Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by eldin raigmore »

Khemehekis wrote: 06 Aug 2020 00:16 A thought:

Does the CBB House Rules post need a mention of bringing drama from other conlanging communities like the ZBB or the Conlang WorkShop over here? From what I recall, there used to be a part of the "Be Civil" rule that read, "Don't go posting that some random dude you met in another forum is an idiot". There's no mention of that anymore, which makes me wonder if the moderators' attitude towards flaming people who aren't members of this site has changed (although given some recent posts by mods, I'm guessing it hasn't).

Do other people on this board think there might be some value in mentioning this again in Rule #1?
I do.
I’m only one guy, and not necessarily very influential, but yes; I think so.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Does the CBB House Rules post need a mention of bringing drama from other conlanging communities like the ZBB or the Conlang WorkShop over here? From what I recall, there used to be a part of the "Be Civil" rule that read, "Don't go posting that some random dude you met in another forum is an idiot". There's no mention of that anymore, which makes me wonder if the moderators' attitude towards flaming people who aren't members of this site has changed (although given some recent posts by mods, I'm guessing it hasn't).

Do other people on this board think there might be some value in mentioning this again in Rule #1?
From what I can remember of the old set of rules (before the change in 2017), the section in Rule 1 about that sort of things was effectively along the lines of "do not discuss people who are off-Board, or talk about them (solely) offensively" (I think with reference to people like George Bush). IIRC, it also went so far as to not mention anything on-going in the real world, which sort of takes out the chance for anyone to vent about personal issues (which was then why "tread carefully" was added/expanded to include as many examples as it does).

I think we took that out because, as we were trying to move to the current set of rules (which were meant to make certain topics less restricted, like politics, sexuality, religion, etc.), including that section would have meant lifting that restriction a little more difficult (although I suppose the other option would have been to keep the restriction, but allow it should it be "relevant to the topic", which would have been fine).

There's definitely some value to including it, as dealing with drama from elsewhere online that makes its way here does mean that it has to be dealt with using other rules (Rule 1, Rule 2, and Rule 4, for example), but I think the "don't say someone somewhere else on the internet is a racist and just move on" rule was sort of subsumed into the other rules (it could be considered an ad hominem attack (Rule 1) especially without any evidence (Rule 2), it assumes someone's motives and treats them as fact (Rule 4), and it then falls under the realms of a sensitive topic (Rule 3).

I think it's definitely worth discussing, though, as well as a couple of other things we've become aware of in the past couple of weeks.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

sangi39 wrote: 06 Aug 2020 00:55

From what I can remember of the old set of rules (before the change in 2017), the section in Rule 1 about that sort of things was effectively along the lines of "do not discuss people who are off-Board, or talk about them (solely) offensively" (I think with reference to people like George Bush
...who was actually president when that rule was originally written, so that part at least was badly in need of an update. [:D] In any case, yeah, there was an explicit mention that "no flaming" applies to non-members as well.
IIRC, it also went so far as to not mention anything on-going in the real world, which sort of takes out the chance for anyone to vent about personal issues (which was then why "tread carefully" was added/expanded to include as many examples as it does).

I think we took that out because, as we were trying to move to the current set of rules (which were meant to make certain topics less restricted, like politics, sexuality, religion, etc.), including that section would have meant lifting that restriction a little more difficult (although I suppose the other option would have been to keep the restriction, but allow it should it be "relevant to the topic", which would have been fine).
A part of the problem, as I recall, was that some of those topics were already basically banned altogether (religion especially, which itself was occasionally problematic on a conworlding board), while others weren't really covered at all – plus the rules were already getting kind of verbose, so just tacking new stuff onto them seemed like a less than ideal solution. So we needed something more comprehensive but less wordy, as well as less restrictive but in some respects also more so.

So certainly, it's a compromise, and I guess it's possible that some part of the baby was lost with the bathwater. But if that's the case, then we'll just send Igor to find new baby parts and fix it.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

I'm going to keep this comment limited to Khemehekis's point, though I do think a more general discussion of house rules is warranted.

I'm in favour of Few Rules, Simple Rules.

While I concur in spirit, I believe, with eldin and Khemehekis that the action itself is pointless and unwarranted, and should be warned against; I actually don't think it needs to be addressed as a separate rule. I think it would fall under "Be Civil".
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote: 06 Aug 2020 02:16So certainly, it's a compromise, and I guess it's possible that some part of the baby was lost with the bathwater. But if that's the case, then we'll just send Igor to find new baby parts and fix it.
This may be one of the best sentences I've read in a while [xD]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Congratulations to Creyeditor on being made an MVP!
Vlürch
greek
greek

Post by Vlürch »

Yeah, congrats to Creyeditor!
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Thank you both [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Yes, congrats! I really had fun figuring out Creyeditor's germlang in the "Guess the word" thread, and then shortly after Creyeditor became an MVP, Creyeditor (I don't know if Creyeditor is a she or a he) helped me understand my own Shaleyan better.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I think your post magically reappeared today (or it's a strange déjà vu on my part). Anyway, thank you again [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Creyeditor wrote: 02 Jan 2021 11:46 I think your post magically reappeared today (or it's a strange déjà vu on my part). Anyway, thank you again [:)]
Weird. You're welcome!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Otto Kretschmer was a sock puppet? Huh. I didn't pick up on that at first, but reading over Lothar's posts, I can definitely see the similarity.

(And googling the names, I see they were both real names of German military figures.)
♂♥♂♀

Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

The link in the Name Change thread to the post actually about how to change one’s nick says I am not authorized to read the forum.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Linguifex wrote: 27 Jan 2021 03:23 The link in the Name Change thread to the post actually about how to change one’s nick says I am not authorized to read the forum.
It should work now. The original link pointed to an older version of the rules that is now archived.
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

It would be nice to have phpBB a tag for glossing, like the one the ZBB has. phpBB comes with its own mechanism to make new tags with HTML replacements.

Here is what the ZBB uses. The phpBB code:

Code: Select all

[gloss={TEXT2}]{TEXT1}[/gloss]
and this is the HTML replacement entered into the relevant phpBB admin page:

<dl style="display:inline-block;margin:0 0.3em"><dt><span style="font-weight:bold">{TEXT1}</span></dt><dd style="margin:0">{TEXT2}</dd></dl>
Unfortunately this only allows two-level glosses... But romanization + gloss is generally enough.
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco »

no idea how phpbbcode works, but if that works, something this should also work.

<dl style="display:inline-block;margin:0 0.3em"><dt><span style="font-weight:bold">{TEXT1}</span></dt><dd style="margin:0">{TEXT2}</dd><dd style="margin:0"><i>{TEXT3}</i></dd></dl>

the other bit, however, i don't know, someone should check the phpbb documentation to see if those tag thingies can take three arguments. maybe it's as easy as treating it as a regex? so like

[gloss={TEXT2}]{TEXT1}|{TEXT3}[/gloss]
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Sequor wrote: 24 Apr 2021 14:21 It would be nice to have phpBB a tag for glossing, like the one the ZBB has. phpBB comes with its own mechanism to make new tags with HTML replacements.

Here is what the ZBB uses. The phpBB code:

[gloss={TEXT2}]{TEXT1}[/gloss]
and this is the HTML replacement entered into the relevant phpBB admin page:

<dl style="display:inline-block;margin:0 0.3em"><dt><span style="font-weight:bold">{TEXT1}</span></dt><dd style="margin:0">{TEXT2}</dd></dl>
Unfortunately this only allows two-level glosses... But romanization + gloss is generally enough.
I did a quick test, and from what I can see you'd get automatic bolding of the top row and an indentation of the entire thing. I'm not sure I see the gain? The indentation is nice, I suppose, but on the other hand you don't see the glossing below the sentence when you're typing. But maybe that's just me?
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Aevas wrote: 16 Jul 2021 16:09I did a quick test, and from what I can see you'd get automatic bolding of the top row and an indentation of the entire thing. I'm not sure I see the gain?
Being able to post the same thing in both places I guess. I agree there's not a lot of gain anyway.
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

I was looking through the smiley flags and realized we have :us-ms: (flag of Mississippi). Mississippi has since changed its flag. Should this get replaced with the new flag?
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Mándinrùh wrote: 11 Nov 2021 14:40 I was looking through the smiley flags and realized we have :us-ms: (flag of Mississippi). Mississippi has since changed its flag. Should this get replaced with the new flag?
in my opinion yes. Do you know how?