What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes »

shimobaatar wrote: 12 Jul 2023 23:09 I'd hesitate to call this an "accomplishment", but according to my user profile, I apparently created this account and joined the CBB at 5:09pm (UTC−04:00) on July 12th, 2013 - exactly 10 years ago. [:D]

Also, it looks like this is my 10000th post.
Congratulations!

I believe we joined around the same time so I guess I’ve been around for about 10 years too! :mrgreen:
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

DesEsseintes wrote: 15 Jul 2023 09:07
shimobaatar wrote: 12 Jul 2023 23:09 I'd hesitate to call this an "accomplishment", but according to my user profile, I apparently created this account and joined the CBB at 5:09pm (UTC−04:00) on July 12th, 2013 - exactly 10 years ago. [:D]

Also, it looks like this is my 10000th post.
Congratulations!

I believe we joined around the same time so I guess I’ve been around for about 10 years too! :mrgreen:
Hooray! Happy "10 years of board membership", haha! [:D]
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Well, well, well. Today I completed the compilation of the CBB Multilingual Life-form Picture Dictionary in both the English and Kankonian editions -- index, credits, and all! I also converted both English and Kankonian into PDF files.

Where can these PDF files be put up and hosted on the Net? Man in Space, do you know someone who has space?

Oh, and I almost forgot, if you want to translate your own, I can email you the .WPD file as an attachment. Just PM me your email address, or email me at savegraduation at yahoo daught com.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Khemehekis wrote: 18 Jul 2023 05:07 Well, well, well. Today I completed the compilation of the CBB Multilingual Life-form Picture Dictionary in both the English and Kankonian editions -- index, credits, and all! I also converted both English and Kankonian into PDF files.

Where can these PDF files be put up and hosted on the Net?
At the risk of asking the obvious (and my missing the obvious), why not Conlang.org ?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Keenir wrote: 18 Jul 2023 05:14
Khemehekis wrote: 18 Jul 2023 05:07 Well, well, well. Today I completed the compilation of the CBB Multilingual Life-form Picture Dictionary in both the English and Kankonian editions -- index, credits, and all! I also converted both English and Kankonian into PDF files.

At the risk of asking the obvious (and my missing the obvious), why not Conlang.org ?
Hmmmm . . . I thought Man in Space would suggest the Language Creation Society. Anyone want to pitch it to them?
♂♥♂♀

kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Kiwikami wrote: Ṣaâsuxàa ruḳùr udlùrısùz hasúatàs.
[t̻͡s̪ʕ̞æ's̪o.χɑh ɾɔ'ŋoɾ ɔ'ʈɭo.ɾɛˌs̪oʂ çɐ.zuʕ̞'t̪ɑs̪]
I have just finished my first year of graduate school.

...It feels like only yesterday that...
Kiwikami wrote: Me? What did I accomplish today? What did I accomplish? I graduated from freaking high school, that's what I accomplished!!
Atǐsı aḷúx.
[ɐ't̪e.zi ɐ't͡ɬuχ]
Ah, how time flies.
Defended my dissertation this morning. ...Goodness, I've been here for ten years.

You know, I probably wouldn't have gotten to this point without y'all. Conlanging is what sparked my initial interest in linguistics. So, thank you.

Also, goodness, Alál used to have a retroflex consonant series? I'd entirely forgotten. That <d> threw me for a loop!
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

kiwikami wrote: 18 Jul 2023 09:14Defended my dissertation this morning. ...Goodness, I've been here for ten years.
Congratulations on the defending and (belatedly) on the graduations.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

kiwikami wrote: 18 Jul 2023 09:14 ….
Defended my dissertation this morning. ...Goodness, I've been here for ten years.

You know, I probably wouldn't have gotten to this point without y'all. Conlanging is what sparked my initial interest in linguistics. So, thank you.
….

I wish I had (or could) finish mine!
Congratulations!
Who was on your committee?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Congratulations on staying with linguistics, Kiwikami! And the dissertation as well!

But . . .
eldin raigmore wrote: 18 Jul 2023 19:10 I wish I had (or could) finish mine!
Congratulations!
Who was on your committee?
You never finished your dissertation?
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Khemehekis wrote: 18 Jul 2023 05:17

Hmmmm . . . I thought Man in Space would suggest the Language Creation Society. Anyone want to pitch it to them?
I'm probably more extroverted than 90% of the people here, so I decided why not? I pitched it to them over their "email us" page. Let's see what they have to say . . .
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Khemehekis wrote: 18 Jul 2023 23:25
Khemehekis wrote: 18 Jul 2023 05:17

I'm probably more extroverted than 90% of the people here, so I decided why not? I pitched it to them over their "email us" page. Let's see what they have to say . . .
Let there be luck!
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Üdj wrote: 18 Jul 2023 23:29 Let there be luck!
Yes, let there.

You reached word #100? Post in this thread!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

It's been three days, and no word from the LCS.

In the meantime, I've put these dictionaries up at my own Lehola website. Have a look!

https://khemehekis.angelfire.com/CBBPic ... nglish.pdf

https://khemehekis.angelfire.com/CBBPic ... konian.pdf
♂♥♂♀

chris_notts
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by chris_notts »

I thought it might be amusing to create a cover page for a conlang grammar that looks a bit like it was published as part of a series by a linguistics institute / publisher. The format of this draft is based on some old SIL grammars I have, but with the series name, publisher name, logo etc. all changed.

The logo is a Twitter joke / reference generated using Midjourney, with some editing in Inkscape and Gimp afterwards.

Hopefully none of these things are real, otherwise I'll have to change it again... I don't think there's a constructed language institute, is there?

EDIT: actually the format wasn't SIL, it was from this series:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Linguistics
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

kiwikami wrote: 18 Jul 2023 09:14
Kiwikami wrote: Ṣaâsuxàa ruḳùr udlùrısùz hasúatàs.
[t̻͡s̪ʕ̞æ's̪o.χɑh ɾɔ'ŋoɾ ɔ'ʈɭo.ɾɛˌs̪oʂ çɐ.zuʕ̞'t̪ɑs̪]
I have just finished my first year of graduate school.

...It feels like only yesterday that...
Kiwikami wrote: Me? What did I accomplish today? What did I accomplish? I graduated from freaking high school, that's what I accomplished!!
Atǐsı aḷúx.
[ɐ't̪e.zi ɐ't͡ɬuχ]
Ah, how time flies.

Also, goodness, Alál used to have a retroflex consonant series? I'd entirely forgotten. That <d> threw me for a loop!
Neck-deep in Coptic, so here goes:

ImageSahidic Coptic
Ϯϯ ⲛⲉ ⲛ̄ϩⲁϩ ⲙ̄ⲙⲛⲧⲛⲁⲓⲁⲧ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲛ̄ϩⲉⲛϭⲁⲁϭⲉ ⲁⲧϩ̄ⲡⲟⲧ!
Spoiler:
[di.di nε: ᵊn.hɑh ᵊm.mənt.nɑ.jat ɑ.wo ᵊn.hen.tçɑ.ˀɑ.tçe a.tᵊh.bɔt]
give(INF).1SG DAT.(2SG.F) OBJV.myriad POSSV.felicitation CNJ POSSV.COLL.ma'ahmoul PRIV.fathom
I give you many Congratulations and ma'amoul Cakes without fathom!

ⲙⲛⲧⲛⲁⲓⲁⲧ (in Arabic)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEnUT2HUJwM
There is a different song for Congratulations in Coptic, but the only version I can find on the 'Net has been hijacked for marriage purposes.

ϩⲉⲛϭⲁⲁϭⲉ -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWlEw9m3RsU

:mrgreen:
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

kiwikami wrote: 18 Jul 2023 09:14Defended my dissertation this morning. ...Goodness, I've been here for ten years.
Congratulations!
kiwikami wrote: 18 Jul 2023 09:14 You know, I probably wouldn't have gotten to this point without y'all. Conlanging is what sparked my initial interest in linguistics. So, thank you.
[:D]
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I tried not to be distracted from work by conlanging, so I created a conworld verion of chess instead.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Creyeditor wrote: 27 Jul 2023 00:20 I tried not to be distracted from work by conlanging, so I created a conworld verion of chess instead.
I wanna see!
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

It basically boils down to being a fairy chess variant and is also influenced by Shogi. The basic rules are identical to chess unless noted. There is no castling nor en passant capture nor an initial double steps for 'pawns'. The goal is to checkmate the opponents royal squirrel.

Movesets
  • 'Men' start on the position of pawns and move like kings, i.e. one square in any direction.
  • 'Grasshoppers' can only move like a rook if there is some piece between them and the square that they move to. They can only capture on the field they move to. They start on the start position of rooks.
  • 'Cows' can leap over pieces and can move hippogonal up to 5 squares, except for a standard chess knight move. They start on the start position of knights.
  • 'Falcons' can move diagonally forward like a bishop or sideways or backward like a rook. They can neither move to any square at a distance of 1 nor leap across any intervening pieces. They start on the start position of bishops.
  • 'Dinosaurs' can move like a queen but only if it captures. Otherwise it cannot move. They start on the position of the queen.
  • 'Royal squirrels' can move to any squares at a distance of two but cannot leap across intervening pieces. It takes the role of the king in that it can be checkmated. It also starts on the position of the king.
I should probably provide pictures of the movestes.

Promotion
All pieces promote if they reach the final rank.
  • Men only get an initial double backwards move if they promote.
  • Grasshoppers gain the abilits to capture a hurdle in addition to the piece on the square that they move to.
  • Cows gain the ability to make several leaper identical but obtuse moves in a snake-like pattern. They can only capture on the final move in a turn. A promoted cow is therefore called a snake.
  • Falcons gain the ability to move twice a turn. They can only capture on their initial move in a turn. A promoted falcon is called a lion.
  • Dinosaurs gain the ability to move without capturing if there is a piece between them and the square that they move to.
  • Squirrels gain the ability to copy the last move used by any enemy piece in the last turn.
Design
The board is basically a 8x8 version of a Go board. Gamepieces are checkers pieces in two colors with symbols drawn on top. They are placed at the intersections on the board.

Variations
Regional variants exist that are played on different board shapes (a cross-shaped board is common), with different pieces/movesets and/or with different promotions. Rarely, the number of pieces is changed, such that one player has more but weaker pieces whereas the other has less but stronger pieces.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

That sounds very interesting!