The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
User avatar
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin
Posts: 2908
Joined: 12 Aug 2010 05:20
Location: I've heard it both ways.
Contact:

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Ossicone »

Salmoneus wrote: 26 Sep 2020 13:18 Is it just me for whom the board's spacing is now broken?
When I updated the phpbb version it overwrote some of the custom styling I had done before. What's different? As I haven't noticed the change.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2062
Joined: 19 Sep 2011 19:37

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Salmoneus »

Ossicone wrote: 26 Sep 2020 21:58
Salmoneus wrote: 26 Sep 2020 13:18 Is it just me for whom the board's spacing is now broken?
When I updated the phpbb version it overwrote some of the custom styling I had done before. What's different? As I haven't noticed the change.
It's only happened today, not back when the board was last offline (that I noticed). It may just be me, I'll see if it still does it tomorrow.

The problem is that the first line of the post isn't allowed to occur until after the last line of the poster info in the box to the right. The boxes themselves are aligned, but it puts a big space in each post box before the post content itself (and correspondingly a big space at the bottom of each user box).

EDIT: in fact, even the post-engagement buttons (edit, report) are pushed down in this way - not just the content of the post.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2062
Joined: 19 Sep 2011 19:37

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Salmoneus »

(Happy Stanislav Petrov Day everybody, incidentally)
User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 5630
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by eldin raigmore »

Salmoneus wrote: 27 Sep 2020 03:05 (Happy Stanislav Petrov Day everybody, incidentally)
Fascinating story!
I remember where I was that day.
User avatar
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek
Posts: 522
Joined: 15 Feb 2016 06:10
Location: Northern California

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Just a random thought: I mainly use a Mac when doing conlang stuff because it's so easy to type accented characters on a Mac (as simple as holding down "e" and then pressing "5" to get an e with a macron). Because Lihmelinyan accents every stressed vowel and uses macrons for long vowels, this had become very easy on a Mac and when I went to use my PC, I had to copy and paste characters from the Character Map and it's a huge bother. But recently I discovered WinCompose, which allows you to input any unicode character (way more than what the Mac's built-in capabilities allow). You select one key as the "compose" key (in my case, right Alt since I never use the right shift/alt/ctrl) and then enter a sequence to get an accented character. The best part is, you don't have to hold any keys down. Just press Alt, e, ' in that sequence to get é.

http://wincompose.info/

Just wanted to share this in case anyone was looking for a good way to input accented characters on Windows [:)]
User avatar
rainbowcult
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 23
Joined: 31 Aug 2020 02:22

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by rainbowcult »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 29 Sep 2020 21:45 Just a random thought: I mainly use a Mac when doing conlang stuff because it's so easy to type accented characters on a Mac (as simple as holding down "e" and then pressing "5" to get an e with a macron). Because Lihmelinyan accents every stressed vowel and uses macrons for long vowels, this had become very easy on a Mac and when I went to use my PC, I had to copy and paste characters from the Character Map and it's a huge bother. But recently I discovered WinCompose, which allows you to input any unicode character (way more than what the Mac's built-in capabilities allow). You select one key as the "compose" key (in my case, right Alt since I never use the right shift/alt/ctrl) and then enter a sequence to get an accented character. The best part is, you don't have to hold any keys down. Just press Alt, e, ' in that sequence to get é.

http://wincompose.info/

Just wanted to share this in case anyone was looking for a good way to input accented characters on Windows [:)]
I got a new laptop and don't have it set up yet, however on windows 7 I found you can change your keyboard language to the Canadian multinational standard. It's an almost identical layout, however "\][';/`" are all changed to french diacritical marks. I'm not sure on other marks.
♂♥♂♀
User avatar
Aevas
admin
admin
Posts: 1424
Joined: 11 May 2010 05:46
Location: ꜱᴇ

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Aevas »

I've been using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator for years to design my own custom layouts, where I add AltGr as a modifier key for the characters I commonly use. That way I don't have to worry about any brackets having moved (as is often the case when using a layout for a different language or region), and I can get exactly the characters that I commonly need, such as AltGr+t > þ. I used to have a modifier for IPA too, but lately I've been using my XIPA page for that instead.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2062
Joined: 19 Sep 2011 19:37

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Salmoneus »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 29 Sep 2020 21:45 Just a random thought: I mainly use a Mac when doing conlang stuff because it's so easy to type accented characters on a Mac (as simple as holding down "e" and then pressing "5" to get an e with a macron). Because Lihmelinyan accents every stressed vowel and uses macrons for long vowels, this had become very easy on a Mac and when I went to use my PC, I had to copy and paste characters from the Character Map and it's a huge bother. But recently I discovered WinCompose, which allows you to input any unicode character (way more than what the Mac's built-in capabilities allow). You select one key as the "compose" key (in my case, right Alt since I never use the right shift/alt/ctrl) and then enter a sequence to get an accented character. The best part is, you don't have to hold any keys down. Just press Alt, e, ' in that sequence to get é.

http://wincompose.info/

Just wanted to share this in case anyone was looking for a good way to input accented characters on Windows [:)]
The ordinary European accents (but not macrons) are already available on the standard keyboards. In "UK Extended", é is just alt+' and then e. è is even easier, because it's just ` followed by e, no alt required (does make it a bit annoying to type `, but fortunately that never happens, so...)

I used to have a personalised keyboard set up on an old computer, but I mostly only use these accents in Word, so I just have Word shortcuts set up now. Although admittedly, perhaps I should set up a keyboard so that I can actually use Excel (which, frustratingly, doesn't allow shortcuts for special characters).
User avatar
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek
Posts: 522
Joined: 15 Feb 2016 06:10
Location: Northern California

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

That's good to know. You can also use alt codes but this requires a dedicated number-pad and doesn't work in every program. WinCompose is helpful for say, writing Dvorak's name (Dvořák) in a music program. Even the Mac's built-in capabilities can't produce ř without going into the Character Viewer or using a Czech keyboard layout. The only problem is memorizing the combinations. I've used the Mac ones for so long that I can type ā, ē, ī almost as quickly as I can type anything else.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2062
Joined: 19 Sep 2011 19:37

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Salmoneus »

Currently trending on twitter in the UK: cumin, dogging, Phil Collins, "Allahu Akbar".


...this is a strange country.
Khemehekis
runic
runic
Posts: 2453
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 09:36
Location: California über alles

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Khemehekis »

You've gotta love a conlang that has a word for "chad".

https://web.archive.org/web/20060615025 ... glish.html
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 66,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2660
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 17 Oct 2020 20:21 You've gotta love a conlang that has a word for "chad".

https://web.archive.org/web/20060615025 ... glish.html
I'm certain Herman was playing with the whole hanging chad thing that was the crisis du jour in the last year of the last century!

Interesting factoidito: Czirehlat is, along with Shirehlat, one of the dialects of his language Tirehlat.
Khemehekis
runic
runic
Posts: 2453
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 09:36
Location: California über alles

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 18 Oct 2020 00:06
Khemehekis wrote: 17 Oct 2020 20:21 You've gotta love a conlang that has a word for "chad".

https://web.archive.org/web/20060615025 ... glish.html
I'm certain Herman was playing with the whole hanging chad thing that was the crisis du jour in the last year of the last century!
That was what I figured as well! The hanging and dimpled chads made a mínga president!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 66,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Post Reply