CBB Conlang Relay XII - FINISHED!!

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Jackk
roman
roman

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XII - SIGNUPS OPEN - STARTING Saturday 11th July - TWO RINGS

Post by Jackk »

:!: News :!:
We will continue to accept sign-ups, added at the end of the rings, for the duration of the relay.

This is also a good opportunity for last-minute checks on the order—let me know (here, PMs or wearingcrocs on Discord) if you want moving for any reason.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Jackk
roman
roman

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XII - SIGNUPS OPEN - starting TOMORROW

Post by Jackk »

:!: IT BEGINS :!:
My torch has been sent to Salmoneus and shimobaatar. [:D]
May the best conlangers win. [}:D] whatever that means lol
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XII - IT BEGINS (signups remain open)

Post by shimobaatar »

Received!
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

:!: Housekeeping :!:
  • Please post an acknowledgement in this thread when you receive your predecessor's torch.
  • Please also post in this thread when you send your torch to me and your successor.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Oh right, sorry, didn't notice that the split had put me first. Shouldn't be a problem, though.

Except it does make the question I was going to ask a bit more pressing: when we send you the English translation from our leg, which one do we send - what we think the message we received said, or what we think the message we sent on said?

Obviously we're trying to make those two messages as close as possible, but that won't always be possible. Let's say we receive a message in a language with gendered pronouns, and have to translate into a language with ungendered pronouns: does the English translation we send you continue to say "he", as the message we received says, or "they", as the message we pass on says? (or, obviously, vice versa, if we receive singular 'they' and are forced to guess whether to translate it 'he' or 'she').

I know it shouldn't be a huge issue - and possibly not at all in this case, since both your and my conlangs are European, so there's less scope for this sort of category clash - but it could certainly potentially be a bit of an issue.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Salmoneus wrote: 11 Jul 2020 12:43 Except it does make the question I was going to ask a bit more pressing: when we send you the English translation from our leg, which one do we send - what we think the message we received said, or what we think the message we sent on said?
That is a good question! [:D] I think the usual practice here has been to send "what we think the message we received said"—that way when it gets back to me at the end, I can translate what I receive into English and we don't get any double-counting.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

Jackk wrote: 11 Jul 2020 12:49
Salmoneus wrote: 11 Jul 2020 12:43 Except it does make the question I was going to ask a bit more pressing: when we send you the English translation from our leg, which one do we send - what we think the message we received said, or what we think the message we sent on said?
That is a good question! [:D] I think the usual practice here has been to send "what we think the message we received said"—that way when it gets back to me at the end, I can translate what I receive into English and we don't get any double-counting.
I've always sent both English translations to the relay master (cf. this example).
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

cedh wrote: 11 Jul 2020 14:11
Jackk wrote: 11 Jul 2020 12:49
I've always sent both English translations to the relay master (cf. this example).
That makes sense too. I certainly won't object to receiving both from people! [:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

I've passed the torch along to Iyionaku and sent the full version to Jackk.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

shimobaatar wrote: 12 Jul 2020 16:14 I've passed the torch along to Iyionaku and sent the full version to Jackk.
Received.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

I, on the other hand... have not.

I'm confident I'll have done all the translation by the end of today; whether I'll be able to have all the grammar guidance written by the end of tomorrow, however, is probably 50/50 at this point (depends how much it turns out I can easily copy over from my own notes, and how much will have to be written from scratch or significantly altered).

Anyway, I may be on time, or I may run a day late, just so that Click is aware...
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Salmoneus wrote: 12 Jul 2020 16:25 I, on the other hand... have not.

I'm confident I'll have done all the translation by the end of today; whether I'll be able to have all the grammar guidance written by the end of tomorrow, however, is probably 50/50 at this point (depends how much it turns out I can easily copy over from my own notes, and how much will have to be written from scratch or significantly altered).

Anyway, I may be on time, or I may run a day late, just so that Click is aware...
No worries [:D] the deadlines are only soft anyway.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

shimobaatar wrote: 12 Jul 2020 16:14 I've passed the torch along to Iyionaku and sent the full version to Jackk.
I've received shimo's torch!
I have to say though that I'm caught completely off guard that the relay already started. I'm on vacation until Tuesday evening, so I can only start on Wednesday.
If that poses any problem I can also switch places with alynnidalar, then I will not look at shimo's torch at all.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Iyionaku wrote: 12 Jul 2020 20:39
I've received shimo's torch!
I have to say though that I'm caught completely off guard that the relay already started. I'm on vacation until Tuesday evening, so I can only start on Wednesday.
If that poses any problem I can also switch places with alynnidalar, then I will not look at shimo's torch at all.
It shouldn't be any problem - shimo finished ahead of schedule anyway so I'm sure it'll be fine if you take one or two extra days :)
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
anonymous123
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by anonymous123 »

First time doing one of these! I'd like to use Awatese (my main conlang) for this. (I'll make a proper intro at a later date as I am brand new here)
ngąxayo peřwa a nałatą zehą, Irkąlą a tinąk a pehenątą zehą; nał a zehą, xąnituhąpąkałąpą he xąhatunąhąx; dą a zehą, xąnihąhaningnumąnwąpąnawe; nał a zehą, tan tukuhoyohoyopąnawe henąngahenąngatą a pwązi...
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

anonymous123 wrote: 13 Jul 2020 20:11 First time doing one of these! I'd like to use Awatese (my main conlang) for this. (I'll make a proper intro at a later date as I am brand new here)
Welcome aboard [:D] I've added you to Ring 1.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
anonymous123
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by anonymous123 »

Jackk wrote: 13 Jul 2020 20:13
anonymous123 wrote: 13 Jul 2020 20:11 First time doing one of these! I'd like to use Awatese (my main conlang) for this. (I'll make a proper intro at a later date as I am brand new here)
Welcome aboard [:D] I've added you to Ring 1.
Thank you! [:D]
ngąxayo peřwa a nałatą zehą, Irkąlą a tinąk a pehenątą zehą; nał a zehą, xąnituhąpąkałąpą he xąhatunąhąx; dą a zehą, xąnihąhaningnumąnwąpąnawe; nał a zehą, tan tukuhoyohoyopąnawe henąngahenąngatą a pwązi...
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Just a quick heads-up, I have translated shimo's torch into English. Currently I'm waiting for some clarification from his side before I start translating it into Yélian. I assume I can forward the torch by tomorrow noon (UTC).
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Sorry everybody - I've translated the piece into English, and from English into Old Wenthish, and I've got a glossary of the vocabulary used, but I've not finished the explanatory grammar notes, and am unlikely to be finished tonight - other things have gotten in the way. I hope to be finished tomorrow.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Salmoneus wrote: 15 Jul 2020 23:51 Sorry everybody - I've translated the piece into English, and from English into Old Wenthish, and I've got a glossary of the vocabulary used, but I've not finished the explanatory grammar notes, and am unlikely to be finished tonight - other things have gotten in the way. I hope to be finished tomorrow.
No problem—thanks for the update. [:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug