Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Drewen05
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by Drewen05 »

Hello everyone! It's been quite a while, oops

I'm in a pretty similar situation as Qwed a few posts above me (although that's from almost a year ago now), and he's actually the first person I messaged with on here ironically! This is what my activity looked like when I logged in today:
  • Last active: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:49 pm
I'm now 18 years old and a freshman in college. I'm currently undeclared but highly considering a dual anthropology/geography major. My love for learning about different cultures and the past has not faded, thankfully. I know a hell of a lot more now than I did when I was 14(!) back in 2015.

I remember lurking on here for quite a while before creating an account, and I've lurked sporadically since I last logged in. I thought it was the coolest thing that I could see the hosts of the Conlangery Podcast in the wild! I have not been very active in conlanging lately, although I counted 30+ drafts in various stages of completeness from my old notebooks. I'm currently working on a test language to more or less get back into the swing of things. I want to create a language(s) and culture(s) that I stick with and like. I've also been browsing through "Describing Morphosyntax" and "The World's Major Languages" for inspiration/fun thanks to my university's library.

I look forward to getting back into this awesome pastime [:)]
Native: :eng:
Intermediate: :esp:
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome (back)!
ParMowch
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by ParMowch »

Hello everyone! I'm new to the board and I'd like to introduce myself before I start posting all over the place.

I have always been interested in language, and I've been learning various languages and conlanging with various levels of success for around 10 years. I've gotten more serious about it as of a year or so ago, having taking on a large-scale worldbuilding project in anticipation of running a Pathfinder campaign in the setting, as well as making it available to myself and others, should they be interested in using it, for writing projects and any other creative undertakings. I have one language, Nimesian, fairly well fleshed out and others in the works, with plans to do around five or so languages for the first "version" - realistically I'm going to let the project lead me wherever it wants to!

I post regularly on Reddit's r/conlangs as u/mei9, and I came here in order to expand my horizons and present my work and ideas in what strikes me as a more discerning and "serious" community which I hope will challenge me to learn more in order to conlang more skillfully.

I look forward to getting feedback and learning from all of you!
Jima sah ëccathë min haruwac cimisi so isaëh! May the Gods find favor with your house!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the board, ParMowch!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

ParMowch wrote: 20 Feb 2020 16:56 I've gotten more serious about it as of a year or so ago, having taking on a large-scale worldbuilding project in anticipation of running a Pathfinder campaign in the setting,
Pathfinder? Is that a reference to the NASA spacecraft Pathfinder?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Khemehekis wrote: 28 Feb 2020 08:05
ParMowch wrote: 20 Feb 2020 16:56 I've gotten more serious about it as of a year or so ago, having taking on a large-scale worldbuilding project in anticipation of running a Pathfinder campaign in the setting,
Pathfinder? Is that a reference to the NASA spacecraft Pathfinder?
I assume they're referring to this. I couldn't find anything on the Wikipedia page or Google about why it's called that, although I only did a very brief search, so I don't know if the name is meant to be a reference to the spacecraft in particular.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Iirc, the name was part of Pathfinder's idea of trying to be less eurocentric, with more allusions to non-European countries. 'Pathfinder' is a term used about native american warriors/scouts/etc, although I don't know if it has a native descent or is just a creation of European romanticism...
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Huh. So they're not making that flagship bit of geekery Dungeons & Dragons anymore -- it's evolved into something else? Or at least a different name?

Also, the word "pathfinder" reminds me of the Oesterreichpfadfinder, or Austrian Boy Scouts. So it is European to my mind. I wasn't aware of its Native American usage.
♂♥♂♀

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Feb 2020 15:46 Huh. So they're not making that flagship bit of geekery Dungeons & Dragons anymore -- it's evolved into something else? Or at least a different name?
No, they are. Pathfinder is a different RPG that, apparently, started out as a modified version of D&D.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shimobaatar wrote: 29 Feb 2020 16:06
Khemehekis wrote: 29 Feb 2020 15:46 Huh. So they're not making that flagship bit of geekery Dungeons & Dragons anymore -- it's evolved into something else? Or at least a different name?
No, they are. Pathfinder is a different RPG that, apparently, started out as a modified version of D&D.
Oh, I see.

I don't think I ever knew anyone at school (I'm an early Millennial) who played Dungeons & Dragons -- instead you would see people playing Magic: The Gathering. So I thought maybe something that had its peak of popularity in the eighties (?) could've been discontinued.
♂♥♂♀

LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Feb 2020 16:10
shimobaatar wrote: 29 Feb 2020 16:06
Oh, I see.

I don't think I ever knew anyone at school (I'm an early Millennial) who played Dungeons & Dragons -- instead you would see people playing Magic: The Gathering. So I thought maybe something that had its peak of popularity in the eighties (?) could've been discontinued.
There are several podcasts of people playing the most recent version of D&D (5th edition), including Critical Role, which has had two campaigns already.
Sglod
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Sglod »

Hi everyone! I thought I'd better post here before I start posting again. My name is apparently Sglod - I created this account back in 2015 when I was 15, rather naive, and obsessed with Welsh hence the nickname...

I've lurked here for probably about 8 years, and have messed with conlanging and linguistics ever since. I'm currently 20 years old, I'm from the UK, and I'm just finishing my first year of uni.

I'm looking forward to engaging with this forum a bit better than I did 3-5 years ago.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome back to the board, and congratulations on making it through your first year!

In terms of "I made this account/username back when I was a teenager", I can definitely relate…
sasasha
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sasasha »

Hello. I joined the ZBB in 2001. I'm about to turn 30. The CBB has always been a shady otherworld to me, like the Upside Down. Decided to check it out.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the CBB! I hope it doesn't turn out to be as shady as it might seem. [:)]
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

sasasha wrote: 08 Jul 2020 15:03 Hello. I joined the ZBB in 2001. I'm about to turn 30. The CBB has always been a shady otherworld to me, like the Upside Down. Decided to check it out.
Good to see you!

(wow, didn't realise you started out younger than Maknas...)
sasasha
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sasasha »

Salmoneus wrote: 08 Jul 2020 18:56
sasasha wrote: 08 Jul 2020 15:03 Hello. I joined the ZBB in 2001. I'm about to turn 30. The CBB has always been a shady otherworld to me, like the Upside Down. Decided to check it out.
Good to see you!

(wow, didn't realise you started out younger than Maknas...)
Thanks! I do remember you, Sal; do you not post on the other board anymore?

I used to have a ZBB team on Worms and I think you were in it [xD]

I think it might have been '02, actually. I remember repeatedly saying I was twelve in all caps. Pretty sure I was a proper little shit at first.
shimobaatar wrote: 08 Jul 2020 17:31 Welcome to the CBB! I hope it doesn't turn out to be as shady as it might seem. [:)]
Thanks, shimobaatar!
Mecejide
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Mecejide »

Hello!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Mecejide wrote: 09 Jul 2020 06:06Hello!
Welcome to the board!
mwchase
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by mwchase »

Hi!

I'm mwchase. I've been trying to do stuff with conlanging and worldbuilding for a while. I recently decided to get a little more serious, and as part of that, I'm joining various communities so I'm not working totally in a vacuum.

I've got a few projects I've started and put down, of varying levels of ambition. I'd like to get back to some of the ones with a more restricted scope. I'll try to write up stuff on that within a week or so.