Non-spheroid conworlds (now talking about horizons)

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Non-spheroid conworlds (now talking about horizons)

Post by Pe King »

Will Conworld have oceans? Will the oceans be contained by land or will they spill over. If they spill over were does the water come from, weather, Magic portals, under ground?

How do people treat the edges. Have people gone below the land mass? Are there other land masses. Can you fly to them?

P.S. MrKrov not convinced. That takes a stubborn self centered twit doesn't it?
One just isn't enough.

I am praying for you all, with sincerity and on occasion gritted teeth.

Mathew 5:43-44

I seldom think before I speak.
That requires patience, an art I have little practice in.

-Pe King, I hope.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

No, especially when what I'm "not convinced" of is left vague.
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

Pe King wrote:P.S. MrKrov not convinced. That takes a stubborn self centered twit doesn't it?
I'm not convinced, and I'm sure I'm not a stubborn, self-centered twit. Nor are my Christian relatives and friends.

[picket] STOP DERAILMENT [/picket]
clockworkbanana
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by clockworkbanana »

Pe King wrote:Will Conworld have oceans? Will the oceans be contained by land or will they spill over. If they spill over were does the water come from, weather, Magic portals, under ground?
Yes. Part of the oceans (well, seas) will be cut off from the edge by land, but the bits that go up to the edge just stop. At least at the beginning of the book, the place is a perfect circle of land and water under a half-sphere dome of sky. Which at least will make it easier to have a pseudo-Earthlike water cycle, in some places.
How do people treat the edges. Have people gone below the land mass? Are there other land masses. Can you fly to them?
People from the center probably think the edges amazing, but people who live by the edges just see then as part of normal life. Like I said, stuff just sort of stops when it gets to the edges. I haven't yet decided if one could go under the land mass, but if someone did it would not be by going over the edge. That isn't to say you couldn't see off the edge, it would just be like running into a forcefield.
ImageImageImageImage
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

clockworkbanana wrote:
Pe King wrote:Will Conworld have oceans? Will the oceans be contained by land or will they spill over. If they spill over were does the water come from, weather, Magic portals, under ground?
Yes. Part of the oceans (well, seas) will be cut off from the edge by land, but the bits that go up to the edge just stop. At least at the beginning of the book, the place is a perfect circle of land and water under a half-sphere dome of sky. Which at least will make it easier to have a pseudo-Earthlike water cycle, in some places.
Is the twist ending that they are trapped in a snow globe? O_o
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

Dang. I had an idea quite similar to this ages ago (like before I grew facial hair). It's actually where the idea for my Nejadish conlang/conworld started. I never did figure out jack shit about the physics, though.
This is the world.
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

How is the water kept in. I am guessing that there is no hiking or climing down to the other side this would be a great place to hide a secret society or government base. Also how big is this world?

I was out of line but please still realize this is a clash of BELIEFS tongues will lash and toes will be stepped on. Different personalities deal in different ways I deal in sarcasm.
One just isn't enough.

I am praying for you all, with sincerity and on occasion gritted teeth.

Mathew 5:43-44

I seldom think before I speak.
That requires patience, an art I have little practice in.

-Pe King, I hope.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Ossicone wrote:
clockworkbanana wrote:
Is the twist ending that they are trapped in a snow globe? O_o
I once attempted to make a really hardcore sci-fi conworld where one of the many pastimes of the people there was to make conworlds. And I mean actually *making* them in pocket universes. So someone deciding to stick a bunch of people in a snowglobe could (and probably did) happen. Oh the fun to be had...
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
clockworkbanana
cuneiform
cuneiform

Ossicone wrote: Is the twist ending that they are trapped in a snow globe? O_o
XD no, but it does have that kind of look from the "outside". Or maybe it's one of the gods' snow globes.
Pe King wrote:Also how big is this world?
I'm not sure on a specific size, but it should be big enough for a few kingdoms but small enough that if someone is determined they can cross from one side to the other on foot in several months, and if they were really ambitious and a bit lucky see every town in a human lifetime.

To answer a question from a bit back, no other "worlds" are visible. Even if one could get through the forcefield around the world and sky, and out toward the stars, one would not be able to fly to another world.

On a side note, I'm not sure whether I should make the sun, moons, planets (if any) and stars turn so it would be more like Earth (sun/moons rise and set in the same places each day and certain constellations slowly move overhead), or if they should go around the disk (so the sun and stuff only disappear from sight because people only see so far and the light only travels so far).
ImageImageImageImage
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Micamo wrote:
Xonen wrote:I've occasionally toyed with the idea of having a gas giant with a very thick atmosphere with huge formations of some kind of lightweight rock floating in it. Creatures living on those rock formations would probably think they're living on a flat world floating in some kind of misty void. However, I'm not sure if I could think of a plausible way for such rock formations to get there in the first place.
You could make the "rock formation" just dirt piled on top of a giant whale that can float through the clouds.
Or just forget the rocks and have creatures live right on the back of gigantic "whales" (or "turtles" or "dragons" or whatever); they probably couldn't even tell the difference. Yes, I considered that, too, but then you have to figure out how such giants could evolve in a world composed of nothing but gases.
Pe King wrote:I was out of line but please still realize this is a clash of BELIEFS tongues will lash and toes will be stepped on.
Um, no. It's entirely possible to remain civil in a discussion on beliefs. People who can't do that either need to learn how or take such discussions elsewhere.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Xonen wrote:Or just forget the rocks and have creatures live right on the back of gigantic "whales" (or "turtles" or "dragons" or whatever); they probably couldn't even tell the difference. Yes, I considered that, too, but then you have to figure out how such giants could evolve in a world composed of nothing but gases.
What if they tried digging?

As for evolution of this particular creature I always did like Carl Sagan's pot-induced vision. It's not completely realistic but it is better than whatever I could come up with on my own.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
clockworkbanana
cuneiform
cuneiform

Well, I have two thoughts for this world, and they would be very different from each other.

More Earth-like: The sun, moon, planets and similar objects would move over the world in a circular movement, meaning there would be an east, west, north and south like we think of, shadows would appear when the sun rose, shrink as the sun reached its zenith and grow again as the sun sank, and disappear when the sun set. Then the sun would travel under what people knew as the world during the night, and there could be a whole other world there. (Well that's less like Earth, but shadows and stuff that would be noticeable day to day would be the same as here.) There would be a specific place that would be closest to the sun when it rises, and another that's closest to where the sun sets.

Less Earth-like: The sun and stars go around the world on the same plain the world itself is on (or pretty close). The sun shines just bright enough that the center point is (assuming a flat world) always in twilight. Some places surrounded by mountains will never have sunlight because the sun never gets over the mountains. Shadows are always long, but just point in different directions throughout the day. The sun doesn't set, just travels too far "west" for people to see it distinctly (maybe it looks like a star?) And all places along the edge of the world will be closest to the sun at some point.

Either way, if I added more world, things would get messed up. Either way, I still have a race that isn't fond of daylight that could originally come from an interesting place in the world, and either way my MC will still become a paladin of sorts and have adventures.
ImageImageImageImage
bootmii
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by bootmii »

Don't forget Biblaridion's Refugium, a flat earth with a stationary magical sun.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

bootmii wrote: 08 Aug 2021 07:29 Don't forget Biblaridion's Refugium, a flat earth with a stationary magical sun.
You found this thread (and with it, this board) via Google?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!