The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 7367
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar »

I know I'm several days late in seeing this, but as others have said, I'm very sorry to hear about your cat, Salmoneus. I am, however, glad to hear that it wasn't generally too traumatic of an experience, although some lingering "weird feelings" are, of course, to be expected. Best wishes going forward.

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2285
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 09:36
Location: California über alles

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote:
07 May 2020 10:16
Aszev wrote:
07 May 2020 10:04
His post in reply to sangi having to put his pet down suggests that this is not the case.
Possibly! Possibly not. The reading is somewhat ambiguous. I'd leave the clarification for Khemehekis!
As I indicate in this post, I have never owned a cat or a dog. However, I have owned a number of rodent pets. I watched them approach the end of their natural lifespans, and let them all die naturally. (One hamster expired on my fifteenth birthday.)

I could tell these pets were getting old by their hoarier fur and their ever-longer dingleberries, but what I really noticed was the way they would go to the sipper less often and lose interest in their wheels. They became thinner, and like His Holiness ate less than before. I still held them, making sure to wash my hands properly beforehand so's not to hasten their death, and gave them love. In the end, my pets died on their own. The last few months of their life were less happy than their lives before, but I do not regret keeping them alive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Salmoneus, what is your late cat's name?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 66,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

User avatar
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 3764
Joined: 20 Nov 2014 02:27

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by qwed117 »

Not a Swedish speaker, but I suspect that the IPA on this wiktionary entry might not be right. Any confirmation? What should it be?
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

User avatar
Aszev
admin
admin
Posts: 1381
Joined: 11 May 2010 05:46
Location: ꜱᴇ

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Aszev »

qwed117 wrote:
13 May 2020 05:11
Not a Swedish speaker, but I suspect that the IPA on this wiktionary entry might not be right. Any confirmation? What should it be?
I would write it as /²trœsːka/ (though the length is technically not phonemic).

User avatar
cedh
MVP
MVP
Posts: 352
Joined: 07 Sep 2011 22:25
Location: Tübingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by cedh »

I just came across an AI that invents new English words and writes dictionary definitions for them.
noun.
biofabrication
the manufacture of human clothes and other products using natural materials
"the manufacture of clothes is among the main activities that have allowed us to develop standards in the field of biofabrication"
noun.
dysgamma
a genetic defect that results in abnormally low serotonin levels
"a child diagnosed with dysgamma"
verb.
friddle
abruptly fail to live up to what has been stated
"the group friddled around its budget numbers"
adjective.
reculpatory
(of a discovery or account) showing the truth or truthfulness of something
"a videotape documenting the reculpatory evidence"

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2675
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas »

cedh wrote:
15 May 2020 19:05
I just came across an AI that invents new English words and writes dictionary definitions for them.
adjective.
reculpatory
(of a discovery or account) showing the truth or truthfulness of something
"a videotape documenting the reculpatory evidence"
Interesting! Kind of hit or miss. I suspect the AI hasn't learned what culpatory (<culpatus) means or how to apply re- to a word.

Since exculpatory evidence is evidence that tends to take away guilt, or to demonstrate that guilt doesn't apply; reculpatory evidence would be evidence that renews guilt.

Truth or untruth notwithstanding.
noun.
biofabrication
the manufacture of human clothes and other products using natural materials
"the manufacture of clothes is among the main activities that have allowed us to develop standards in the field of biofabrication"

Biofabrication is actually a word: The automated generation of biologically functional products with structural organization from living cells, bioactive molecules, biomaterials, cell aggregates such as micro-tissues, or hybrid cell-material constructs, through bioprinting or bioassembly and subsequent tissue maturation processes.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1917
Joined: 19 Sep 2011 19:37

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Salmoneus »

There's a clamour at the moment for Dominic Cummings (basically our current version of Karl Rove) to resign or be sacked. I won't get into the politics of it [see brief factual summary below if you're interested], but it's just delightful that one of the hashtags on twitter calling for Dominic Cummings to be sacked is #dominicgoings.

Particularly as the call is for him to be sacked over his comings and goings.

Small rays of sunshine!

[spoiler: he won't go]


[factual summary:
Spoiler:
the UK lockdown rules, which Cummings is believed to have pesonally OKed, said at the time that: there can be no travel for any non-essential purposes (this has now been relaxed to allow travel for exercise); those who have symptoms must remain home and not leave even for essential purposes like buying food; children must be kept away from their grandparents, who are likely to be vulnerable. It now emerges that Cummings, at the height of lockdown, when both he and his wife were infected and fully symptomatic, drove 260 miles to take their probably-infected child to stay with his vulnerable grandparents. Despite having a nanny, and relatives who lived close by. And then lied about their location in the press as though even they thought they'd done something wrong. And then he forced scientific advisors to the government to resign over similar but seemingly less severe lockdown infringements. The police spoke to him about the matter, and took the unusual step of publically condemning his actions. The official line, however, is that not only should he not resign, but in fact he has done absolutely nothing wrong, and it is despicable and inhuman to question him on the matter.

User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 5565
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

КОВФЕФЕ

Post by eldin raigmore »

I just watched “Hotel Artemis”.
Close to the end, one of the characters goes to throw a big switch on a big switch box.
Over the switch box is a label that says КОВФЕФЕ.
I think that was an Easter egg?

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2675
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: КОВФЕФЕ

Post by elemtilas »

eldin raigmore wrote:
31 May 2020 22:58
I just watched “Hotel Artemis”.
Close to the end, one of the characters goes to throw a big switch on a big switch box.
Over the switch box is a label that says КОВФЕФЕ.
I think that was an Easter egg?
I think so.

User avatar
lsd
greek
greek
Posts: 536
Joined: 11 Mar 2011 21:11
Contact:

Re: КОВФЕФЕ

Post by lsd »

it's pathetic...

User avatar
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek
Posts: 534
Joined: 15 Feb 2016 06:10
Location: Northern California

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I think "breathe" may be the most frequently misspelled word in the English language.

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2675
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
05 Jun 2020 00:54
I think "breathe" may be the most frequently misspelled word in the English language.
Do you mean misspelled "breath"?

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1917
Joined: 19 Sep 2011 19:37

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Salmoneus »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
05 Jun 2020 00:54
I think "breathe" may be the most frequently misspelled word in the English language.
I very much doubt it. [and not just because I don't think I've ever seen it misspelled]

I think the most misspelled word is probably going to be one of three things:
- a word with a more common homophone spelled differently
- a word where multiple spellings are theoretically possible and there's no way to tell which is right other than rote learning
- a word that doesn't obey spelling rules

Examples of the first category would be words like "dyeing", "prey", "bye", "stye" (vs "sty"), "enquiry", "affect" and "effect" as verbs, and most famously "they're", "their" and "there". And "roll" vs "role" vs "rôle", though at least the typewriter era has made it acceptable to spell the third of those like the second. "Queue" vs "cue". Oh, and "wrack" vs "rack"!

Examples of the second would be words like "consonant", "separate", "definite" (which also is an example of the second, because it has /@/ when the spelling says it should be /I/), "relevant", "amend", "maintenance", "destruction", and so forth. A particularly tricky example of both the first and the second is "dependant" (which is homophonous with "dependent") - likewise "elusive"/"illusive", which are near-homophones. And then of course there's the real nightmares of art like "intension" (vs "intention"), "immanent" (vs "imminent"), and... damn it, what's that Heidegger one, where he based a whole metaphysical distinction on changing one letter? And there are words that you just have to stab wildly at, like, famosuly, "beautiful" (I remember in school we had to learn an entire song just to get us to spell that one word...). The one that got me for years and years was "bureau" (I always want to have 'beu' or 'beau'...). And in fact I still sometimes get 'milieu' wrong (I try 'll' or 'lli' - doesn't help that they look similar!; when I was younger I tried 'eau', too.) And famously there's "manoeuvre".

Oh, and then there's "eaux de cologne"!

The most obvious example of the third is "lose", which damn well ought to be spelled to rhyme with "choose", but isn't (contrariwise, 'choosing' is often misspelled as 'chosing'). There's also of course the ones that do follow rules but not simple ones, like all the intricacies of "i before e except after c when the sound is /i:/".

And I guess that there are also what we might call the dyslexic words - "quiet" (vs "quite") and a few others.

User avatar
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek
Posts: 534
Joined: 15 Feb 2016 06:10
Location: Northern California

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

elemtilas wrote:
05 Jun 2020 02:07
Do you mean misspelled "breath"?
Yes. I've become hyper-aware of it in light of recent events in America. It baffles me because the words are pronounced differently, which should make it easier to remember the spelling. When I see "breath" written out, I automatically read it as /bɹɛθ/, never as /bɹiːð/, so there's no chance of my ever misspelling it.
Salmoneus wrote:
05 Jun 2020 03:02
I very much doubt it. [and not just because I don't think I've ever seen it misspelled]

I think the most misspelled word is probably going to be one of three things:
- a word with a more common homophone spelled differently
- a word where multiple spellings are theoretically possible and there's no way to tell which is right other than rote learning
- a word that doesn't obey spelling rules

Examples of the first category would be words like "dyeing", "prey", "bye", "stye" (vs "sty"), "enquiry", "affect" and "effect" as verbs, and most famously "they're", "their" and "there". And "roll" vs "role" vs "rôle", though at least the typewriter era has made it acceptable to spell the third of those like the second. "Queue" vs "cue". Oh, and "wrack" vs "rack"!
I'm thinking this misspelling may be more common in the U.S., but I'm not sure. From my own experience, it's one of the most common I come across and I've seen it more times than I could count. But I would notice it a lot more than a misspelling of homophones like "its" and "it's" or "their" and "they're"; the prespectivist in me is more forgiving of misspelling those (even I have been known to confuse them in typing even though I intuitively understand the difference between them).

My most frequently misspelled word may be "occurrence". It took me a long time to remember the double <r> and even now I find myself spelling it with only one <r> and quickly correcting myself.

User avatar
jimydog000
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 128
Joined: 19 Mar 2016 04:14
Location: Australian Country

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by jimydog000 »

Australia didn't quite know how to react to the protests/riots in the US. Should we import the protests? Should we risk the spread of disease?
A few organisers cancelled their protests but today there were around 100 protesting in Canberra. Most are protesting BLM and a few are holding up the Australian Aboriginal Flag.

I think many can remember a time last year in Perth when an aboriginal boy was racially profiled in a Myer clothes store (he was arrested near the change rooms). The company had to apologise.
There is also an attitude in Darwin especially. I was talking to a friend who came from there, he was a bartender at a casino. We were looking at Darwin from Google maps and talking about the different regions of it and the many new developments being built. And the conversation went to the bad reputation the indigenous receive. To cut things short, he basically said they are instantly presumed to be up to no good when in the city part of Darwin.
Then there was the case of Max Stuart in the 1950s. I had to study it in 11th grade English. He was convicted and nearly hung for a murder he couldn't of committed, just because he was the only person of colour in a two block radius when the police arrived. The police tried to trick him into making a confession on paper, and if I can remember right, he was the only suspect. I am only familiar with this arrest case but there are more.

But I am really sheltered when it comes to first-hand experience, the only times I first-hand experienced that sort of stuff:

There was this time when I was in Manhattan, NY, US, and I was walking back to our hotel at night (it was December) when a cop car pulled up to a woman. I didn't see why it happened, possibly jaywalking? although I remember it was a one lane road with no cars and a crossing nearby.
In a manner of seconds about six onlookers told the police to leave the woman alone. I remember the police mumbled something then drove away. It was culture shock at how quickly it happened, and huh, maybe I was revealed as a tourist for not reacting.

Then there was this other time when I was visiting Melbourne when some (British) duke/prince was visiting Melbourne. Anyway, there were two police people on horses, a man and a woman and they said there were going to be around 100 ~ 150 protesting against the monarchy, for a republic.
The policewoman was very friendly and had the most casual conversation with my mum, the policeman casually and roll-eye-ingly told the policewoman to stop chatting. [xD] (though I remember he had sunglasses and a lot of stubble).
What actually happened when the duke showed up, there was just one woman with a megaphone and someone else with a small cardboard sign. The megaphone was drowned out by the sound of the paparazzi/press moving down the pathway. Then the woman gave up or was stopped by her husband.

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2675
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
05 Jun 2020 03:33
elemtilas wrote:
05 Jun 2020 02:07
Do you mean misspelled "breath"?
Yes. I've become hyper-aware of it in light of recent events in America. It baffles me because the words are pronounced differently, which should make it easier to remember the spelling. When I see "breath" written out, I automatically read it as /bɹɛθ/, never as /bɹiːð/, so there's no chance of my ever misspelling it.
Indeed! A trawl through the comments on Yahoo Snooze reveals countless iterations. It's nothing new, as I'm sure you've noticed. But as you say recent events and all have put it in the spotlight!
Salmoneus wrote:
05 Jun 2020 03:02
I very much doubt it. [and not just because I don't think I've ever seen it misspelled]
I think the assessment was, at least in part, hyperbole.

On the face of it, I'm sure there are other words that are more frequently misspelled. It's simply a matter of noticing this one at the present time.
jimydog000 wrote:
05 Jun 2020 12:06
Australia didn't quite know how to react to the protests/riots in the US. Should we import the protests? Should we risk the spread of disease?
A few organisers cancelled their protests but today there were around 100 protesting in Canberra. Most are protesting BLM and a few are holding up the Australian Aboriginal Flag.
Well, if you lot import the "protests", you have to take the riots and all. It's a two-fer and a great bargain!

America often doesn't even know how to react to its own "protests". We've got a lot of fabricated protests and professional protesters. Half the people in these protests don't even know what they're protesting, and the other half are protesting all the usual suspects (Trump, global warming, LGBXYZ issues, and the like) and everything but what they're supposed to be protesting. By the time the professional rioters & looters get in on the game, the actual focus of the original protest is long lost. And to top it off, these protests cum riots almost always outlive their purpose.

In this case, all four policemen have been fired; all four have been charged with something, and I see the Nuremberg defense has been trotted out for at least one of them. There is, literally, nothing to protest; or rather, nothing móre to protest today than there was a fortnight ago. Justice's rusty & creaky wheels are in motion, and at least one of those men is going to experience the full meat grinder of it.

User avatar
Aszev
admin
admin
Posts: 1381
Joined: 11 May 2010 05:46
Location: ꜱᴇ

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Aszev »

elemtilas wrote:
05 Jun 2020 15:45
political rant
If you can't talk about politics without purposefully using offensive terms (such as "LGBXYZ", in this specific case), then stay away from the subject.

User avatar
Parlox
greek
greek
Posts: 483
Joined: 10 Feb 2017 20:28
Location: Ehh

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Parlox »

elemtilas wrote:
05 Jun 2020 15:45
Well, if you lot import the "protests", you have to take the riots and all. It's a two-fer and a great bargain!

America often doesn't even know how to react to its own "protests". We've got a lot of fabricated protests and professional protesters. Half the people in these protests don't even know what they're protesting, and the other half are protesting all the usual suspects (Trump, global warming, LGBXYZ issues, and the like) and everything but what they're supposed to be protesting. By the time the professional rioters & looters get in on the game, the actual focus of the original protest is long lost. And to top it off, these protests cum riots almost always outlive their purpose.

In this case, all four policemen have been fired; all four have been charged with something, and I see the Nuremberg defense has been trotted out for at least one of them. There is, literally, nothing to protest; or rather, nothing móre to protest today than there was a fortnight ago. Justice's rusty & creaky wheels are in motion, and at least one of those men is going to experience the full meat grinder of it.
People are protesting because of the state of America. George Floyd was a catalyst for a greater movement. Sometimes things have to get violent in order to change the state of things, which is sad, but everything else has been tried. Black people live under a constant threat in America, when they leave their homes they have to worry about whether they'll be killed for "looking suspicious" or for the most minor of misdemeanors.

Furthermore these protests don't just protest against the systems treatment of black men and woman, it is also a protest against police brutality. It is sad that some violent people are taking advantage of the chaos to loot and harm people, but it simply can't be avoided if change is to be enacted. Most of the biggest changes in american history come from widespread rioting. The system simply won't change unless the ability for white people to live their daily life is impeded.

It's a sorry state of affairs but it's how it is.

Also I have no idea what "LGBXYZ" is supposed to mean, the most common term is simple LGBT. It costs you nothing to make fun of the issues people experience with their sexuality, gender, and person.
  • :con: Gondolan, the pride of the Gondolan empire.
  • :con: Tsodanian, a tri-cons language with heavy armenian influence.
  • :con: Yaponese, an isolated language in Japan.
  • :con: Mothaukan, crazy tonal language.

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2675
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas »

Aszev wrote:
05 Jun 2020 17:04
elemtilas wrote:
05 Jun 2020 15:45
political nonrant
If you can't talk about politics without purposefully using offensive terms (such as "LGBXYZ", in this specific case), then stay away from the subject.
Sorry bout that. No offense was intended. I simply don't keep up with the letters (for valid reasons we don't need to go into in public).
Last edited by elemtilas on 05 Jun 2020 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2675
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas »

Parlox wrote:
05 Jun 2020 17:43
Also I have no idea what "LGBXYZ" is supposed to mean, the most common term is simple LGBT. It costs you nothing to make fun of the issues people experience with their sexuality, gender, and person.
Please try not to make assumptions about others or put words in their mouth. You don't know me. You don't know my experience with sexuality, gender choice, and personhood, so don't go there, okay? Nobody's making fun of anything. This threadlet wás about Mr Floyd and the sequelae of his murder, but as it's now degenerating into gendershaming land, I won't say anything further.

Next topic, please!

Post Reply