The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Ossicone »

Salmoneus wrote: 26 Sep 2020 13:18 Is it just me for whom the board's spacing is now broken?
When I updated the phpbb version it overwrote some of the custom styling I had done before. What's different? As I haven't noticed the change.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Ossicone wrote: 26 Sep 2020 21:58
Salmoneus wrote: 26 Sep 2020 13:18 Is it just me for whom the board's spacing is now broken?
When I updated the phpbb version it overwrote some of the custom styling I had done before. What's different? As I haven't noticed the change.
It's only happened today, not back when the board was last offline (that I noticed). It may just be me, I'll see if it still does it tomorrow.

The problem is that the first line of the post isn't allowed to occur until after the last line of the poster info in the box to the right. The boxes themselves are aligned, but it puts a big space in each post box before the post content itself (and correspondingly a big space at the bottom of each user box).

EDIT: in fact, even the post-engagement buttons (edit, report) are pushed down in this way - not just the content of the post.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

(Happy Stanislav Petrov Day everybody, incidentally)
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Salmoneus wrote: 27 Sep 2020 03:05 (Happy Stanislav Petrov Day everybody, incidentally)
Fascinating story!
I remember where I was that day.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Just a random thought: I mainly use a Mac when doing conlang stuff because it's so easy to type accented characters on a Mac (as simple as holding down "e" and then pressing "5" to get an e with a macron). Because Lihmelinyan accents every stressed vowel and uses macrons for long vowels, this had become very easy on a Mac and when I went to use my PC, I had to copy and paste characters from the Character Map and it's a huge bother. But recently I discovered WinCompose, which allows you to input any unicode character (way more than what the Mac's built-in capabilities allow). You select one key as the "compose" key (in my case, right Alt since I never use the right shift/alt/ctrl) and then enter a sequence to get an accented character. The best part is, you don't have to hold any keys down. Just press Alt, e, ' in that sequence to get é.

http://wincompose.info/

Just wanted to share this in case anyone was looking for a good way to input accented characters on Windows [:)]
rainbowcult
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by rainbowcult »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 29 Sep 2020 21:45 Just a random thought: I mainly use a Mac when doing conlang stuff because it's so easy to type accented characters on a Mac (as simple as holding down "e" and then pressing "5" to get an e with a macron). Because Lihmelinyan accents every stressed vowel and uses macrons for long vowels, this had become very easy on a Mac and when I went to use my PC, I had to copy and paste characters from the Character Map and it's a huge bother. But recently I discovered WinCompose, which allows you to input any unicode character (way more than what the Mac's built-in capabilities allow). You select one key as the "compose" key (in my case, right Alt since I never use the right shift/alt/ctrl) and then enter a sequence to get an accented character. The best part is, you don't have to hold any keys down. Just press Alt, e, ' in that sequence to get é.

Just wanted to share this in case anyone was looking for a good way to input accented characters on Windows [:)]
I got a new laptop and don't have it set up yet, however on windows 7 I found you can change your keyboard language to the Canadian multinational standard. It's an almost identical layout, however "\][';/`" are all changed to french diacritical marks. I'm not sure on other marks.
♂♥♂♀
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

I've been using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator for years to design my own custom layouts, where I add AltGr as a modifier key for the characters I commonly use. That way I don't have to worry about any brackets having moved (as is often the case when using a layout for a different language or region), and I can get exactly the characters that I commonly need, such as AltGr+t > þ. I used to have a modifier for IPA too, but lately I've been using my XIPA page for that instead.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 29 Sep 2020 21:45 Just a random thought: I mainly use a Mac when doing conlang stuff because it's so easy to type accented characters on a Mac (as simple as holding down "e" and then pressing "5" to get an e with a macron). Because Lihmelinyan accents every stressed vowel and uses macrons for long vowels, this had become very easy on a Mac and when I went to use my PC, I had to copy and paste characters from the Character Map and it's a huge bother. But recently I discovered WinCompose, which allows you to input any unicode character (way more than what the Mac's built-in capabilities allow). You select one key as the "compose" key (in my case, right Alt since I never use the right shift/alt/ctrl) and then enter a sequence to get an accented character. The best part is, you don't have to hold any keys down. Just press Alt, e, ' in that sequence to get é.

The ordinary European accents (but not macrons) are already available on the standard keyboards. In "UK Extended", é is just alt+' and then e. è is even easier, because it's just ` followed by e, no alt required (does make it a bit annoying to type `, but fortunately that never happens, so...)

I used to have a personalised keyboard set up on an old computer, but I mostly only use these accents in Word, so I just have Word shortcuts set up now. Although admittedly, perhaps I should set up a keyboard so that I can actually use Excel (which, frustratingly, doesn't allow shortcuts for special characters).
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

That's good to know. You can also use alt codes but this requires a dedicated number-pad and doesn't work in every program. WinCompose is helpful for say, writing Dvorak's name (Dvořák) in a music program. Even the Mac's built-in capabilities can't produce ř without going into the Character Viewer or using a Czech keyboard layout. The only problem is memorizing the combinations. I've used the Mac ones for so long that I can type ā, ē, ī almost as quickly as I can type anything else.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Currently trending on twitter in the UK: cumin, dogging, Phil Collins, "Allahu Akbar".

...this is a strange country.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

You've gotta love a conlang that has a word for "chad".

https://web.archive.org/web/20060615025 ... glish.html
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 17 Oct 2020 20:21 You've gotta love a conlang that has a word for "chad".

I'm certain Herman was playing with the whole hanging chad thing that was the crisis du jour in the last year of the last century!

Interesting factoidito: Czirehlat is, along with Shirehlat, one of the dialects of his language Tirehlat.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 18 Oct 2020 00:06
Khemehekis wrote: 17 Oct 2020 20:21 You've gotta love a conlang that has a word for "chad".

I'm certain Herman was playing with the whole hanging chad thing that was the crisis du jour in the last year of the last century!
That was what I figured as well! The hanging and dimpled chads made a mínga president!
♂♥♂♀

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

I'm 23, as of today. What a time to be alive.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Happy Birthday, shimo! [:D]
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

shimobaatar wrote: 20 Oct 2020 13:46 I'm 23, as of today. What a time to be alive.
Happy birthday!
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

shimobaatar wrote: 20 Oct 2020 13:46 What a time to be alive.
Yes, it is. It's the one you time get to be alive, in this old world!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

qwed117 wrote: 20 Oct 2020 18:00 Happy Birthday, shimo! [:D]
kiwikami wrote: 20 Oct 2020 20:11 Happy birthday!
Thank you!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Happy twenty-third, Shimobaatar! As the fortune cookie goes: "May you live in interesting times".
♂♥♂♀

sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Khemehekis wrote: 24 Oct 2020 09:18 Happy twenty-third, Shimobaatar! As the fortune cookie goes: "May you live in interesting times".
Isn't that a bad thing? "Interesting times" refers to things like rebellions, famines, general upheaval. It's "uninteresting times" that's the good one, isn't it? That's how Pratchett ended up using it anyway.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.