Pop/Rock thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Pop/Rock thread

Post by Khemehekis »

We have a metal thread, so why not one on the pop/rock continuum? In honor of Kurt Cobain's passing at age 27 being 27 years ago today, I'd like to start the thread today, April 5.

Examples of artists that could be discussed in this thread include Chuck Berry, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, Janis Ian, the Eagles, Jim Croce, Depeche Mode, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, David Bowie, the Human League, Cyndi Lauper, Madness, Billy Joel, the Cure, Nirvana (although they also have their own thread), the Spin Doctors, Pearl Jam, Sophie B. Hawkins, the Sundays, the Wallflowers, Alanis Morissette, No Doubt, Smxsh Mouth, Sarah McLachlan, Jewel, Third Eye Blind, OMC, Blink-182, the Barenaked Ladies, Jimmy Eat World, Avril Lavigne, Michelle Branch, Pink, Nickelback, Coldplay, My Chemical Romance, Peter Bjorn & John, KT Tunstall, Taylor Swift, Colbie Caillat, Panic! at the Disco, the Killers, Ingrid Michaelson, Avicii, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, One Direction, Foster the People, OneRepublic, Gotye, Ellie Goulding, Carly Rae Jepsen, Muse, Imagine Dragons, Passenger, Adele, Adam Lambert, Ed Sheeran, Bastille, Clean Bandit, Sia, Amy Shark, Shawn Mendes, Hailee Steinfeld, Alessia Cara, Ariana Grande, Portugal. The Man, Twenty One Pilots, Dua Lipa, Echosmith, Meghan Trainor, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Vance Joy, Flora Cash, Maroon 5, Aqua, the Cardigans, ABBA, Pharrell, and BTS.

I'm going to get this thread started by posting the music video to the song that inspired part of my signature:

Ingrid Michaelson -- Girls Chase Boys

Michaelson says:
"Girls Chase Boys" started out as a break-up song but took on a deeper meaning as I continued writing. More than just being about my experience, its focus shifted to include the idea that, no matter who or how we love, we are all the same. The video takes that idea one step further, and attempts to turn stereotypical gender roles on their head. Girls don't exclusively chase boys. We all know this. We all chase each other and in the end we are all chasing after the same thing: love.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Pop/Rock thread

Post by qwed117 »

Hey, if we're allowed to talk Carly Rae Jepsen, I will note she released a "Christmas" song last year, of which a stanza reads
Carly Rae Jepsen wrote:My boyfriend is a vegan so they fed him fish
My uncle made it worse by talking politics
I had a few opinions, might have started a fight
Well, it's not Christmas 'til somebody cries
[xD]
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

So, basically, 95% of what I'm listening to today is property of Queen Productions.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

qwed117 wrote: 09 Apr 2021 05:23 Hey, if we're allowed to talk Carly Rae Jepsen, I will note she released a "Christmas" song last year, of which a stanza reads
Carly Rae Jepsen wrote:My boyfriend is a vegan so they fed him fish
My uncle made it worse by talking politics
I had a few opinions, might have started a fight
Well, it's not Christmas 'til somebody cries
[xD]
Hey, I just clicked on that song! First time I heard it -- thanks!

The novelty songs like "I Want an Alien for Christmas", or Bob Rivers' Yuletide parodies, or "I Hate Fruitcake", or the "edgy" songs like Blink-182's "I Won't Be Home for Christmas" or "Merry D*cking Christmas" from South Park, are relatable in a way the maudlin snow-and-sleighing songs like "White Christmas" or "I'll Be Home for Christmas" aren't. I grew up in a region of California where it doesn't snow. I still live in a snow-free California town. And to me, all those songs filled with clicjés about snow and sleigh rides just feel unpleasantly old-fashioned.

Speaking of Carly Rae Jepsen, I learned just the other day that her fans are called Jepsies.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Egerius wrote: 13 Apr 2021 20:34 So, basically, 95% of what I'm listening to today is property of Queen Productions.
Ah, so you're into Freddie Mercury's band!

Pia (the wife of Stan Man, whom I've mentioned here before) likes Queen, and owns a Queen T-shirt. And of course, Homer Simpsons likes them too.

Mercury is the most popular Zoroastrian rock star ever! It's too bad his life was cut so short, or he might still have been putting stuff out today. We don't see too many Zoroastrian popular musicians in Western countries . . . not many compared to atheists (like Billy Joel) or Satanists (like Marilyn Manson).

Here's a task for me: research famous musicians who are deists.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2021 04:40 Here's a task for me: research famous musicians who are deists.
They are among us! You will discover them...
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 15 Apr 2021 04:51
Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2021 04:40 Here's a task for me: research famous musicians who are deists.
They are among us! You will discover them...
https://www.nndb.com/lists/461/000107140/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deists

I don't see a single musician on these lists. [:'(]

Note to self: make self famous.
♂♥♂♀

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2021 05:19https://www.nndb.com/lists/461/000107140/

Well, he isn't famous as a musician, but Benjamin Franklin is famous, and he was a deist and a musician. [:)]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Dormouse559 wrote: 15 Apr 2021 05:50
Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2021 05:19https://www.nndb.com/lists/461/000107140/

Well, he isn't famous as a musician, but Benjamin Franklin is famous, and he was a deist and a musician. [:)]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_ ... _endeavors

Franklin was a musician? I never knew that!

(I could just see Salmoneus acquiring a glass harmonica of the Franklin design.)
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2021 05:19 https://www.nndb.com/lists/461/000107140/

You missed at least two!

Check out Nick Cave and Brett Gurewitz. Both seem to be on topic for this thread as well, as there are other musicians listed, like Ben Franklin.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 15 Apr 2021 07:09
Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2021 05:19 https://www.nndb.com/lists/461/000107140/

You missed at least two!

Check out Nick Cave and Brett Gurewitz. Both seem to be on topic for this thread as well, as there are other musicians listed, like Ben Franklin.
Right you are!

I've heard of Nick Cave and Bad Religion, but I don't believe I've ever heard either of their music. (BTW, the name Nick Cave reminds me of Nick Drake, with whose music this one girl on 4thkingdom.com is obsessed.)
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2021 07:54 Right you are!

I've heard of Nick Cave and Bad Religion, but I don't believe I've ever heard either of their music. (BTW, the name Nick Cave reminds me of Nick Drake, with whose music this one girl on 4thkingdom.com is obsessed.)
It reminded me of Nick Cage, until thát reminded me that I'd got the name wrong, it's actually John Cage, of 4'33'' fame. So not really close at all!
:mrred:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Right now I'm listening to the title track from the Flora Cash album "Nothing Lasts Forever (And It's Fine)". Flora Cash do that song "You're Somebody Else" that you may have heard a few years back. The boy and girl in the band are husband and wife -- he's a White American, she's a Swedish national of Albanian descent.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 16 Apr 2021 22:17

It reminded me of Nick Cage, until thát reminded me that I'd got the name wrong, it's actually John Cage, of 4'33'' fame. So not really close at all!
Are you sure you weren't thinking of this actor?
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 25 Apr 2021 23:54
elemtilas wrote: 16 Apr 2021 22:17

Are you sure you weren't thinking of this actor?
Well, by way of a cross pollenated synaptic weed cluster, yes indeed! I was, in fact, actually thinking of John Cage, but then got the name wrong and realised that, yes, Nicholas Cage is actually a youngish actor and not a long dead composer. [:|]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Saw this tweet today:

https://twitter.com/ichizoba/status/120 ... 04?lang=en
Agu Nwanyi
@ichizoba
·
Nov 30, 2019
That era of when Colbie Caillat, Sara Bareilles, Natasha Bedingfield, Ingrid Michaelson, Regina Spektor, Vanessa Carlton and Michelle Branch dropped hits ... We ain’t never getting it back. Including old Coldplay, The Fray, and Maroon 5.
Quote Tweet
austin
@austinmj98
· Nov 30, 2019
White music really fell off
And while searching for its source I saw this quote in an article on Michelle Branch:
Michelle and her compatriots gradually ceded their claim on teen Myspace playlists to Regina Spektor and the rest of the Starbucks set that followed after: Ingrid Michaelson, Sara Bareilles, Colbie Caillat and the like.
Great name. The Starbucks Set.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Why is the word "recognize" spelt the American way in the music video for "Undisclosed Desires" even though Muse are a British band?
♂♥♂♀

Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Titus Flavius wrote: 25 May 2021 10:42 Oxford spelling?
Huh. I had read before that some British folks insisted upon using -ize in words with Greek roots (apologize, sympathize, criticize, etc.) but -ise in words with Latin roots (realise, recognise, incentivise, etc.), but I never knew that some British publishers went -ize all the way. Fascinating.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

So today I was checking out the music of Chumbawamba, beyond "Tubthumping" (which is the one Chumbawamba song that Americans all know). I came across this title, and I had to share it with the people on this board.

R.I.P. RP
♂♥♂♀