Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
GoshDiggityDangit
greek
greek

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by GoshDiggityDangit »

I have also noticed that I haven't been getting notifications for a good while now. I don't mind too much personally, but it is a little strange.
“Like billowing clouds, Like the incessant gurgle of the brook,
The longing of the spirit can never be stilled.” ― St. Hildegard von Bingen
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I've sent Ossicone and Aevas a PM, since it looks like it might be a Board issue. Hopefully one or both of them are able to jump on and see what's up
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I've done some basic cache clearing and maybe that will help.

The board is due for an update that I will do sometime tomorrow. And hopefully, that will resolve the issue.
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

I just got a notification then, so it looks like it's been fixed.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 23 Mar 2023 00:12 I just got a notification then, so it looks like it's been fixed.
So did I! Maybe Ossicone (inter alia?) has fixed it!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

I'm also getting email notifications again for the first time in quiet a while, and it looks like I'm no longer getting error messages when I try to post. Many thanks to Ossicone for taking care of things, and to sangi39 for bringing this up in the first place! I'd assumed it was just a problem on my end, and had evidently been willing to live with it.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Ossicone wrote: 22 Mar 2023 23:07 I've done some basic cache clearing and maybe that will help.

The board is due for an update that I will do sometime tomorrow. And hopefully, that will resolve the issue.
Seems to have worked. I've been getting notifications through again [:)] Thanks very much, Ossicone
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Has Ryan Aditya become our new DarkGamma?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Khemehekis wrote: 20 May 2023 08:54 Has Ryan Aditya become our new DarkGamma?
Long story short, was warned, tempbanned, and then permabanned for their behaviour, came back as a different user about a year later, turned out they'd then spent a year behaving the same way, repeat same warning/tempban/permaban process. Came back again, but much sooner, and was reported much sooner. Escalated to warning then permaban. Now it's just permaban immediately

I don't enjoy banning users, but if someone has repeatedly shown that they'll just bring back the same behaviour to the Board after being banned more than once, I'll keep on doing it
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

sangi39 wrote: 20 May 2023 11:18
Long story short, was warned, tempbanned, and then permabanned for their behaviour, came back as a different user about a year later, turned out they'd then spent a year behaving the same way, repeat same warning/tempban/permaban process. Came back again, but much sooner, and was reported much sooner. Escalated to warning then permaban. Now it's just permaban immediately

I don't enjoy banning users, but if someone has repeatedly shown that they'll just bring back the same behaviour to the Board after being banned more than once, I'll keep on doing it
[+1]

Sometimes (as was the case with DarkGamma) the problem isn't with the board; it's with the user.
♂♥♂♀

sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Khemehekis wrote: 20 May 2023 11:28
sangi39 wrote: 20 May 2023 11:18

[+1]

Sometimes (as was the case with DarkGamma) the problem isn't with the board; it's with the user.
Said it before, and Ill say it again, this Board is excellent as far as behaviour and attitude goes. Feels like we get maybe a dozen reports a year, tops, unless someone really starts playing up. Most discussions are really nice, and even when things do start to get heated, they're still good discussions, and most of the time people seem to be okay walking away from potential flaming (or will take on advice to maybe just cool down a bit). One of my favourite placed online, definitely
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

sangi39 wrote: 20 May 2023 12:22 Said it before, and Ill say it again, this Board is excellent as far as behaviour and attitude goes. Feels like we get maybe a dozen reports a year, tops, unless someone really starts playing up. Most discussions are really nice, and even when things do start to get heated, they're still good discussions, and most of the time people seem to be okay walking away from potential flaming (or will take on advice to maybe just cool down a bit). One of my favourite placed online, definitely
Yes, because we're so easygoing here. It's not the kind of place filled with edgy flame warriors.

You know, just a few hours ago I was reading a thread on women in IT over at the Ephemera section of the ZBB. It discussed misogynistic, rude men and a comment made by Linus Torvalds about how people in IT don't "play social games", etc., but are still rude. I was just reminded of that thread. There are so many places on the Internet that do fit the "edgy flame warrior who thinks he's smarter than you" stereotype . . . I don't know what diachronic factor exactly kept the CBB from being another one of those places.
♂♥♂♀

sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Khemehekis wrote: 20 May 2023 12:34
sangi39 wrote: 20 May 2023 12:22 Said it before, and Ill say it again, this Board is excellent as far as behaviour and attitude goes. Feels like we get maybe a dozen reports a year, tops, unless someone really starts playing up. Most discussions are really nice, and even when things do start to get heated, they're still good discussions, and most of the time people seem to be okay walking away from potential flaming (or will take on advice to maybe just cool down a bit). One of my favourite placed online, definitely
Yes, because we're so easygoing here. It's not the kind of place filled with edgy flame warriors.

You know, just a few hours ago I was reading a thread on women in IT over at the Ephemera section of the ZBB. It discussed misogynistic, rude men and a comment made by Linus Torvalds about how people in IT don't "play social games", etc., but are still rude. I was just reminded of that thread. There are so many places on the Internet that do fit the "edgy flame warrior who thinks he's smarter than you" stereotype . . . I don't know what diachronic factor exactly kept the CBB from being another one of those places.
I'm not 100% either, but glad it went that way [:)]
Just one time.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Oligey is finally banned!
Happy new year everyone!
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages, Izre, Ngama, Areyaxi languages, ???, 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Arayaz wrote: 01 Jan 2024 23:27 Oligey is finally banned!
Happy new year everyone!
I'll just repeat what I said above:
It's always a shame when someone comes in, and, for whatever reason, just disrupts that general feeling, but it happens, and we deal with it as best we can as quickly as we can, and, hopefully, in an appropriate way. As far as I can tell, this is the first time since April 2022 that we've banned a user for behaviour alone, which is a pretty good run. I think the last big "disruption event" before that was Bob in 2020 (and strictly speaking, that resulted in a temporary ban, they just never logged back in). Sure, we've had reports to deal with, but it's generally never gotten as today has in over a year, off the top of my head

Either way, thank you for everyone who a) tried to reply reasonably*, and b) reported posts and threads so that we could pick up on what was going on**

* There were a couple of hiccups, but it's understandable when things get frustrating. Just remember that it's always okay to take a step back
** As we've said before, we can't be everywhere, or online all the time, so reporting really helps us out
Just one time.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

sangi39 wrote: 02 Jan 2024 01:39 Either way, thank you for everyone who a) tried to reply reasonably*
I don't think I always replied very reasonably... I'm sorry for that, but I hoped I could turn it into a reasonable discussion (in the first thread, at least, at the beginning). But... I don't think I was much more civil than Oligey was.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages, Izre, Ngama, Areyaxi languages, ???, 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Arayaz wrote: 02 Jan 2024 02:42
sangi39 wrote: 02 Jan 2024 01:39 Either way, thank you for everyone who a) tried to reply reasonably*
I don't think I always replied very reasonably... I'm sorry for that, but I hoped I could turn it into a reasonable discussion (in the first thread, at least, at the beginning). But... I don't think I was much more civil than Oligey was.
I'd hoped for the same thing (like with Bob, and Tienzen Gong on the old CBB), that it could have turned into something more reasonable, but doesn't always happen
Just one time.
Visions1
sinic
sinic

Post by Visions1 »

I also have regrets how I spoke. In fact, at one point I actually wanted to message Oligey and apologize about how I spoke to him. However, I then saw the new posts he made in the meantime, and those feeling disappeared.
Despite what he did, I still should've taken the higher path. Being kind is better than being funny.
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

There is a bug in XIPA — when converting from X-SAMPA to IPA, J\_ always yields ʄ, regardless of what is appended after. It's not that big of an issue as you can still select the proper symbols manually, and I don't know if XIPA is still being maintained, but it would be great if it was fixed. (apologies if this is not the right place to post this)
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor