What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by silvercat »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 02:27 Very Cyrillic-looking! And a bit Seussian/Zebra-esque.
Thanks! I wanted something vaguely Latin looking, but a bit fancier, which I'm pretty sure equals Cyrillic. One of the languages its used for is the English equivalent: lingua franca, complex phonotactics, less synthetic but still with some fun bits - actually aiming for Dutch level or so complexity rather than as smoothed out than English, without it being a relex or a posteriori. Maanxmusht is an extinct relation.
my pronouns: they/them or e/em/eirs/emself
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

I did a blog post about how I'm converting the drawings of my conscript to pretty letters with serifs. http://www.silversspace.com/2020/12/eas ... llustrator Shall I post it here (in Teach & Share) too?
Main conlang: Ŋyjichɯn. Other conlangs: Tsɑkø (naming language), Ie, Tynthna, Maanxmuʃt, Ylialis
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

silvercat wrote: 05 Dec 2020 04:58 I did a blog post about how I'm converting the drawings of my conscript to pretty letters with serifs. http://www.silversspace.com/2020/12/eas ... llustrator Shall I post it here (in Teach & Share) too?
I say YES! Many people have requested advice on how to make fonts. Clawgrip once stated that his acumen with computer font-making was what allowed him to keep and organize such an elaborate logographic system for his Himmaswa (my favorite con-script of all time!)

"Could be worse – you could be carving the whole thing into stone." Hee!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 05:03 I say YES! Many people have requested advice on how to make fonts. Clawgrip once stated that his acumen with computer font-making was what allowed him to keep and organize such an elaborate logographic system for his Himmaswa (my favorite con-script of all time!)

I also have a tutorial of how to use Inspiration Pad Pro, a free rpg random generator, to generate words in a more customizable way that I could adapt for over here. http://www.silversspace.com/2020/05/gen ... rt-3-of-3/

I don't know if I'm the only conlanger on this forum that can't program, but Inspiration Pad Pro works well for me.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

silvercat wrote: 05 Dec 2020 05:13
Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 05:03 I say YES! Many people have requested advice on how to make fonts. Clawgrip once stated that his acumen with computer font-making was what allowed him to keep and organize such an elaborate logographic system for his Himmaswa (my favorite con-script of all time!)

I also have a tutorial of how to use Inspiration Pad Pro, a free rpg random generator, to generate words in a more customizable way that I could adapt for over here. http://www.silversspace.com/2020/05/gen ... rt-3-of-3/

I don't know if I'm the only conlanger on this forum that can't program, but Inspiration Pad Pro works well for me.
"The only conlanger on this forum that can't program"? I never got beyond IF-THEN commands!
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 04 Dec 2020 22:16
elemtilas wrote: 04 Dec 2020 16:54
Khemehekis wrote: 29 Nov 2020 04:38 Castaniamancy? You know, I also have corylomancy.

Today, I drew some life-forms native to Keitel. I drew 5 viruses, 6 bacteria, 5 algae, 6 protozoa, 6 tlogephlaoms (a kingdom of sessile heterotrophs), and 214 blue plants!

Next time: animals!
Can you show us the microiconographs? That would be most instructive!
Microiconographs? As in, computer images? I actually drew them on paper. I'd have to find a scanner to scan my pictures.
Would be interesting to see some images from Lehola!
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Worked on the page for the Omlirt Alphabet and the languages that use it. Some of the letters were borrowed from runes so I ended up making all the Ovim runes. I should see if Dad has any scrap wood to carve it on.
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Is the language also called Omlirt?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
silvercat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by silvercat »

Creyeditor wrote: 10 Dec 2020 09:18 Is the language also called Omlirt?
No, it's named after the country. The language is Ochyn, which I haven't actually made, although I know what letters they used now (although not necessarily what phonemes). I'm trying to fill out the world somewhat but I swear, I have too many language names and not enough time, energy, focus, or knowledge for all the bits I get interested in. (I also really need to make a map...)
All my conlangs
Conlanging blog posts
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I only asked because that would make us almost conlang number neighbours (kind of) with my conlang Omlűt.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Creyeditor wrote: 13 Dec 2020 20:00 I only asked because that would make us almost conlang number neighbours (kind of) with my conlang Omlűt.
The conlang number neighbor for Kankonian appears to be Kanku, according to Janko's list.

(I can't find much about Kanku online, but googling "kanku conlang" reveals that kanku is the Kala word to mark third-person "each other" constructions.)
♂♥♂♀

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Not really today, but I finished writing up the section on property words of the Er'u and I am close to finishing the section on possession.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Added a bunch of writing and drawing nouns to Achel.

pencil chok
pen biz
chalk kiam
crayon ghouim
marker (for writing/drawing) khub
texta khub
magic marker khub
surface li
chalkboard kiamli
blackboard kiamli
markerboard khubli
whiteboard khubli
stain remover zhaim
stain mui
eraser (for chalkboard) kiamzhaim
eraser (for pencil) chokzhaim
eraser (for markerboard) khubzhaim
apron pam
shield pam
smock pam
rainbow brel
colored pencil brelchok
erasable pen zhaimbiz
eraser (for erasable pen) bizzhaim
♂♥♂♀

Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

After a horrifically long drought, I'm back to casually making scripts and designing the rudiments of a lang. I think I've finally grown content in just designing scripts and making JUUUST enough of a language so that I can start to use them and move on. I've learned that it is okay to only do what I enjoy. After all, this is just a hobby, isn't it?

Anyway, here's what I made with my limited resources via Paint at work:

It says: The bison (is) cut by a knife. ‹Tćiskrak aćritokira.›

Code: Select all

Tćiskrak  aćrit- o-        kira.
bison/ACC knife- LINKING-  cuts
So far, instrumentals are encoded via linking it back onto the verb stem minus the infinitive prefix for the vowel class the verb belongs to (which conditions which vowel is chosen as the linking vowel... in this case an O-class verb.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 01 Jan 2021 12:56 Image
I like the aesthetic of that script.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 01 Jan 2021 12:56Tćiskrak aćritokira.
[<3]
Porphyrogenitos
sinic
sinic

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

Today I was browsing the updates for the loglang Toaq (a project that I admire) and suddenly recalled Bloomfield's sketch grammar of Chinese in Language. I was inspired to make a grammatically minimal/constrained engelang type thing based on a reworking of the Chinese grammar sketch, with influences from Toaq as well as from Lojban somewhat. A small preview of the grammar - There are just two top-level word classes, content words and particles. Content words can enter into just four constructions:
  • Subject—predicate
  • Action—goal
  • Head—attribute
  • Topic—comment
All of these constructions are head-initial (er, I guess if you consider the subject in the subject—predicate construction to be a head). (I guess I could also see what it's like if I made it head-final...) Every head is marked with a particle that follows the last word in the head phrase - basically, they serve as a closing parenthesis. Actually, I intended for these particles to actually be clitic suffixes, ablaut vowels, or suprasegmentals that fuse with the preceding word. So a sentence might look like this:

woman HEAD] tall SUBJ] slap HEAD] angry ACTION] man HEAD] rude

Translating as: "The/a tall woman angrily slaps/slapped the/a rude man"

Oops, this went on a bit longer than intended. I think I'm going to work on it a little more before posting more about it. I'm having trouble deciding what exactly the phonological form will look like (since I want it to have self-segregating morpheme shapes...)
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

DesEsseintes wrote: 03 Jan 2021 05:16
Thrice Xandvii wrote: 01 Jan 2021 12:56Tćiskrak aćritokira.
[<3]
You tend to be a fan of my romanizations and such... anything in particular that stands out to you?
elemtilas wrote: 02 Jan 2021 16:42I like the aesthetic of that script.
I like it well enough, and am glad others do as well. It kinda has a bit of a Hebrew vibe, but the language itself has a bit of a slavic/croatian-y inventory of phonemes and has a few words inspired by Mohawk (but just barely).

Anything in particular that you like?

Here's the rest of the possible glyphs in the conscript:
Spoiler:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I got to researching billiard games and learned that pool is billiards, but not all billiards is pool. With a clear understanding of the classification, I finally got around to creating billiards vocabulary for Kankonian.

psoko: billiards, cuesports
spetrik: cue (in billiards)
pul: pool (billiards game)
trippo: trippo (billiards game played on 3 * 1.5-akhatz board)
hazhakh: hazhakh (billiards game played on 4.75 * 2-akhatz board)
snouka: snooker
fraghep: fraghep (billiards game played on 2.5 * 1-akhatz board)
bamshai*apar: carom (two balls being hit) (bam, two + shai*ap, ball + -ar, suffix to indicate a way: "two-baller")
keram: carom (billiards game)
psokia: billiard room (psoko + -ia, suffix to indicate a place)
pulia: poolroom (pul + -ia)
trippia: trippo room (trippo + -ia)
hazhakhia: hazhakh room (hazhakh + -ia)
fraghepia: fraghep room (fraghep + -ia)
furshai*ap: eight-ball (fur, eight + shai*ap)

@37: That does look like Hebrew to me! One of the letters looked just like the letter mem.
♂♥♂♀

Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Jan 2021 04:29 @37: That does look like Hebrew to me! One of the letters looked just like the letter mem.
Yes it does! In fact, looking at them side-by-side, the only major difference is to what part of the vertical stroke the top curve attaches. I have to admit that the starting place was certainly not Hebrew as a goal, but that certainly is where I ended up. My starting inspiration, actually, was to have a script with a whole lot of triangular shapes that would be reversible and then nest together in some way, but I quickly learned that it would be a dyslexic's nightmare, and that I would relatively quickly run out of variability in the character designs I could use.

In the end, I like what I came up with and they are relatively quick to write too, which is a bonus. I may go ahead and shift the language to more of an abjad actually (I know... even more like Hebrew), but there are few vowels, and they have simple shapes that I could easily minimize more, or make into somewhat optional diacritics.