What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Arayaz
roman
roman

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Arayaz »

kiwikami wrote: 23 Aug 2023 11:53
Ahhhhhmazing! Congrats on finishing your dissertation! I know you were very busy procrastinating on it.

You know, Alál is amazing. I love it, even though I won't pretend to understand it, or be able to pronounce it.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

kiwikami wrote: 23 Aug 2023 11:53 Thanks, y'all!
You're welcome.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

This week, I've been working hard looking for missing R-words in my English-Kankonian dictionary. Ended up getting more than 420 new words! (Hmmm . . . time to celebrate with a doobie?) A sampling:

nenetzes-tzopyu or nenetz-tzopyu: rabbit, rabbit rabbit (said at beginning of new month) (nenetz, lip + -es, plural ending + tzopyu, carp)
vezidias-gmozkwank: rabbit ears, bunny ears (lit. "gmozkwank antennae" -- a gmozkwank is a stereotypically drawn alien in Kankonia, with antennae, a faucet for a mouth, and a counterintuitive body color)
efiltairak hel kodumu: raccoon butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula) (lit. "butterflyfish with mask")
yaramoshigaphi: race-baiting (yaramoshi, race + gaphi, to set up (make someone a target))
pog*atio: radiolarian
zlupt: radio edit (onomatopoeia)
satzend: to ragequit (satend, to quit, with the phonaestheme -tz- for heat or anger added)
frizhantshui: rainbow coalition (frizhan, color + tshui, blend)
rakouyaki: rakuware (borrowing from Japanese)
betzed: betzed (kiln-heated Schazan pottery used for tea ceremonies) (borrowing from a language of Schaza, where tea has been cultivated)
egwo: rando (egweki, unrelated, shortened with -o at end)
os-hefag: randonnée, brevet (os, not + hefag, to exhaust, to run out of energy)
kazawak mu fikseim: globe crab, globose sand crab (Randallia ornata) (lit "crab in the shape of a bun")
argasdetilshar: range (large stove) (argas, many, much + detilsh, hotplate + -ar, suffix to indicate a way)
sildizaidz: rapporteur
so-as-pleinte: randomized response technique (so, yes + as, is/am/are + pleinte, either)
lelerit: ray gun, energy weapon (based on leler, ray; the suffix -it is found on vobit, gun)
pianumtziung: benefit-cost ratio, BCR (borrowed from Palang pianùmtsiùng, from pian, benefit + ùm, to cost + tsiùng, ratio)

Dozens of re- words translated with loi-/loy- . . . example: loyadksedun: to retattoo

shedau: reality (alternate ~) (borrowed from Shaleyan shedaw, reality)
hesforoip: rebirthing (hes, out (of) + foroip, cocoon)
hutuzdemenes (pl.): reception (reaction of the audience to a movie, TV show, song, etc.) (hutuz, audience + demen, thought + -es)
adligriv: reclination (of a cataract); verticalization; to verticalize (ad-, prefix for for/to + ligriv, vertical)
adbetem: horizontalization; to horizontalize (ad- + betem, horizontal)
zarukokkopanshi: recurring nightmare (zarukok, horror + kopanshi, recurring dream)
amattapi hel oimones mitziz: red-eyed coqui (lit. "coqui with cinnamon eyes")
burnutise*: red grass, kangaroo grass (Themeda triandra)
sakut hel starak gudum: redbill, variable oystercatcher (Haematopus unicolor) (lit. "oystercatcher with red beak")
rimitreth: range extender, range-extended electric vehicle, EREV, REEV (rimi, long + treth, to drive)
khwiftas: rhyne, reen, watercourse
shifangsawai: ethno-religious group (shifang, ethnic + sawai, religion)
desim: relish (pleasant taste)
hukhtzius: remarque
heloyezmuihalan: renarrative, inferential (mood) (heloyez-mui-hales X, to take X at one's word, from hel-, with + oyez-mui-hales, say-so (lit. "say-and-all/everything") + -an, suffix for grammatical forms)
poinkt: to pin (~ a bandage)
loipoinkt: to repin (a bandage) (loi- + poinkt)
stapnovos: to pilot (run a preliminary test (stap, archaic word for first + novos, to try)
bairnovos: to repilot (bair, archaic word for second + novos)
*ugusiaindan: proof (of a book) (*ugusi, to proofread + aindan, copy (of a book, etc.))
loi*ugusiaindan: re-proof (loi + *ugusiaindan)
amasihil: to rerank; reranking (amas(i), different + ihil, to rank; ranking)
khofembofinis: reremouse (poetic word for bat) (khofembo, spider + finis, mouse)
azelufoyan: rescale, to (a drawing or project) (azel, scale + ufoyan, to change; change)
prinzhent: to resheet (prin, new + zhent, sheet (of metal))
hesufoyan: to reskin; reskin (hes + ufoyan)
prinyeng: to reslant, to rebias (prin + yeng, slant, bias)
goka* is harafamas or gih for short: with all due respect (lit. "although I respect")
tzegin na shyualdes: resplendent quetzal (lit. "quetzal of avocadoes")
prinnazral: to restaff (prin + nazral, staff)
mekh az tamakhas: restorative justice (lit. "justice that makes amends")
seshemtadzab: restoration (for chipped or ground tooth) (seshem, to undo + tadzab, to chip). A filling for a cavity is zhubin, while a restoration for a part of a tooth a person was born without is tekeo -- both words I already had.
kahak: to streak (test a mineral)
loikahak: to restreak (loi- + kahak)
pwoiptz: restroom emergency
shawadak: to style (a bedroom, etc.)
loishawadak: to restyle (one's bedroom, etc.)
fazho: results (we want ~) (perhaps related to faz, to do, to accomplish)
fazhi: results-oriented (fazho + -i, adjective-forming suffix)
zgruwa: to reswallow
gataka: exception (in computer processing) (borrowed from Javarti gataka, interruption, from Jukasta ga, through + tak-, to break)
unva: to throw (an exception) (borrowed from Javarti unva, to throw)
kespa: to catch (an exception) (borrowed from Javarti kespa, to catch)
loyunva: to rethrow (loy- + unva)
oumb: retinoma
loinarigufoyan: to retransition (loi- + narig, gender + ufoyan)
gegenarigufoyan: to detransition (gege, back, again + narig + ufoyan)
loibwisuephel: to retrack (in altimetry) (loi- + bwisuephel, waveform)
memkardasenik: retro-futuristic (mem, they, them + kardas, to think + -en, past tense suffix + -ik, common suffix on artistic movements)
tamselkumiv: to retroject; Flintstoning (made of Ciladian roots: tam, now + selkumibh, past)
tamtutkumiv: Jetsoning (made of Ciladian roots: tam + kutkumibh, future)
akarka: Réunion solitaire, Réunion ibis
asinaw: reverse mermaid (wanisa, mermaid, spelt backwards)
odious: reverse merman (souido, merman, spelt backwards) -- by a crazy coincidence, this is spelt the same as the English word "odious" when Romanize (the pronunciation is almost identical too!)
tashlan: to revest (with office or authority)
iwebaikolas: Jack kardass az wan as iwebaikolas. = Jack thinks the world revolves around him. (iwe, universe + baikolas, center)
zhiosharil: its own reward (zhio, oneself + sharil, rewarding)

Lots of words for rewearing various items of clothing

shalmartia: rhetorical flourish
bourgrigavd: rhinoceros hornbill
burbaya: Rhodes grass
suguiln: rudimentary horn
sugwaus: rudimentary horn pregnancy, RHP
talfastya: ribbon snail
sisiti: ribbon snake
tzirnitzisyut: ribozyme (tzirniwan, RNA + tzisyut, enzyme)
zhongo: bend (in heraldry)
zhengo: bendlet
zhingo: riband (in heraldry)
fafkhev: ribwich
muangteing: rice paddy snake, rice snake (borrowed from an unspecified language of Dumang)
sezalta: rice milk
rikrol: to rickroll (with "Never Gonna Give You Up" in particular) (English borrowing)
helkolvugis: to rickroll (with any bait-and-switch video) (helkol, to roll (video/audio) + vugis, snake -- a reference to vugis pal kutshus, the Kankonian term for bait-and-switch, lit. "snake behind the door")
wiviski*: rillet (wivisk, rill + -i*, diminutive suffix)
brourash: rillette
bispu: rinderpest
oorbispudopom: morbillivirus (oor-, like, as + bispu + dopom, virus)
paulkomspesh: betting ring (paul, bet, wager + komspesh, area)
paulkomspeshik: ringman, ringwoman (in betting ring) (paulkomspesh + -ik, suffix for an inhabitant)
hupam-lotzo: ringed seal, jar seal (hupam, back (of body) + lotzo, ring, halo)
yemasevrith: radiation intelligence, RINT (yema-, computer prefix + sevrith, intelligence)
bi*utzokh: riverine navy, brown-water navy (borrowed from the proxy language for Kwemos)
phaugutzokh: blue-water navy (borrowed from the proxy language for Kwemos)
adtziseham: to Ritalinize (ad- + tziseham, methylphenidate)
kelikis: roadman, roadwoman (who builds or repairs roads) (kelik, road + -is, suffix for a person)
dulammeya (pl. dulammeyez): road man, road woman (musician who is constantly traveling in a vehicle) (dulam, van + meya, person)
felkhatz: road trip
arkhakekseti: rockmaster, azure damselfly (arkhak, rock + ekseti, dragonfly, damselfly)
apmash: role reversal (shampa, role, spelt backwards)
pozhuskut: to rollback (a database) (from pozhuss kut, to go back in time)
durghutar: Romeria (prehistoric reptile)
tyulubd: romeo (shoe)
sabinshpaf: rookie mistake (sabin, neophyte + shpaf, to flop)
rokfor: Roquefort (Terran borrowing)
nayizkarsk: roseate (full of roses) (nayiz, rose + karsk, thick, fig. "heavy on the ___")
spepiyeti: Rosenbergia rufolineata <----- Word #83,000!
nayizia: rosarium, rose garden (nayiz + -ia, suffix for a place)
donshwon: Rose Garden rubbish (baby-talk reduplication of donam, president)
Ke*ites na Tzumukh (pl.): rose garden (wonderful life or situation) (lit. "Fields of Chocolate")
yinsi: good as new
yinsivenit: rotable (yinsi + venit, good (for))
pophomur: freshwater sleeper (Odontobutidae)
pophomur hel kai*as takles: Amur sleeper, Chinese sleeper, rotan (Perccottus glenii) (lit. "sleeper with separate pectoral fins")
spetshua: sleeper (Eleotridae)
pakonushuri or pako for short: rotelle (borrowing from Hitan: pako, wheel + nushuri, pasta)
fraghdi ad: rough on (my parents are ~ me) (ad means "for" or "to"; fraghdi is the adjective)
hakhos na mepiza: rally-round-the-flag effect (lit. "effect of the awning"; mepiza, awning, is a reference to uhu fubul mepiza na, to get behind (a politician) (lit. "to go under the awning of")
puha'umi: royal penguin (borrowed from some Tzelshan language)
sesekitsha: rosaline, thulite
tukusphin: ruach, holy spirit (borrowing from Ciladian: tukus, holy, sacred + phin, breath)
bitheth: to rub noses; kunik, Eskimo kiss
zahoyasp: rustre
daspepasi: rumor has it (das, according to + pepasi, rumor)
uhu desenipeksis or uhudes for short: to run wild (of small children) (lit. "to go lovebug")
Tramakia: Ruritania (place of adventure, romance, and intrigue) (from literary place name)
khabzoghul: bum rush (khab, store, shop + zoghul, to seize)
bduhu: rutway
thaiyal: rye whiskey (American style)
thwikthwak: ryegrass

Idioms:

Av awivi pashas, wan efilas.: She doesn't know when to come in from the rain. (Lit. "When it rains, she dances.")
Av awivi pashas, wan os efilas.: She knows when to come in from the rain. (Lit. "When it rains, she doesn't dance.")
irkom shpad na o pal phigbil: to say the quiet part out loud ("Lit. "to put one's mouth behind the velvet line")
♂♥♂♀

prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

So I've been working, casually, on Rireinutire grammar terminology. All twelve noun cases (hoyonamu) of Rireinutire have now a native name, an endonym if you will. It was found that case names are based on the word hoyo 'position, posture'; thus one could say nouns assume various postures in a sentence, each according to its inclination.

imehoyo 'name-posture' nominative (NOM)
omahoyo 'own-posture' genitive (GEN)
kañehoyo 'meet-posture' accusative (ACC)
kokohoyo 'part-posture' partitive (PTV)
yasahoyo 'exist-posture' essive (ESS)
nusihoyo 'leave-posture' exessive (EXESS)
maheyasahoyo 'inside-exist-posture' inessive (INE)
mahenusihoyo 'inside-leave-posture' elative (ELA)
eñeyasahoyo 'outside-exist-posture' adessive (ADE)
eñenusihoyo 'outside-leave-posture' ablative (ABL)
apuhoyo 'company-posture' comitative (COM)
putehoyo 'address-posture' vocative (VOC)
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

“prettydragoon” wrote: It was found that case names are based on the word hoyo 'position, posture'; thus one could say nouns assume various postures in a sentence, each according to its inclination.

So do in-world native grammarians in your conlang, say (in effect) nouns have inclinations instead of declensions ?
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Cleared up the mess that is Hánásö plural marking. Also gave it a name.

Here are some examples of regular plural marking:

ano → ásánó
hésó → assésó
ta → atha
kárá → assárá
or töyara
vánghá → afánghá
váró → assáró
si → assi
tsö → assö
me → asse
nosso → athosso
ngwara → asswara
nörya → anörya
aba → tabá
to → tőro
tséni → tőréni
sya → törya
váró → tőwáró
vérí → tővérí
hésó → téwésó
hossí → tówossí
mire → tömire
möri → tövöri
nissi → tönissi
nossa → tötossa
ngosyo → tökosyo

I have a disproportionally large number of CVssV words.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

eldin raigmore wrote: 07 Sep 2023 17:32
“prettydragoon” wrote: It was found that case names are based on the word hoyo 'position, posture'; thus one could say nouns assume various postures in a sentence, each according to its inclination.

So do in-world native grammarians in your conlang, say (in effect) nouns have inclinations instead of declensions ?
Not really. They have only one word for both 'declension' and 'conjugation'; both are called yiyitasi 'inflection', prefixed as needed with imesune 'noun' or teñosune 'verb' for disambiguation. Different declensions would probably be called nama 'class' or yiyitasinama 'inflection class' for short.
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

After several days I finally finished the verbs in my currently unnamed conlang (for now). Ill probably make a more detailed post tomorrow since I have to be going to sleep really soon. I just wanted to share since I am very excited right now.
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 14 Sep 2023 03:40 After several days I finally finished the verbs in my currently unnamed conlang (for now). Ill probably make a more detailed post tomorrow since I have to be going to sleep really soon. I just wanted to share since I am very excited right now.
Ooooh! Would love to see it!

my garbage

she/her
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Verbs in my conlang are marked for one of 8 tenses and one of 9 persons.
The tenses are as follows:
  • Remote past
    • Imperfective: -tu
    • Perfective: -tea
  • Immediate past
    • Imperfective: -dɛ
    • Perfective: -dɛo /dɛɔ/
    • Perfect: -ɛn
  • Non-past
    • Imperfective: -ir
    • Perfective: -ira
    • Perfect: -irn
The persons:
  • 1st person
    • Singular: -k(a)-
    • Dual: -s(e)-
    • Plural: -w(i)-
  • 2nd person
    • Singular: -ɛk-
    • Dual: -ɛs-
    • Plural: -ɛw-
  • 3rd person
    • Singular: -kan-
    • Dual: -sen-
    • Plural: -wis-
Mood is conveyed through one of six copulas which are mandatory in most cases.
The copulas are sab (indicative), sagen (subjunctive), sabad (presumptive), yu (negative indicative), yufen (negative subjunctive), and yufad (negative presumptive).

With this we can form several sentences such as:
Kea sab seakadea mafur
/kea sab seakadea mafur/
1s COP.IND drink-1s-IP.PFV water.ABS
I drank the water.

Vɪson sabad seawen mafur
/vɪsɔn sab seawen mafur/
3p COP.SUPP drink-3p-IP.PRF water.ABS
They have likely drunk the water.

Verbs can also make use of several auxiliaries to express additional moods and tenses. Such as meuta "to go" being used to form the future, yomɛu "to start" to form the inchoative, and fosɪr "to follow" to form the conditional. Auxiliaries come between the verb and copula and are marked instead of the lexical verb.

Se yu yomɛusɪr sea mafur
/se ju yɔmɛusɪr seasir mafur/
2s COP.IND.NEG start-2s-NP.NPFV drink water.ABS
You do not begin to drink the water.

There are several ways to change the valency of a verb. The passive and reflexive are formed by suffixing -laqe (for the passive) or -efi (for the reflexive) to the copula. The causative is formed by reduplicating the onset and vowel of a verb's stressed syllable.

Feedback is much appreciated. Also apologies if this isn't formatted very well this is probably my first time sharing a conlang through text. Anyways thanks for reading :)
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

she/they/fluff
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Interesting system [:)]
I have some clarification questions if you don't mind.
In what order do affixes occur? I can infer that person/number suffixes precede tense suffixes, but where do the passive and reflexive suffixes fit in? Or do they never occur in the same word? [This somewhat depends on how mandatory copulas are.]
Similarly, what affixes can occur on copulas and auxiliaries? Are cop/auxs also attested as independent verbs (meaning 'to be', 'to go', 'to follow', etc.)? If so, do they recombine with other copulas/auxiliaries? And do they show all the contrast that occur in other contexts?
Finally, you say that the order of verbal elements is roughly cop aux verb. Can copulas stack, i.e. can you have more than one in a verb phrase? Similarly, can auxiliaries stack (e.g. If I will start to turn old...)? If they can stack, can each be modified by its own copula again?

Kudos again, the system looks relatively comprehensive and nicely varied.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

In cases where the copula isn't used such as the imperative, the voice suffixes will go on the lexical verb after the person and tense-aspect suffixes.

Copulas and auxiliaries can be used as independent verbs and are marked accordingly in those cases (person-tense-voice [when no copula is present]). In this case auxiliaries can combine with other auxiliaries.

Only one copula can be used in one verb phrase but auxiliaries can stack. They do not get their own copulas, though that may be a fun idea for some of this language's descendants.
And do they show all the contrast that occur in other contexts?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, would you care to elaborate?
Kudos again, the system looks relatively comprehensive and nicely varied.
Thank you! I have put quite a bit of work into it [:)]

she/they/fluff
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 16 Sep 2023 01:55
And do they show all the contrast that occur in other contexts?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, would you care to elaborate?
I think you already answered this question. Independent auxiliaries and copulaa are inflected for all categories that occur on other verbs, IIUC.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I decided how complex nouns are formed in Euta. The system is a bit too similar to that of Dleesoop viewtopic.php?t=7639 but the modifiers do not try to be verbs.

I also translated three sentences.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I did the W's in the Irish Gaelic dictionary I use to compile the Landau Core Vocabulary. Today, as I was looking up the word "western", I read the following senses:

3 noun CINE, TV-RAD film scannán buachaillí bó c m u

4 noun LIT story scéal buachaillí bó c m u

. . . and I marveled at the fact that I had learned enough Irish to know that buachaill was the Irish word for "boy", and the Irish word for "cow". I figured out that this meant "cowboy".
♂♥♂♀

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I lost sleep adding o to Apwapɨrɨng.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

DesEsseintes wrote: 24 Sep 2023 07:31 I lost sleep adding o to Apwapɨrɨng.
Please elaborate!

my garbage

she/her
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

After weeks of work, my custom sound changer can finally handle identities - which is to say, it can apply a rule such as:

C → C1 / C1V_

To convert a dummy word like /bananil/ to /babanin/.
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Üdj wrote: 08 Sep 2023 16:54 Cleared up the mess that is Hánásö plural marking. Also gave it a name.

ano → ásánó
[…]
ngosyo → tökosyo
Lovely!
This is the opposite of a bad thing.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

DesEsseintes wrote: 02 Oct 2023 14:56
Üdj wrote: 08 Sep 2023 16:54 Cleared up the mess that is Hánásö plural marking. Also gave it a name.

ano → ásánó
[…]
ngosyo → tökosyo
Lovely!
Thanks! :mrgreen:
DesEsseintes wrote: 02 Oct 2023 14:56
This is the opposite of a bad thing.
[+1]
DesEsseintes wrote: 24 Sep 2023 07:31 I lost sleep adding o to Apwapɨrɨng.
Please elaborate!

my garbage

she/her