A forum for game threads.
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Re: Guess the Word in Romlangs 2

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

shimobaatar wrote: 07 Oct 2021 04:08
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 07 Oct 2021 04:03
qwed117 wrote: 07 Oct 2021 03:51 Does <remuêla-> mean “to fry” and does the whole word mean something like “food court”?
[cross] remuêl- is still related to water
"to boil"?
[cross]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 07 Oct 2021 04:33
qwed117 wrote: 07 Oct 2021 03:51 Does <remuêla-> mean “to fry” and does the whole word mean something like “food court”?
"to boil"?
[cross]
This is truly just a wild guess, but I figure I might as well ask. Based on "remuêl- is still related to water" and "there would definitely be a number of buildings/structures in a centrala remuêlaçônel", does centrala remuêlaçônel mean something like "water park" or "aquarium"?
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

shimobaatar wrote: 09 Oct 2021 16:38
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 07 Oct 2021 04:33
"to boil"?
[cross]
This is truly just a wild guess, but I figure I might as well ask. Based on "remuêl- is still related to water" and "there would definitely be a number of buildings/structures in a centrala remuêlaçônel", does centrala remuêlaçônel mean something like "water park" or "aquarium"?
[cross]

I'm not sure how to give a clue that's helpful but doesn't give everything away. remuêl used to be broadly translatable as "re-moisten", but over time the meaning narrowed to a more specific aspect of "re-moistening" things. In the modern day, it's gained a scientific sense which no longer has anything to do with moistening things, but still has something to do with water. The scientific sense is the way it's used in this compound.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 12 Oct 2021 12:00 I'm not sure how to give a clue that's helpful but doesn't give everything away.
No worries! It's a difficult position to be in, at times.
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 12 Oct 2021 12:00 remuêl used to be broadly translatable as "re-moisten", but over time the meaning narrowed to a more specific aspect of "re-moistening" things. In the modern day, it's gained a scientific sense which no longer has anything to do with moistening things, but still has something to do with water. The scientific sense is the way it's used in this compound.
Yeah, "re-moisten" is generally what I've had in mind for the original meaning.

So, it's been established that:
shimobaatar wrote: 06 Oct 2021 00:27
  • "The meaning of remuêl- has changed quite a lot", "initially towards a more specific culinary sense, although in the compound it’s been generalised again"
To clarify, is the "more specific culinary sense" this "more specific aspect of 're-moistening' things"? Also, since "in the compound it’s been generalised again", and "the scientific sense is the way it's used in this compound", would it be correct to assume that the scientific sense of the word isn't as specific as the culinary sense?

Admittedly, I'm having difficulty thinking of something that isn't at all related to "moistening" but is still related to "water". Also, what kind of scientific process has a complex of "a number of buildings/structures" dedicated to it? Hmm… I certainly have a lot to think about.

I'm wondering if it's possible that I simply don't know enough about science or cooking to be able to guess the word's meaning.
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

shimobaatar wrote: 12 Oct 2021 20:01 To clarify, is the "more specific culinary sense" this "more specific aspect of 're-moistening' things"? Also, since "in the compound it’s been generalised again", and "the scientific sense is the way it's used in this compound", would it be correct to assume that the scientific sense of the word isn't as specific as the culinary sense?
Yeah. To everything. Although the scientific sense isn't that general.
Admittedly, I'm having difficulty thinking of something that isn't at all related to "moistening" but is still related to "water". Also, what kind of scientific process has a complex of "a number of buildings/structures" dedicated to it? Hmm… I certainly have a lot to think about.
The process doesn't inherrently require buildings, theyre just used in a centrala remuêlaçônel so that it can do useful amounts of remuêling. You could do some remuêling at a small scale in a very small area, but for something to be an actual centrala it would need at least one structure; wikipedia says they need 25 acres of land.
I'm wondering if it's possible that I simply don't know enough about science or cooking to be able to guess the word's meaning.
The cooking term doesnt have a one-word equivalent in English, and it's more relevant for traditional food preparation, but it's not a counterintuitive concept. Bear in mind that Vissard is spoken on an island, and a large proportion of the diet was traditionally seafood.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Is it a water treatment/purification plant?
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

shimobaatar wrote: 14 Oct 2021 13:00 Is it a water treatment/purification plant?
Very close – its a specific type of water treatment plant.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 15 Oct 2021 08:21
shimobaatar wrote: 14 Oct 2021 13:00 Is it a water treatment/purification plant?
Hmm… a sewage treatment plant?
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

shimobaatar wrote: 15 Oct 2021 13:09
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 15 Oct 2021 08:21
Hmm… a sewage treatment plant?
... close enough, it's a desalination plant.

remuêl meant:
"re-moisten" → "rehydrate" → "moisten dried food" → "steep salted food to remove the salt" → "remove the salt from" → "desalinate"
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I was going to suggest that; but I thought
A) it wouldn’t be fair because I was just guessing and I should let people who’d done all the work have a chance, and
B) if I won what would I do? I don’t have a romlang nor any words to guess in one!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 15 Oct 2021 23:11 ... close enough, it's a desalination plant.

remuêl meant:
"re-moisten" → "rehydrate" → "moisten dried food" → "steep salted food to remove the salt" → "remove the salt from" → "desalinate"
Ah, sorry. I'm afraid I don't find myself thinking about desalination plants all that often, so it probably would have taken me at least a few more guesses. Excellent word/phrase, though! In hindsight, mentioning what you did about traditional food preparation was a very good hint:
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 14 Oct 2021 10:05 The cooking term doesnt have a one-word equivalent in English, and it's more relevant for traditional food preparation, but it's not a counterintuitive concept. Bear in mind that Vissard is spoken on an island, and a large proportion of the diet was traditionally seafood.

eldin raigmore wrote: 16 Oct 2021 08:02
I was going to suggest that; but I thought
A) it wouldn’t be fair because I was just guessing and I should let people who’d done all the work have a chance, and
B) if I won what would I do? I don’t have a romlang nor any words to guess in one!
I'd offer to let you take the next turn, but it sounds like you'd prefer not to, right?

I'll try to have something new for the next round ASAP!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I'd offer to let you take the next turn, but it sounds like you'd prefer not to, right?
That’s right; and also I really think shimobataar (aka you) deserves it.
But it’s Vaptuantadoi’s question.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

eldin raigmore wrote: 18 Oct 2021 19:37 But it’s Vaptuantadoi’s question.
Oh, of course! I don't mean to presume that I'll be considered the "winner" of this round without VaptuantaDoi's input. However, since you and I are the only ones (aside from VaptuantaDoi) who have posted in this thread since October 6th, and since you've indicated that you'd prefer not to take the next turn, I figure I'll likely be going next. [:)]
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

shimobaatar wrote: 18 Oct 2021 20:43
eldin raigmore wrote: 18 Oct 2021 19:37 But it’s Vaptuantadoi’s question.
Oh, of course! I don't mean to presume that I'll be considered the "winner" of this round without VaptuantaDoi's input. However, since you and I are the only ones (aside from VaptuantaDoi) who have posted in this thread since October 6th, and since you've indicated that you'd prefer not to take the next turn, I figure I'll likely be going next. [:)]
Yeah, go ahead.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Sorry for the delay! It's been a busy week.

Language: Something Iberian
Word: cuayexoñas
IPA: [kwaʑeˈʃoɲas]
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

shimobaatar wrote: 27 Oct 2021 14:33 Language: Something Iberian
Is it a plural noun?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 29 Oct 2021 07:52
shimobaatar wrote: 27 Oct 2021 14:33 Language: Something Iberian
Is it a plural noun?
It is a noun, and the final <-s> is etymologically a plural marker, but the form cuayexoñas can be either singular or plural.
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Does it correspond to a single word in Latin?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 30 Oct 2021 00:24 Does it correspond to a single word in Latin?
It does not.
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

Is it a Spanish-style "verb + plural noun" compound (e.g, sacapuntas, rascacielos, rompecabezas)?

If so, does "xoñas" mean "dreams?"
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog