CBB Conlang Relay XII - FINISHED!!

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Parlox
greek
greek

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XII - IT BEGINS (signups remain open)

Post by Parlox »

Torch received! Starting work now.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XII - ONGOING (signups remain open)

Post by Salmoneus »

Yay! I'm now officially only joint-losing!

Except, of course, in the "produce an indecipherable mess that the next person can't make any sense of" sense, in which case I probably am still losing...
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I'm going to need an extra day.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Parlox wrote: 26 Jul 2020 02:43 I'm going to need an extra day.
No worries—thanks for the heads up. [:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I finished decoding the text a while ago, but while translating it into Gondolan I hit a few issues with clause formations. I spent a lot of time fixing that lol.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

I wouldn't worry too much - your side of the relay is already one step ahead of ours. And meanwhile, I think I may have killed Click...
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Salmoneus wrote: 26 Jul 2020 11:58 I wouldn't worry too much - your side of the relay is already one step ahead of ours. And meanwhile, I think I may have killed Click...
Haha [xD] I have it on good authority Ring 1 will be advancing later today, don't worry. [:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Torched passed to Sasasha!
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Parlox wrote: 31 Jul 2020 00:09 Torched passed to Sasasha!
Received! [:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
sasasha
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sasasha »

Torch received, work has begun. [:)]
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Just to clarify here: Click's just struggling to write up his grammar, yes? They've managed to translate out of my conlang OK?
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

I'd like to sign up for Ring 1, if possible. Assuming the text requires the use of vocab and concepts from the modern era, I'd like to use Weddisch. I'd like to use Yinše, but its vocab is pretty limited as the speakers are semi-nomadic pastoralists whose technology is about copper/bronze age level.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

spanick wrote: 31 Jul 2020 20:08 I'd like to sign up for Ring 1, if possible. Assuming the text requires the use of vocab and concepts from the modern era, I'd like to use Weddisch. I'd like to use Yinše, but its vocab is pretty limited as the speakers are semi-nomadic pastoralists whose technology is about copper/bronze age level.
Sure! I will add you when I get my laptop back tomorrow. The tech thing is Unlikely to be an issue but of course I cannot vouch for any untoward developments between now and you! [>:D]
Salmoneus wrote: 31 Jul 2020 17:04 Just to clarify here: Click's just struggling to write up his grammar, yes? They've managed to translate out of my conlang OK?
I am assured by Click that things are proceeding decently. I'm certain that he will/would have contacted you directly if there were any major problems with your torch. [:)]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

FWIW, I had no insuperable lexical/conceptual problems translating the text into a 1st-millennium Germanic language, though it felt that that was not the intended cultural context. For an even more technologically undeveloped and/or alien culture, there may be a couple of terms that you might have to translate either into literal descriptions that would mean little to your speakers but are understandable to us, or else into analogous terms that they would understand but that are not literally accurate*. But on the whole, it's not challengingly modern.

Besides, who know what text you'll get, at the end of the chain? Maybe the person before you will have liberally translated everything into the cultural terms of a far-future interstellar empire... or those of palaeolithic hunter-gatherers.

*eg, if you had a stone-age culture and were translating a bronze-age text, your language might have no term for 'bronze', but you could say 'hard shiny substance' (literal circumlocution) or 'flint' (cultural analogy).
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

I apologize for the wait and will finish up the torch soon.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Jackk wrote: 31 Jul 2020 22:31Sure! I will add you when I get my laptop back tomorrow. The tech thing is Unlikely to be an issue but of course I cannot vouch for any untoward developments between now and you! [>:D]
Awesome. I’ll be join go with Yinše then. It’ll be a bit more of a challenge, but probably more fun too.
Salmoneus wrote: 31 Jul 2020 22:36 FWIW, I had no insuperable lexical/conceptual problems translating the text into a 1st-millennium Germanic language, though it felt that that was not the intended cultural context. For an even more technologically undeveloped and/or alien culture, there may be a couple of terms that you might have to translate either into literal descriptions that would mean little to your speakers but are understandable to us, or else into analogous terms that they would understand but that are not literally accurate*. But on the whole, it's not challengingly modern.
Thanks! Last time, I used Weddisch which, despite my love for it, is a pretty boring Germanic language. I’ll be trying something new this time.
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

Torch passed to @brblues.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Received, just before bedtime! So I won't get around to taking an actual look and hopefully start before tomorrow.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Click wrote: 02 Aug 2020 00:09 Torch passed to @brblues.
Received. [:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
sasasha
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sasasha »

I have passed the torch to Yrusia. [:)]