What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
lurker
roman
roman

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by lurker »

I discovered a "wiki" solution that operates entirely in JavaScript on the client side, meaning it works on Neocities. It uses a single (disturbingly large) HTML file that you save as your index.html page. With Neocities you have to copy-paste the raw code into a blank index.html file. Calling it a "wiki" is somewhat misleading, as it doesn't automatically keep track of pages for you, you have to manually edit a navigation file, but it automatically parses markdown files, which is why I sought it out. This means I can directly transfer a lot of my worlbuilding notes into it, since they're written in Obsidian, which itself uses markdown.

MDWiki site

My updated neocities page

I don't like the blinding white style it uses, but perhaps that's something I can tweak.
lurker
roman
roman

Post by lurker »

I think I may have finally solved my issue with relative clauses and prepositional phrases.

Previously I had a dedicated complementizer <F> that you stuck before the relative clause. That felt too artificial since <F> was used for nothing else. I think instead I'll use <b> "of". Other languages use genitive phrases to form relative clauses as well, so this feels more natural. Furthermore, I was fretting over how to handle a relative clause where the gap that would normally indicate the noun being described by the relative clause is the object of a preposition.You can't drop the object of a preposition in the main clause, but you can turn any preposition into an adverb by using the particle <m>. So I think what I'll do is make it so that the preposition in the relative clause is turned into an adverb.

So a quick gloss:

1. in box-3D {I} put-A book-3I "I put a book in that box"
2. box-3D big-A "That box is big"
3. box-3D of in ADV {I} put-A book-3I big-A "that box I put a book inside is big"

Note that <m> is not a pronoun but a particle that turns a preposition into an adverb.

I may elaborate on this adverbial particle by using it for static locations, and having another particle, perhaps <mq> to indicate motion towards.
Last edited by lurker on 24 Sep 2024 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I would really love a mock Englisch translation. Could it be: "The box of I inny put a book is big."? I think English should steal that construction.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
lurker
roman
roman

Post by lurker »

Creyeditor wrote: 24 Sep 2024 00:28 I would really love a mock Englisch translation. Could it be: "The box of I inny put a book is big."? I think English should steal that construction.
English allows you to put a preposition at the end of a sentence.“The box I put a book in is big.” I had considered this as a solution but wanted to avoid making it too English.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant trying to emulate your construction with English. Maybe: "The box I inly put a book is big.”?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I finished up with the J-words in Kankonian! From word #100,812, Dzhaboya (meaning "Jaboya") to word #101,069, Yutping (meaning "Jyutping"), I have 258 new words.

And both of my "end words" are Terran borrowings again.

In the process, I passed word #101,000: but dzholokia, meaning "bhut jolokia" or "ghost pepper". Yet another Terran borrowing.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: Now at 101,000 words!

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
HolyHandGrenade!
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by HolyHandGrenade! »

Khemehekis wrote: 03 Oct 2024 02:29 I passed word #101,000
Oh wow, you are an absolute monster. I, as a scrapper, can barely fathom how this is possible.
You, know if you pass this on to your children you can probably get to 1 million.
lurker
roman
roman

Post by lurker »

HolyHandGrenade! wrote: 03 Oct 2024 03:02 Oh wow, you are an absolute monster. I, as a scrapper, can barely fathom how this is possible.
I am also in awe. One of the tragedies of having ADHD is not being able to see something through. I've been working on Commonthroat for a year now, and it's by far my most developed conlang, but I'm backing up and starting to second guess a lot of stuff. Should I revamp prepositions into coverbs? Are my word-formation methods to Indo-european? Are they too haphazard? Stuff like that. I hope I get the relay torch soon as I was counting on a nice long translation exercise to help firm things up.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

HolyHandGrenade! wrote: 03 Oct 2024 03:02
Khemehekis wrote: 03 Oct 2024 02:29 I passed word #101,000
Oh wow, you are an absolute monster. I, as a scrapper, can barely fathom how this is possible.
Maybe I just don't see the flaws in my conlangs.
You, know if you pass this on to your children you can probably get to 1 million.
Oh, I'm not planning to have children. I'm single and bisexual, proud to be childfree.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

lurker wrote: 03 Oct 2024 03:11 I am also in awe. One of the tragedies of having ADHD is not being able to see something through.
So maybe it's my OCD that's allowed me to stick with Kankonian and my other Leholangs for so long?
I've been working on Commonthroat for a year now, and it's by far my most developed conlang, but I'm backing up and starting to second guess a lot of stuff. Should I revamp prepositions into coverbs? Are my word-formation methods to Indo-european? Are they too haphazard? Stuff like that. I hope I get the relay torch soon as I was counting on a nice long translation exercise to help firm things up.
I'm a filler, so if I have a good idea about how one conlang could've done something differently, it usually just goes into another Leholang.
♂♥♂♀

Nel Fie
sinic
sinic

Post by Nel Fie »

After being bogged down by a bunch of IDE bugs and extraneous issues, I finally got back to working on my sound changer / diachronic conlang creation tool, and set up the basic GUI for a phonological unit editor (i.e. segments, diacritics, classes) that will make it easier to modify them. So far, addition and edition was largely done through an Excel-style sheet, then supplemented by a mass additor tool.

For now, the unit editor only has the basic functionality of displaying all information about the unit, which is already pretty useful, but next I'll implement:

- actually modifying the unit
- reverting said modifications with a button
- validating added features (i.e. testing features for actually existing)
- clearing the editor
- creating a new unit

But a big point of the editor is that it'll leave an open door for adding functionalities as needed, e.g. adding tags or comments to units, or attaching a picture or sound file, or basically anything else you might want.
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner | (DGS) Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr
Nel Fie
sinic
sinic

Post by Nel Fie »

All of the above are now implemented (except my last sentence about "functionalities as needed), next up I'm thinking about implementing a re-ordering mechanism for phonological units which will reorder them based on the unicode codepoint of their symbol, as well as some functionalities to let users decide where a newly-created unit will be inserted into the list.

The main reason for all this is that currently, any new unit is simply appended to the existing list in the project's save-file, and this could lead to some annoyance if you want things to be in a particular order. Unfortunately, the tools that handle the file IO proper are not very good about ordering, so that'll be a bit of a hassle to work out.
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner | (DGS) Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr
lurker
roman
roman

Post by lurker »

I updated my Neocities page. It now has all the stories I've written so far on the LG megathread. I decided to ditch MDWiki. The style was hard for me to read (light gray text on a white background), and using alternative themes requires fetching additional resources from elsewhere on the internet as the page loads. No thanks.

In stead, I've decided to embrace the retro ethos of Neocities and have the site structure mirror the underlying directory structure of the server. All the stories are in a folder named "stories". Within the stories folder is an index file, just like the index.html file at the root of hte site, that has links to each story in the folder. I'll (slowly) try to get more of the lore up, with a similar folder structure. One for xenoergonomics, one for the history of Focus, etc.

I've combined some of the multipart stories into single pages and made some minor tweaks to the text. I will most likely be updating the stories as I see fit, especially Table Manners, as that was spun off from the analysis swap game when people stopped playing, and the story starts in medias res, and not in a good way.