The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

lsd wrote: 12 Mar 2024 11:00 for IPA or diacritics,
simply use a font that that contains them (dejavu, arial,...)
and insert special characters...
that takes a very long time ...
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

I don't like using insert menus, since they take a while ─ and I prefer to do everything with keystrokes. That goes for anything, actually ─ I love keyboard shortcuts, mostly because I have a trackpad and it really sucks.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage

she/her
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Arayaz wrote: 12 Mar 2024 14:01 That goes for anything, actually ─ I love keyboard shortcuts, mostly because I have a trackpad and it really sucks.
Under the "device" tab in the chromebook settings you can disable touchpad acceleration, which might make it more bearable. It's what I've used for years, and I quite like it.
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 12 Mar 2024 12:05
[+1]
It's a pain. On Apple, at least you have access to these symbols in the language tab on the top of the screen - you don't need to be in Pages to type funny letters, making searching things up way easier. Plus, you can type Hebrew vowels (good for me, since I'm learning Aramaic).
On Windows, there is no such "Symbols" option except in Insert on applications like Word and Publisher, or on websites - and worse, the Hebrew keyboard doesn't have vowels. It's a pain when you're used to Apple.

Also, how exactly do I mod my keyboard options as is? Vap told me something about this a while ago but I forgot it, so I need to find where he said it to me...
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 12 Mar 2024 15:43
Arayaz wrote: 12 Mar 2024 14:01 That goes for anything, actually ─ I love keyboard shortcuts, mostly because I have a trackpad and it really sucks.
Under the "device" tab in the chromebook settings you can disable touchpad acceleration, which might make it more bearable. It's what I've used for years, and I quite like it.
I've turned it off. We'll see how it goes. I doubt I'll be able to break my keyboard shortcut habit, though.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage

she/her
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Visions1 wrote: 12 Mar 2024 15:59 Also, how exactly do I mod my keyboard options as is? Vap told me something about this a while ago but I forgot it, so I need to find where he said it to me...
I can tell you again. For me, on Mac, I downloaded an app called Ukelele which lets you make new keyboard layouts, and made one with IPA + combining characters and such. Then you move the layout into the folder Library/Keyboard Layouts, restart the laptop and then go to systems preferences and add it as a new source. I remember there was some kind of problem getting the computer to recognise it, but the app came with a manual which explained the solution (one day I'll go back and re-learn how to use it and make a keyboard with ɣ).

One slight caveat – my computer will pretend that the Library folder doesn't exist; you have to do command + shift + G and then /Library for some obscure reason.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Arayaz wrote: 12 Mar 2024 17:06
I've turned it off. We'll see how it goes. I doubt I'll be able to break my keyboard shortcut habit, though.
Update: I didn't make it. I bet it's just because of how long I've used it with acceleration, but I just couldn't keep going without it. Thanks, though!

my garbage

she/her
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Arayaz wrote: 12 Mar 2024 22:08
Arayaz wrote: 12 Mar 2024 17:06
Update: I didn't make it. I bet it's just because of how long I've used it with acceleration, but I just couldn't keep going without it. Thanks, though!
No problem! I don't blame you for not sticking with it, since most people who use my laptop react quite negatively to it. I'm certainly just biased from using it for a really long time.
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

she/they/fluff
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 12 Mar 2024 21:47
Visions1 wrote: 12 Mar 2024 15:59 Also, how exactly do I mod my keyboard options as is? Vap told me something about this a while ago but I forgot it, so I need to find where he said it to me...
I can tell you again. For me, on Mac, I downloaded an app called Ukelele which lets you make new keyboard layouts, and made one with IPA + combining characters and such. Then you move the layout into the folder Library/Keyboard Layouts, restart the laptop and then go to systems preferences and add it as a new source. I remember there was some kind of problem getting the computer to recognise it, but the app came with a manual which explained the solution (one day I'll go back and re-learn how to use it and make a keyboard with ɣ).

One slight caveat – my computer will pretend that the Library folder doesn't exist; you have to do command + shift + G and then /Library for some obscure reason.
Thanks! However. what about Windows?
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Visions1 wrote: 13 Mar 2024 05:17 Thanks! However. what about Windows?
Idk google it
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

it depends on the importance of your use of these characters,
for IPA it's ok for me,
for my logograms I use
either a kind of IME that draws the glyphs according to their Latin transcription on writer,
or the virtual keyboard of the insertion of special characters with my dedicated fonts...
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

lsd wrote: 13 Mar 2024 11:42
it depends on the importance of your use of these characters, [...]
Are you saying that 1) the characters are so important that it doesn't matter how long it takes? Or that 2) the characters are so unimportant that it's not worth learning a faster way?

Because no matter how often you use them, going through the "insert special characters" menu takes much longer than a simple keystroke.

my garbage

she/her
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

sure, but if you don't use them too much,
the time spent learning or creating shortcuts
won't make up for the time spent using character insertion...

for me, it's the number of shortcuts for my logograms that isn't worth it...
if I've spent time tinkering with an IME, it's because it frees me from memorizing technical codes that are of no interest,
and in the same way, I'd rather visualize the virtual keyboard of character insertion,
whose slowness is in line with my weighing up the choice of this or that logogram,
than to bring to the forefront a machine language external to my language...
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Guzhiet Blahatz na Zos!

Happy Pi Day!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Happy Pi day !!

Btw, I feel like now is a fitting time to ask, what does the last part of your signature, "31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!", mean?

she/they/fluff
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 15 Mar 2024 02:43 Btw, I feel like now is a fitting time to ask, what does the last part of your signature, "31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!", mean?
Good question! It's an old joke/meme that started with a comment from Tanni (a now-banned user) in a conversation here: viewtopic.php?p=95178&hilit=genitourinary#p95178
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Mar 2024 02:56
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 15 Mar 2024 02:43 Btw, I feel like now is a fitting time to ask, what does the last part of your signature, "31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!", mean?
Good question! It's an old joke/meme that started with a comment from Tanni (a now-banned user) in a conversation here: viewtopic.php?p=95178&hilit=genitourinary#p95178
That is a much sillier origin than I had expected lol

she/they/fluff
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Happy pi day (belatedly), and happy ides of March (tumblr's favorite holiday)!

my garbage

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

We recently had the 234,567th post of the CBB! But I missed its creation and can't find which one it is [:'(]

my garbage

she/her
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Just encountered a beautiful Irish sentence glossed for me:

An t-ealaíontóir gur mhór aici an damhan alla agus gur mhór a cuid damhan alla, Louise Bourgeois, fuair sí bás ar na mallaibh.

Literally: "the artist that big with her the spider and that big her lot of spider, Louise Bourgeois, found she death on the [slows? lates?]"

Or in English: "Louise Bourgeois, an artist who liked spiders and had plenty of spiders, died recently"

[apparently 'mallaibh' only occurs in this expression so has no real meaning; I'm guessing the etymology there]