Do you want to go home?

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
lsd
greek
greek

Re: Do you want to go home?

Post by lsd »

umhlabaweelwimi
pe'eatya
.possible-come-back.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

:con: Silvish

(Tê que) tu veu rrentrê ô mêzon-i ?
[(ˈtɛː ke.)ty.vœʁ.ʁɛ̃ˈtʁɛː ʔɔː.mɛˈzõ.i]
INT SBRD 2SG-NOM want 2SG-return-INF to.DEF house-OBL

Veu tt' rentrê ô mêzon-i ?
[vœt.tʁɛ̃ˈtʁɛː ʔɔː.mɛˈzõ.i]
want 2SG-2SG return-INF to.DEF house-OBL

Do you want to go home?
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:con: Wena / Ngohu

Ha wa i bo zomba?
Q 2s COP want.AG go.home.AG
Do you want to go home?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

Image Ecclesiastical Atili:
First of all, let us assume that you are in a group, and you are asking if the listener wants the entire group to go home.
If you are with only the listener, replace all instances of ohim-salva-un-kón-u with ohim-salva-ún-kon (1+2-walk-LOC-3;CLF(container); /o.xɪm.səl.və.'uŋ.kon/)
If only the listener would be going home, replace them with et-salva-ún-kon (2-walk-LOC-3;CLF(container); /ɛt.səl.və.'uŋ.kon/) (this doesn't work with the last one)

TL; DR: The classic, unassuming question:
E et-vós-o e la házo ohim-salva-un-kón-u?
Q 2-want-3;CLF(abstract) REL to house 1+2-walk-LOC-3;CLF(container)-PL
/e: ɛt.'vo.so e lə.'xa.zo o.xɪm.səl.və.uŋ.'kó.nú/
'Do you want to go home?'

I mark the last two syllables as having a high tone in the IPA (ú, ó), not because they are inherent to the syllable (Atili has no phonemic tone), but because this is one of the indicators that the sentence is a question, the other being the "E" at the beginning of the sentence. If one wanted to express surprise that the listener has indicated a desire to go home, one might use the following construction with a different word order instead:

E e házo latsí-kon ohim-salva-un-kón-u et-vós-o?
Q REL house to-there-CLF(container) 1+2-walk-LOC-3;CLF(container) 2-want-3;CLF(abstract)
/e: e 'xá.zó lət.'si.kon o.xɪm.səl.və.uŋ.'ko.nu ɛt.'vó.só/
'You want to go home?'

If you expected the listener to want to go home, you might say:

Et-vós-o e la házo ohim-salva-un-kón-u, e da?
2-want-3;CLF(abstract) REL to house 1+2-walk-LOC;CLF(container) Q agreement
/ɛt.'vo.so e lə.'xa.zo o.xɪm.səl.və.uŋ.'ko.nu e: dá/
'You want to go home, right?'

And if you yourself wanted to go home, you might say:

I-vós-o e la házo ohim-salva-un-kón-u, e da?
1-want-3;CLF(abstract) REL to house 1+2-walk-LOC;CLF(container) Q agreement
/ɪ.'vo.so e lə.'xa.zo o.xɪm.səl.və.uŋ.'kó.nú e: dá/
'Shall we go home?'
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

:con: Lonmai Luna

tak kat daler soho oli dowala?
/täk kät däle̞ɹ so̞ho̞ o̞li do̞wälä/
tak kat daler soho oli dowala?
Q 2.SG want go to home?
Do you want to go home?

:con: Mayato MKII

Due to its polysynthetic nature, it is possible to express some sentences with a "single" word, and this is one of the examples that can be expressed with a "single" word.

utsokrim
/ut͡so̞krim/
u-tso-k-ri-m
2.SG.A-home-go-DES-Q
Do you want to go home?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

:con: Undercommon

Éemtha Chalt cíche?
/eɪ̯.em.ɬɑ xɑlt 'ki.ki/
['eɪ̯mɬ xɑlt 'ki.çe]
o-iem-dh=sa Chal-t cí~cí
IPFV.VOL-OPT-2sg=2sg.NOM home-ACC again~be.at
Do you want to go home?
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Boral: Desir-tu var cas tey ?
Duban: Noh ay me ep maxo as?
PZ: Yungibac vaim?

want=2s go.inf to.home 2s.dsj
want 2s go irr house 2s.gn
2s.vol-return homeward

/deˈsiʁ ti ˌvaʁ cas ˈti/
/ˈnox aj ˌme ep ˈmakso ˌas/
/ˌjunˈkipak ˌʋaim/
Last edited by Jackk on 10 Nov 2018 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

:con: Ancient Vaal

Sóga omo ò-rába taraş bes?
['søga 'omo ø:-'reba 'taraş bes]
ERG\2sg ABS\home TR.DEF-IRR\go DES Q

The mood of the verb - which would be "rábá" in the realis mood - is irrealis here, indicated by vowel mutation into a pattern of a front vowel followed by back vowel (termed "falling" vowel pattern/"melody") in the root. The irrealis mood here is even required for not one but two reasons, namely the fact that the sentence is a question as well as the use of the desiderative marker "taraş", indicating the desire of the agent/subject.

Otherwise, this sentence is fairly straightforward to render in Ancient Vaal, provided that one is familiar with the usage of the so-called "verbal prefix", which encodes both the transitivity of the verb and the definiteness of the absolutive argument.

In the above sentence, the verbal prefix is "ò" [ø:], signifying firstly that the verb here is transitive: the destination one goes to is a direct object in AV, so "home" in the absolutive case precedes the verb. From that it also follows that "you" must be in the ergative case. Secondly, the verbal prefix here marks the preceding absolutive argument - "home" - as definite, not necessarily because it has been mentioned before, but due to this being an idiomatic expression (use of the verbal prefix marking "omo" as indefinite here would be understood as "a house").
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

O via lako ki vale?
[o ˈβia ˈlako (k)i ˈβale↗︎]
2S.SUBJ want go to house
Do you want to go home?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:con: Ngolu / Iliaqu

Please don't compare the vocab with that of Wena /Ngehu. I shamelessly reuse vocabulary in various conlangs without any kind of system. They don't exist in the same universe.

Ngolu is a bit syntactically over the top, I think. I gave it a lot of ways to restructure sentences for extra flexibility, but sometimes I feel there are too many ways. Here's a bunch of different possibilities with subtle differences in meaning, if at all.

1) More or less direct translation. Can also mean "to the house".

Ha bio hu vu / uas exi mala.
Do you want to go/come to the house? / Do you want to go/come home.

Code: Select all

ha  bio   hu       vu         / ua        -s  exi              mala 
Q   want  go/come  NOM.2S.ICS / NOM.2S.ACS-E  DAT.3S.DEF.INAN  house
[VP_____________]  [NOM....................]  [DAT.................]
2) With the destination incorporated into the predicate. The nominal exi (≈ article, "to the") can optionally be incorporated into the predicate too, but for this to happen, it needs to be marked with the copula/verbaliser g- /ŋ/ which allows it to sit within the verbal phrase prevents it from ending the verbal phrase and starting a new adjunct. Without the gexi, the mala could be taken to be definite or indefinite, specific or non-specific, but gexi's inclusion emphasises its definiteness.

Ha bio hu (gexi) mala vu / ua?
Do you want to go/come home? / Do you want to go/come to a (the) house.

ha  bio   hu       (g- exi            )  mala   vu         / ua          
Q   want  go/come  (VB-DAT.3S.DEF.INAN)  house  NOM.2S.ICS / NOM.2S.ACS
[VP__________________________________________]  [NOM..................]
- Note that this sentence would also be grammatical with exi instead of gexi, but it is a highly marked word order because the nominative adjunct vu or ua here is "unfilled" (light, represented only by a single nominal) and the heavier filled dative adjunct exi mala would ordinarily come after it.) Simply having a long predicate phrase at the beginning of the sentence is not so marked, but even then, it can be split, with any adjunct being placed inside it somewhere and then the resumption of the predicate is marked with the predicate prefix i-, which basically allows for fronting or partial fronting of topics or light adjuncts and backing of excessively heavy verb phrases or parts of them (particularly of relative clauses within the verb phrase, which are just about always backed).
- Also note that the presence of gexi within the verb phrase makes hu "go/come" redundant, as a verbalised dative nominal can be used as a verb of motion (i.e. gexi "go to it", gexi mala "go to the house"). Hu "go/come to" does tend to emphasise the perfectiveness of a motion as opposed to the imperfective mia "be on the way to", but gexi would probably be interpreted as perfective anyway, so ... still redundant.

3) Probably the most compact and precise form is with the derivational prefix e- added to mala. E- almost certainly has the same origin as the dative case marker on nominals, but it's derivational when added to a verbal (mala = NOM is a house) to get another verbal (emala = NOM goes home). Emala specifically means "go/come home" and not just "go/come to any old house".

Ha bios emala vu / ua?
Do you want to go/come home?

ha  bio -s  emala         vu         / ua         
Q   want-E  go/come.home  NOM.2S.ICS / NOM.2S.ACS
[VP____________________]  [NOM....................]
Any of the above forms can be rearranged with any and/or all of the adjuncts fronted to the beginning or between any two words in the predicate phrase, any non-initial part of the predicate is marked with the i- prefix. E.g. instead of Ha bios emala ua?, any of the following could be used depending on wherever you feel like dropping the subject:

(1) Ua iha bios emala?
Ua is very, conspicuously fronted and probably understood as a topic, such as when contrastic different people. I've just said what I want, but do you want to go home?

(2) Ha ua ibios emala?
I think this order is mostly used to draw attention to the fact that this is a question and it's aimed at you. "Hey, do you want to go home?"

Ha bio ua iemala?
I think this order emphasises that I'm really asking you what you want. It's up to you.

Thinking about it, I think the fronted element is a bit topicalised and also places emphasis on the immediately preceding part of the predicate phrase. I guess the result of all of this shifting around is that intonation is less likely to be used for emphasising different things and that's good because I'm already out of my depth with the simple and regular tone system, so I can just focus on making sure I pronounce/imagine the tones right.

And somehow I've managed to write the most on probably the most syntactically undemanding translation challenge.
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Nloki
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Nloki »

:con: Nłokjenkaitää.
Kid'mii Kuivältää meniike daa?
want-DCL;PST,2ndP;SG move/go/come-1stINF YES/NO?
Do you want to go home?
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

:con: Asta

xə rə‘iŋə‘ti‘tuwə ‘ix‘ə taŋayəx
xə rə-‘-<ŋə>VCC-i‘tə-wə ‘-i‘x-‘ə taŋa-yəx
INT 2s-IV-<IRR>PROG-like-PROG IV-walk-NOM house-ADV
Do you want to go home?
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

:con: Gondolan

If one were to say this to someone not well known, a more formal animacy based register may be used, if wherever the speaker and addressed are is formal...

Bannör lêf orn tam rou ovtan?
/ˈbanː.əɹ̠ lɛf o̜ɹ̠n tam ro̜u̜ ˈo̜v.tan/
[2ND.ERG.SING QUES2 desire.PRES.ACT FUT go.PRES.ACT home.PROX.ABS.SING]
Do you want to go home?

But if the person being asked is well known, one could drop the pronoun and shift the object to be the subject. This is only done informally, as the most "animate" noun of a phrase is always the subject in formal speach, and people are higher than houses. The below sentence implies that the persons home is important.

Ovtan lêf ornum roúm?
/ˈo̜v.tan lɛf ˈo̜ɹ̠.nũ̜m ro̜͡u̜ːm/
[home.PROX.ABS.SING QUES2 desire-PRES.PASS go-PRES.PASS]
Do you want to go home?

This is also only used in informal areas, such as minor events or house parties.

In both sentences I used a question particle that indicates surprise..
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
littlesalmon
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by littlesalmon »

:con: itota itiko

moni kija imali kija sipa kijo isa isa nino:
['ɱonʲi 'kʲijä 'iɱalʲi 'kʲijä 'sʲipä 'kʲijo 'isa 'isa 'nʲino]

mon-i             kij-a  imal-i             kij-a  sip-a    kij-o    isa    isa_nino
want-VM[PST;IPRF] you-NM be_at-VM[PST;IPRF] you-NM place-NM you-ADJM NOUNIF Q
Do you want yourself already being at your home?

Alternatively, here is a more literal translation:

moni kija ilasi kija apa sipa kijo oli isa isa nino:
['ɱonʲi 'kʲijä 'iɫasʲi 'kʲijä 'apä 'sʲipä 'kʲijo 'olʲi 'isa 'isa 'nʲino]

mon-i             kij-a  ilas-i  kij-a  apa sip-a    kij-o    oli     isa    isa_nino
want-VM[PST;IPRF] you-NM move-VM you-NM FUT place-NM you-ADJM towards NOUNIF Q
Do you want yourself moving toward your home in the future?

NM, VM and ADJM = noun marker, verb marker and adjective/adverb marker.
NOUNIF = nounification particle, it makes the previous sentence a noun (for example: I sleep -> the act of me sleeping)
The language is primarily head-initial, and the word order is VSO. There is no present tense, and past imperfect is commonly used instead.
The underscore's use in the object language text is justified as per an (unofficial, but logical) extension of Leipzig glossing rules, rule 4A: If an object-language element is neither formally nor semantically segmentable and only the metalanguage happens to lack a single-word equivalent, the underscore may be used instead of the period.
216 always explains everything. ilaki onito itota ti ji ji ti akina itota ma. 216 всегда всё объясняет.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Bath'aso

Shels ħal ishtik ik bsħogrultuzh.
[ʂɛls ʕɑl iʂtik ik bsˤɔ͡gɣɯltɯʐ]
POT go want=2SG.ABS to house-liking-INDR
You surely want to go home.

Keep in mind that Orkish always avoids questions: You have to paraphrase it with the standard structure and the particle shels. The noun depends a lot on what the speaker wants to say: bsħogrul implies that the speaker himself wants to go home also. A more neutral way would be to use bsħogrtshok. Or mabye bsħogrungt if you really, really want to go now. If you want to stay a little longer (but not much), bsħogrhomt could be a good solution. And if you totally object to leaving already, bsħogrřok or bsħogrgush can be the best options.

:con: Paatherye

Thū dēthes kharsame janmes? (if a woman is asked)
Yē dētheles kharsame janmes? (if a man is asked)
2SG.NOM want.2SG go.INF home.ALL
Do you want to go home?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Noiraka

We hee neur-eeri naiwa, hai?
EGO go.to POT-sg2.F at.home, TAG
'Do you want to go home?'
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
prettydragoon
sinic