The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Khemehekis »

Man in Space wrote: 29 Jul 2021 03:34 I’m a bit hesitant to post this lest I give off the wrong impression, but I am happy about it and I want to share: I have been accepted into Mensa.
Congratulations! (And no, I don't consider you arrogant or anything for mentioning it.)
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Man in Space wrote: 03 Aug 2021 06:12 I know news of attaining status there meets a negative reception sometimes. I…kind of feel embarrassed sharing it, like it negatively reflects on me that I’m like “Ooh, I’m in Mensa! Nyah-nyah” and that’s not how I want to come across at all.

Kind of a Catch-22.
Possibly cases of badly done sit-com stereotyping.

I shouldn't be embarrassed if I were you! A quick read about the founders reveals that even the most gifted (iqwise) are no more than frail, fallible men. And anyway, you didn't decide or pretend to be intelligent in this way --- if other people think poorly of you for actually being the way you are, well, that's their problem!

In any event, I at least didn't read you as coming across all nyah-nyah. I may not always respond, but I am always proud of those folks here who attain a PhD or publish a paper or a book. I suspect that people who engage in language invention specifically are probably already smarter than average; thus making the announcement to a concentrated group of already intellectually & mindgame inclined people will likely yield a higher positive response than you might get elsewhere.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I for one think it's awesome [:D] I'm always impressed by intelligence and enjoy hearing about academic and intellectual accomplishments. It has to be more socially acceptable to talk about good things in our lives. It can't just be commiseration all the time.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

The main thing the Mensa around where I live does is spaghetti dinners.
You don’t have to be a member to attend.
Aside from enjoyable spaghetti, the draw is that you can bring up topics for conversation that you ordinarily couldn’t in a group that didn’t include a lot of … whatever we are.
There’s often also a program; a speaker or a game or something. But half the time it’s just spaghetti and conversation.
….
I’ve been to the events; but I’ve never tried to join the organization.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 05 Aug 2021 18:50 I for one think it's awesome [:D] I'm always impressed by intelligence and enjoy hearing about academic and intellectual accomplishments. It has to be more socially acceptable to talk about good things in our lives. It can't just be commiseration all the time.
Indeed!

It strikes me that people (in general) seem to have no problem with other, often equally fantastic, accomplishments like marriages, new babies, new cats, new jobs, graduations, sports championships and so forth. So why not similarly celebrate an intellectual accomplishment!

eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Aug 2021 20:17 The main thing the Mensa around where I live does is spaghetti dinners.
You don’t have to be a member to attend.
Aside from enjoyable spaghetti, the draw is that you can bring up topics for conversation that you ordinarily couldn’t in a group that didn’t include a lot of … whatever we are.
There’s often also a program; a speaker or a game or something. But half the time it’s just spaghetti and conversation.
….
I’ve been to the events; but I’ve never tried to join the organization.
Sounds delectable! I could be tempted out of my cave with (good) spaghetti. I don't converse well, but could certainly enjoy the speaker's topic! One of the great things about professional organisations (and presumably social ones like this) is the good food plus interesting topic combination. Nothing like the good old days of mingling cardiac procedures and linguine. But I wax nostalgic.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I have just surpassed Ossicone to become the fifteenth-spammiest poster here.
♂♥♂♀

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

How the hell did I come in as high as 2nd place?
I don’t feel like I post that much!
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

how am I tenth, I’ve basically been mostly dead for the last handful’la years
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

qwed117 wrote: 13 Aug 2021 00:54 how am I tenth, I’ve basically been mostly dead for the last handful’la years
Same, and I’m seventh. [:S]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

If I counted correctly, I'm 38th with 1588 posts.
I've been concentrating on other things, but I'm having the occasional peek over here.
Though I'm a daily visitor to the unofficial CBB Discord server.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Khemehekis wrote: 11 Jul 2021 02:17
Lambuzhao wrote: 02 Jul 2021 20:53
Khemehekis wrote: 30 Jun 2021 15:24
Lambuzhao wrote: 29 Jun 2021 00:09 I would say I was away down South, or even in E-Space/The Gamma Quadrant, but it was more like I was trapped in some kind of combo of an Input/Output Guardian's plinth + the creepy cyberpunk container from The Matrix.
An Input/Output Guardian? Is that something from Doctor Who? Sure sounds like it.
From TRON. Both Dumont and the (previous incarnation of the) MCP were both I/O Guardians.
Ah, TRON. That's Chris Gikas' favorite movie. (Chris Gikas, for those who don't remember, is my friend who passed away in 2017.)
Heia, pues. May Chris Gikas rest serenely with the I/O Guardians, where'ere they may fare.
Khemehekis wrote: 30 Jun 2021 15:24
Lambuzhao wrote: 29 Jun 2021 00:09 Glad to be free. I may not be here as often as I'd like. But I am glad to be free of that Year that Would Not End.
It was harder for extroverts like me than for introverts, that's for sure. But at least I didn't have to get up early every day to sit in a cramped van and listen to other people's radio stations.
How true! My son is more of an introvert, and he loved not having to trapse back and forth to University: all online courses for him! He got a 4.0 GPA (out of 4), so I cannot complain.
Good for him! (He isn't one of those introverts who has zero friends, is he?) [/quote]

He has choice friends, some from as far back as gradeschool, and others recently-met fellow trench-skirmishers in that Goodly Fight which is Drawing/Graphic Design/Art/Imagination.
Extrovert or not, there was a lot of whip-cracking for us teachers of secondary-schools to make sure everything was up to date and connected online and google-meet open, and accepting of late assignments, while the we were lucky to get participation from any of them, no matter how\what we tried. Never had I felt so much like I was floating in a tin-can, far above and away from it all, and yet necessarily dragged into low-tidal lock each day: GoogleMeets were blue, and there's nothing I could do.

I look forward to more ᴀᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ interactive days. But not before a sorely-needed vacation.
I applaud all of you for your acceptance of late assignments! [+1]

Blue, as in the color of the ocean?
Blue… I suppose so. Major Tom sees the Earth as 'blue', and like him, there was nothing more I could do.

But, truth be told, I had a very restful vacation. [:)]
Almost ready to return to the Lords of the Lash.

Haha, BTW, saw the Soviet-era Fellowship of the Ring (Khranytely) and the Xobbyt.
[O.O]
[O.o]
[o.O]
Big fan of those Orcish czardaszes! :mrgreen:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

All4Ɇn wrote: 14 Jul 2021 15:40
Lambuzhao wrote: 02 Jul 2021 20:28 Beðakk so mikeld!![/b]
:mrgreen:
You remembered! [:D]
:mrgreen:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Aug 2021 09:50
Man in Space wrote: 29 Jul 2021 03:34 I’m a bit hesitant to post this lest I give off the wrong impression, but I am happy about it and I want to share: I have been accepted into Mensa.
Congratulations! (And no, I don't consider you arrogant or anything for mentioning it.)
Oh yes! ¡Felicidades al Hombre en el Espacio!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Lambuzhao wrote: 22 Aug 2021 03:57
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Jul 2021 02:17 Ah, TRON. That's Chris Gikas' favorite movie. (Chris Gikas, for those who don't remember, is my friend who passed away in 2017.)
Heia, pues. May Chris Gikas rest serenely with the I/O Guardians, where'ere they may fare.
[<3] Izar, zha Lambuzhao.
Good for him! (He isn't one of those introverts who has zero friends, is he?)
He has choice friends, some from as far back as gradeschool, and others recently-met fellow trench-skirmishers in that Goodly Fight which is Drawing/Graphic Design/Art/Imagination.
Oh, that's cool! I have a lot of friends from my high school days in Moraga, a few from the JC whom I haven't seen since I discontinued college, and a lot more from western Contra Costa, including Oneika, who just had her birthday, and Jolene and Aaron, who have their birthdays in a few days. Then there are my online friends (including the late John Hensle and Chris Gikas).
Extrovert or not, there was a lot of whip-cracking for us teachers of secondary-schools to make sure everything was up to date and connected online and google-meet open, and accepting of late assignments, while the we were lucky to get participation from any of them, no matter how\what we tried. Never had I felt so much like I was floating in a tin-can, far above and away from it all, and yet necessarily dragged into low-tidal lock each day: GoogleMeets were blue, and there's nothing I could do.

I look forward to more ᴀᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ interactive days. But not before a sorely-needed vacation.
I applaud all of you for your acceptance of late assignments! [+1]

Blue, as in the color of the ocean?
Blue… I suppose so. Major Tom sees the Earth as 'blue', and like him, there was nothing more I could do.
I see. Floating weightless.
Almost ready to return to the Lords of the Lash.
The Lash? As in, corporal punishment in schools? Is that legal in the jurisdiction where you teach?
Haha, BTW, saw the Soviet-era Fellowship of the Ring (Khranytely) and the Xobbyt.
Hobbit becomes Xobbyt? Not Gobbyt, like handball becoming gandbol? I suppose /x/ is closer to /h/ anyway, being a fricative and all.
♂♥♂♀

Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Have I ever shared my coat of arms here?
Spoiler:
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

If you haven't heard it on my conlang thread already, Khemehekis and I did a singing collab, where we both sang in our own conlangs.
Check it out: [CBB collab]

Only 11 views after 1 week...don't make Khemehekis sad pls
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Reyzadren wrote: 12 Sep 2021 23:56 If you haven't heard it on my conlang thread already, Khemehekis and I did a singing collab, where we both sang in our own conlangs.

Excellent choice in song to cover [xD]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

All4Ɇn wrote: 13 Sep 2021 01:41
Reyzadren wrote: 12 Sep 2021 23:56 If you haven't heard it on my conlang thread already, Khemehekis and I did a singing collab, where we both sang in our own conlangs.

Excellent choice in song to cover [xD]
Better the Backstreet Boys than *NSYNC. When I was a teen in the late nineties, I called *NSYNC "*NSUCK".

Woo! 3,000 posts!
♂♥♂♀

Tsugar
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Tsugar »

I personally wish I was allowed by mom to have a dorm with roommates or an apartment [1] and wasn't required to go home every weekend and spend every Friday evening at the local Bible study group[2].

[1] She went over the online portal-based housing/meal selection process every semester pre-COVID
[2] Affiliated to the church I go to on Sundays - not that I'm religious anymore
Tsugar
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Tsugar »

I seriously want to keep up the motivation to 'succeed'[1] in adulthood even though I have been enough of a shitheel in the past 8 years or so

[1] Get and keep an engineering job, and be able to live independently