Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by sangi39 »

Yeah, this isn't exactly the right forum to be on for intentionally prodding people... [:S]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Dormouse559 wrote: 02 Feb 2020 20:03
qwed117 wrote: 02 Feb 2020 11:04In all honesty, I really do have to stop trying to rile people up
I didn't know this needed to be said, but the Romanization game rules are permissive to promote creativity, not so you can take advantage of them for flamebait. Read through House Rule 2 at the top of this page if you need a reminder.
Yeah ik, I only started doing it after he said "are you idiot" because it was just hilarious. I think the novelty has worn off though, so...
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

qwed117 wrote: 02 Feb 2020 11:04 alas! for I am use the foolish orthography! I have a man slain

In all honesty, I really do have to stop trying to rile people up
???
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

qwed117 wrote: 02 Feb 2020 22:53
Dormouse559 wrote: 02 Feb 2020 20:03
qwed117 wrote: 02 Feb 2020 11:04In all honesty, I really do have to stop trying to rile people up
I didn't know this needed to be said, but the Romanization game rules are permissive to promote creativity, not so you can take advantage of them for flamebait. Read through House Rule 2 at the top of this page if you need a reminder.
Yeah ik, I only started doing it after he said "are you idiot" because it was just hilarious. I think the novelty has worn off though, so...
And he was given a warning for that by Dormouse, so...
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I don't understand why Qwed posted it in this thread. (Not that I have any clue what all of you are talking about, but . . .)
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Khemehekis wrote: 04 Feb 2020 13:33 I don't understand why Qwed posted it in this thread. (Not that I have any clue what all of you are talking about, but . . .)
Because it's in response to something posted in the Forum News thread (which you can't post in, hence we have this thread for posting responses to it), I suppose. Now, said news item was in response to something that happened in yet another thread, which in turn is what's actually being talked about here. Not that it should be that much of anyone else's concern, apart from the involved parties and the board administration.

In general, my take would be that, if someone treats a game thread as such serious business that they'll get genuinely angry over a bit of random silliness, then to an extent, that is their own problem. However, there are all kinds of possible reasons why some stranger you know nothing about might react... unconventionally to stuff you post on the internet, and not all of them are the slightest bit funny. I'm not saying you need to bend over backwards to accommodate absolutely everybody, but neither should you go out of your way to provoke people with things you know are going to provoke them.
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

So... we just moved to a new domain, cbbforum.com. It seems no one is talking about that?

I notice the search function is not working at all at the moment for posts made in the old forum.
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

It appears to have happened within the past hour. I assume people might start talking about it more once more time has passed.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Yeah, I knew about the downtime (I think Xonen mentioned it somewhere public), but didn't realise we were switching domain. I panicked so hard thinking I'd lost loads of Yantas stuff [:P]
Just one time.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

This was unexpected. Thankfully, I heard of this new domain through the grapevineDiscord.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

sangi39 wrote: 04 Mar 2020 22:15Yeah, I knew about the downtime (I think Xonen mentioned it somewhere public), but didn't realise we were switching domain.
Uh, I have no conscious memory of knowing about the downtime (probably because I was too busy last week to really check the board, so I missed Ossicone's notification on it), so if I mentioned it in public at some point... I guess I must have entered one of my mystic clairvoyant trances again? Damn, I thought I had that stuff under control. [:S]
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Ser wrote: 04 Mar 2020 19:59I notice the search function is not working at all at the moment for posts made in the old forum.
Well, it's working at this point.

Not sure how much there is to talk about. New domain, same interface. I knew about the downtime because I saw Ossicone's post. I didn't know there'd be a move. That's about it for me.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote: 05 Mar 2020 15:41
sangi39 wrote: 04 Mar 2020 22:15Yeah, I knew about the downtime (I think Xonen mentioned it somewhere public), but didn't realise we were switching domain.
Uh, I have no conscious memory of knowing about the downtime (probably because I was too busy last week to really check the board, so I missed Ossicone's notification on it), so if I mentioned it in public at some point... I guess I must have entered one of my mystic clairvoyant trances again? Damn, I thought I had that stuff under control. [:S]
No, it was Ossicone, lol. I misremembered, probably through busy-induced tiredness
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Dormouse559 wrote: 05 Mar 2020 18:32
Ser wrote: 04 Mar 2020 19:59I notice the search function is not working at all at the moment for posts made in the old forum.
Well, it's working at this point.

Not sure how much there is to talk about. New domain, same interface. I knew about the downtime because I saw Ossicone's post. I didn't know there'd be a move. That's about it for me.
Yeah, the search function appears to be working now.

Posts seem to go no further back that they did after things were removed to get the Board back up and running again, but wasn't exactly expecting them to reappear anyway. Everything else seems to be working as they should now, and the layout and general interface has remained the same, so it's not too much of a change [:)]
Just one time.
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Xonen wrote: 05 Mar 2020 15:41Uh, I have no conscious memory of knowing about the downtime (probably because I was too busy last week to really check the board, so I missed Ossicone's notification on it), so if I mentioned it in public at some point... I guess I must have entered one of my mystic clairvoyant trances again? Damn, I thought I had that stuff under control. [:S]
Ossicone wrote: The forum has been moved to https://cbbforum.com/. Please update your bookmarks.
Is there a particular reason why it has been moved to this new domain? Plans to bring down aveneca.com? I noticed that the main page of aveneca.com was taken down two years ago or so, but I'm still using some of the resource pages like the X-SAMPA -> IPA converter...
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Ser wrote: 12 Mar 2020 20:39
Xonen wrote: 05 Mar 2020 15:41Uh, I have no conscious memory of knowing about the downtime (probably because I was too busy last week to really check the board, so I missed Ossicone's notification on it), so if I mentioned it in public at some point... I guess I must have entered one of my mystic clairvoyant trances again? Damn, I thought I had that stuff under control. [:S]
Ossicone wrote: The forum has been moved to https://cbbforum.com/. Please update your bookmarks.
Is there a particular reason why it has been moved to this new domain? Plans to bring down aveneca.com? I noticed that the main page of aveneca.com was taken down two years ago or so, but I'm still using some of the resource pages like the X-SAMPA -> IPA converter...
The short version is that our longtime host decided to treat us like shit (which is why half the posts are still missing), which prompted me to find a new one. The old domain was originally planned to be something different than simply a place for the forum, but that didn't end up being the case, so when we moved to the new host, I decided to get a new domain that highlighted the forum better.

The old site will eventually be taken down, but I'll make sure to move the IPA converter over, as people are still using it. I'll make a post when that's done [:)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thank you, Aszev !
Hakaku
MVP
MVP

Post by Hakaku »

Kudos on the move [:)]
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Aszev wrote: 15 Mar 2020 11:43The short version is that our longtime host decided to treat us like shit (which is why half the posts are still missing), which prompted me to find a new one. The old domain was originally planned to be something different than simply a place for the forum, but that didn't end up being the case, so when we moved to the new host, I decided to get a new domain that highlighted the forum better.

The old site will eventually be taken down, but I'll make sure to move the IPA converter over, as people are still using it. I'll make a post when that's done [:)]
Oh, I see. I wonder if the post data on the database backup could be posted publicly, with all personal data stripped off? At the ZBB, we're currently making efforts to do that with what remained of the old forum's database.

Would you mind sharing which host was that? Just to re-evaluate my bias towards working with them, whoever they are...

By the way, there are two X-SAMPA -> IPA converters on aveneca.com. The one I use is XIPA, not JEPAX, although maybe you could just copy both over to the new site.

If you don't mind, could I ask that you add a slight improvement to XIPA? I'd love to have a keyboard shortcut so that I don't need to tab forward to the button, press space, and then tab backwards to copy the result and then again to go back to the input area, since I constantly end up doing that. (And if anyone else uses that page, they're probably moving the mouse to do the same anyway.)

Just to make it easier for you, I figured out how to do it. You can simply insert this listener below at the end of the <script> section in the <head> of xipa.html, and then just add a note like "<p>Press Ctrl+Alt+i to convert and copy to clipboard in one step.</p>" (or change the button text to "X-SAMPA - IPA (ctrl+alt+i)" or the like).

Code: Select all

/* keyboard shortcut: convert and copy to clipboard */
window.addEventListener("keydown", function(event) {
  var key = event.which || event.keyCode;
  if (event.ctrlKey && event.altKey && key == 73) { //73 == 'i'
    x2i();
    document.conv.ipa.select()
    document.execCommand('copy');
    document.conv.xsampa.focus();
  }
}, false);
If you want to have a keyboard shortcut for copying to clipboard on JEPAX too, you can also just add the following listener at the end of the scriptz.js file (but I don't use JEPAX):

Code: Select all

/* keyboard shortcut: copy to clipboard */
window.addEventListener("keydown", function(event) {
  var key = event.which || event.keyCode;
  if (event.ctrlKey && event.altKey && key == 73) { //73 == 'i'
    document.getElementById("translateBox").select();
    document.execCommand('copy');
    document.getElementById("writeBox").focus();
  }
}, false);
Also, the x2i() function used there doesn't have Chao tone letters (_T 'top', _H 'high', _M 'mid', _L 'low' and _B 'bottom' for ˥ ˦ ˧ ˨ ˩ respectively). It'd be good to add those.

I know X-SAMPA doesn't have a standard way to do the coarticulation tiebar because John Wells (the creator of X-SAMPA) thought the IPA had made a mistake in assigning a diacritic to distinguish affricates from segment sequences ([t͡ɕi] vs. [tɕi]) instead of making one for disjointed articulation ([tɕi] vs. [t-ɕi]. In his view, affricate-like sequences of the same POA should be assumed to be affricates. Unfortunately, he does seem to have forgotten of the existence of coarticulated consonants like [k͡p]... Could I have a non-standard extension for that? Maybe _) as the code.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I am still hoping to restore the old posts back to the forum. But I have been pretty busy the past few months and haven’t had the time.