Which conlangs are you working on and/or still plan to work on?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Znex
roman
roman

Which conlangs are you working on and/or still plan to work on?

Post by Znex »

Somewhat inspired by Arayaz's recentish thread about our conlanging-keeping habits.

Hopefully this can be a place where people can talk about our main conlangs without feeling the pressure of needing to describe it in detail! I never post about my conlangs for instance bc I feel like either I don't have very much to say about it or don't know how to describe it in properly interesting posts.

I have a lot of text files I still keep hidden around, but there's probably still a select number I'll ever end up going back to.

People are probably aware of my most recent conlang, Yorkish. I'm really happy with how I'm progressing with it at the moment; I've just been focusing mainly on translations and comparison with Nordic vs. Anglo-Scottish phrasing and syntax. It's a conlang that's meant to feel a bit uncanny to both Anglophones and Nordophones, like an odd compromise between the two while still becoming its own thing. Also seeing what (Cumbrian) Celtic influence can do to make things even more interesting. I'm pretty content with the resulting sound at the moment, just still tweaking words here and there as I go along.

I still have a Greek Prakrit lang I'm meaning to get to. This is a lang expanding on the influence left behind from Alexander the Great's campaigns in India and seeing how far a Koine Greek descendant can go from two angles: a more conservative placing in the area of Pakistan and Afghanistan and trying to keep it recognisably Greek but also obviously Indianised, or near Hindustan and letting it go full pelt through the flurry of changes and lenition that characterises the Hindustani language's evolution from Sanskrit.

There's a Plains Tocharian lang: basically drop Proto-Tocharian, already very unique in the broad IE family, into the North American Great Plains, and let it evolve alongside Caddoan and Siouan and Algonquian. Tocharian already shrunk the PIE phoneme inventory considerably, so I figured why not shrink it even further and make something functional and fun out of it! Also considering dropping Proto-Samoyedic in with it and mixing the two in part and seeing what further chaos I can wreak with it.

There's my successor lang to Hawntow. Hawntow was an older language I was working on with the inspiration of minimalist languages like Rotokas and Pirahã and further reducing the phoneme inventory to six phonemes: four stop/approximant phonemes that doubled as vowels (/t j w ʕ/), and two extra phonemes (/n h/). Since then I've reduced it even further to only the four, with only three doubling as vowels. Hawntow I had also planned would be polysynthetic or agglutinative like some other Papuan languages like Yimas, and also like Pirahã, but since then I'm now seeing how far I can push the isolating bar, while also compounding core lexemes for most non-basic words.

I also not long ago started working on a Neo-Gaulish language, going off an old concept I had years back. I tried to go for something that looked like Welsh and Breton, but I decided more recently, by influence from Celticists like Schrijver regarding the little attestation we have of late Gaulish development, to go with what might seem more like a odd mix of Irish and Welsh sound changes. Also I'm taking more influence from how some French regional languages like broader Oïl (particularly Walloon) and Franco-Provençal have developed in contrast to French, and how the Germanic languages near the French border have developed in turn.

Oh, and I was also working on a Paleo-Antarctic lang, basically being an amalgamation of styles from Patagonian languages, Tasmanian/southern Pama-Nyungan, and Paleo-Siberian (eg. Nivkh, Chukotko-Kamchatkan). This is another exercise in a priori langing and researching languages I otherwise wouldn't really be looking into, plus opportunity to look into Pama-Nyungan (I'm Australian, so the native languages of where I live).

I think those are my main ones atm. I'll re-edit this post if I think of any more I have stashed away that might be posted on here eventually.
Last edited by Znex on 25 Nov 2023 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
lurker
greek
greek

Re: Which conlangs are you working on and/or still plan to work on?

Post by lurker »

Sounds like you're a fan of a posteriori conlangs. I dabbled in one once. It was a Romance language that used umlaut to form plurals, thus can = dog and cæn = dogs and so forth.

I've only made significant progress on two languages in the 20+ years I've been at this hobby, and one of them is Commonthroat, the language I'm working on now. It's not my first foray into non human phonology. There was one I called Chromagloss that used colors, with red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow, and white being the phonemes, and changes in brightness and saturation acting as supersegmentals.

Commonthroat incorporates a couple ideas I used in other sketch langs, chiefly inflecting nouns for personal and spatial deixis as well as a rich vocabulary describing non visual sensations like odors and textures.

There's also a hypothetical purely written language in the same setting as Commonthroat called Commonpaw that I may or may not get to at some point. It's somewhere between a signed language and a logography. Part of me feels like I have to detail it because I've made a big deal about the yinrih evolving written language directly rather than inventing writing to record spoken language. But when I tried to document the written language it quickly became impossible to store lexemes in a way that I could look up later. For now I'm going with the explanation that the written and spoken languages have merged over the hundred thousand years the yinrih have been sapient such that it looks just like a normal language with a normal orthography.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I have my cat language, Nyango, which is derived from Old Japanese and affected by Japanese at various stages, but is mostly pretty conservative in some ways and innovative in a few unique areas. I haven't quite gotten the balance of innovation and conservation that I like just yet.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

My main project is Old Albic, which belongs to the fictional Hesperic branch of the Indo-European family, and I am currently working on Proto-Hesperic (though right now only at a very slow pace, as I am too occupied with other matters). The Hesperic family is planned to contain, besides Old Albic, about 20 modern languages, all spoken by small minorities in various places in western Europe. Besides these, I have some ideas for other projects, including two modern Continental Celtic languages that will not resemble Insular Celtic ones - so no VSO order, no initial mutations, etc. But first, I want to get Old Albic into a well-rounded shape.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

I've been developing 3SDeductiveLanguage(1Sense=1Sign=1Sound) for half a century,
and if all goes well I hope to work on it for another two decades...
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Adpihi, my first conlang;
Reptigan, a daughterlang of Adpihi;
Arpien, a conlang with a complete CFG in Chomsky-Normal Form;
/muakn/, a conlang with 729 genders, all phonetically-determined;
And a conlang I haven’t named yet which is a huge generalization of 3Cons.
….
In three cases I’ve recently been working more on the conworlds and concultures than on the conlangs.
Adpihi, Reptigan, and Ataivsh (the homeworld of Arpien).
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

The language i am currently working on is Amarin. I've been hoping to revise my old Akanan projects for a while but instead i keep starting new ones.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

I'm working on Yolo, a relative of LTS's Engála that has noun incorporation. I'm also doing a collaborative creole that formed between Japanese, Portuguese, and English on a generation ship (and subsequently evolves over thousands of years and becomes Proto-World on Alpha Centauri b or something). I have plans in the back of my head for a Basque-ish language using direct/inverse alignment, but I've not started that yet.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

My main conlang is griushkoent. In its thread, there aren't much details anyway and it's just announcements or short posts.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I am planning to work on another Heartlang in the distant future and succeed this time. Also, another conlang that roughly has the syntax of [Aspect particle] [pronominal/proper noun subject] [Verb] [Adverbs] [Nominal Subject] [Object].
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Creyeditor wrote: 27 Nov 2023 02:42 I am planning to work on another Heartlang in the distant future and succeed this time. Also, another conlang that roughly has the syntax of [Aspect particle] [pronominal/proper noun subject] [Verb] [Adverbs] [Nominal Subject] [Object].
The [Nominal Subject] is supposed to be a common noun, not a proper noun? (Nor pronoun, I see!)
Must it be definite? Or at least specific/referential?

I look forward to updates!
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Besides Silvish, I’ve been working on two new conlangs lately.

The first is an Indo-European language loosely based on Phrygian. Right now, I call it Faux Phrygian or βρουκικά /brukiˈka/. The early sound changes are similar to what has been reconstructed for Phrygian, but beyond that I’m using it as a canvas for my own phonology and grammar ideas, and as a means to learn more about Greek and IE diachronics. The only ironclad restriction is that the word for “bread” must be βέκος /ˈbekos/, since I learned of a fun story about a pharaoh using that word as evidence that Phrygia was an older nation than Egypt. Faux Phrygian has a relatively similar phoneme inventory to Ancient Greek, but it arrived there by a different route, so the distributions are different. The language also dropped contrastive vowel length but kept the stress shifts triggered by vowel length, so that’s fun.

The other conlang has no name or vocabulary or phonology yet. It’s an a priori conlang inspired by the way PIE and older IE languages had sets of etymologically related verbs, usually varying based on aspect, that eventually coalesced into single paradigms. But for this language, I’m trying to apply the concept to nouns. The proto-language would have had sets of related nouns that each refer to a person, object etc., but with focus on different features; think how in English one can use “person” to refer to an individual with emphasis on their personhood (Every person here is important) or on their physical body (The jewels were hidden on his person). In the modern language, these derivatives begin to function more like cases. Not sure how it’ll work, if at all, but it’s fun to puzzle through.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Dormouse559 wrote: 28 Nov 2023 01:17 Besides Silvish, I’ve been working on two new conlangs lately.

The first is an Indo-European language loosely based on Phrygian. Right now, I call it Faux Phrygian or βρουκικά /brukiˈka/. The early sound changes are similar to what has been reconstructed for Phrygian, but beyond that I’m using it as a canvas for my own phonology and grammar ideas, and as a means to learn more about Greek and IE diachronics. The only ironclad restriction is that the word for “bread” must be βέκος /ˈbekos/, since I learned of a fun story about a pharaoh using that word as evidence that Phrygia was an older nation than Egypt. Faux Phrygian has a relatively similar phoneme inventory to Ancient Greek, but it arrived there by a different route, so the distributions are different. The language also dropped contrastive vowel length but kept the stress shifts triggered by vowel length, so that’s fun.
Which kind of Phrygian phonology are you using? Because some people say that Phrygian underwent an Armenian-like shift of the stops, while others say that it didn't.
My conlang pages
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

WeepingElf wrote: 28 Nov 2023 12:55
Dormouse559 wrote: 28 Nov 2023 01:17 Besides Silvish, I’ve been working on two new conlangs lately.

Which kind of Phrygian phonology are you using? Because some people say that Phrygian underwent an Armenian-like shift of the stops, while others say that it didn't.
The Armenian-like shift. You can actually see an example in the endonym I provided (Greek pʰ g = Faux Phrygian b k). I find that hypothesis pretty convincing, given the vocabulary I’ve looked at.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Dormouse559 wrote: 28 Nov 2023 17:20
WeepingElf wrote: 28 Nov 2023 12:55

The Armenian-like shift. You can actually see an example in the endonym I provided (Greek pʰ g = Faux Phrygian b k). I find that hypothesis pretty convincing, given the vocabulary I’ve looked at.
Apparently, the scholarly consensus has moved away from it. It is tempting to see Phrygian as an older version of Armenian which had already undergone the shift but otherwise still was a conservative IE language, but:

1. It seems as if the Armenian stop shift happened rather late and only after their arrival in historical Armenia, as the oldest Iranian loanwords have taken part in it.
2. Phrygian seems to be closer to Greek than to Armenian, which probably means that the Phrygians came to Anatolia later than the Armenians; perhaps the former pushed the latter further east.

Alas, I am no expert on this, but there is a quite recent book (The Indo-European language family: a phylogenetic perspective edited by Thomas Olander, 2022) which says so. And you are of course free to do what you want in your conlang; after all, I am using a daredevil hypothesis about the language of the Bell Beaker people which is almost certainly dead wrong, in my Hesperic/Albic project.
My conlang pages
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

WeepingElf wrote: 28 Nov 2023 19:33
Dormouse559 wrote: 28 Nov 2023 17:20
WeepingElf wrote: 28 Nov 2023 12:55Which kind of Phrygian phonology are you using? Because some people say that Phrygian underwent an Armenian-like shift of the stops, while others say that it didn't.
Apparently, the scholarly consensus has moved away from it. It is tempting to see Phrygian as an older version of Armenian which had already undergone the shift but otherwise still was a conservative IE language, but:

1. It seems as if the Armenian stop shift happened rather late and only after their arrival in historical Armenia, as the oldest Iranian loanwords have taken part in it.
2. Phrygian seems to be closer to Greek than to Armenian, which probably means that the Phrygians came to Anatolia later than the Armenians; perhaps the former pushed the latter further east.

Alas, I am no expert on this, but there is a quite recent book (The Indo-European language family: a phylogenetic perspective edited by Thomas Olander, 2022) which says so. And you are of course free to do what you want in your conlang; after all, I am using a daredevil hypothesis about the language of the Bell Beaker people which is almost certainly dead wrong, in my Hesperic/Albic project.
I should say that I don’t have any opinion on how closely related Phrygian may be to Greek or Armenian, though I am looking to both for ideas in Faux Phrygian. That’s above my pay grade. Thank you for citing that book; it looks like a really helpful source for up-to-date research, and I’m amazed that it’s free to read online [:D] As I read it, it doesn’t say that Phrygian didn’t have the consonant shift I’m using, just that the language is genetically closer to Greek than Armenian.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Indeed, it doesn't explicitly address the question of the stop shift, but its absence is implied by it not being mentioned as a common feature of Phrygian and Armenian. If the author of the relative chapter was of the opinion that Phrygian had an Armenian-like shift, he'd have stated that this was a feature shared by both languages, and he doesn't. Also, IIRC Phrygian is now considered a kentum language (like Greek) while Armenian has a satem-like development (IMHO independent from the developments in Balto-Slavic and Indo-Iranian, though).
My conlang pages
Kelisot
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Kelisot »

I have not posted yet, but I plan to post Sruqa, a language that's possibly analytic (or fusional) with nature.
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Currently I am working on two languages Hɛlcɛso /xɛlt͡ʃɛsɔ/ and 'ai'u /ʔai̯ʔu/. Theyre both a part of a conworld Ive been making. I plan on evolving them into more languages once I get them a bit more fleshed out. Im also planning on making more langs for this world, including a creole between the two (or some of their descendents). Ill make posts about them eventually, Hɛlcɛso is more developed so it'll probably get a post first though.

Outside of the conworld I want to make a romance descended lang (I actually tried to last week but Ive put it on hiatus). I also have a Southern American English descended lang called Saits. I'm probably also going to sketch out a language today, haven't thought much about it yet though

Update: I have started working on the scratchlang and am now developing it into an artlang! Here is the thread about it: viewtopic.php?t=8006
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Kelisot wrote: 29 Nov 2023 16:38 I have not posted yet, but I plan to post Sruqa, a language that's possibly analytic (or fusional) with nature.
I have never heard of a language that is both analytic and fusional.
Are you planning one of each type?
Or you just have not chosen between those types yet?