥♂♀