What is the newest word in your conlang?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Allekanger
cuneiform
cuneiform

What is the newest word in your conlang?

Post by Allekanger »

I couldn't find an earlier thread on the same topic, so I though I'd create a new one. With some inspiration from this thread I would like to know: what is the most recent addition to your conlang's lexicon? How did it come to be (sudden flash of inspiration, derivation of previously existing words etc.)? What are your own reflections on your new word?

Feel free to include its meaning, pronunciation, glossing, derivation, conscript, etymology, concultural context and/or real word inspiration for your word. Please limit entries to one word for each post. You're welcome to post new words as your lexicon is expanded.
lsd
greek
greek

Re: What is the newest word in your conlang?

Post by lsd »

in my triple S philosophical language (1 Sound=1 Sense=1 Sign) each sign is a lexeme and there is no difference between words and texts...
so no more new lexeme-word since forty years...
last word I work on is a 2D 17² signs folk name of the language I found back for adapting it in 3D rhizome form...
strange as it may seem, this word is a translation of a text that I read long time ago and then forgot, and which fits perfectly with the definition of my language, even though the work done to build it having ever taken this idea as a model...
the unconscious is a strange machine that can make a book the story of your destiny...
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

In Yélian, the most recent words are númalo and páriero, both meaning "rent", but used in different standard varieties.

númalo derives from num "place to live" + an isolated morpheme -alo, not found anywhere else in the language.
páriero derives from pária "to move" + ero "money".
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Poswa:
I dont really write them down in order so I cant be absolutely sure of this but my best guess for most recent word in Poswa is
tšamba, "presiding over a nation". The etymology is complicated, ... it derives from Play kiasta mivi a , "president" + "nation" + "have". The /-ta/ was mistaken for an agentive suffix and thus dropped. The rest is normal sound changes. The IPA of this word is /tʃɔmʷba/; the vowel in the stressed syllable changes because the coda is labialized (which I dont mark in spelling in most environments).

kiasta is also the most recent word in Play.

Pabappa:
umm .... pompi "underpants". From Play /penupi/, ultimately a loan from Baywatch.

Unnamed Cream language:
hema "to give birth", from Play /ču ip ma/, "to push a baby with one's womb". Cant get more explicit than that.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Most recent Lihmelinyan word seems to be the noun taíhēr, /ˈtai̯.xeːr/ a masculine r-stem noun (genitive singular tihrés) which means "master" or "lord".

I already have the roots tah-/tih- in other words referring to similar concepts (like tahsánzēr, which means "magistrate" and is also used in an academic context to mean "dean") but I realized I lacked the more basic word. So in a way it's a back-formation. :)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

blanmoshi [ˌblanˈmouʃi] full-blooded, full-blood, pure

and

blanmoshios [ˌblanmouˈʃi.ous] (racial) purity

These two related words are the newest additions to Kankonian.

Blan means "brown", while moshi means "ancestry, descent, blood". Kankonians' skin is brown, and as a result blan also has the meaning of "true blue". A bein blan (brown boy) is "one of the boys", while a piva blan (brown girl) is "one of the girls". A blahatz blan (brown day) is an ordinary day.

-os is a suffix that turns an adjective into an abstract noun (like -ness).
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Poswa:
taeva, to baptise a priest.

People on my planet live close to their gods, so religious terms are typically short words even in languages with small phoneme inventories and heavy inflectional burdens. Most Poswa words have four stems, which could be called the principal parts of the word, as in Indo-European languages. It so happens that the C stem of this word is homophonous with that of the word for arrow. The Poswobs are pacifists, most of whom will never see an arrow or any other dangerous weapon in person. So even this highly specific word is more familiar to most Poswobs than arrows are, and I expect the two meanings to merge in consciousness. Either the priests could be symbolically baptised by having a soft-tipped arrow shot at them, or the concept of arrows as weapons could be entirely subsumed by the baptism sense and soldiers who are hit in battle are symbolically baptized as heroes by their death process.

In either case, this could lead to one word replacing the other. The A-stem (dictionary form) of the arrow word is taetum, and it could happen that this becomes the word for baptism as well, or that the converse happens and arrows come to be called taeva. In the latter case, it is likely that the less common arrow word would take an additional suffix -la, commonly used to denote handheld objects. Thus the two words would be no longer homophonous, but the mental association would remain because the new word taevala would still be parsed as taeva + la.

I should add that Im just using the term "baptise" in the sense of initiation, as there is probably no water involved whatsoever. But the ritual is there, and a priest is not a priest until they are baptised.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Pabappa wrote: 22 Jun 2020 16:50I should add that Im just using the term "baptise" in the sense of initiation, as there is probably no water involved whatsoever. But the ritual is there, and a priest is not a priest until they are baptised.
The process you're describing sounds like "ordination" (verb: "ordain"), if we're using sacrament names, since it's specific to priests.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Dormouse559 wrote: 23 Jun 2020 06:18
Pabappa wrote: 22 Jun 2020 16:50I should add that Im just using the term "baptise" in the sense of initiation, as there is probably no water involved whatsoever. But the ritual is there, and a priest is not a priest until they are baptised.
The process you're describing sounds like "ordination" (verb: "ordain"), if we're using sacrament names, since it's specific to priests.
Yes, thanks, that makes sense. I have a pretty strong subconscious bias in favor of words that have my favorite sounds in them .... Ive been using "baptism" since the mid-90s and never really questioned it but I think I just like the word.

Another new word in the same semantic field:

Leaper: xăxʷeye
Play: šafae
possibly Poswa: šafaeki
"week; variable period of time surrounding an angel's birthday"

This is based on a hypothetical irregular calendar in which there are no weeks or months, but only periods of time surrounding an angel's birthday. These birthdays are spaced randomly, so some periods of time are longer than others. I dont know if this is a workable idea, ... there are 39 angels, so there will be 39 periods ... but I know the birthday problem and that it's quite likely at least one of these birthdays coincides with another. (Unless the scribes conveniently "forget" the date of one of them and replace it with another. Or maybe the angels kindly pause their pregnancies so as not to take time away from another angel. I've got ideas.)

Anyway /k/ is a very rare phoneme in Poswa, arising almost exclusively from clusters, particularly /kš/. The /ae/ of the Poswa word is not derived from Play's /ae/, ... the Poswa word derives from Play /šafa žika še/. In this word, /šafa/ means "an angel's birth" because the time suffix is pushed to the end of the phrase. Normally /k/ > /tš/ before a front vowel, but the cluister /kš/ was preserved and then later shifted to /k/.

I should add that Poswa and Play both already have a word šafa "the force of good; up, upward, top" which is also used for the three goddesses' spirits. This is *not* cognate to the above words, but I'm strongly tempted to rewrite the etymology of /šafa/ right now to make it cognate after all, and explain the different meanings as being the normal result of thousands of years of semantic change. (Even Play has 2500 years of evolution from its most recent common ancestor with Leaper, and Poswa is another 4500 years on top of that.)
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Image Silvish: oixinye nfc - songbird (< Lt. luscinia "nightingale")

That spelling is the written standard, with no offical pronunciation. In the Moûtiers dialect, the word is oujinye [uˈʒi.ɲˑə]. The initial /l/ was reanalyzed as a definite article, then the reflex of /sk/ was voiced under the influence of oixê "bird". I've been thinking all month about a meaning for a direct descendant of luscinia because the word for "nightingale" will be borrowed from Occitan rossinhol.
sasasha
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sasasha »

My newest word in Ethi is šermo 'calendar'. It is derived from the root šer- 'night', plus the affixes -m- (an honorific which can be attached to a some roots to indicate things which are sacred or special in some way) and -o (collective). Literally 'the many sacred nights / the collection of festivals'.
jan Unise
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by jan Unise »

The newest word I came up with for :con: úmaŋ is pmús ['pmus], which means "leave, abandon". It ultimately comes from an old phrase tumu usi ('to exit one's home'), which survives as an idiom (túŋ ús). By itself the word ús 'exit, go out' doesn't appear in common speech anymore, except in idioms such as the one above, or in poetic register. Happy conlanging!
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

Image Classical Āirumāli:

qumewrā vt. to hide sth.
qumeuþ vi. to hide
qumew n. "hider"; a small marsupial-like creature native to the desert planet Ciqaþrai, coveted by the Third Perseus Company which colonized the planet and which engineered the mēqeifir ("scorrow") to hunt them
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

Pawam:

pay [paj] /pac/ to give.
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Discovered two yesterday:

oyawain -- to yowl; to talk like a mesayanacu, a kind of cat

ttittikiki -- the tickly sensation of a small bug crawling on sensitive skin
notahippo
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by notahippo »

Proto-Zaebfa:

mibhi - verb, "to work"

I was doing a translation challenge & needed a word for "lazy". Proto-Zaebfa speakers, known as Lahizudians, lived with the Washoe & Paviotso tribes in western Nevada & European settlers didn't really exist there in 1540.

If you want to know, "lazy" is basically ogimibhil.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

kinek dand bisp -- the Kankonian word for "ANADEW"

The letters K D P, short for kaluktorturizen dyu bidinkarol, which means "beaten by a natlang".
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Since it has a nice sound and meaning: Old Wenthish lioitholaht, /lʲ^ioþʲolʷəxʷtʷ/ - transience, fleetingness
aliensdrinktea
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by aliensdrinktea »

Miyorran:
zasai /ˈzasaj/ - n. person, people

From Proto-Miyorran *sódhasi, meaning 'to think/reason' plus an agentive suffix; it refers to members of any sapient species.
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

My latest words in Shu are care, which means background, vasĭli, which means baboon, and kŷ, which is axe. These are all nouns.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu