(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Oil In My Lamp
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Oil In My Lamp »

I think politically-motivated sound changes would be dependent on the sounds of the neighbouring (or otherwise culturally-significant) nations. Conquered or lower caste nations would use more of the language of the ruling class.

Is that what you had in mind?
Give me oil in my lamp, I pray.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Oil In My Lamp wrote: 22 Sep 2020 20:50 I think politically-motivated sound changes would be dependent on the sounds of the neighbouring (or otherwise culturally-significant) nations. Conquered or lower caste nations would use more of the language of the ruling class.

Is that what you had in mind?
That’s some of what I had in mind.

I was also thinking about one of the hypothesized causes of some of the Great Vowel Shift.
The hypothesis is that when the Norman-Anglo rulers of England lost the Hundred Years War and got kicked out of the French Court, they decided to pronounce everything the English way instead of the French or Norman French or Anglo-Norman way, and frequently overcorrected.

There may be other stuff like that.
For instance if a Southern kid goes to college at some Yankee university and gets too much fun made of him, he might over exaggerate the Southronistic characteristics of his English dialect. On purpose. Because he’s pissed off.
And wind up on the far side of the uneducated or untraveled people back home.
If his new habits spread to his speech-community that would be an example of such a sound-change.

Or any other kind of politically-motivated sound change.
I think President George W. Bush out-Texaned himself after losing an election early in his career to an opponent who made fun of George H.W.’s Kennebunkport connections. That’s another for-instance. (Or would be if it affected a whole speech-community!)

Note I am not saying any of these hypotheses are true, nor very likely, nor widely believed to be true or likely. It’s even possible that some people believe some of them have been disproven, for all I know.

I’m just saying there may be enough stories or hypotheses like these, to start a thread.
Or, maybe not. That’s kinda what I’m asking!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 23 Sep 2020 01:25 I think President George W. Bush out-Texaned himself after losing an election early in his career to an opponent who made fun of George H.W.’s Kennebunkport connections. That’s another for-instance.
See Going Nucular by the late Geoffrey Nunberg.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

From Sappho this quote.
I can’t translate it yet; can you?

The moon has set,
And the Pleiades.
It is midnight.
Time passes;
And I sleep alone.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

“What’s Opera, Doc?” in Klingon?

Post by eldin raigmore »

In the webcomic “Freefall”, one of the characters says “‘What’s Opera, Doc?’ sounds so much better in Klingon.”.
“What’s Opera, Doc?” is a Warner Bros. cartoon from the late or middle 1950s starring Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny.
Translating it —— or even its one original song —— into Klingon and then performing it, would be a major challenge!

Anyone up to it?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Can someone tell me what this webpage is about, and why it includes text from my Kankonian grammar?

https://tvimpermeabilizzazioni.it/showr ... s-men.html
♂♥♂♀

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I didnt click, because I mean its 99% chance it's safe but what about the 1% ..... anyway Im guessing theyve been combing large chunks of text just to elevate their site on search engines. I've seen my writing show up on sites like that too, though I cant find an example of it now.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 31 Dec 2020 15:13 Can someone tell me what this webpage is about, and why it includes text from my Kankonian grammar?

https://tvimpermeabilizzazioni.it/showr ... s-men.html
Not sure what the website is supposed to be about, but could very well be a dummy site or a mock-up. Random text used for typographical mock-ups -- lorem ipsum -- are well known, and this could be an example. Basically just rubble that will eventually be replaced by actual content.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

eldin raigmore wrote: 04 Nov 2020 12:21 From Sappho this quote.

The moon has set,
And the Pleiades.
It is midnight.
Time passes;
And I sleep alone.
turicanantas eti oserea attacqi utarea
goes.to.rest she Lesser.Moon and.also Greater.Moon

ucuanantas emulanea eti letocatoca tolarethi
goes.down Red.Star her along.with sisters

lebarang eti ilimirethe ucuacuere erriessa
deep she night wending far

torcwassevireth ilei ilei ilicueiari lecamathe
lie.down I.fem myself under.wing all.alone

When done up as might be recited, it's in a line form with four feet of four or five syllables. The first and last feet of each line in a stanza must have the same number of syllables. In this case, 4.

tur'canantas | eti osere- | -a attacqi | utarea
ucuanantas | emulanea 'ti | letocatoca | tolarethi
lebarang et- | -i ilimirethe | ucuacuere | erriessa
torcwassevir- | -eth ilei ilei | ilicueiari | lecamathe
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 04 Nov 2020 12:21 From Sappho this quote.

The moon has set,
And the Pleiades.
It is midnight.
Time passes;
And I sleep alone.
Kankonian:

Phodos napheten
Muye Geremigo hoen
Wir *aizias parkar
Enles paketas
Mui is phizuras dumath we

Moon set-PST
also Pleiades do-PST
1p undergo-PRS midnight
time pass-PRS
and 1s sleep-PRS alone ADV
♂♥♂♀

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I vaguely remember that some time ago, someone asked about a script where the writing direction of words is different from the general writing direction of that script. Does anyone recall what thread that was in?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Nathan Evans sounds to me like he’s singing:

Before the boat had hett the water
The whale’s tail came up and caught her
All hands to the side harpunned and fought her
When she dived down low

What dialects have hett for hit, and harpunned for harpooned?
And what, if there is one, is the technical name for these differences?

And should i be asking in a different forum?
Do we have one for YAEPTs?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Creyeditor wrote: 05 Jan 2021 13:47 I vaguely remember that some time ago, someone asked about a script where the writing direction of words is different from the general writing direction of that script. Does anyone recall what thread that was in?
I don't recall what thread, but that sounds like one of Kiwikami's conlangs' scripts.
♂♥♂♀

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

eldin raigmore wrote: 09 Feb 2021 03:07 Nathan Evans sounds to me like he’s singing:

Before the boat had hett the water
The whale’s tail came up and caught her
All hands to the side harpunned and fought her
When she dived down low

What dialects have hett for hit, and harpunned for harpooned?
And what, if there is one, is the technical name for these differences?

And should i be asking in a different forum?
Do we have one for YAEPTs?
It's very hard to answer questions like "in what dialect does their 'hit' sound like my 'hett'?", because you yourself have a dialect, and we don't know how you pronounce 'hett'. (or why you spell it with two 't's, for that matter, since the one-t version is (several) word(s) and the two-t version is neither a word nor demanded by English spelling rules, so I'm not sure what you're trying to indicate...)

Assuming that you just mean that /I/ is lowered, then this is a common feature of North American dialects, often accompanied by backing. It occurs both in the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, and in the Canadian/Californian Vowel Shift. For many speakers, /I/ is now the same height or lower than /e/. It's also a feature of New Zealand English (but not Australian), and it's one of the most stereotypical Northern Irish features (for a really strong accent, it can almost sound as though it's down at /V/, as in "fush 'n' chups"). It can also occur in Scotland. And probably a bunch of other places too.

But trying to guess where their /u/ (which varies a lot in English) might sound like you /U/ (which also varies a lot in English) is a fool's errand!

Or, you know, you could look at Wikipedia and discover that if you're talking about the guy who sings sea shanties on tiktok, he's Scottish. Specifically, he was born and worked in North Lanarkshire.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Nearly twenty years ago I found a website listing overused tropes in science fiction writing, ranking them on a scale where the highest ranked tropes could be believable given the right explanation, and the lowest ranked ones were deemed impossible no matter the explanation. There were also pig symbols for sexist tropes, and some fit into multiple categories ... e.g. aliens whose females resemble human women but males look like monsters was considered both sexist and impossible.

I know TVTropes exists and has a lot more details, but on the off chance that someone recognizes my description of this site, do you have the link handy? It may have been already old even twenty years ago, and it may not have even used the word trope.

--Thanks,
--Soap

edit: i found a version of it at https://www.cthreepo.com/writing/cliche/ .... the font size is much larger than the original but this for all practical purposes is the list i was looking for. http://www.oocities.org/evilsnack/cliche.htm is probably better
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Huh, I thought I remembered there having been a conversation in response to that. Well, never mind.

Anyway, yesterday I was struck by some cybermonday sales offering SD card at better than half price. I was sore tempted, on account of the discount - "but it's such a good investment!", I grumbled to myself. "I'll probably need one of those one day!". But no: "nonsense!" quoth I. "I've got plenty of space on the card I've already got - it's not like the old 500mb on a card days when you needed more than one of them, this one will do for years, if not forever!"

And today, my SD card doesn't work. It isn't recognised by my computer. Or by any other computer, so far as I can see. (or by my phone; but, to be fair, I think it's bigger than my phone is able to recognise anyway, so that might be a phone problem rather than a card problem). [more details of failure:
Spoiler:
a while back, it became weird one day and then wouldn't work. But I swapped it into another card... holder? the big cards that the little cards go in... and it worked again, even though the old card holder still worked with other cards. Today it happened again. Like last time, it happened when trying to access the card while my computer was getting in a tizzy about something else (firefox misusing its memory). This time, it seemed to be fine at first, but I couldn't read from or write off the card - I could see the files but not open them. At one point it warned me that the card was 'dirty'. Anyway, I did the simple checkdisk, no problem; then I did the more complicated one (where it tries to repair bad sectors). Then the card disappeared from the computer, and has been invisible ever since. The card doesn't look physically damaged at all - unless... could the heat of the computer have... melted its circuits!? My laptop is prone to overheating (it's a fault of the model; they knew about this, so the fan comes on in over-paranoid fashion]. But that seems hard to believe. I wonder whether it's actually just a logical error caused by the checkdisk process being interrupted? But the level of deadness seems greater than that?
]

I've tried a few things to fix it. But all the fixes for "my computer doesn't recognise my card" seem to rely on my computer being able to recognise my card...
- I can't run checkdisk from file explorer because it doesn't know it's there
- I can't run chkdsk from the command line because it say the volume cannot be opened (because it doesn't know it's there)
- I can't change its assigned drive letter in Disk Management, because it doesn't know it's there
- I can't run a file recovery program, because the free ones I've tried all ask me to select the thing I want to scan for files, and it's not there (some of them explicitly say it needs to have an assigned drive letter)

I have tried disabling/enabling and uninstalling/installing the hardware card reader, to no effect. [well, maybe some? after the initial problem and before I reinstalled, it seemed a bit dodgy on whether it would recognise other cards after the problem card was in there (eg having to disable/enable the reader and then remove and reinsert the new card). But doing this has made all the other cards work fine, yet has had no effect on the bad one)]

-----------

So, some questions:
- is there any hope of getting data off the card, and/or being able to format and reuse the card? if so, how?

- more specifically, I've heard rumours that reading the card through a USB adaptor can sometimes read unreadable cards. Any truth to that? (speaking of things I bought once on the basis that it might be helpful one day... and that I have absolutely zero chance of discovering the current location of)

- am I stupid to try to store things on SD cards in the first place? I like them because they're convenient, and because they seemed more reliable than external harddrives, with all their moving parts (I had an HD fail on me once, but to be fair it was long ago and probably less advanced tech than today). I've always assumed that even if some files get damaged now and then due to a bad sector, the rest could be salvaged, more easily than on an HD (where there are actual physical things that can go wrong). But if they're so fragile, and completely wipe their complete contents every now and then for no apparent reason, then maybe I need to find another external HD?

[I've only had two memory drives fail before (other than the odd damaged file). One was an old memory stick that I stupidly stuck into an unfamiliar port, which turned out to be a stick-wiping port (a friend's old computer - I think there was some short circuit problem that basically fried anything you connected to that port?); the other was a Kingston SD card from Amazon that just never worked (and for all I know is just a scam piece of plastic with some gold leaf painted onto it). But this one was a reputable SanDisk card, worked fine before, not knowing done anything to it, suddenly and completely kaput. It's disconcerting.]

Anyway, sorry for the rambling old-man-technology-question...
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

the simplest prudence would want us to always save on several supports...
the dematerialization paradoxically makes us much more vulnerable to the material breakdown...
so at the first sign of weakness, time is running out...

when it's too late, we have to accept our human condition...

I lost a lot on hardware failures, to the point that I don't store anything important anymore...
for conlanging, I only use my brain (and the day it will burn out, it won't matter to me...)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Salmoneus wrote: 01 Dec 2021 00:28 Huh, I thought I remembered there having been a conversation in response to that. Well, never mind.
There was a conversation. It was here.
♂♥♂♀

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Did we have a "What are you reading?"-thread here? I though we had, but now I can't find it. Maybe people just posted stuff in the conversatopn thread?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Creyeditor wrote: 10 Apr 2022 15:27 Did we have a "What are you reading?"-thread here? I though we had, but now I can't find it. Maybe people just posted stuff in the conversatopn thread?
Might this be what you're thinking of?