What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by WeepingElf »

Pabappa wrote: 14 Feb 2020 19:31 Ejectives? Does that mean your language has *four* stop series, or did you drop the aspirates as in modern Greek?
There are three. The old voiceless stops have become ejectives; aspirated and voiced stops stayed what they were (the Georgian voiceless pulmonic stops are phonetically aspirated), and each class written with the letters Ancient Greek used for its antecedents. BTW, in terms of the alphabetic order, the Georgian alphabet does just the same: the letters for the ejectives occupy the positions of π τ κ, those for the voiceless pulmonic stops those of φ θ χ. (Of course, Georgian did not evolve from Ancient Greek, but it does this in Greek loanwords.)

BTW, I should say something about where and when this Colchidic Greek is spoken. The setting is real-world Georgia (the one in the Caucasus, of course), today. Colchidic Greek is a tiny, endangered language minority, and the alphabet constructed intrafictionally by a native speaker by combining the Greek and Georgian alphabets. They could easily have simply used the Georgian alphabet, but they said, "We are Greeks, thus we shall write in Greek", and added the Georgian letters they needed to the Greek alphabet, inserting them just before Omega, which they wanted to keep as the last letter of the alphabet such that the "Alpha and Omega" thing still holds.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Hello everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve posted here due to life changing events. Since I’ve settled in, I have managed to learn some LaTeX and make a lexicon and reference/pedagogical grammar for Lortho on my website. They are still works in progress, but are complete enough for me to showcase them. I hope you guys like what you see.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

OTʜᴇB wrote: 13 Feb 2020 22:40 Today, I re-emerged from the void. Aszev very kindly recovered this account for me as it had all but been lost to time. Spent some time lurking and having a massive nostalgia trip seeing all the usernames I recognised, and this evening I laid out a phonology and some phonotactics for the first bit of conlanging I've done in probably a couple of years now.

Feels nice to be back here.
Welcome back!

Have Orderlang and your other conlangs gathered so much dust as to be completely unsalvageable?

On Saturday and Sunday, I did C-words for Kankonian. I now have more than 375 new words, including:

kwushashui: cachaça
poidaika: caladium
ksadahens: caliper
zanzokyu: campion (Lychnis) (zanzo, tooth + kyu, five)
zanzosem: campion (Silene) (zanzo + sem, six)
segwigli: Campylobacter
fwifu*is: Candida
akhafla: canto; book (of epic poem, Tzalath, Bible, etc.)
zhodotheria: capacitance (zhodoth, battery + -eria, suffix to make a concrete word into an abstract noun)
bmevod: capstone
yigao: caracal
besrurkeph: cardiomyopathy (from Ciladian roots: bes, heart + rur, muscle + keph, disease)
poskuthi: cardoon, artichoke thistle
dipsukah: carioca
semaviz ad tusthung: carpetbagger (lit. nidu salesman; nidu is a plant that produces an edible curd; its LIE name comes from Bodusian, but Kankonian has its own name, tusthung. People would go out of their way to travel to other countries and planets to profit off of selling nidu.)
yehadehowia: carwash (yehade, car, automobile + howo, to wash + -ia, suffix for a place)
kriskin: catecholamine (kriska, adrenal + -in, suffix for a hormone)
histhikh: caterwaul; to caterwaul
enezkhid hobepo: catfish (lit. "cornea account"; like a cornea with no eye behind it)
tigra: catsuit
izuezinos: causative (izuez, causation + -inos, suffix to form grammar words)
yoshedah: cenote
baikolas na Hudredemas: centerpoint ("center of Hudredemas", Hudredemas being the name of a Kankonian ancient)
pukyas: centriole (from the Ciladian for barrel)
gwouiks: cerebrospinal fluid, CSF
*ithabopod: chairlift (*itha, chair + bopod, stepping stone)
woiposvefaf: challah (woipos, bubble + vefaf, bread)
trenakh: charcuterie (meat); also trenakheria with -eria for charcuterie (cooking) and trenakhia with -ia for charcuterie (shop)
kyusikhos: chayote
pobling: cheapo
adpobling: to cheapen (ad-, a prefix meaning "to" or "for" + pobling)
saugisos: cheesecloth
aspapoimi: chikungunya virus (from some language of Kupulshas)
wukrenosar: chiller (that novel is a ~) (wukrenos, spooky + -ar, suffix to indicate a way)
zayakranan: chloramine (zaya, nitrogen + kranan, chlorine)
yayakeke: choirboy and yayalazi: choirgirl (from repeating "yaya" from yayar, to sing + the ends of makeke, little boy and malazi, little girl)
umasnakhdekat: chronometer (from Ciladian roots: umas, time + nakh, to measure + dekat, machine)
kalboer: chuff; to chuff (tiger noise)
kadogas: churchyard
bligrishi: churro
bompshum: chyme
Kotodzik: Cimmerian (extremely dark) (after Kotodza, a land in Renshan mythology said to be in 100% darkness + -ik, suffix for a demonym)
khohass: cinder block, breeze block
merzad: circumcircle (mer, around + -zad, suffix for number of sides on a two-dimensional shape)
mergrizh: cladding (mer + grizh, optical fiber)
pad ad ksaro: classpack (lit. "set for the classroom")
uftenhid: claymore
tornosbaikolas: clearinghouse (tornos, bank + baikolas, center)
awivikaksith: cloudburst (awivi, rain + kaksith, bomb); I also used this as a synonym for vaharshki likt (bath bomb); "vaharshki likt" means "pink shower", in case you were wondering
hotzakis: coachman (hotzak, coach + -is, suffix for a person) <----- This was word #62,500!
ushblimes: codec (portmanteau of ushblukhfash, encoder and imesenfash, decoder)
karovmemelos: colorism (karov, complexion + memel, discriminatory or prejudiced (narigmemel is sexist, for instance) + -os, abstract noun suffix)
hes-hon: communiqué (hes, out + hon, document)
hozkosh: compactor
sekweidis: comptroller
meadkhazid: concealer (mead, against + khazid, mark)
hubanmeya (pl. hubanmeyez): concertgoer (huban, concert + meya, person)
khedush: concha
abshewan: condensate (liquid) (ab-, prefix meaning "from" + shewan, condensation; to condense)
sikmou: condensate (in quantum physics) (borrowing from a language of Keitel)
keviko: conehead (hat)
lyubav: conjunct (borrowing from Ciladian: lyu, with, to + babh, truth)
bakhnafkh: consigliere (advisor in organized crime) (supposedly a borrowing)
tshusphour: consommé
huweshuhaniphadim: constitutionalism (borrowing from Shaleyan: huweshuhani, constitution (huwesh, nation + hani, guide) + phadim, philosophy)
ksrivvugis: constrictor (ksriv, to constrict; constriction + vugis, snake)
suvunek: constructivism (borrowing from Ciladian: subhun, knowledge + ek, to build)
aindan*aitzartfash, or ain*ai for short: constructor (aindan, copy + *aitzart, to start/begin + -fash, agent noun suffix)
adephetzi: consumable (adephetz, to deplete, to run out of + -i, adjective suffix)
sreandrispwiz: contracture (srean, contraction + drispwiz, deformity)
adpayi: contributory (ad- + pai, into + -i)
meluzunga: controllable (me-, prefix for not + luzunga, uncontrollable)
trekuth: item of cookware ("cookware" is the plural, trekuthes)
kasyuim: copine
amattapi: coqui (from a minority language once spoken on the continent of Povoi)
wofrispoda: cornflower (Centaurea cyanus)
tz*ithis: cornstalk
khidu: crown (of milk falling on the floor) (from the Ciladian word for crown)
khidudopom: coronavirus (khidu + dopom, virus)
lizakukhanya: corporatocracy (borrowing from Shaleyan: lizak, business, corporation + khaña, rule, reign)
naidus: corpsman, corpswoman
abzentsevrith: counterintelligence (abzent, to counteract + sevrith, (military) intelligence)
ungshepang: counterpunch; to counterpunch (ung, to counterbalance + shepang, punch; to punch)
kidamoshuta: cowbell (for a cow) (borrowed from a language of Schaza, where the cow has been domesticated)
klingkling: cowbell (musical instrument)
tzatakadzh: crampon (an extension of tzataki, shoe)
thakomenem: craniofacial (thak, skull + omen, face + -em, suffix to turn body parts on the head into adjectives)
thoskogobas: craniosynostosis, cloverleaf skull
muyestorotzis: crewmate (muye, also, fellow + storotz, crew + -is)
ollikak: crewneck (adj.) (ol, the Kankonian letter O, which is shaped like the Roman alphabet's O + likak, neck)
gherheduskfash: crimestopper (gher, crime + hedusk, to intervene + -fash)
threshonia: cropland (threshon, arable + -ia)
khapad: to crop (of a machine)
khapadfash: cropper (khapad + -fash)
fmekhorkhos: croquette
ashta*uthis: crosstown (ashta, opposite, across from + *uthis, town, city)
glanashtizi: crostino
gvekwita: crudité
sofgola: crumpet
tansalkarmans: data cruncher, number cruncher (computer) (tansal, data + karmans, machine)
vushem-tansalkarmans: data cruncher, number cruncher (person) (vushem, brain + tansalkarmans; analogous to such words as vushem-matakapt, walking encyclopedia)
duledukhul: cryotherapy (borrowing from Shaleyan: dul, cold + dukhul, therapy)
lidekhadaz: CTO (borrowing from Shaleyan: lidekh, technology + daz, head, chief)
volosmarkuz: cufflink (volos, cuff + markuz, button)
dramibak: cultivator
meiblutyemiz: curcumin (meiblutyem, turmeric + -iz, suffix for chemicals found in foods/plants)
shizipipsas, or, by haplology, shizipsas: cutscene (shizip, fast-forward + ipsas, bit, as in "this little bit")
adolia: cuvier (adol, to ferment; fermentation + -ia)
dagismyuv: cytogenesis (from Ciladian roots: dagis, unit; cell + myubh, to form; formation)
sheldomungeria: cytoskeleton (sheldomung, microtubule + -eria)
windigukrass: cytosol (windi, cell + gukrass, sol (colloid))
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Khemehekis wrote: 17 Feb 2020 10:31 Welcome back!

Have Orderlang and your other conlangs gathered so much dust as to be completely unsalvageable?
Thanks! [:D] I think it's entirely possible some of my old conlangs could be salvaged. One I stumbled into was the tree-based one which I thought was pretty cool. I may return to them at some point, though for now I'm starting something new as a way to get back into conlanging. Here's hoping it doesn't meet the same "lost to the void of time" fate all my others have.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

OTʜᴇB wrote: 17 Feb 2020 20:21 Thanks! [:D]
You're welcome!
I think it's entirely possible some of my old conlangs could be salvaged. One I stumbled into was the tree-based one which I thought was pretty cool. I may return to them at some point, though for now I'm starting something new as a way to get back into conlanging. Here's hoping it doesn't meet the same "lost to the void of time" fate all my others have.
Oh yeah, I remember a tree-based engelang, too. You were one of the Net's most prolific engelangers, so it's nice to see your output again.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Yesterday I did D-words in Kankonian. That brought me 142 new words. Here are some of them:

duvass: daemon, daimon (guiding deity)
trikmel: datapad (presumably a borrowing from some people who became technologically advanced before the Kankonians did)
kmogispa: dauber, mud wasp
phundi: deacon (borrowing from Phesandran, the liturgical language of the Musefi faith, which has a Catholicism-like hierarchy of clergy)
stoernapsithi: deadlift; to deadlift (stoern, difficult + apsithi, to lift, to raise)
nudkhyab: decapod (from Ciladian roots: nud, ten + khyab: leg, foot)
pumus-pumath: deckhand (pumus, hand + pumath, shovel)
koyops: plate (in naval architecture)
halathkoyops: deckplate (halath, deck + koyops)
wehisamalekh: to deglaze (wehisa, liquid + malekh, to free)
heszhomas: dehydrogenase (hes, out of + zhomas, hydrogen)
karankurgenz: to deindustrialize; deindustrialization (karan, away from + kurgenz, industrial)
ukhoidard: to delist (ukh, off + oidard, list)
ozgoerik: dementor
girlaga: demoiselle crane
adyigo: nuclearization, to nuclearize (ad-, prefix for "for" or "to" + yigo, nuclear)
karanyigo: denuclearization, to denuclearize (karan + yigo)
puphus-gumu: self-deprecation; to self-deprecate (puphus, to dig + gumu, foot)
rafskazkham: depredation (rafskaz, barbarian + kham, dereduplication of khamkham, to munch on)
yanakass: dermabrasion (borrowing from Shaleyan: yana, skin + kas, to scrape)
khatal ghos: dermis, cutis, cutis vera, corium (lit. "core skin")
adakhvirakhfash: destructor (function), or dakhvi for short (from the verbal phrase "virakh ad akh", or "to burn to nothing", meaning to burn up + -fash, agent noun suffix)
mesemehemnoi: determinate (me-, prefix meaning "not" + semehemnoi, indeterminate)
*ozgraud: detestable (noun)
musiphum: deuterostome (made of Ciladian roots: musi, anus + phum, first)
kanphum: protostome (made of Ciladian roots: kan, mouth + phum, first)
sakhyuf: to devoice
sakhyufi: devoiced (sakhyuf + -i, adjective suffix)
phiti: devotional (noun) (borrowing from Phesandran)
blauwobo: dewberry (Rubus caesius)
eddani: diatomic (ed, the Ciladian word for two + dan, atom + -i)
frizhego: dicamba
gyegsil: diffraction; to diffract (from Ciladian roots: gyeg, apart + sil, ray)
kuloskitshund: dimmer, dipswitch (kulos, circuit + kitshund, (power) switch)
blazo: dingbat (symbol)
skhosiyal: dioxin (blend of oshkos, oxygen + skitziyal, herbicide)
pmedesharg: diphenhydramine (probably some name invented by the pharmaceutical folks)
kmanthi or kmanthis: dirtbag, sleazebag
khuphusshushim: disfavor (khuphus, feces + shushim, pile, heap)
aubleth, snothbrekh, snodbrekh: all mean disgusted
skanshakelto: distro (borrowing from Javarti: skanxa, to pass on + kelto, set)
gegevainatzis: divorcee (gege, back, again + vainatz, free + -is, suffix for a person)
thmothru: divot
boerkoerm: dimethyltryptamine, DMT (borrowing from Bt!apzh)
osfurgidi: dead on arrival, DOA (os, not + furgidu, to pull through, to make it, -i; in other words, "didn't make it")
heshkenalar: dockside (hesh, by, alongside + kenalar, dock, port, harbor)
karaphmazin: dogfight (between dogs) (karaph, dog + mazin: fight; to fight)
huvongmazin: dogfight (between warplanes) (huvong, airplane + mazin)
ohos muyambra: domesticity (lit. "homey soul")
oiribamas: Irish twins; by extension double-header (oiri, year + bamis, twin + -as, plural suffix)
ihemsherm: downfield (ihem, towards + sherm, native, indigenous, home (as in "home team"))
bulushlef: downlink (bulush, down + lef, sign, signal)
oulzelizhia: drafthouse (oul, only + zelizh, hard liquor, spirits, -ia: suffix for a place)
hokaph: to draft (make blueprints)
hokaphis: drafter, draftsman, draftswoman (hokaph + -is)
shlogmos: dreadnought, fearnought
shirkaramaik: dreamscape (shir, dream + karamaik, terrain)
braluis: driller (bralui, oil, petroleum + -is)
kivoda: DRM, digital rights management, digital handcuffs (borrowing from Javarti, in turn made from the classical root kiv-, to restrict + the Javarti suffix -oda, which forms agent nouns)
pharis: drugmaker
kheneritzehimez, or khentzehi for short: domain-specific language, DSL (kheneri, area, field + tzehimez, language)
duzhamis: dulcimerist (duzham, trapezoid; dulcimer + -ist)
dzuthod: dustpan
grerg: grerg (unit of force equal to the force generating a velocity of one tzetz per imis acting on one tzandar for one imis)
♂♥♂♀

kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Welcome back, OTʜᴇB and bbbourq!

I've been messing around with the possessor-benefactor system on nouns. Alál was originally intended to have minimal nominal morphology, but I'm having quite a lot of fun throwing verbal infixes at the nouns and seeing what they do there, and it all seems to mesh together quite nicely. Along with some changes I've made to the phonology (I may have sort of completely gotten rid of the retroflex series as I decided I didn't much like it after five years, whoops, also there's /m/ now, not sure where that came from but engma is no longer entirely alone in the nasal category), I'm quite happy with how things are going so far.

child  kası
my child  kıxaası
our child  kıulası
your child  kııùası
his/her child  kııhaısı
someone's child  kıìası

Effectively, possessors and benefactors of nouns are now marked as if the noun was being conjugated as a verb for subject and object, respectively. I figured nouns can already take verb-esque "axis" infixes for derivational purposes (tzaza 'water' → tzakıáaza 'waterfall' [lit. water flowing downwards]) including marking tense (mluár 'leader' → mlulıuár 'former leader'), so why not just make them Verbs Lite™?

food  raẓı
food made by you  rııùaẓı
food made for him  rıîhıaẓı
food you made for him  rıûuaẓı

This led naturally to playing with all the fun little things that come with that (such as the adpositions ẓa and kxa, which normally interact with a verb's arguments and here allow specifying the possessor/benefactor more explicitly), and the system has ended up quite robust and productive, with double-marking (using both an infixed and adpositional construction) leading to contrastive focus.

kxa laxaala kası  the statement made by me to the child
ẓa laìzala kası  the statement the child made to me
ẓa laaızala kası  the statement the child (specifically, as opposed to someone else) said to me

Most importantly, I can now expand my collection of translated memes.

ḳalaàzàz  the poison
ḳaîıalaàzàz  the poison for him
kxa ḳalaàzàz Kuâsku  the poison for Kuzco
kxa ḳaîıalaàzàz Kuâsku  the poison specifically for Kuzco
kxa ḳalaàzàz arà Ḳaìluà  the poison for killing him
kxa ḳaalaàzàz arà Ḳulùluà  the poison you made for us to kill him (with)
kxa ḳualalaàzàz arà Ḳaìluàour poison for killing him
kxa ḳuaalaàzàz arà Ḳaìluàour poison specifically for killing him
kxa ḳaîıalaàzàz arà Ḳaìluà Kûsku  the poison specifically for killing Kuzco
ḳalaàzaazthat poison

Life is good.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

kiwikami wrote: 26 Feb 2020 07:04 cool Alál stuff
Good to see you still working on your magnificent language. [:D]

Híí also possesses somewhat verb-like nouns and its possessives can do some of the things you mention, especially dative possession, so that’s fun. [:)] Híí possession is sadly not marked with infixes though.
cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

DesEsseintes wrote: 26 Feb 2020 17:40
kiwikami wrote: 26 Feb 2020 07:04 cool Alál stuff
I agree, this is very cool!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

kiwikami wrote: 26 Feb 2020 07:04
Welcome back, OTʜᴇB and bbbourq!
child  kası
my child  kıxaası
our child  kıulası
your child  kııùası
his/her child  kııhaısı
someone's child  kıìası

food  raẓı
food made by you  rııùaẓı
food made for him  rıîhıaẓı
food you made for him  rıûuaẓı

kxa laxaala kası  the statement made by me to the child
ẓa laìzala kası  the statement the child made to me
ẓa laaızala kası  the statement the child (specifically, as opposed to someone else) said to me
All that slottery reminds me of the way Bodusian and Deksadian work.

[+1]

Meanwhile, I did E-words for Kankonian to mark this Bissextile Day, and now have over 125 new words. Some of my new words are:

izhudab: earcup (portmanteau of izhudia, headphones and dab, cup)
ihemterri: earthbound (ihem, towards + Terra, Earth + -i, adjective suffix)
ihemkankoni: Kankoniabound (ihem + Kankonia + -i)
retzelodon: easement (retzel, to pass, to pass by + odon, right)
khohutrat: eboshi (khohu, chimney + trat, hat, cap)
owumos-tzazhur: echocardiogram (owumos, ultrasound + tzazhur, heart)
shakoba: ecovillage (borrowing from an apparently unanalyzable Shaleyan word)
ihoo*os mefubi: ectopic pregnancy (lit. "non-uterine pregnancy")
gmeurfash: effector (molecule) (gmeur, to shape + -fash, agent noun suffix)
gwushp: to flow out
gwushpi: outflowing, effluent (gwushp + -i)
goyaris: eggman
yemesmiya: elearning (yema-, electronic prefix + esmiya, to learn)
sirdyel: electrolysis (made of Ciladian roots: sir, hair + dyel, lightning (lightning being a form of electricity known to the ancient Ciladians))
osateyi: electronegative (osat, electron + e, in + -i)
osat-hesi: electropositive (osat + hes, out (of) + -i)
tikheyaf kalkos: elkhorn coral (lit. "cervicorn coral")
adshetzi: to embitter (ad-, prefix from the preposition for "for" or "to" + shetzi, bitter (in the sense of feeling resentment))
bogtzokis: embolus
kikimah: (nuclear) electromagnetic pulse, EMP, NEMP (borrowing from some unnamed language)
halyahalia: empyrean (hal-, prefix for all + yahal, light, -ia, suffix for a place)
niherzanzi: endodontic (niher, inner + zanzo, tooth + -i)
kispush: endosymbiosis (from Ciladian roots: kis, inside + push, to live, to reside)
tzelos: engram (alteration of tzelom, memory)
nairnasar: n-gram (nair, match + nasar, line (group of words))
kamedkherud: enthalpy (from Ciladian roots: kamed, inner + kherud, heat)
dameddamed: epicycle (reduplication of the Ciladian damed, circle)
tzenoszudi: epigenetics (tzenos, gene + zudi, effect, consequence)
bretmous: Epsom salts, magnesium sulfate
nairkampas: equidistant (nair + kampas, far, distant)
smuzhgi: erasable, delible
tal: unit of force done by a work of one grerg applied through a distance of one tzetz (borrowing from the Ciladian word for work/labor)
nyadapuran: eroticism (borrowing from Ciladian: nyadap, enduring, persistent + uran, sexual pleasure)
emkwivashiz: erythritol (emkwivashiz, blackstrap molasses + -iz, suffix for a protein, ingredient, chemical, etc. in a food)
baitzitin: escalade, climb (baitzit, to climb + -in, suffix indicating a single instance of something)
Ithanet: Ethernet (borrowing from English)
Yoerozon: Eurozone (borrowing from English)
halzardari: eternally grateful (hal- + zardari, grateful)
Kegkin: Her Excellency (borrowing from Ciladian: keg, high + kin, woman)
Kegsur: His Excellency (borrowing from Ciladian: keg + sur, man)
zeyetz: excited state
hephakheria: excretory function (hephakh, excretion + -eria, abstract noun suffix)
endorgudan: executable (endor, straight + gudan, to run, to execute (a program))
tziyimeyi: endothermic (absorbing heat) (tziyim, hot + e + -i)
tziyimhesi: exothermic (releasing heat) (tziyim + hes + -i)
muova: expedition (military)
muovis: expeditionary (noun) (muova + -is, suffix for a person)
hyupartkhetz: exploitable (hyupart, to exploit, exploitation + khetz, easy)
adweltfash: extender (meat ~) (adwelt, to beef up + -fash)
ksopaswindi: extracellular (ksopass, without (opposite of within) + windi, cell)
mokhaswindi: intracellular (mokhass, within + windi)
ksopasmekh: extrajudicial (ksopass + mekh, justice (~ system))
abhesik: extraneous, alien (ab, from + hes + -ik, suffix indicating language or demonym)
maibegauanik: extrasolar (from outside the solar system in question) (mai-, as in maiterrik (extraterrestrial), maikankonik (extrakankonial), etc. + begauan, solar system + -ik)
♂♥♂♀

J_from_Holland
sinic
sinic

Post by J_from_Holland »

Can I ask where your roots come from? Things like zeyetz or muova. I bet you have a protolang for them [;)]
A few years, I posted about Bløjhvåtterskyll. That's Barmish nowadays, and it's quite different from back then.
:nld: :mrgreen: | :eng: [:D] | :deu: [:D] | :fra: [:P] | :ell: [:$] | :nor: [:$]
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Well mostly yesterday but I've been going through my resources for Old Japanese and making spread sheets to keep everything organized so I can come back and apply sound changes for my cat lang, and see where changes in grammar might need to be made.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

I have created a new verbal derivative formant for Pazmat. It is L,-os and forms verbs from adjectives that means "find s.one/s.thing [adjective]". Thus from damm- "annoying" we get dēmmos- "to find annoying. The thing being found annoying is in the dative--this is actually common for Pazmat verbs about feeling emotions. Thus we get:

A: idda jinbrāyīm gṛbrāyīm burstō?
What do you think of that new kid?

B: dēmmāsona...
I think they're annoying...

Notably, B's statement is in the imperfect, which means that they find the kid to be annoying right now Were it to be the aorist dēmmosī, that would give the impression that B just flat-out thinks that kid is annoying and will always be annoying--a pretty harsh judgement! The aorist would be more likely for a question like idda akarīyīm burstō? "how do you feel about apples?" (this is an excessively literal translation, "do you like apples" would be more natural, and the burst- "feel about" would probably be dropped so just idda akarīyīm?), to which you could reply with:

vacchayosī! "They're tasty!" (lit. "I find them tasty"--this is a time where literal translation is...flawed)
nōdayosī... "They're awful!" (lit. "I find them not tasty/bad")

This can be added to any adjective. Any adjective. Including participles, allowing for really damn compact stuff:

stṛw- "grieve" > stṛwor- "grieving" > stṛwāros- "find s.one grieving"

kṛbāva cṛsirūyīm stṛwārāsovyī
I found that girl grieving at the lake

...these new verbs can ALSO take participles.

kṛbāva cṛsirūyīm stṛwārosorāmi, dēcchavīna tāvamāyīm midhī
Having found that girl grieving at the lake I grew worried and asked her about what had caused this

This is a borderline silly amount of recursion. I have created a language that can inflect a verb TWICE with the same participle markers.

Also I still exist I guess.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
kiwikami
roman
roman

Post by kiwikami »

Chagen wrote: 05 Mar 2020 05:07...these new verbs can ALSO take participles.

kṛbāva cṛsirūyīm stṛwārosorāmi, dēcchavīna tāvamāyīm midhī
Having found that girl grieving at the lake I grew worried and asked her about what had caused this

This is a borderline silly amount of recursion. I have created a language that can inflect a verb TWICE with the same participle markers.
Nice.

I'm figuring out comparative constructions for Alál, but on a more realworldy note, I got a paper accepted at a conference, which is very neat and slightly unexpected, whoops, gonna have to go back and remember what I wrote about. Huzzah!

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

J_from_Holland wrote: 04 Mar 2020 23:02 Can I ask where your roots come from? Things like zeyetz or muova. I bet you have a protolang for them
Whule I can say they have etymologies in-world, out-world I haven't developed the proto-lang much. The non-derived words like "zeyetz" and "muova" I just constructed from phonaesthetic principles (doesn't "zeyetz" sound like it should mean "excited state"?) Whenever I need a new root that's neither a borrowing nor an eponymous word, I put together a bunch of sounds that "sounds like" the meaning.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I did F-words for Kankonian, and have more than 140 new words. I am one-third through with my alphabetical slog through the English language.

The new words include:

omen-tzatsh: face-down (omen, face + tzatsh, splat; freefaller (sleeping position))
toless: facial (moisturizing of the face)
tolesis: facialist (toless + -is, suffix for a person)
gmegtheld: facies (of a rock) (borrowed from some old language of northern Hegheos)
pta*adshehe*i: failsafe (pta* ad shehe*, safety net + -i, adjective suffix)
hasapufia: fairyland (hasapuf, fairy tale + -ia, suffix indicating a place)
itzvidemtethesfash: falciparum (itzvidem, malaria + tethes, to kill + -fash, suffix for agent nouns)
eiskhi: falcate, falciform
yikhesk: falx
iul na Paep: Fanconi's syndrome (iul, syndrome + na, of + Paep, Kankonian surname)
mekmakmi: fantail (Rhipidura)
avimenia: fantasyland (avim, never + en, was + -ia)
mezhmos: fascia (under skin)
shmokbogtzokis: fatberg (shmok, fat + bogtzokis, embolus)
hasusadotairak: fathead, driftfish (Nomeidae) (hasusado, jellyfish + tairak, fish)
popoas: feckless
bibitu: feeder (for feeding animals)
thesketneshi: feedlot (thesket, feed + neshi, land)
rarkrarzand: feedstock (rarkrar, to grind + zand, base)
hefshi: feint; to feint
sobaksadin: fembot (for sex) (borrowing from another planet)
oyeimal: fembot, gynoid (blend of yemalo, robot, and Oreila, name of an ancient goddess of women)
thrishikmoup: fibroid, fibroma (thrishi, fibrous + kmoup, tumor)
tegyul: ficus (from the Ciladian word for fig)
hekhiyi: fiddly (hekhio, finger + -i)
maikrospa: filmstar, movie star (portmanteau of maikros, movie, film, and abospa, star)
th*izopass: finasteride
oph-hekhias: fingerless gloves (oph, hole + hekhio + -as, plural suffix for nouns with soft endings)
titipeu: firebird, scarlet tanager (Piranga olivacea) (borrowing from Povoian)
tzokhsmi: firebomb
virakhtoukhur or virakhkarg: firebox (on steam engine) (virakh, to burn + toukhur, chamber or karg, box)
tzogra: firestone
napa: firmware (borrowing from Javarti, lit. "spirit")
semig-hambir: to fishtail (semig, tail + hambir, to shake)
dzhuegfash: fixer (in photography) (dzhueg, to set (like setting a broken bone) + -fash)
khafta: flagstone
grakhtis: flakka, alpha-pyrrolidinopentiophenone
gedzurvaipos: flatline, asystole (gedzur, flat + vaipos, graph)
muyehorshelis or muyeho for short: flatmate (muye, also, fellow + horshel, apartment + -is)
kraikasadisfash: fleabag (kraikas, flea + adiss, to attract + -fash)
vigrur: flexor (from Ciladian roots: bhig, to bend + rur, muscle)
khardetam: flinty (of a wine) (kharda, flint + adetam, to taste) <----- Word #63,000!
bleta: flitter (Hyarotis)
wasol: floatie (wana, water + solarop, air mattress)
eryahalfash: floodlight, flood (eryahal, to illuminate + -fash)
duwunneshi: floodplain (duwun, flood + neshi, land)
bisuishakti: flophouse (bisui, to hang out + shakti, house)
shmugia: flowerbed
gaitzum: flubber
tropiposs: fluoxetine
seshifti: flyaway (~ hair)
oshmelaouli: flyover (~ country) (oshmela, aerial + oul, only + -i)
dayos-euer-rivas: functional magnetic resonance imaging, fMRI (dayos, icon + euer, to move + rivas, blood)
ukhfker: to fob off, to pawn off (ukh, off + fker as in fkeria, pawnshop or fkeris, pawnbroker)
parutraimemon: folkie (paru, folk music + traimemon, musiclover)
rafski: folksy
seshuik: foodborne (seshui, food + -ik, indicating language or nationality; by analogy with pomoshik, "aerian" or airborne)
dif-gumu: footfall (dif, an onomatopoeia word + gumu, foot)
ambawiri: footman (for carriage) (amba, camel + wiri, man)
tofo: footsie
gumeria: footwork (gumu + -eria, a suffix to make an abstract noun out of a concrete word)
byakhvukhel: forebrain, prosencephalon (from Ciladian roots: byakh, front + bhukhel, brain)
bya: forelimb (from the Ciladian word for arm)
ksaskashtaik: forkful (ksaska, fork + shtaik, worth)
itzutzu: fossa (Cryptoprocta ferox) (borrowed from a local language)
khizezar: fragmentation grenade, hand grenade, frag (khizez, shrapnel + -ar, suffix indicating a way)
helkhizezar: to frag (hel-, prefix for with + khizezar)
eisephel: freeform (eis, any + ephel, shape)
zivdhwelming: freemium (zivd, split, adj. + hwelming, free (not costing anything))
staldikhisila: freeware (borrowing from Javarti: staldi, free + khisila, software)
weishe ezgadeth: Fresnel lens (lit. "jagged lens")
hogo: frontside (in skateboarding/hoverboarding/surfing)
mago: backside (in skateboarding/hoverboarding/surfing)
adshalob: to fuddle, to intoxicate, to get [someone] drunk (on alcohol) (ad-, prefix for for/to + shalob, drunk)
addzhimis: to fuddle, to intoxicate, to stone, to get [someone] stoned or high (on anything other than alcohol) (ad- + dzhimis, high)
tshumkhazhuan: fudgesicle (tshum, fudge + khazhuan, popsicle)
dasizanya: functionalism (theory of the mental faculties) (borrowing from Shaleyan: dasi, to work + zaña, theory)
hebekh: function (carry out a ~)
hebekh-hoero: functionary (hebekh + hoero, grunt)
neobrepta: fusilier (Caesionidae)
ftuskhdzhuegfash: fuser (ftuskh, toner + dzhueg + -fash)
yii*zakhos: fuzzball (yii*, superstring + zakhos, black hole)
♂♥♂♀

kiwikami
roman
roman

Post by kiwikami »

Kxıúmlıí ḳuızuam, Kııslıí ẓuuluax,
Ùtîulturlılıàr maızuax,
Kxa Zıılàllatımlıàx zaızaaza,
Ir Mııllıḷ mas Turıúḳ, Khaılà.

The mountains were green, our world was young,
The moon had not yet been sullied,
No one had yet named any river,
When Durin woke, and he wandered.

I found a reason to actually make color terms for once, and it's translating Tolkien poems so I can sing the Clamavi de Profundus versions of them in Alál in my kitchen at three in the morning. This feels like progress?

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

kiwikami wrote: 08 Mar 2020 09:39 I found a reason to actually make color terms for once,
Yay!
Kxıúmlıí ḳuızuam, Kııslıí ẓuuluax,
Ùtîulturlılıàr maızuax,
Kxa Zıılàllatımlıàx zaızaaza,
Ir Mııllıḷ mas Turıúḳ, Khaılà.
Which one is the word for green?
♂♥♂♀

kiwikami
roman
roman

Post by kiwikami »

Khemehekis wrote: 08 Mar 2020 10:24Which one is the word for green?
It's Kxıúmlıí, the third person plural past tense conjugation of Kxumí 'to be green'.

cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

I've just discovered that in a new language I've been working on for some time, the verb stem for "sail, navigate" will have the shape marīn-, which looks like it's a real world reference but which is in fact derived (almost) regularly from the proto-form *mhari-hiçn- "go with the Oceanic Wind". [:D]

(The proto-form that gives this reflex is actually *mhari-hçn-, but I call that close enough. Also note that the proto-language in question was created for the collaborative world Akana by someone else more than a decade ago...)