Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
toxique
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by toxique »

Hello! I'm toxique, and i feel like I've just joined a secret society. [:P]
I'm more a conworlder than a conlanger, I also have a deep appreciation for the fantasy genre! I only speak english and uh...I like to bake and research obscure religions and esoteric beliefs, to get more information about my person, feel free to just ask!
[<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the board, toxique!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Welcome, toxique!
toxique
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by toxique »

thank you all! [:D]
[<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3]
greatvalleys1000000
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by greatvalleys1000000 »

Hi! I'm new to the CBB but not new to conlanging. I conworlded and invented alphabets a lot as a kid and that kind of started my interest in conlangs, and it also sparked my interest in linguistics. I've watched all the conlanging tutorials, read so many books about it, lurked on different forums for a while, but my perfectionism gets in the way and I can never actually make something without feeling like I'm messing up (I often look at other people's conlangs and think DAMN how are they able to make these) and also I just have awful motivation lmao. I really like WEIRD languages. I prefer very unnaturalistic artlangs to conlangs that closely try to replicate natural language.

Some other stuff about me... I'm a trans girl, in my first year of university studying Geographic Information Science, and I'm from Upstate New York. I'm currently learning Arabic (MSA/al-fuṣḥā) because I'm a sucker for non-configurational morphology. I also know a tiny bit of French from high school. I like coda glottal stops and implosives a lot! Outside of linguistics I like to cook and take walks. I'm excited to meet all of you and hopefully joining this forum will spark my conlanging productivity. That's all I can think of :D
idk what to put here hope everyone is doing well
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the CBB, greatvalleys1000000!
AstroWildcat
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by AstroWildcat »

Hi everyone! You can just call me Wildcat.
I am first and foremost a writer. I've been getting back into worldbuilding for my hard science fiction story, and that includes conlanging. I have NO experience with linguistics what so ever, but I hope to learn!
My main conlang project is coming up with an international auxlang for an alien species! I might come up with more conlangs for them later on, who knows. [:P]
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

AstroWildcat wrote: 31 May 2023 03:15 Hi everyone! You can just call me Wildcat.
I am first and foremost a writer. I've been getting back into worldbuilding for my hard science fiction story, and that includes conlanging. I have NO experience with linguistics what so ever, but I hope to learn!
My main conlang project is coming up with an international auxlang for an alien species! I might come up with more conlangs for them later on, who knows. [:P]
Another dedicated writer!!! [:D]

I'd love to give you an intro to conlanging if you want. If you're really hardcore worldbuilding-wise, you might try evolving the actual natural languages of the alien species, then developing an auxlang from that ─ like how Esperanto uses mostly Romance / Germanic words. You'd only have to make a few big languages, since the smaller ones won't really be represented (see any Inuktitut, or Rotokas, or Pirahã words in Esperanto? I thought not).

And I'd love to read more about your world.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages, Izre, Ngama, Areyaxi languages, ???, 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
AstroWildcat
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by AstroWildcat »

Üdj wrote: 31 May 2023 03:20
AstroWildcat wrote: 31 May 2023 03:15 Hi everyone! You can just call me Wildcat.

I'd love to give you an intro to conlanging if you want. If you're really hardcore worldbuilding-wise, you might try evolving the actual natural languages of the alien species, then developing an auxlang from that ─ like how Esperanto uses mostly Romance / Germanic words. You'd only have to make a few big languages, since the smaller ones won't really be represented (see any Inuktitut, or Rotokas, or Pirahã words in Esperanto? I thought not).

I'd really appreciate the guidance!

I just posted about the conlang I'm making for them here: viewtopic.php?t=7883
I also have some lore posted about them on a website called ToyHouse, which can be seen here: https://toyhou.se/AstroWildcat/characte ... er:3505817

As for making the actual natural langauges first, that's a really good idea. Problem is their culture and world isn't really... that well developed just yet. Just their biological makeup. So I'd have to work on that first, haha.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

AstroWildcat wrote: 31 May 2023 03:28

I also have some lore posted about them on a website called ToyHouse, which can be seen here: https://toyhou.se/AstroWildcat/characte ... er:3505817

As for making the actual natural langauges first, that's a really good idea. Problem is their culture and world isn't really... that well developed just yet. Just their biological makeup. So I'd have to work on that first, haha.
Well, you wouldn't need to work it out much if the natural languages aren't used much anymore. You just need one or two proto-languages and a few thousand years of sound change ─ have you heard of Proto-Indo-European? It's the ultimate ancestor of English, French, German, Albanian, Latin, Russian, and almost every European language: in other words, the sources of Esperanto. You'll only have to make a couple language families, probably ultimately related, and pick one or two languages to be dominant. If the auxlang is all that's used now, you don't need to do anything else with the natural languages, except maybe working out a very short description of their grammar to get a feel of the type of language you're playing at.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

my garbage

she/her
AstroWildcat
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by AstroWildcat »

Üdj wrote: 31 May 2023 04:07
AstroWildcat wrote: 31 May 2023 03:28

Well, you wouldn't need to work it out much if the natural languages aren't used much anymore. You just need one or two proto-languages and a few thousand years of sound change ─ have you heard of Proto-Indo-European? It's the ultimate ancestor of English, French, German, Albanian, Latin, Russian, and almost every European language: in other words, the sources of Esperanto. You'll only have to make a couple language families, probably ultimately related, and pick one or two languages to be dominant. If the auxlang is all that's used now, you don't need to do anything else with the natural languages, except maybe working out a very short description of their grammar to get a feel of the type of language you're playing at.
Makes sense. The auxlang is all that's used by people born and raised in planetary colonies, but the aliens who are from the home planet still speak different languages, since I imagine the auxlang was originally invented as a lingua franca for diplomats back home. Maybe the auxlang evolved overtime on these planetary colonies. Would be interesting, I think.
Either way, you've got a good point, and I should start working on that proto-language first before even thinking about making an auxlang like that.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the board!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

shimobaatar wrote: 07 Apr 2023 21:28 Welcome to the CBB, greatvalleys1000000!
@greatvalleysmillion: what Shimobaatar said!

Also:
Welcome to the CBB board, @AstroWildcat!
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

toxique wrote: 12 Mar 2023 21:01 Hello! I'm toxique, and i feel like I've just joined a secret society. [:P]
I'm more a conworlder than a conlanger, I also have a deep appreciation for the fantasy genre! I only speak english and uh...I like to bake and research obscure religions and esoteric beliefs, to get more information about my person, feel free to just ask!
Welcome to the cult board!

one of us... one of us... ONE OF US... ONE OF US... ONE OF US

my garbage

she/her
daedalusrising
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by daedalusrising »

Hi, everyone, I'm Dædalus. I've been conlanging for a couple decades already, I have come and gone on and off the hobby for most of my life and in fact this is not the first time I join this forum, but alas, I lost access to the email address I used to make my old account. You'll most likely see me sticking to altlangs set in present-day alternate histories for the world we live in.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

daedalusrising wrote: 19 Aug 2023 18:53 Hi, everyone, I'm Dædalus. I've been conlanging for a couple decades already, I have come and gone on and off the hobby for most of my life and in fact this is not the first time I join this forum, but alas, I lost access to the email address I used to make my old account. You'll most likely see me sticking to altlangs set in present-day alternate histories for the world we live in.
Welcome (back) to the CBB!
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

daedalusrising wrote: 19 Aug 2023 18:53 Hi, everyone, I'm Dædalus. I've been conlanging for a couple decades already, I have come and gone on and off the hobby for most of my life and in fact this is not the first time I join this forum, but alas, I lost access to the email address I used to make my old account. You'll most likely see me sticking to altlangs set in present-day alternate histories for the world we live in.
Hello, Dædalus! May I ask what your old account was called?

my garbage

she/her
daedalusrising
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by daedalusrising »

Üdj wrote: 19 Aug 2023 19:51 Hello, Dædalus! May I ask what your old account was called?
The username was partygod if I recall correctly lol. I was very young.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

daedalusrising wrote: 19 Aug 2023 22:50
Üdj wrote: 19 Aug 2023 19:51 Hello, Dædalus! May I ask what your old account was called?
The username was partygod if I recall correctly lol. I was very young.
So you did these posts?

I'm guessing from your use of the name Party God that you are an extrovert? There aren't many of us in the online conlanging community.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 87,413 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
daedalusrising
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by daedalusrising »

So you did these posts?

I'm guessing from your use of the name Party God that you are an extrovert? There aren't many of us in the online conlanging community.
Indeed, that was 19 year old me. I actually am kind of an extrovert although the username came more from a character from the cartoon Adventure Time.