The random Wikipedia article challenge

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Andlat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: The random Wikipedia article challenge

Post by Andlat »

My article was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stephen_Willison

While in Ottawa he became friends with future Prime Minister of Canada Wilfrid Laurier.

Kwëpta
Hína kautan gúvari avúla Wilfrid Laurier, júzen ewöa ëal hyö Kanada, pamma preu Otawa.
3S become.PAST friend.PL with Wilfrid Laurier, minister prime future of Canada, while in Ottawa.
He became friends with Wilfrid Laurier, future Prime Minister of Canada, while in Ottawa.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:con: Ngolu

Akuo 1848 to limua ja Muhlenberg ji Catherine Anne Muhlenberg.
LOC.TEMP.C be.1848 thus make.wife NOM.3s.DEF.MASC.REL be.Muhlenberg ACC.3s.DEF.ANIM.REL be.Catherine be.Anne be.Muhlenberg
In 1848 Muhlenberg married Catherine Anne Muhlenberg.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Savanna_Province ==> Only one sentence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_theory_approach

The idea that individuals can generate their own unique explanations for their educational influences in their own learning, in the learning of others and in the learning of social formations, as their living educational theory has been gaining credibility since the establishment of the Self-Study of Teacher Education Practices Special Interest Group of the American Educational Research Association in 1993 (S-STEP, 1993)

Sorry, but that's a bit too long and difficult for me. I want to get finished today :)

Better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bleach_volumes

Since that event, Ichigo has to fight Hollows, evil spirits of past humans that feed on unwary people.
Tize vat urun, Iyigo ianteblodet veronan, manzoloman o'palanmavániatsan, vit iymuy'i uleocevèpasan.
since that event, Ichigo must-fight-3SG hollow-PL, spirit-evil-PL of'human-PL-passaway-GER-PL that feedon-3PL people-NEG-patient-PL
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
AMG
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by AMG »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souvenirs_from_Earth

:eng: In 2006, SFE received the license to broadcast in Germany and the channel officially went on air that year

:con: bödariimu
Mamooto 2006 SFE ötjmenedrime nomolaröt, eete plogzjut Doitslandas, wö ganaalo oviitsiilötj owjdyy geröt mamooto öti dezdi.
During 2006 SFE permission.ACC.SG receive.3SG.PST.PRF, in.order.to send.3SG.PRS Germany.LOC, and channel.NOM.SG official.ADV air.ALL go.3SG.PST.PRF during that.DAT.SG year.DAT.SG
Last edited by AMG on 26 Oct 2014 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Wheatley

:eng: Initially a short film maker and animator, Wheatley moved his work to the internet, gaining a wider audience.

:con: Selvesc
Amprima enregistraor de cort-metrages et animaor, lo Wheatley ispuos le sie uobre a Internet, bavagnant piuspa speitaoris.
[amˈpɾema ɛnɾɛdʑɪstɾaˈɔɾ də kɔɾmmɛˈtɾadʑəs ɛ‿ɾanɪmaˈɔɾ lə ˈʊ̯itlɪ ɪsˈpus lə ˈsi ˈubɾ‿a‿ɪ̯ntɛɾˈnɛt bavaˈɲant ˈpɪ̯ospa spɛɪ̯taˈɔɾɪs]
Last edited by Dormouse559 on 18 Nov 2014 20:52, edited 3 times in total.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

First try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Det_Norske_Jernkompani, too small
Second try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lanka_ ... mpionships. 4 sentences, almost there.
First Presbyterian Church of Abilene, also too short.

Yay! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_M._Auman.

:eng: On 12 November 1942, when his company was forced to make a temporary withdrawal, Private Auman, with utter disregard for his own personal safety, manned a machine gun and covered the retirement.

(Had to dig up an old conlang because my current one belongs to a pre-historic culture)

:con: Søsøzatli:

Zhumin ginsabasødø lli 1942'n konshirhøn dengefø zin fepushikan plisongilen,
[ʒʊˈmɪn gɪnsɑbɑsøˈdø ɬɪ βænʃækɪnvɑlønˈgɑ dɑβɑlønˈgɑ dɑn kɔnʃiˈɹøn dængæˈfø zɪn fæpʊʃɪˈkɑn plɪsɔngɪˈlæn]
Zhumi-n ginsabasødø=lli 1942-n kon-shirhø-n den-gefø=zin fepu-shi-kan plisongilen
3PS-POSS war.company=BEN.DEF.SG 1942-POSS eleven-month-POSS twelve-day=LOC.DEF.SG go.away-CAUS-CONS temporary

zhumin puþikazaða lli zhulafopibaga, fepupuðama lli puþikazhishiltu Ginsabasø Auman li fepupøshisupenka la þrhi.
[ʒʊˈmɪn pʊθɪkɑzɑˈðɑ ɬɪ ʒʊlɑɸɔpɪbɑˈgɑ | fæpʊpʊðɑˈmɑ ɬɪ pʊθɪkɑʒɪʃɪlˈtʊ gɪnsɑbɑˈsø ɑʊˈmɑn lɪ fæpʊpøʃɪsʊpænˈkɑ lɑ θɹɪ]
zhumi-n puþikazaða=lli zhulafopiba-ga, fepupuða=ma=lli puþikazhi=ltu Ginsabasø Auman=li fepupøshisupenka=la þrhi
3PS-POSS safety=BEN.DEF.SG very.intensely.not.caring-SEQ get.away=PST.PERF=BEN.DEF.SG protect-PURP soldier Auman=DEF.SG machine.gun=INDEF.SG use

I split the phrase for clarity's sake. I could provide a more detailed gloss but then i'd get on the dangerous ground of defining what's inflectional and what's devirational in Søsøzatli (It's a huge mess and i'm very proud of it)

I have the feeling everything gets obnoxiously long in Søsøzatli. [O.o]

SEQ = Sequencial
CONS = Consecutive
PURP = Purposive
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

loglorn wrote: :con: Søsøzatli:

Zhumin ginsabasødø lli 1942'n konshirhøn dengefø zin fepushikan plisongilen, zhumin puþikazaða lli zhulafopibaga, fepupuðama lli puþikazhishiltu Ginsabasø Auman li fepupøshisupenka la þrhi.
On 12 November 1942, when his company was forced to make a temporary withdrawal, Private Auman, with utter disregard for his own personal safety, manned a machine gun and covered the retirement.

Oh, please. Don't even talk to me. [B)] (May try to translate this one into Géarthnuns later today when I have more time, just to whip 'em out and compare. [xD] )
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

I wrote:(May try to translate this one into Géarthnuns later today when I have more time, just to whip 'em out and compare. [xD] )
A day late and a dollar short, but...

Image Géarthnuns

Che 1942-fíthsev shabsersauv 12, chethev chöi kfübets süküt léb zdanesmarva'u ndé chnahöz sho, Auman Bdiks chü lés, arzhö vü vzogzhülérdsüt kétokhala'u tfoson, söi pulemíautsöib venshut ngkadin kfö lé chöi chnahötsöit kudhgaif.
DEF 1942-ordinal.one-LOC November-LOC 12, REL-LOC DEF company-NOM 3SG.POSS.ADJ-NOM AUX.PAST.CAUSPASS temporary-ADV force-ADV.PAST withdraw PTCL, Auman Soldier-NOM DEF AUX.PAST.REFL, and DEF.NEG personal.safety-ACC.NEG pay.attention.to.PRESPTPL-ADV complete-AdADV, INDEF machine.gun-POST therewith position and AUX.PAST DEF withdrawal-ACC cover
On 12 November 1942, when his company was forced to make a temporary withdrawal, Private Auman, with utter disregard for his own personal safety, manned a machine gun and covered the retirement.
loglorn wrote: :con: Søsøzatli:

Zhumin ginsabasødø lli 1942'n konshirhøn dengefø zin fepushikan plisongilen, zhumin puþikazaða lli zhulafopibaga, fepupuðama lli puþikazhishiltu Ginsabasø Auman li fepupøshisupenka la þrhi.

Rulers out:

Che 1942-fíthsev shabsersauv 12, chethev chöi kfübets süküt léb zdanesmarva'u ndé chnahöz sho, Auman Bdiks chü lés, arzhö vü vzogzhülérdsüt kétokhala'u tfoson, söi pulemíautsöib venshut ngkadin kfö lé chöi chnahötsöit kudhgaif.

See what I mean? [:P] (Anyway, got some juicy new vocab items and lexical ranges out of this exercise. [:D] )
Last edited by Lao Kou on 29 Mar 2016 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

:eng: "Caracol has been designated as an archaeological reserve and is not included within the park's total area."
:con: «Caracol hu ser désigné cù une reçù archæologicu e n'i qua inğludé ì şero total di parc.»
[karakol y ser desiɲe ɣy ynɛ rɛt͡sy arkeolod͡ʒiku ɛ ni ka inɣlyde i ʂɛro total di baʁk]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiquibul_National_Park
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 04 Nov 2014 04:38, edited 2 times in total.
Segano
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Segano »

:usa: English: Following a fatal car collision in August 1940, General of the Infantry Hellmuth Volkmann was replaced by Major General Georg Pfeiffer.
:con: Seragradic: Посла зіткненя самодов в Агуст в 1940, Геллмут Волкманн (генерал піхоті) біл замінювен Майора Генерала Джордж Файфер.
:con: Transliteration: Posla zitknenya samodov v Ahust v 1940, Hellmut Volkmann (heneral pikhoti), bil zaminyuven Mayora Heneral Dzhordzh Fayfer.
:con: Literal: after - collision of cars - in August - in 1940, - Hellmuth Volkmann (general of infantry) - was replaced - Major General Georg Pfeiffer

I apologize for not using glosses, but since they confuse the heck out of me, I hope this will suffice. The Seragradic I'm using here is merely experimental (I rewrote most of the language, and made it closely related to Ukrainian). And... a genitive that doesn't suck! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/94th_Infan ... hrmacht%29
Fluent: :nld: :usa: Average: :esp: Basic: :rus: :srp: Terrible: :bra: :swe:
Luan
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Luan »

:eng: On 13 July 2009, the band released the opening track, "Took The Fun", from the album on their MySpace page, and announced that there would be more songs put up each Monday until the release of the album.

:con: Derrovian
И Қламаубари унимани досаънєъму-доърмлу єсма прасқоъмєт ьива дєрга фєнєъсу, "Дєсинатє га Ноъвди", аво алба и пасмиътьи МаиСпєъса, а агмоъмат ьива а лє прасқивєт сис дьєргє и тєъбиъ ьолоъ МЬандесоъ и прасқиса алба э.
I Clamaubari unimani dosânêmu-dôrmlu esma prascômet hiva derga fenêsu, "Desinate ga Nôvdi", avo alba i pasmîthi MaiSpêsa, a agmômat hiva a le prascivet sis dherge i têbî holô Mhandesô i prascisa alba ie.
on Clamau_Bara.DAT back-SUP-DAT two-thousand.GEN-nine.GEN group give-PAST-3SG we-DAT track beginning.GEN, "decide-PASS.PART for fun.DAT", from album.GEN on web_page.DAT-3PL.GEN MySpace.GEN, and say-PAST-3SG we-DAT that ( give-FUT-3SG more \track.PL on time.DAT all.GENPL Monday.GENPL to give-GERUND.GEN album.GEN )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewellery_Quarter_(album)
DerovianAluzâniSal QynaionTsa Íruik TaukLingua Oîn
Threr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Threr »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_( ... a_Turtles)

Deyryck :

:eng: He is named after Leonardo da Vinci.
:con: Môd môn'Léonardo'da'Vinci ronaka'
[mɔd mɔn leonaʁdo da vinʃi ʁonaka:]
CNJ be.Leonardo be.da be.Vinci 3SG.SUB=name
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Jame ... born_1941)

:eng: James played Minor counties cricket for Staffordshire from 1962 to 1973, which included 39 Minor Counties Championship matches.

:con: Rozwi
Čeχroa ʔelefoan-niŋyašumieʕan ʔovašešboan lod čeχra ʔelefoan-niŋyašameʕawan zeoqšemvūwan,
Spoiler:
Year-ABL.SG thousand-ORD nine.hundred<PL>-ORD two.sixty-ORD PRP year-ACC thousand-ORD nine.hundred<PL>-ORD three.seventy-ORD
Lit. From the 1962nd year to the 1973rd year

ʔol Dædmitena ʕeuŋget Yakuviku sezoryakōl qiqšeθazebmeu aŋglu bō Stafočæʕin,
Spoiler:
PRP half.nome<PL>COLL.LOC small<COMPAR> <James> IMPFT.3SG-play<IMPFT> ball.CNJ.bat-INSTR <English> PRP <Staffordshire>GEN
Lit. In the Minor Counties James used to play English bat & ball with Staffordshire.
woa nef ʔol ptrozuo ræstena χodrastazraykalvaʕitin Dædmitin ʕeuŋget zoryakausane.
Spoiler:
REL.INAN-ABL PRP PRP nine.thirty battle<PL>LOC championship-COLL.GEN half.nome<PL>COLL.GEN small<COMPAR> play<PLPFT>3SG
Lit. during which in 39 matches of the Championships of the Minor Counties he had played.
Redaun
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Redaun »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_G._Kennedy

This forced me to figure out subclauses and numbers, both of which I was avoiding, but they turned out to be easier than I expected. :D

:eng: Christopher George Kennedy was born in Boston, Massachusetts, to Robert Francis Kennedy and Ethel (née Skakel) Kennedy, the eighth of their eleven children.

:con: Man su ival gobelón redergon gren o man su ber tibelúndu pa dergon til Rabata Vranziz Kénedi su til Ethel Ne Sakakel Kénedi bron til Bozdon bron til Masashusez Krízdovar Joj Kénedi kizu govete.
Spoiler:
Man su i-val go-belón redergon gren o man su ber ti-belún-du pa, dergon til Rabata Vranziz Kénedi su til Ethel Ne Sakakel Kénedi bron til Bozdon bron til Masashusez Krízdovar Joj Kénedi kizu govete.
five and number-three ERG-child from two by five and one OBJ-child-PL SBCL to OBJ robert francis kennedy and OBJ ethel née skakel kennedy inside OBJ boston inside OBJ massachusetts ABS.christopher george kennedy PST born
[mɑn su ˈi.val go.beˈlon reˈder.gon gren ʌ mɑn su ber tɪ.beˈlun.du pɑ ˈder.gon tɪl rɑˈbɑ.tɑ ˈvrɑn.zɪz ˈke.ne.di su tɪl ˈe.ðel ne sɑˈkɑ.kel ˈke.ne.di brʌn tɪl ˈboz.don brʌn tɪl mɑ.sɑˈʃu.sez ˈkriz.do.vɑr ʒoʒ ˈke.ne.di ˈki.zu goˈve.te]
SBCL = subclause particle - I don't know what they're normally called. :I
The weird number parts are there because Glenrién has a quintal number system (using 5s instead of 10s) so in order to say "8th of 11 children" they need to say "5-and-3rd of two-5s-and-1 children." I may rework this later, though, since it's kind of a pain to read.
[ɹeɪˈdɑːn]

:con: Glenrién (Constant work in progress)
Info HERE and Lexicon HERE.
I have no idea what I'm doing.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Redaun wrote:SBCL = subclause particle - I don't know what they're normally called.
It's probably either a subjunctivizer or a subordinating conjunction.
It could be a complementizer if the subordinate clause is a complement clause (used where a noun might be used);
or a relativizer if the subordinate clause is a relative clause (used where an adjective might be used);
or an adjunctivizer if the subordinate clause is an adjunct clause (used where an adverb might be used, as (I think?) you are doing in this case?).

I don't know your language well enough to see what the clauses are.
If you were to diagram your sentence, or (this would be easier) bracket the clauses (maybe also the phrases? or maybe that would clutter it up too much), it would be easier, at least for me, to tell you what your SBCL subclause particle is "usually called".

-----------------------

But remember; don't get too hung up about what it "ought" to be called. How it works is what's important; as long as you tell us what it means and how it works and pick a consistent term and stick to it, that's good enough. The advantage to using a term that "it's usually called" is that fewer of us have to have it re-explained to us, or need it less often. You and we could actually do without that advantage; if looking for the mot juste slows you down too much it might not be worth it.

BTW great first post! (Or first that I've read, anyway.)
Redaun
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Redaun »

It's probably either a subjunctivizer or a subordinating conjunction.
It could be a complementizer if the subordinate clause is a complement clause (used where a noun might be used);
or a relativizer if the subordinate clause is a relative clause (used where an adjective might be used);
or an adjunctivizer if the subordinate clause is an adjunct clause (used where an adverb might be used, as (I think?) you are doing in this case?).

I don't know your language well enough to see what the clauses are.
If you were to diagram your sentence, or (this would be easier) bracket the clauses (maybe also the phrases? or maybe that would clutter it up too much), it would be easier, at least for me, to tell you what your SBCL subclause particle is "usually called".
Trying to type up an explanation made me realize I really don't know what I'm doing with this... I think the subordinate is being used as an adjective? But I'm also not entirely sure what that means.

:con: (Man su ival gobelón redergon gren o man su ber tibelúndu pa) dergon til Rab su til Ethel bron til Bozdon bron til Masashusez Kríz kizu govete.
:eng: (8th of 11 children pa) to Rob and Ethel in Boston in Massachusetts Chris was born.
(They have long names so I'm leaving them out for the sake of less clutter.)

So the two sentences would be: "Chris was born to Rob and Ethel in Boston," and "Chris was born 8th of 11 children," but they're sharing the "Chris was born" part. Maybe I'm saying, "Chris was born to Rob and Ethel in Boston, plus [he is] 8th of 11 children."
I honestly don't have a clue if that's a conjunction or a subclause... or both? But at least it makes sense? Maybe?

I'm sorry, I'm new to this. :'D
Thanks for the help!
[ɹeɪˈdɑːn]

Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Redaun wrote: :eng: Christopher George Kennedy was born in Boston, Massachusetts, to Robert Francis Kennedy and Ethel (née Skakel) Kennedy, the eighth of their eleven children.

:con: Man su ival gobelón redergon gren o man su ber tibelúndu pa dergon til Rabata Vranziz Kénedi su til Ethel Ne Sakakel Kénedi bron til Bozdon bron til Masashusez Krízdovar Joj Kénedi kizu govete.
man su i-val go-belón redergon gren o man su ber ti-belún-du pa, dergon til Rabata Vranziz Kénedi su til Ethel Ne Sakakel Kénedi bron til Bozdon bron til Masashusez Krízdovar Joj Kénedi kizu govete
five and number-three ERG-child from two by five and one OBJ-child-PL SBCL to OBJ robert francis kennedy and OBJ ethel née skakel kennedy inside OBJ boston inside OBJ massachusetts ABS.christopher george kennedy PST born

SBCL = subclause particle - I don't know what they're normally called.
When I saw the SBCL, I initially thought your "pa" was working not unlike Géarthnuns "sho", which I lazily call a "particle" for now and which operates like an explicit verbal comma (though it wouldn't necessarily appear where you have "pa" here in this particular example):

eighth child from eleven children COMMA, to RFK and ESK in Boston in Massachusetts Christopher was born

But then there's this:
:con: (Man su ival gobelón redergon gren o man su ber tibelúndu pa) dergon til Rab su til Ethel bron til Bozdon bron til Masashusez Kríz kizu govete.
:eng: (8th of 11 children pa) to Rob and Ethel in Boston in Massachusetts Chris was born.

So the two sentences would be: "Chris was born to Rob and Ethel in Boston," and "Chris was born 8th of 11 children," but they're sharing the "Chris was born" part. Maybe I'm saying, "Chris was born to Rob and Ethel in Boston, plus [he is] 8th of 11 children."
which means it could just be another form of "and", used in contrast to "su", which would make it coordinating rather than subordinating.

(which, if true, makes me wonder: One can be born eighth, but can one be born the eighth of eleven, when 9, 10, and 11, aren't here yet (barring divine or historically retrospective omniscience)? -- I may very well be overthinking this part. [:P] )

I'm not sure why it has to share the "Chris was born" part. As you've bracketed it, "verbal comma" still works, or perhaps an apposition marker, both of which still allow for a "subordinating" interpretation? You may want to play with it more at home to see what falls out and/or post more examples of it.
Trying to type up an explanation made me realize I really don't know what I'm doing with this... I think the subordinate is being used as an adjective?
I wouldn't rule this out out of hand, but I think more analysis, or at least some fancy soft-shoe dancing, may be warranted before it's called "adjectival". [:)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Redaun wrote:Trying to type up an explanation made me realize I really don't know what I'm doing with this... I think the subordinate is being used as an adjective? But I'm also not entirely sure what that means.
That happens to me a lot, and I just assume it happens to many of us a lot.
It's one of the great reasons to try to answer other members' questions; it's very education to find out how much you don't actually know that you weren't aware you didn't know.

Redaun wrote: :con: (Man su ival gobelón redergon gren o man su ber tibelúndu pa) dergon til Rab su til Ethel bron til Bozdon bron til Masashusez Kríz kizu govete.
(They have long names so I'm leaving them out for the sake of less clutter.)

In English, the two clauses might be
* "Chris was born to Rob and Ethel in Boston"
and
* "Chris was 8th of 11 children".

Here you run into a difficulty* that's built-in to English; it may or may not also be built-in to your conlang. (Your conlang may have other difficulties built in to it, which it may, or may not, share with English).

*(It's only a difficulty in the meta-language when you're trying to label everything with existing labels. There's no problem using the language itself; and there's no problem in the meta-language if you're willing to just make up your own labels.)

The problem is:
Is "was born" a form of the verb "to bear"?

"Born" is one of the participles in the conjugation of the verb "to bear".
Depending on when and how it's used and what it's being contrasted to, it might be best to call it a passive participle, or a past participle, or a perfective participle.
But let's not go there now; the point is, one might think of it as a verbal adjective.

In that case, maybe "Chris was born" can be thought of as a clause with a predicator or copula (namely "was") for its verb, and a predicate adjective "born" coming after the copula or predicator.

Or; maybe "Chris was born" can be thought of as an intransitive sentence, with "Chris" as the subject and "was born" as the verb.

One way -- and I'm sure it's not the only way -- to analyze the sentence in English is something like the following (I'm not going to be certain I got it right until I re-read it every day for a few days);

There's only one subject, "Chris", and only one verb, "was".
The verb is used two different ways;
with a predicate adjective-phrase, "born to Robert and Ethel";
and with an appositive predicate nominative-phrase, "8th of 11 children".

"to Robert and Ethel" is a prepositional phrase used to modify the verbal adjective "born"; in other words, the prepositional phrase is used like an adverb.
"in Boston" is a prepositional phrase used to modify the entire clause "Chris was born"; in other words, the prepositional phrase is used like a (different kind of) adverb.
"8th of 11 children" is a noun-phrase which applies to Chris. "Chris was 8th of 11 children" says that the person named by the noun "Chris" is also the one named by the noun-phrase "8th of 11 children".

If your conlang doesn't use the same verb to say "the thing named by the noun-phrase in the subject is described by the adjective-phrase in the predicate" as to say "the thing named by the noun-phrase in the subject is also named by the noun-phrase in the predicate", then your two clauses can't have the same verb.

And if your conlang has a verb for "was born" that's not analyzable as "past tense of to be" plus "passive participle of to bear", then again your two clauses can't have the same verb.
If we analyzed the English as if that were the case for English (and it might be -- let someone else argue for or against that), then you'd have two clauses with the same subject but two different predicates.
One clause would be "Chris was born to Robert and Ethel in Boston".
"Chris" would be the subject, "was born" would be the (intransitive) verb, "to Robert and Ethel" would be a prepositional phrase modifying the clause "Chris was born" or its verb "was born", and "in Boston" also would be a PP modifying either the whole clause or the verb.
The other clause would be "Chris was 8th of 11 children".

Neither clause would be subordinate to the other, in either case, IMO.
To be subordinate to another clause, a clause has to be dependent on that other clause (part of its meaning can't be nailed down without understanding the other clause), and also has to be embedded in the other clause (used as if it were a noun, or as if it were an adjective, or as if it were an adverb).
Neither of your two clauses is dependent on the other clause; and neither of them is embedded in the other.

So this is a compound clause -- a clause with one subject and two co-ordinately conjoined predicates. (In other words, it's not a complex clause, only a compound one.)
It just so happens that in the English version, there isn't any explicit word to express the co-ordinate conjunction. You could write a zero 0 or a null sign ∅ in the English and translate that as what you've labeled SBCL. (In glosses, zeroes and nulls are used for words and morphemes that don't get pronounced.) Normally, translating the other way, you'd translate what you've labeled SBCL in your conlang as "and" in English. (Sometimes as "but", perhaps, or as some other co-ordinating conjunction.)

Some languages use different co-ordinating conjunctions depending on what types of things they're conjoining. For instance "Robert and Ethel" might not use the same "and" that they'd use to conjoin two predicates. That could be -- if you decide to make it so -- why your SBCL isn't the same word (su) you used when translating "Robert and Ethel".

(But I wouldn't worry about all this. It''s intriguing fodder for future conlanging, but it's not something to let slow you down right now. Or at least that's my opinion.)
Edit: (As I said above, this is a question in the meta-language rather than in the language, and is a problem only if you want to use existing labels instead of just making up your own.)
I honestly don't have a clue if that's a conjunction or a subclause... or both? But at least it makes sense? Maybe?
I don't think it was obvious, nor that it should have been obvious; but I think what you've called SBCL is a co-ordinating conjunction; and I think it's one that can conjoin two predicates. It makes sense to me that the same one could be used to conjoin two clauses, and/or two verbs. But I'd guess that in your conlang that co-ordinating conjunction can't be used to conjoin two nouns (which, apparently is "su").

I'm sorry, I'm new to this. :'D
You have nothing to apologize for!
We like new people.

Thanks for the help!
Especially new people who say "Thank you"! [:)]

Edit: Lao Kou ninja'ed me.
I don't think you have any subordinate clause.
I think you have one copular clause with two co-ordinately conjoined predicates, one of which is a predicate adjective-phrase and the other of which is a predicate nominal-phrase.

Whether a subordinate clause is a complement clause or a relative clause or an adjunct clause doesn't even come up until you know it is a subordinate clause (or at least an embedded clause); and you don't have a subordinate clause (or an embedded clause). At least, that's my analysis.
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 10 Nov 2014 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
Redaun
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Redaun »

Hmmm, thank you both!

I'll have to fiddle around with it some more, then. XD Though I do like the idea of pa being a coordinating particle as you've said.
You've also both taught me a lot more about subclauses. :mrgreen:

I guess I'll post a new thread when I figure out exactly how Glenrién works with all of this.
[ɹeɪˈdɑːn]

Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Edit: I don't think you have any subordinate clause.
I think you have one copular clause with two co-ordinately conjoined predicates, one of which is a predicate adjective-phrase and the other of which is a predicate nominal-phrase.

Whether a subordinate clause is a complement clause or a relative clause or an adjunct clause doesn't even come up until you know it is a subordinate clause (or at least an embedded clause); and you don't have a subordinate clause (or an embedded clause). At least, that's my analysis.
This might become clearer, if we move away from the funki-/hinkiness of "be born". In other words, instead of/in addition to musing on:

Christopher George Kennedy was (born in Boston, Massachusetts, to Robert Francis Kennedy and Ethel (née Skakel) Kennedy,) AND (the eighth of their eleven children).

vs.

Christopher George Kennedy (was born in Boston, Massachusetts, to Robert Francis Kennedy and Ethel (née Skakel) Kennedy,) AND ((was) the eighth of their eleven children).

Redaun gives examples of how Glenrién (and perhaps "pa") handles sentences like:

George Washington, the first US president, crossed the Delaware in a beautiful pea-green boat.

oo, oo, or better:

Bob graduated (from) university in 1995, the first in his family (to do so).
Bob graduated (from) university in 1995(,) the first in his class.
Redaun wrote:I guess I'll post a new thread when I figure out exactly how Glenrién works with all of this.
Yes, this discussion, though interesting, seems to have derailed this thread, alas. [:P]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名