What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Creyeditor »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 28 Mar 2020 12:09 Today I finished work on a script!
Spoiler:
I really like the look of it. It looks very Chinese in style, but still somehow like Hangeul in its composition. And for some reason it also reminds me of Devanagari in a very abstract sense.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Now that I have decided that Pazmat's two sets of verbal person endings aren't arbitrary but are specificly aorist/perfective and imperfective, I'm doing some extra stuff with that.

For a while L,-S formed a regular ol' present tense, usually with imperfective/progressive meaning:

tor- "hit" > tārona "I am hitting"
wers- "defend" > wūseza "you are defending"
lagh- "ruin, destroy" > lēghatha "she is destroying"

However, this with the aorist endings forms what I could only describe as a mirative--it's used to describe something surprising that has JUST happened (usually non-volitionally). For instance, if a glass fell off a table, you'd say oycuyū! "it fell!" and not oycuvyū which sounds like the falling had happened quite a while ago or that someone intentionally made it fall. As you might expect, this is most common on intransitive verbs: iśtrā kēppayū! "the car (just) stopped working!"; nējhrā ngēyayū "the sun (just) came out/started shining" (as opposed to nējhrā ngēyatha which is more "the sun is currently coming out (but hasn't finished yet)")
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Kankonian now has a way of saying "climate hawk": seliphashamrebutzis, or selreb for short. The first part, seliphasham, is the word for hardline ideology. It is borrowed from Shaleyan, wherefrom most of Kankonian's words for political ideology and political science are borrowed. It is made up of seli (pure) + phasham (ideology). The second part, rebutzu, is the Kankonian word for climate. Finally, the suffix -is, indicating a person, has been added to the end.

Kankonian also has a word for "psychopomp": hwopagos. This is a very old word, first recorded millennia ago.

Finally, Kankonian now has a verb "to frape": katelkolgud. Katel means "board", and is extended also to mean "wall" (on a social networking site). The verb kolgud means to hijack (like hijacking a project). So, wall-hijack.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

fleshed out the syllabary for Baywatch, which has a logogram system with one picture for each syllable. previously i had only had about 20 glyphs because i could only find about 20 monosyllabic words in itx lexicon, but i decided to just go ahead and randomly add more monosyllabic words anyway, and make a decision later on which ones are real and which were loaned from a neighboring culture. they cant all be native readings because the diachronics has no paths available to certain syllables in word-initial position, meaning that these glyphs could never have been standalone words.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Baywatch? Moonshine? How do you come up with those crazy names for your conlangs, Pabappa? [:P]
♂♥♂♀

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I use exonyms for all my newer projects. Originally, it was partly out of frustration from having to change the name of the language everytime I changed the language itself, and partly a reflection of the in-world setting, wherein each tribe used exonyms to refer to themselves when communicating with other tribes. This in turn comes from the advanced political setup of the time, where each tribe had one or more political parties to represent them, and though in theory these parties were meant to be global, in practice almost all of the political parties were confined to a single tribe and thus came to be associated with a single language as well.

The word Baywatch seems to have been coined for the TV show; I didnt realize that when I picked it as the name of a language. Both it and Moonshine are meant literally: Baywatch is the language of people who live on the extreme west coast and focus their economy around fishing and trading in their bays; Moonshine is the language of a group of people who fled their homeland and came to have largely nocturnal habits.

I havent changed the names of Poswa and Pabappa because they exist at a time nearly 5,000 years after the other languages above, in which human society has long since broken down, and politics no longer has any significant presence in daily life. But even Poswa and Pabappa are no longer truly legitimate names in their own languages .... Poswa never really was legitimate, and Pabappa should be Pabapa ... but I am keeping the seven-letter version as the external name of the language since I'm so used to it and it could still technically refer to the language .... it's a bit like calling German "Germanic".
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

That sounds like a good plan.

I have some planets and peoples with either no common language, or a language with a very non-human like phonology. Some of them are known by different exonyms on different planets, and I use a Terran-language-based name for them in Lehola Intergalactic English (Cetonia and Mysticoidea for my cetacean sapient planets, Psittacotia for my planet of parrotpeople, Nepentha for my carnifern planet). Other peoples and languages have a proxy language: a language spoken by a people with human-like vocal anatomy through which all the things, people, creatures, places, religions, etc. of that other planet are named. The planet Kwemos, for instance, is inhabited by a people called the gwuelatl, whose language just soinds like a lot of glubbing to human ears. The words "Kwemos" and "gwuelatl", the words for all their military ranks, the names of the other species in the class that includes gwuelatls -- they all come from a language of Kwemos' neighboring planet Gwasouth.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

On Saturday, I did both J- and K-words. It's a short segment of the alphabet, but I still managed to get more than 50 new words.

shaplap: jerkin
faliuprekoit: jetliner (faliuvong, airliner + the burger morph -prekoit from abaprekoit, helicopter)
pmopi: jiggy (with it) (pmop [ad], to get down with + -i, adjective-forming suffix)
tzidzhik: joss stick
khoidas: junket (gambling)
mutz-herezfash: kart, go-kart (mutz, low + herez, to race + -fash, suffix for agent nouns)
broish*a: kasha
groiborg: kegel
tekyaphil: keratoconus (from Ciladian roots: tekyaph, cone + il, eye)
khatal-kmindez: keratosis (khatal, skin + kmindez, keratin)
pardar: ketch
dedyamda: ketosis (from Ciladian roots: dedyam, to dive + da, body)
addedyamai: ketogenic (ad-, prefix for to/for + dedyamda + -i)
mogrizh: kibble
shifadkash: kickstand (for cellphone) (shifad, to prop up + kash, bar)
khet*oskhospakeuerfash (or the initialism khezke pop ehis): kinase, phosphokinase (khet*oskhospak, phosphate (itself from khet, the Ciladian root for five + *oskhos, phosphorus + pak, salt) + euer, to move + -fash)
yidewanalikodud: kinetochore (borrowing from Shaleyan: yidewan, chromosome + liko, piece + dud, split)
troikeria: kitchenware (troikos, to cook + -eria, suffix to make an abstract noun from a concrete word)
Kling-an: Klingon (borrowing from Earth)
Zhekhiakuruk: Klondike (source of wealth) (from the name of a bat cave that turned out to be a rich gold mine: zhekhas, bat + -ia, suffix for places + kuruk, cave)
pnoinia: knapweed

And an idiom:

yayar ash *emuku: to sing Kumbaya (lit. "to sing on the hill")
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

I'm very pleased to announce that several years' worth of the most diligent procrastination imaginable, plus a little bit of actual work, have finally paid off!

I've uploaded the revision of the University of Auntimoany Ethnographical Questionnaire!

It's still quite a short and manageable document for all you geopoets, worldbuilders, game designers, DMs, writers, etc. etc. Several new sections, loads of new questions, all with the aim of helping us all make better, more detailed invented worlds and cultures!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 08 Apr 2020 06:10 I'm very pleased to announce that several years' worth of the most diligent procrastination imaginable, plus a little bit of actual work, have finally paid off!

I've uploaded the revision of the University of Auntimoany Ethnographical Questionnaire!

It's still quite a short and manageable document for all you geopoets, worldbuilders, game designers, DMs, writers, etc. etc. Several new sections, loads of new questions, all with the aim of helping us all make better, more detailed invented worlds and cultures!
A great update! I especially enjoyed reading the section on onomastics.

However, I did notice a misspelling in the questionnaire. By "extracelendrical", I believe you mean "extracalendrical".
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Also:

"Are they considered mentally or morally deficient, a danger to the state, or is there some other rational?"

Ought to be "rationale".
♂♥♂♀

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Today, I thought a lot more about Arculese. Don't know that I accomplished much. But I thought: what if it were more like Oscan/Umbrian? That could be cool. I've started drafting some models. Some day I may actually post a thread on it. [:)]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today, I did L-words, and have over 100 new Kankonian words.

wophoyostzisyut: lactase (wophoyos, lactose + tzisyut, enzyme)
swesisefui*: Lactobacillus (swesi, milk; lactic + sefui*, bacillus)
wusas na Mpheshitia: Laffer curve (lit. "curve of Mpheshitia", Mpheshitia being a name from the Kankonian continent of Kupulshas)
holaskaramaik: lakeland (holas, lake + karamaik, terrain)
globolis: lamplighter (globol, street lamp + -is, suffix to indicate a person)
kavskiya: landscaping
hilis-suzu: lanolin, wool wax (hilis, yellow + suzu, wool)
grapha: Lassa fever (from a language of Kupulshas)
ayasagrapha: Lassa virus (from a language of Kupulshas)
*antas: latissimus dorsi, lats
themetzizatal: laughingstock (themetz, to laugh + izatal, butt (of a joke))
wakakishi: laughingthrush (from a native name)
duimorgen: layaway (dui, later + morgen, to buy)
enzesslakh: laydown (enzes, to land + slakh, to throw)
behusheria: layup (behush, layer + -eria, suffix to make an abstract noun out of a concrete word)
tridashorkatel: leaderboard (tridashor, top + katel, board)
venitlaiskat: to get started on the right foot (venit, good + laiskat, page)
venitlaiskati: leadoff (adj.) (venitlaiskat + -i, adjective suffix)
Laiptzikh: Leipzig (borrowing from German)
spadinkaraki: letterbox (spadin, stripe + karak, black + -i)
udushdwerd: letterhead (udush, opening + dwerd, print)
halihemransatzis: leveler (hal, all + ihem, towards + ransatz, average; middle-class + -is)
graupsk: ley
nyumephinas: lifemate (borrowing from Shaleyan: ñume, life + phinas, traveler)
shlimkarg: lightbox (shlim, to glow + karg, box)
*aitzartvai: liminal, inceptive, inchoative (*aitzart va, start to, begin to + -i)
vomakosskhar: limiter (circuit) (vomakos, strength + skhar, guard)
iligwi: lindworm
nonatmyoerni: linoleic (nonatmyoern, linseed oil + -i)
marathestimyoern: linolenic acid (marathesti, oenothera + myoern, oil)
setzitzi pomoshtoimeofi: lipoic acid (lit. "aerobic acid")
bmoups: lipoma
boiriwabengis: litigator (boiri, lawsuit, litigation; to sue, to litigate + wabengis, prosecutor)
dagangrotas: lobsterman, lobsterwoman (portmanteau of dagangra, lobster and vipotas, fisherman)
tzkhivi: lode (mineral)
tarsyamab: logos (borrowing from Ciladian: tar, to draw; to draw a line; logic + syamab, speech, oration)
suvunsyamab: ethos (borrowing from Ciladian: subhun, knowledge + syamab)
phirsyamab: pathos (borrowing from Ciladian: phir: to feel; feeling + syamab)
denitstoemar: longhand (denit, to spell + stoem, in full + -ar, suffix to indicate a way)
akatzulpa: longhouse (borrowing from a language of the Tzelshas Islands)
zivir: longline (back-formation from zivirov, hemline; -ov is a suffix indicating degree, but amazingly, I did NOT have a word "zivir" to go with "zivirov" until today)
skrimfash: looper (skrim, to arch + -fash, agent suffix)
skrimfashrami: looper (caterpillar) (skrimfash + rami, larva)
skrimfashokh: looper (imago) (skrimfash + -okh, suffix for an adult animal)
shupam: lordosis
halseri: lossless (hal-, prefix for all + seres, to keep, to maintain + -i)
betzith-bwolwu: lovelight (betzith, love + bwolwu, eyes)
yehade mutz: lowrider (car) (lit. "low car")
yehademutzis: lowrider (driver) (yehade mutz + -is)
soatra: lubber's hole
wuweu: to lull to sleep (related to wuwaiwis, lullaby)
salyahal: luminescence (sal, the Ciladian root for light + yahal, the native Kankonian word for light)
zhayim: luminizer

I am now halfway through with my journey through the alphabet.
♂♥♂♀

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Started my Arculese scratchpad. Will post soon. [:)]
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Upon realizing that a proximative could easily be used to show possession ("a book is beside him" > "he has a book"), I thought to do something like that with Pazmat. Except Pazmat already has a verb se- "to have". What to do?

I've decided to merge the two. The proximative construction is used when the person is actually physically holding the object in question or is literally a part of them:

vatī vṛgī kros
eye-DEF.PL blue-ATHEM-DEF.PL 2S.PROX
You have blue eyes

dumatār cṛsūrēyyos
firearm girl-DEF.SG-PROX
That girl has a gun (i.e she is physically holding it right now, or it is at least on her person or nearby her)

But se- is used for abstract things that cannot be physically held, or things a person has that aren't actually on their person or nearby them, or things too big to actually physically hold (like a house):

dumatārya cṛsūrō seyū
firearm-ACC girl-DEF.SG-PROX have-3S.PERF
That girl has a gun (i.e it is not on her person--perhaps she has it at home, or it's in her car, or whatever)

Ā, ḥesōya Sadhakējīya seyarī!
EXCL house-INDEF-ACC NAME-ADJ-ACC have-DESIR-1S.PERF
Ah, I wish I had a house in Sadhakajā!

Matrītāmi krat kānasāya waśāya krīm sīyena na murayramā karā
say-PASS.ACT.PTCPL-DEF.SG-INSTR 2S.GEN thought-DEF.SG-ACC sole/alone-DEF.SG-ACC 2S.DAT have-PROG-1S.IMPERF REL intensely.stupid 2S.NOM
Given what you have just said* the sole thought I hold right now concerning you is that you're a absurdly foolish buffoon
*: actually "given the things just having been said by you"

(note the use of the imperfective on se- there--the reason being is that the thought being held is only of this current moment...hopefully.)
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

On Sunday, I did M-words for Kankonian. I'll share a sampling later.

But right now, I just want to tell you that I created this list of plant words, just in time for Earth Day.

https://www.frathwiki.com/Plant_families
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

A sampling of my M-words. I got more than 230 new words when I did the M's.

menzhokhop: macaron
gadmud: macrocephaly (from Ciladian roots: gad, big + mud, head)
kaluiobadiya: macromolecule (kalui, together + obadiya, molecule)
adayom: mailbag (adayes, mail + -om, suffix for a bag of something)
hhargasu: maitre d', headwaiter (borrowed from some exotic language)
tshopekava: mandala
akonodzo: manuka, tea tree (an exotic borrowing)
grauski: to maraud
apirshgeyes: marketeering (apirsh, to squash, to crush, to flatten + geyes, to market; marketing)
pousera: marmite (pot)
yoshaisin: masque
mumbakh: massif
ferea-mui-esmiya: masterclass (lit. "critique-and-learn")
frizhanspeshnairi: matchy, color-coördinated (frizhan, color + speshnair, to coördinate (an outfit) + -i, adjective suffix)
dekhlelrelakh: math competition (from Ciladian roots: dekhlel, mathematics + relakh, contest)
dekhlelphyud: math team (from Ciladian roots: dekhlel + phyud, team)
dekhlelrelakhis: mathlete (dekhlelrelakh + -is, suffix to indicate a person)
pmameria: meatpacking (pmamas, lunchmeat + -eria, suffix that makes an abstract noun out of a concrete word)
edmabur: medulla oblongatga (from Ciladian roots: ed, two + mabur, tube)
pipai: to meemaw
emenosvidu*: season of life (emenos, life + vidu*, season)
emenosvidu*ar: megadrought (emenosvidu* + -ar, suffix that denotes a way)
keisis: megastar (keisi, everywhere; ubiquitous + -is)
gauploupa: melon-headed whale
skahakhwana: meltwater (from ice) (skahakh, ice + wana, water)
ubruwana: meltwater (from snow) (ubru, snow + wana)
Hatuah: Menkar, Menkab (Alpha Ceti) (from local name)
ihemoelishe: metabolite (ihem, towards + oelishe, metabolism)
ihemoelishya: metabolomics (ihemoelishe + -ya, suffix for a scientific study)
latazeria: metalwork (lataz, metal + -eria)
ihemheleyin: meteoroid (ihem + heleyin, meteor)
ortyohowis: methanol, methyl alcohol (ort, wood + yohowis, alcohol (in its chemistry sense, not booze))
ghrupar: methotrexate, amethopterin, MTX
esefyulio: methylmercury (esef, methyl + yulio, mercury)
tharorebutzu: microclimate (tharo, local + rebutzu, climate)
luskasyanakass: microdermabrasion (luskas, light + yanakass, dermabrasion)
vilbakyu: to microdose (from Ciladian roots: bhil, tiny + bakyu, cup; dose)
gyuvbakyu: megadose (from Ciladian roots: gyubh, huge, giant, enormous + bakyu)
khitabsir: microfilament (from Ciladian roots: khitab, messenger; angel + sir, hair)
miuhwem: microfinance (borrowing from Palang: miù, poor + hwém, finance)
miupa: microfinancing (borrowing from Palang: miù, poor + pa, to finance)
klekpakar: microglia (klek, immune + pakar, glia; glial cell)
remihaosos: microgravity, micro-g environment (remi, almost + haos, weightless + -os, suffix equivalent to -ness)
pieskrannatos: microgreens (pies, small, little + krannatos, greens (in turn made up of kran, green + natos, matter))
vilnakhdekat: micrometer (from Ciladian roots: bhil + nakh, to measure + dekat, machine)
araroa: microraptor
imikibuwan: microRNA, miRNA (borrowing from Shaleyan: imi, tiny + kibuwan, RNA)
vinzilniangi: microtonal (vinzil, sliver + niang, tone + -i)
zgwoitz: midazolam
shiralki: middleware (borrowing from Javarti: xi, new + ralki, use)
karmasdazbomar: midline (karmas, body + dazbomar, bisector)
nezhdrus: milab (borrowing from Dantonese)
spudrizhas (pl.): mincemeat
slibankh: to misalign
hwahaemof: misperception (hwaha, funhouse mirror + emof, sight, vision)
bzirk: to misrule (make a bad judicial decision)
hevand: mitre (shape)
oelol: mocktail, virgin cocktail (oel, without + ol, alcohol, liquor)
troikyazurmas: modernist cuisine, molecular gastronomy (troikya, cuisine, cooking + zurmas, science)
terikuph: to modulate (a signal) (from Ciladian roots: terik: to flaunt; to wave (a flag); signal + uph, to carry)
phukiret: to demodulate (terikuph spelt backwards)
terikuphfash: modulator (terikuph + -fash, agent noun suffix)
zedgurgzugiz: millrind, moline (zedgurg, millstone + zugiz, cross, crucifix)
noifeinhen: moneylender (borrowing from Palang: noi: money + féin: to lend + hen, person)
nidsuvun: special knowledge (borrowing from Ciladian: nid: special; specific + subhun, knowledge)
nidsuvuned: monograph (borrowing from Ciladian: nidsubhun + -ed, suffix that forms a noun meaning "collection of")
zhogudam Mog: Moog synthesizer (zhogudam, synthesizer + Mog, the Terran name Moog)
mogudam: Moog synthesizer (portmanteau of Mog and zhogudam)
puearanzefash: moonraker, moonsail (puea, wind + ranze, to chase + -fash)
shlivshlav: moonwalk; to moonwalk (dance)
skhuskhuzu: mopane (borrowing from some exotic language)
Moraga: Moraga (Terran borrowing)
gwagwanatla: moringa (borrowing from some exotic language)
gwagwanatlanakhi: moringaceous (gwagwanatla + nakha, clan; (taxonomic) family + -i)
dowayelek: mosaic (genetic), mosaicism (borrowing from Shaleyan: doway, cell + elek, together; synthesis)
meblaband: motile (me-, negative prefix + blaband, sessile)
dzhibaso: motorman (electric train driver) (some exotic borrowing)
skiktzes: mouthparts
yayayi: mouthy
blombarmeya (pl. blombarmeyez): muleteer (blombar, donkey + meya, person)
swaskapeltelhis: muralist (swaska, mural + peltelhis, painter)
besizhilia: muscovite, common mica, potash mica
zaigripumesha (zaigri for short): Muscovy duck (borrowing from Povoian)
dukh: musicale (borrowing from Ciladian: to touch; to play (an instrument))
ozuvwiyi: musically talented (ozuvwi, music + -i)
oelwindibadkar: mycoplasma (oel, without + windi, cell + badku, wall + -ar)
kmoup-vudzhru: myeloma (kmoup, tumor + vudzhru, bone marrow)
phomum-tzazhur: myocardium (phomum, muscle + tzazhur, heart)
hiphmis: myoclonus
oskhosrur: myoglobin (oshkos, oxygen + rur, the Ciladian word for muscle)
finis uvpar: Myotis (lit. "winged mouse")
adpufi-phomum: myotonia (adpufi, to loosen + phomum)

And an idiom:

e*a amasi dukhar e sidos: to change horses in midstream (lit. "to enter a different spacecraft in outer space")

Now, you may have noticed that my signature now reads "64,000 words and counting" instead of 63,000. What was word #64,000, you ask? Well, I'm going to let you in on something. Whenever I add the name of a Terran city, I add the name of a new Kankonian city to balance it out, so there aren't more words for Earth's place names than there are for the native place names of Kankonia. While I was doing the M's, I added Kankonian words for Marin, Menlo Park, Monterey, Moraga, Mosul, and Muscat. I then came up with some port cities and their names on Kankonia: Osaula (in Durben), Mankhavir (in southern Hegheos), Sösazueti (in Povoi), and Borpenshmantz (in northern Hegheos). Another city in southern Hegheos was Sedetakh. I then thought up the Tzeimowia, a coffee-growing region of Hegheos (from tzeimoa, coffee + -ia, a suffix for place names). The five major towns in Tzeimowia are Shoda, Arapida, Menkel, Khagrasah, and Aduphel. The word Shoda was word #64,000.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 24 Apr 2020 09:11 Now, you may have noticed that my signature now reads "64,000 words and counting" instead of 63,000. What was word #64,000, you ask? Well, I'm going to let you in on something. Whenever I add the name of a Terran city, I add the name of a new Kankonian city to balance it out, so there aren't more words for Earth's place names than there are for the native place names of Kankonia. While I was doing the M's, I added Kankonian words for Marin, Menlo Park, Monterey, Moraga, Mosul, and Muscat. I then came up with some port cities and their names on Kankonia: Osaula (in Durben), Mankhavir (in southern Hegheos), Sösazueti (in Povoi), and Borpenshmantz (in northern Hegheos). Another city in southern Hegheos was Sedetakh. I then thought up the Tzeimowia, a coffee-growing region of Hegheos (from tzeimoa, coffee + -ia, a suffix for place names). The five major towns in Tzeimowia are Shoda, Arapida, Menkel, Khagrasah, and Aduphel. The word Shoda was word #64,000.
I did indeed notice the ticker tick over to another thousand! You friend are a regular articulated juggernaut of lexical wonder!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 24 Apr 2020 13:14 I did indeed notice the ticker tick over to another thousand! You friend are a regular articulated juggernaut of lexical wonder!
I'll take that as a compliment!

And yesterday I did N and O for Kankonian. Got more than 200 new words.

esitmekholfash: nameplate (esit, name + mekhol, to hold + -fash, agent noun suffix)
selizurmas: nanoscience (seli-, clipped from seliso, nanotech + zurmas, science)
ksahadra: natron
prindidelik: neoclassical (prin, new + didelik, classical)
phurshyular: neoclassical (from Ciladian roots: phur, new + shyular, ancient)
nihesmushurv: neocortex (nihes, outer + mushurv, cerebral cortex)
*abagwa: neoprene (a borrowing from a language of Gwasouth)
yebimya: nephrology (yebim, kidney + -ya, suffix for a scientific study)
guspyilus: nephron
tetmatmyoern: neroli oil (tetmat, bitter orange + myoern, oil)
ritzi* or ritziverimi*: nestling, quab (ritzi, nest + -i*, suffix indicating young of an animal; verim means bird)
noguia: netherworld (nogu, neither + -ia, suffix for a place)
toermang: neti pot (borrowing from a language of Dumang)
zinikwi*inami: neurodegenerative (zinikwi, neuron + *inam, death + -i, adjective suffix)
vukhelram: neuroimaging, brain imaging (from Ciladian roots: bhukhel, brain + ram, picture)
vukhelramis: neuroradiologist (vukhelram + -is, suffix for a person)
osatotai: peripheral nerve (osat, electron + otai, nerve)
osatoitaikesos: neuropathy (osatotai + kesos, disease)
naotaiphitenya: neuropsychiatric (na, of + otai + phitenya, psychiatry)
shyemdagis: neutrophil (from Ciladian roots: shyem, to eat + dagis, unit, cell)
avimloyia: nevermore, never again (avim, never + loyia, again)
gashar: extra (newspaper edition) (gashi, afternoon + -ar, suffix indicating a way)
genet gashar: extra! extra!, wuxtry! (clipped form of morgenet, from morgen, to buy + -et, imperative suffix + gashar)
genetgashis: newsboy, newsgirl, newsie, newspaper hawker (from the cry genet gashar + -is)
blemaskketket: newsfeed (blemask, news + ketket, ticker tape)
throhisnazraltamin: newspaperman, newspaperwoman (throhis, newspaper + nazraltamin, staffer)
ditsooul: niacinamide, nicotinamide (dit, pimple + ranet na Sooul, niacin, vitamin B3)
kosdetelshid: nightshift (kos, dark + detelshid, shift)
fiztalya: nitroglycerine
zayaoskhosoelinzhomkhiv or zoozh for short: nitrosamine (zaya, nitrogen + oshkos, oxygen + oelinzhomkiv, alkyl)
memelasdag: nondiscrimination (memelas, discrimination + dag, avoidance)
arigubaks: nonnative (~ speaker) (arig, tongue + ubaks, foreign)
zishbad: nonproliferation (borrowing from Achel: zish, spread, profileration; to spread, to proliferate + bad, against)
bamwisi: nursemaid (bam, two, as a prefix, vice- or second-in-command + wisi, nanny)
wash vitzitz: OAB, overactive bladder (lit. "constant bladder")
ophkhudan: camera obscura (oph, hole + khudan, shadow)
zanzas-tzadruk: occlusion (zanzas, teeth + tzadruk, alligator)
zanzas-bushevin: malocclusion (zanzas + bushevin, crocodile)
groteshen: to offload (pass along work or a problem to someone else) (grot, pebble + eshen, to carry)
ukhkankon (adj.); ukhkankon we (adv.): offworld (ukh, off + kankon, root of Kankonia)
piok: piok (unit of electrical resistance whereby a potential difference of one taakh causes a current of one gaku) (from a Kankonian surname)
taakh: taakh (unit of voltage whereby a current of one uses one ootza of power) (from a Kankonian surname)
gaku: gaku (unit of current whereby two straight parallel conductors placed one akhatz apart produce between themselves a force equal to 1e-7 ghara per akhatz of length) (from a Kankonian surname)
malvelug remi: old-timey (lit. "imitation old-fashioned")
vzhuan: ombré
nwei ang oi: operetta (from a language of Chatony; ang oi for comparison is "opera" and pa ang oi is "musical")
ding ang oi: oratorio (from a language of Chatony)
pyu: to orchestrate (borrowing from Ciladian: to sew; to orchestrate)
khupispyu: orchestration (borrowing from Ciladian: khupis, music + pyu)
byudzhis: organoid (shaped like a body part)
zhioshifad: to orient oneself (zhio, oneself + shifad, to prop)
museshis: originalist (museshi we, as intended + -is)
envwetzkarmans: orthosis (envwetz, to wear + karmans, machine)
envwetzkarmansya: orthotics (envwetzkarmans + -ya)
hesboskath: outboard (outside the hull) (hes, out + boskath, hull)
dagahambi: outboard (at a studio) (dagahamb, add-on; plug-in + -i)
naihatikadash: outbuilding (naihati, side + kadash, building)
bahaigedzur: to outclass (bahai, up + gedzur, flat; cut (a ~ above the rest))
piouthluhatshaf: to outcompete (piouth, amanuensis test, used in piouth na yetzuwa, survival of the fittest (lit. "amanuensis test of nature") + luhatshaf, to surpass)
habkeb: flank (of a bastion)
merhabkeb: to outflank (mer, around + habkeb)
sliviniluhatshaf: to outmaneuver (slivini, agile + luhatshaf)
parayihil: to outrank (parai, over + ihil, rank, place, placement)
hathukhkratshi: outré, out there (hathukh, duck + kratsh, purple + -i)
paraikhrip: to outscore (parai + khrip, to score, to land a score)
khomrehoar: ovenproof (khom-, prefix for -proof + rehoar, oven)
engroermav: to overdress (en-, prefix for wearing + groermav, stuffy)
stiiik: to overemphasize (stiik, to draw out, with an extra -i-)
yahalhugho: overexposure (yahal, light + hugho, storm)
lembraun: overextension (lem, excessive; excessively, too + braun, to apply to)
adphalush: to overfill (ad-, prefix to to + phalush, to spill)
tzizwise*: overgrowth
halkhrav: to overharvest (hal-, prefix for all + khrav, to scrape)
shporkhabami: overindulgent (with food) (shporkh, to splurge + abam, to eat + -i)
pmikhef or pmidef: overlie, to (the mother overlay her baby)
inadin zhephafre: overmatch (lit. "uneven match")
remiadshupuz: to overmix (remi, almost + ad- + shupuz, purée)
zhutogra: zhutogra (mythical grinder that would produce copious amounts of a requested object)
zhutogreria: overproduction (zhutogra + -eria, suffix to form an abstract noun out of a concrete word)
farphodos: overshoot (far, beyond + phodos, moon)
pung-a: overbought (borrowing from Palang: púng, blowfish; to blow up, to inflate + á, to buy)
pungvu: oversold (borrowing from Palang: púng + , to sell)
zhizhv: to overstimulate <---- the first Kankonian word ending in -zhv!
phshloufi: overstuffed
hoimain: to overtax, to tax to death; overtaxation (borrowing from Palang: hoi, storm + máin, to tax; taxation)
lemparmel: to overvalue (lem + parmel, to cherish, to treasure)
dardskitsh: to undervalue (dard, dirt, soil + skitsh, to ditch)
*oogi: owl-eyed
adoskhosslipfash: oxidant (adoskhosslip, to oxidize + -fash)
osatvadutzisyut: oxidase (osatvadu, oxidation + tzisyut, enzyme)
salkata: oxybenzone
♂♥♂♀

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Its bothered me for a few years that Pabappa has nominal posssession markers but doesnt have person marking on verbs. There might be some language somewhere that does this, but that doesnt mean I should. So I created, for now, a 1st person marker -pu and a 2nd person marker -wa. There is also a standalone 1st person pronoun wu, and the 2nd person pronoun may be one of a few possibilities, including just being wa again. Lastly, Ive retooled the nominal possession markers, since they have to derive from the same source as the others, .... so 1st person possessive is -po or -pa (I could go either way), and 2nd person is yet again -wa.

It sounds really underwhelming but this is important because I wasnt happy with the way the language was before, and because I did it without reusing any of the ideas from any of my other languages .... the derivation of the endings are unique to Pabappa. (They mean "one speaking" for 1st person and "one listening" for 2nd person).
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.