My reverse enge-lang: V:1g3n1n:1

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: My reverse enge-lang: V:1g3n1n:1

Post by Creyeditor »

Since I have a few minutues at hand, I thought I might just revisit this old thread of mine and write something on Pansi's syntax (without actual examples). If all morphological features in Pansi are expressed by word order in some natlang, word order in Pansi expresses features that usually occur as morphological features in natlang, e.g. number marking for nouns and tense marking for verbs. Let's start with number. Pre-verbal nouns are singular, post-verbal nouns are plural. This means that the following word order are generated.

SV = subject is singular
VS = subject is plural
SOV/OSV = both arguments are singular
SVO = only object is plural
OVS = only subject is plural
VSO/VOS = both arguments are plural

But wait, the verb also moves. How can we still use the position of the verb to mark tense? My basic idea here is to double the verb and include an auxiliary whose position expresses tense if the verbal position is fixed by the number values of the nouns. The general pattern is that verb/aux-initial sentences are past tense, verb/aux-medial sentences are present and verb/aux-final are future tense (This might require a dummy argument for intransitive sentences but who cares). This gives us many more possibilities for example the following;

SOV/OSV = both arguments are singular, future tense
AuxSOV/AuxOSV = both arguments are singular, past tense
SAuxOV/OAuxSV = both arguments are singular, present tense
SVO = only object is plural, present tense
AuxSVO = only object is plural, past tense
SVOAux = only object is plural, future tense

Now, we still have some free word order, as the order between subject and object is not fixed at all. We could leave it like this, but since this is an engelang, we might as well use it. The final idea here would be to add aspect into the mix. If the order of S and O is not fixed by number or tense, and S precedes O, this expresses imperfective. If O precedes S this expresses perfectivity. This means that from simple basic word orders we get the following information:

SOV = both arguments are singular, future tense, imperfective aspect
OSV = both arguments are singular, future tense, perfective aspect
VSO = both arguments are plural, past tense, imperfective aspect
VOS = both arguments are plural, past tense, perfective aspect

I hope you like this post even though there are no actual examples in it.

Things that I might add in the future:
-actual paradigms for verbs and adjectives/adverbs
-actual sentence examples for this post
-particles that express stuff that is usually utterance-level intonation, e.g. uncertainity, anger, seduction, irony
-utterance level intonation that expresses stuff that is usually expressed by additional words, e.g. definiteness, demonstratives, causatives, volitionality.
Last edited by Creyeditor on 06 Jun 2023 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Arayaz
roman
roman

Re: My reverse enge-lang: V:1g3n1n:1

Post by Arayaz »

Creyeditor wrote: 04 Jun 2023 15:36 Since I have a few minutues at hand, I thought I might just revisit this old thread of mine and write something on Pansi's syntax (without actual examples). If all morphological features in Pansi are expressed by word order in some natlang, word order in Pansi expresses features that usually occur as morphological features in natlang, e.g. number marking for nouns and tense marking for verbs. Let's start with number. Pre-verbal nouns are singular, post-verbal nouns are plural. This means that the following word order are generated.

SV = subject is singular
VS = subject is plural
SOV/OSV = both arguments are singular
SVO = only object is plural
OVS = only subject is plural
VSO/VOS = only object is plural

But wait, the verb also moves. How can we still use the position of the verb to mark tense? My basic idea here is to double the verb and include an auxiliary whose position expresses tense if the verbal position is fixed by the number values of the nouns. The general pattern is that verb/aux-initial sentences are past tense, verb/aux-medial sentences are present and verb/aux-final are future tense (This might require a dummy argument for intransitive sentences but who cares). This gives us many more possibilities for example the following;

SOV/OSV = both arguments are singular, future tense
AuxSOV/AuxOSV = both arguments are singular, past tense
SAuxOV/OAuxSV = both arguments are singular, present tense
SVO = only object is plural, present tense
AuxSVO = only object is plural, past tense
SVOAux = only object is plural, future tense

Now, we still have some free word order, as the order between subject and object is not fixed at all. We could leave it like this, but since this is an engelang, we might as well use it. The final idea here would be to add aspect into the mix. If the order of S and O is not fixed by number or tense, and S precedes O, this expresses imperfective. If O precedes S this expresses perfectivity. This means that from simple basic word orders we get the following information:

SOV = both arguments are singular, future tense, imperfective aspect
OSV = both arguments are singular, future tense, perfective aspect
VSO = both arguments are plural, past tense, imperfective aspect
VOS = both arguments are plural, past tense, perfective aspect

I hope you like this post even though there are no actual examples in it.

Things that I might add in the future:
-actual paradigms for verbs and adjectives/adverbs
-actual sentence examples for this post
-particles that express stuff that is usually utterance-level intonation, e.g. uncertainity, anger, seduction, irony
-utterance level intonation that expresses stuff that is usually expressed by additional words, e.g. definiteness, demonstratives, causatives, volitionality.
This is beautifully weird. :)
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages, Izre, Ngama, Areyaxi languages, ???, 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her