Weird Dream Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Re: Weird Dream Thread

Post by LinguistCat »

It's interesting that while your dream is obviously Bible based, the rat and the ox are the first two animals in Chinese astrology.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 12 Mar 2021 17:30 In search of the apple pie no doubt!
[xD]
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

LinguistCat wrote: 12 Mar 2021 20:32 It's interesting that while your dream is obviously Bible based, the rat and the ox are the first two animals in Chinese astrology.
I was thinking about that after I woke up. A combination of cultural traditions, as my dreams often are. The Year of the Ox was big news when it began earlier in 2021.

I was thinking of making that into a Kankonian creation myth, changing Adam to Khari, the first male human on Kankonia, but then I remembered that the Kankonians had never domesticated the cow, so ancient Kankonians wouldn't've known about oxen. Maybe it can be a creation myth on some other planet with a human bioswath . . . or maybe a culture on Damta.
♂♥♂♀

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Mar 16

We were being driven across a bridge perhaps about thirty miles long, enclosed on all four sides, but made of a metallic lattice material such that the surrounding ocean water was visible on all four sides. It looked something like http://pabappa.com/pics/fish/tuxie.jpg and http://pabappa.com/pics/fish/tuxie2.jpg but was the same on all sides. But the person who had set up our trip had hired a chef to drive the vehicle, and he clearly was not up to the job.

Twice within the dream we ended up on top of the bridge ... that is to say, we were on top of the tube, such that if we drove too far to one side we would fall into the ocean. The first time, he was also going backwards at the time, and I remember thinking of it as happening three times because during his first attempt to get us back inside the tube he actually got us even further off course and almost ran into the water.

The dream passed into a stage where I was complaining with the other passengers about his driving skills, and it was revealed he had been hired by a woman .... though not his wife or any close relative of his .... solely because he was a very good cook, and had apparently worked in space at some point and used that as his qualification for how to drive the vehicle. We had thus arrived safely, although somewhat late, and didn't want to return to our homes in the same manner.

This may have been the same dream that later involved a sort of card game, in which various people were being mentioned, two of whom were notorious for hating the other characters, including each other. One of them with the name Mel___ was being described as being the worst, and he could not understand the metaphor of backstabbing, as he presented the other unlovable person with a ceramic showing the two of them making friends, with a knife suspended in an area of gelatin surrounding both of them (these were somewhat like lava lamps). Yet the host then moved on and said that neither of them could compare in any way to Romney, by which he meant the real Mitt Romney, who was also a playable character in this card game. Romney was not as interesting as the other two .... he merely had swindled his consitutents out of billions of dollars by accepting bribes from donors, and retained all of this money after his retirement from the Senate. There was an illustration of Romney after he was voted out office, still with his billions of dollars, and the host said "Why can't I drown in this?" because Romney in this particular illustration was being drawn as if to elicit sympathy.

Mar 17
At a Chinese restaurant in a school-like building. I remember being glad that we had two Chinese restaurants on campus, and they were quite different from each other.

This dream was quite long and I wont type it all up here unless I come back to edit this post later .... mostly Im posting this to point out that during the middle of the dream, the computerized menu malfunctioned, turning entirely into Greek. It was a lot like what had happened in this dream, but I was unaware of the irony, and the dream continued on for quite some time after this scene. I remember the exact feeling "I just dreamt about this sort of thing, and now it's happening" .... it shows that in my dreams, I rarely if ever realize that I'm dreaming. And in a few cases, at least with the more mundane dreams, I wake up thinking they were real and don't realize it until hours later.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Evni Öpiu-sä
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Evni Öpiu-sä »

In my dream, my father drove a collision because he saw a shiny Mew (a terribly rare Pokémon) and he had to catch it quickly or it would disappear.
:fin: - C2
:eng: - ranges from A2 to B2
:swe: - ranges from A1 to A2
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I dreamt of going to church and being admired by a group of old friends that I had completely forgotten. Now that I think of it, they might have been strangers posing as old friends, but they found my watch that I lost at the swimming pool and told me that I could probably get it fixed. Also, in my dreams people usually don't speak, but I explicitely remember the Spanish word 'reloj' from this dream.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I really want to get back to writing in my dream diary, but I just lost interest. Anyway ....

Jul 14

A large white duck had broken into my parents' house, and even after I shooed it out the front door, I was only able to keep it out by closing the door in such a way that it was also difficult for people to get in. I think I had to place heavy weights in front of the door such that the duck could not push through, and humans only barely could. And even then, the duck could follow people in. It was about waist high, but with the proportions of a typical duck, and therefore quite large and strong. I was even worried it would break through the glass screen when it realized it wouldn't be able to push its way through like a human would.

Anyway I soon realized that the duck was here to collect taxes in order to fund health insurance, because our family had almost but not completely paid those taxes. I learned this by reading a card of some sort (I cant remember whether the medium of the "card" was paper, electronic, or indistinct.... sometimes in my dreams the two blend seamlessly together). At the bottom of the card was another graph suggesting (though not confirming) that we were also going to be paying taxes to fund healthcare in Australia, and that perhaps this was just the beginning of a plan in which our tax money would be funding healthcare for the entire world.

This seemingly turned my mother into a conservative. Realizing that she had suddenly spun around just because of this one issue, I spent much of the rest of the dream cynically explaining to her why we needed to welcome in the duck and cooperate so we could fund the healthcare programs without regard for where the money is coming from. But as I was doing this, I was doing other things I don't quite remember. Soon enough I was outside by the swimming pool, which had flooded so much from recent rains that it was under three feet of water. The house was on higher ground and had not flooded, and in fact, we were not greatly inconvenienced by the flood, since we could still swim in the pool area, and for all practical purposes we merely had a much larger swimming pool than before. But I knew that the pump was not designed to run underwater, since there would be no way to push water into water, and I had an argument with a woman who insisted on running the pump even so. A former co-worker of mine was also in the pool area, and the water was almost over her head, and many other people were also there, but they were all indistinct except for my mother and the former co-worker.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Sounds like a Wednesday.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I was outside on a high porch quite similar to my parents' house's backyard porch, and I was eating an Asian rice and noodle dish that had sand mixed in as an ingredient. I was surprised at how delicious the sand was, and marveled over the fact that I was freely eating sand instead of refusing it because there might be spiders crawling in there. It was then that I thought of White Joneser and Gen-X Red Zoners eating sand.

I thought about how people born in the seventies and later were more "modern" than people born in the sixties and earlier, the latter of whom were more conservative and boorish. Then I heard a Madonna song and thought about how Madonna, a bisexual eccentric born in 1958 (making her a Joneser) was an exception.

It was a Madonna song I had heard before. I heard the part about a flower that had four fires starting inside it, which was some kind of metaphor.

I was now in a grocery store, and was watching the parts from the music video for this song play out. I was in the greeting card section, and heard a line about how "I like writing, and you like reading books" directed towards Madonna's lover. I saw the greeting card for this line of the song, which, as shown in the music video, had a boy's face and a girl's face pointing out in opposite directions from a big median heart on the front of the greeting card.

The next few lines were about safety. Each line appeared on its own greeting card, in red block letters with black outline. I was amazed how they actually had so many greeting cards with lines from this Madonna song. As I moved to the right in this greeting card aisle, I read each one as the music played. Some snakes were referenced in this song, and red poisonous snakes appeared. I was amazed that the store was allowed to have snakes in it without the snakes getting euthanized or at least moved to a nature reserve. I was afraid one of these snakes was going to bite and poison me or someone I cared about. Then I woke up.
♂♥♂♀

Tsugar
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Tsugar »

I dreamed that I was in a lake or near a lake, and there was a former classmate I recognized with waist-length hair in braids and I grabbed onto one of her braids as I got out. Pointlessly sexualized dreams.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

There was a position in American football called nuen, theoretically pronounced as IPA /'nju:ən/ ("even in America"), but with the colloquial pronunciation /'ju:ən/ being much more common. It was a bad thing, a term for either a coach or a quarterback who didnt do their job, and all I remember is a fan saying something in a happy voice like "you know, I havent seen any nuens" (on this team).

Fans generally agreed that nuens didn't exist in modern-day American football, which might mean that the term had a very specific definition, rather than being a general-purpose insult, but this is all I remember of the dream.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person forms for the verb were:

ton
tòo

I remember a snippet of an -r but Im calling this corrupt because Im pretty sure I was by this time thinking of the word tornado .

The part I like is that these are believable cognates of the existing pronominal prefixes in the Tapilula language, which is the parent language of most of my languages, and therefore is where this fits best (since the daughters are well supplied by person markers already). the existing prefixes are 1p na- 2p gə- and 3p uses its classifier prefix.

these therefore could relate to the suffixes since 2p gə- is a grammatical alternant of ə- and /ə/ assimilates to a neighboring /o/. Then, /-n/ would have come from an earlier -/nə/ (different schwa, because a different stage of the language) and this would need to have turned into /a/ at some stage perhaps by a rule like /əa/ > /ʲa/ > /a/ (there is a preexisting alternation between /a/ and /i/ which could have come from schwa, and /nʲ/ > /n/ is also a preexisting sound change in this language).

another coincidence is that already means "be" but this isnt quite as interesting because i could just as easily have picked any other 1 syllable CV verb even in my sleep.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I was watching the original Ecco the Dolphin played out but there were some subtle changes .... it was the intro screen, where everything is seemingly happy and the world is a paradise where harmful objects are easily dealt with ..... that much was in common with the real game. There were also humans in this game, playing with and among the dolphins, and I remember being mildly annoyed at the way the humans were portrayed as exotic attractions, .... since the game is dolphin-centric, humans look clumsy, delicate, and out of place to them. Nevertheless that scene was brief and the storyline progressed more or as less as in the original game.

soon one of the dolphins said, "hey! hey! undipas-my-phone!" to the player, echoing the original game where one dolphin mentions to the player about a place called the Undercaves. In this dream, however, the dolphins all had social media access and even managed to make use of smartphones. This dolphin was calling on the others to visit a hashtag (either #undipas-my-phone or just #undipas) to watch the dolphin leap into the air and then land in another pool of water called Undipas. The Undipas scene also featured a throng of humans swimming upwards, as if they expected to be able to leap high in the air along with the dolphins in order to reach Undipas.

I typically only post dreams with some connection to conlanging ... in this dream, the connection is small but present. "Undipas" obviously reflects the original level name of Undercaves, and in the dream I remember believing that pas was a French word meaning "below" or "down", which makes sense because I first encountered the chiptunes of this game in French and therefore learned some of the level names in French too. But after I was awake for a while I realized pas means "below" in Play, not in French. It's also likely that I had some subconscious influence from looking at a list of words in the Dolphin Rider language, including several possible words I could use to mean underwear, especially given that the humans in this dream were living and swimming right alongside the dolphins and were wearing swimsuits not much different in appearance than colored underwear.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I had just inquired about a series of A-words (in English) that weren't already in another conlanger's conlang. Some of these were modern words like "airplane" and "alarm clock". The other conlanger came up with translations for all of these. The words for "airplane" and other modern concepts were compounds of existing roots (fly+vehicle or something), Itlani- or Humrayan-style. I wrote a sentence (that somehow used a bunch of AI- and AL-words) about someone named Dave wearing headphones so he did not hear his kids, and saw an image of a reptoid with headphones on, amidst a sink full of dishwashing soap. The words appeared before me as flat sticks of jerky, in their wrappers like granola bars, already unpeeled a bit and all ready to be unpeeled more and eaten.

As I was about to eat, my attention turned to an episode of Pokémon someone in the house was watching. It showed Ash Ketchum and a girl trainer (whose name also began with A) somehow able to watch a video of the future and watch Ash in a burning house, In the video-within-a-show that the human Pokémon trainers watch, the building collapses as an alarm sounds. Ash watches the video and has learned from the past future as he and the girl are transported back to the beginning of the fire and this time, Ash decides not to stay in the burning house with his friend, but rather to get out.

Just then, I fhink, "But isn't Ash's best friend Pikachu? Is Ash really going to leave Pikachu behind to perish in the fire?" As soon as I think it, I watch Ash zoom back into the basement, where the action is, and shout, "Pikachu!" A Pokéball that has Pikachu inside it jumps and says, "Pika pika!" Ash picks up the Pokéball and tries to fit it inside his pocket or jacket. As I watch Ash fiddling with the Pokéball for several seconds, I wake up.
♂♥♂♀

Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Khemehekis wrote: 04 Jun 2022 08:37I had just inquired about a series of A-words (in English) that weren't already in another conlanger's conlang
I didn’t see the username but as soon as I read this I knew it couldn’t be anyone else.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Man in Space wrote: 07 Jun 2022 17:58
Khemehekis wrote: 04 Jun 2022 08:37I had just inquired about a series of A-words (in English) that weren't already in another conlanger's conlang
I didn’t see the username but as soon as I read this I knew it couldn’t be anyone else.
[:D] Are my posts really that recognizable? Am I that unique? I mean, I know I don't fit the "video-game-playing, metal-listening nerd plagued with social anxiety" paradigm that's dominant on the CBB and ZBB, but I mean unique in conlanging habits and writing style. Hmmm, maybe you could tell because I do (English) words beginning with a certain letter during a particular sitting to grow my conlangs? Like when I shared doing F-words in Kankonian the other day?
♂♥♂♀

Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Khemehekis wrote: 11 Jun 2022 22:39
Man in Space wrote: 07 Jun 2022 17:58
[:D] Are my posts really that recognizable? Am I that unique? I mean, I know I don't fit the "video-game-playing, metal-listening nerd plagued with social anxiety" paradigm that's dominant on the CBB and ZBB, but I mean unique in conlanging habits and writing style. Hmmm, maybe you could tell because I do (English) words beginning with a certain letter during a particular sitting to grow my conlangs? Like when I shared doing F-words in Kankonian the other day?
That's exactly it. You mentioned F-words and then I saw that and was like "That's got to be Khemehekis."
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Man in Space wrote: 12 Jun 2022 19:34 That's exactly it. You mentioned F-words and then I saw that and was like "That's got to be Khemehekis."
I've done that quite a lot. Here's an old post about me doing C-words for Kankonian. You'll note that I add a word for "coronavirus", just as the world is going into lockdown.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Two dreams from the summer of 2014 . . .

In one dream I had what looked like a globe of the world at a distance. Europe looked pretty white, Africa pretty black, China pretty yellow, and the U.S. and Canada covered with mixed specks.

Then I walked up closer and saw the people I had constructed. All of them were famous people. People of European stock were made with white skin, sub-Saharan Africans with black skin, Asians with yellow skin, Jewish people with gold skin, non-Jewish groups from the Middle East with olive skin, South Asians with brown skin, Native Americans with red skin, and Hispanics with pink skin (I don't remember any Pacific Islanders or Portuguese/Brazilian people). I realized the detail I had put into my paper creations. Actual hair colors were copied, and the people who had beards in real life had beards on this "globe" as well. In the U.K., I had a Sir Paul McCartney and John Lennon, along with a black-skinned Tom Jones (of course, he's really a Welsh-blooded blue-eyed soul singer, bot that's not how it was in my dream). When I looked at the British people I had constructed, I discovered that most of them were Black (=black-skinned).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In another dream my family had been staying at a hotel-like building with yellow walls for about a year. Many Asian people stayed (or lived?) there. Then, all of a sudden, I was taken cross-legged throigh the air and into another level, with my hands in my mouth, being painfully bitten, and the feeling that my testicles were being pinched. I then went down several floors, and wondered if I was going to Hell. I wondered if the infernal pinching of my testicles was punishment for being bisexual during life, and figured that the manual pain could refer to any of the myriad things people do with their hands that I had done wrong.

Then I entered a room wherein I saw a man with brown hair and glasses wearing a red suit. He asked me questions. When he asked me a question to which the answer was two, I lifted two fingers on my left hand. Then he asked me a question to which the answer was five, and I was able to make a Roman numeral (V) with two finges of my right hand. I then discovered that my right hand was free to move, and it was only my left hand that was under the clamp of my jaw. I figured that it had to do with the tradition about the left hand being evil.

I went down another level, still with the scrotal and sinistromanual clamping, and by now was torn fifty-fifty as to whether this was afterlife or a dream. It didn't seem like Hell around me -- I saw many Asians, mostly old women and baby girls. I was in a hotel room. There was a lot of pink clothing and furniture (bathtubs, etc.)

The next thing I remember was waking up. I was sucking on my left hand, and I had my junk clutched in my right hand.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I was trying to remember a childhood song. The song, as I recalled, had a lot of /i/ sounds and began, "Do you know that we/Like the chimpanzee/Like the honeybee/And the beetle?" After i woke up, I realized that no such song existed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone had read my entire libretto to The Bittersweet Generation and was doing a critique on it. It was quite the fisk, and took issue with quite a lot. I was reading a bit of it on a smartphone (I've never owned a smartphone in real life) and then saw hard-to-read writing that continued it around a housing block.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in a room where other people were watching a CGI movie, and caught some of it. It had a character named Stopper kill the protagonist's girlfriend by eating her. Then other people shouted that "Stopper" had done too much, and were stomping on Stopper's head. Stopper got shorter and shorter. One character raced across the room to travel back in time.

We then saw the protagonist being served his girlfriend's body shrouded up when he had ordered a meal. Stopper gave him a bundled-up lass whose face appeared milk-white with her eyes closed and a neutral mouth expression. The protagonist commented that "The face looks familiar". As he talked about how familiar it was, I was waiting for him to realize who it was and not eat her.

I edited a Wiktionary article for this franchise, called How to Conquer Your Dragon, and linked to [[Olalia]], which I had thought was the name of the girlfriend.

Someone rewound this part of the movie, and I watched more closely and intently this time. I saw Stopper trying to eat "Olalia", and then I saw the protagonist making it across the screen and out the door in time, before his window on potentially traveling back in time to before his girlfriend was killed closed. Except now I caught her name -- "B.G." -- I was hoping it wasn't "B.X." (like the yellow little boy finosaur in Barney & Friends). They said "B.G." a few times. It wasn't Olalia, apparently. There were all these "mages", as they were called, and each of them had a time-travel move that battled with the others' time travel moves. Our unnamed protagonist had to make it past several lines of mages to save B.G. from Stopper.

I now checked the Wiktionary article another time. There was a Wiktionary page, which now linked to several characters' names. I wondered how in the world the Wiktionary community decided that all these character entries met WT:FICTION.
♂♥♂♀