What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by conlang-creature »

Finally evolved a daughter-lang that I'm happy with! It'd still be easy to understand the proto-lang with a dictionary in hand, but semantic shift has made things trickier. Also, the other daughter-langs will (ideally) spread out even more. Besides, this is only the initial divergence. There's bound to be more chaos later down the line.
kiwikami wrote: 02 Jan 2024 19:33 ...a third of all verbs would no longer distinguish third person singular and plural subjects...
This has actually happened for all verbs in the daughter-lang, and personally, I'm quite fond of it. Technically the forms should be different, but they were so similar (VnV vs. VnnV) I figured people would start using subject nouns to make things clearer in fast speech. Once that normalized, they just... disappeared.
kiwikami wrote: 02 Jan 2024 19:33 It's still in testing, but I do really like this so far.
I'm glad you found a solution you like! As someone who doesn't know anything about (or has tried to do anything with) tones, this looks really fun.
A word a day keeps the scrapping away!
Current Record: 178
:usa: [:3]
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

conlang-creature wrote: 02 Jan 2024 20:14
kiwikami wrote: 02 Jan 2024 19:33 It's still in testing, but I do really like this so far.
I'm glad you found a solution you like!
Thank you!
conlang-creature wrote: 02 Jan 2024 20:14As someone who doesn't know anything about (or has tried to do anything with) tones, this looks really fun.
Oh no worries, I don't either. :'D

I do study vowel formants and pitch IRL, but I don't speak any language with tones, so this is completely new territory. Which is fun!

...Speaking of which, it isn't related to any of my own projects, but I'm very excited about Thursday. I just uploaded the syllabus for one of the classes I'm teaching this quarter - the constructed languages class I wrote last year. The department is thinking about making it a regular offering, which means I'm likely going to get to teach it two years in a row, and it's a blast. Undergrad 8-and-a-half week crash course in linguistic typology and linguistic theory as it applies to conlanging, with students constructing their own in that time. It's a lot of work, but dang if it isn't fun.

Now, I also need to finish and upload the syllabus for the other class I'm teaching, and I have to be up at 6:30 tomorrow for fish feeding purposes. And I am avoiding coffee after my doctor showed visible concern at my resting heart rate. So it's going to be a long night.

Ḷí·Mrımrızrımmırımı kút màra·Lukàzmuzrıusḳaı Ùsızûhḳamḷ mazı(ìṭ)lu·tmıṭǔx.
[t͡ɬí‿ˈmrɪ̀mrɪ̀ʒrɪ̀ˌmɪ́rɪ̀mɪ̀ kút áˈmɑ̀rà‿ɬɤ́ˈqɑ̀ʒmɤ̀ˌʃrɪ́vzŋɐ̀j ˈvòzɪ̀ʒúʝɴɑ̀mt͡ɬ ˈmàʒɪ̀ɮɤ̀ˌtmɪ́tʼòúx (máʒˈjɪ̀t͡ɬɤ̀ˌtʼmɪ́tʼòúx)]
ḷí=mrı~mrı<ızv-ŕ>m~mrım-ı ku<ú>t màŕa=lu<vkà>z+m+zrı<us>ḳ-ı-a vr̀-ṣu<ızv-ŕ>h-ḳàm-ḷ mı<azv(-ìṭ)>l+v+tmıṭùu<ú>x
however=HAB~please<3.1-PL>~please-DUR fish<PAT> MAL=earn<1.3PL>+because+allow<barely>-DUR-VOL.ACT CAUS-confuse<3.1-PL>-FREQ-CAUS.NVOL sleep<1(-NEG)>+routine<PAT>

I love the fish dearly but they are only barely worth the havoc they wreak to my (lack of) sleep schedule.

...I also love that adding negation to mazılu·tmıṭǔx causes a cascade of change in both tone and which consonants are ejectives.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Kelisot
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Kelisot »

Currently writing a draft for a conlang inspired by the Okinawan language in the forums soon. Can't wait to get critiques!
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Kelisot wrote: 03 Jan 2024 15:37 Currently writing a draft for a conlang inspired by the Okinawan language in the forums soon. Can't wait to get critiques!
Sounds fun. I'll look forward to it
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Made a post in this thread about all the dialects i'd made for my desert dialect continuum, but it got deleted, and then i scrapped the dialects, so...
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber family Ngama Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Not today but Saturday, I got a new computer. This one's a Hewlett-Packard. And today, I got my Greasemonkey censor up and working.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Instead of sleeping all night, I worked on verbs (and prosody decisions):

Code: Select all

Root          : Non-Future Active     : Non-Future Applicative
P-R-Ḫ "speak" : paraḫ-ti "he said"    / parḫ-a-tti "he made say"
S-Y-M "have"  : sam-ti   "he had"     / sīm-a-tti  "he gave"
L-H-B "lack"  : leb-ti   "he lacked"  / lēb-e-tti  "he took"
R-S-Y "good"  : rasī-si  "he is good" / rās-a-tti  "he made good"

Root          : Future Active                : Future Applicative
P-R-Ḫ "speak" : na-praḫ-ti "he will say"     / na-parḫ-a-tti "he will make say"
S-Y-M "have"  : na-sam-ti  "he will have"    / na-sīm-a-tti  "he will give"
L-H-B "lack"  : ne-leb-ti  "he will lack"    / ne-lēb-e-tti  "he will take"
R-S-Y "good"  : na-rsī-si  "he will be good" / na-rās-a-tti  "he will make good"

Root          : Non-Future Passive       : Non-Future Applicative Passive
P-R-Ḫ "speak" : pariḫ-ti "he was said"   / parḫ-i-tti "he was made to say"
S-Y-M "have"  : sim-ti   "he was owned"  / sīm-i-tti  "he was given"
L-H-B "have"  : lib-ti   "he was lacked" / lēb-i-tti  "he was made to lack"
R-S-Y "good"  :                          / rās-i-tti  "he was made good"
Existential predicates:
ilgam simta "there is a fish" (= "fish is owned")
ilgam libta "there is no fish" (= "fish is lacked")

Although I translate the causatives of "have" and "lack" as "give" and "take", it is more like "cause to have" and "cause to lack".
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

The thread seems unamenable to slow, incremental, unflashy progress. However, I'm still feeling great about my increasing and ever-more cohesive tweaks to things like moods, temporal nouns, root patterns actually being attested, etc.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Knox Adjacent wrote: 24 Jan 2024 19:37 The thread seems unamenable to slow, incremental, unflashy progress.
No one will stop you from posting about it, though. [;)]

However, I'm still feeling great about my increasing and ever-more cohesive tweaks to things like moods, temporal nouns, root patterns actually being attested, etc.
There’s something deeply satisfying about the process of massaging all the disparate pieces into a cohesive system.
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

I don't think I was stopped or said I was, but okay
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Oh, I guess I misinterpreted your meaning. Apologies if I came off as rude.
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

Truly, it's the little changes that make it look real.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I started (gain) translating the sentences of the The Snowball Game Returns -thread.

I translated the four first ones into Dlor today.

Cos I'm lazy I just copy the code Latex if somebody is super interested.
Spoiler:
\begin{exe}
\ex \label{ex:Arabic}%empty!
\label{}
\gll Mül Jêsakr bënen lu s-keeb ú ka sa Kasadl.\\
feel Jêsakr touch at \textsc{def}-shoulder and be it Kasadl\\
\glt 'Jêsakr felt a tap on his shoulder, and it was Kasadl.'
\end{exe}

\begin{exe}
\label{}
\gll Bar Jêsakr ra jóka bâ-mu nam ra ku-bòts s-ni mo raj lu gím ba meekj ra íl.\\
say Jêsakr \textsc{compl} sorry after-\textsc{conj} let \textsc{compl} mouth-stuck \textsc{def}-little male sibling at bar of iron \textsc{compl} be.cold\\
\glt 'Jêsakr apologized for letting his little brother freeze his tongue to the metal bar.'
\end{exe}\

\begin{exe}
\label{}
\gll Jo-pes s-kra bëbeet mû mo-sek mi kal.\\
hither-descend \textsc{def}-big rock \textsc{conj}.\textsc{adv} \textsc{caus}.weight-die three person\\
\glt 'The big rock fell down the mountain, killing three people.'
\end{exe}

\begin{exe}
\label{}
\gll Kír mo-bókr tläl tlee ra în kír lu lü-bul? \\
which body-hand should \textsc{sg1} \textsc{compl} wear which at \textsc{nmlz}.at-play\\
\glt 'Which gloves shall I wear to the theatre?.'
\end{exe}
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Came up with negative "pronouns" (negative particle (ˀu)du combined with personal suffixes) that convey "not X":

Sg.   /  Pl.
1c: dunna  / dutta
2f: dummu  / dummun
2m: dummi  / dummin
2n: dummas / dumman
3f: dukku  / dukkun
3m: dukki  / dukkin
3n: dukkas / dukkan
Used to express the negative of nominal predicates:
ˀānam kabbi "I am a king"
Dunna kabbi "I am not a king"
But can also be used to express the negative in general:
Paruḫti "He spoke"
Dukki paruḫti "He did not speak"
Nardim rābis ˀilgan sīmatti "Nardi gave the man a fish"
Nardim rābis ˀilgan dukki sīmatti "Nardi did not give the man a fish"
In this regard, it is then best to think of it less as a pronoun and more as a negative particle/adverb that is in agreement with the subject/agent of the verb it modifies.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

Made a vowel chart for my latest conlang, Wikkaynese!

Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I wrote two pages to my Dlor grammar. As usual, I added things to many places there, copula constructions, habeo constructions, diphthongs, proclitics or nouns ...
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

During the last several days, I accomplished several tasks for Real Life.
In the same time, I also had some interesting (to me) thoughts about my conlangs and concultures; though I haven’t yet written the most recent ones down.
conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by conlang-creature »

After taking a break from conlanging, I returned to work on more daughter languages. I've started doing some fun things with vowels, which result in the current name for this branch being Verfloger.
A word a day keeps the scrapping away!
Current Record: 178
:usa: [:3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I spent three days looking for missing T-words in my English-Kankonian dictionary. I got 260 new words out of it! A sampling:

nuvyu: tabi (sock for flip-flops)
adlosolrebul: to bring to the table (ad-, prefix for "for/to" + losolrebul, roundtable)
kyabmyu: tag (to show part of speech for a word in a corpus) (borrowed from Ciladian kyabmyu, part of speech, from kyab, word + myu, kind, type, sort)
navua: tail (of an airplane), empennage
puskhobor: tanzanite
tanaltza: tapai (paste) (borrowing from some Tzelshan language)
tupua: tapai (beverage) (borrowing from some Tzelshan language)
zaima: takt time (borrowed from Javarti zayma, put together from Jukasta roots: za, one + ima, per)
povapisa: cycle time (borrowed from Javarti; put together from Jukasta roots: pova, circle, cycle + pisa, time)
Dzhemasau: tart with a heart (from a literary name)
ventaimon: taur (human-animal chimera) (blend of venta, animal + taimon, human)
amamusha: tayra (Povoian borrowing)
sirsives: tectorium (made of Ciladian roots: sir, hair + sibh, to separate + -es, agent noun suffix)
doerziblebek: TED-talk prose (oheblebek is "psychobabble", but I can't remember where I got the doerzi- part from)
yesnuva: teddy, camiknicker
bulsakhuyemal: teledildonics (bul, the Ciladian root for "far, distant" + sakhu, semen + yemal, electronics)
omukhar: tepe, tell
tshenil: tephra
salvunadetskinfash or sima sima for short: trans-exclusive radical feminist, TERF (salv, female + unadet, transgender + skin, to hate + -fash, agent noun suffix)
koboila: terebinth (Pistacia terebinthus)
myubvagirkedes: term limits (borrowing from Ciladian: myub, office, position + bhagir, span, time span, period + kedes, limit)
dyudyan: terzetto (composition in three voice parts) (borrowing from Ciladian: dyu, three + dyan, voice)
kampot: tessera (for mosaic)
phiskhrenizh: thelemite (person who believes in doing whatever s/he wants do) (Phiskhren, a famous khemehekis in Kankonian history + -izh, suffix for making adjectives or similar -ian words from people's names)
halhous-hamyan: theme party (hal-, prefix for all/every + hous, about + ham, this, that + yan, party, fiesta)
tzumukhiz: theobromine (tzumukh, chocolate + -iz, suffix for a nutrient)
ikadibvik: sociodicy (borrowing from Ciladian: ikadib, society + bhik, to find (something one is looking for))
gyemvik: anthropodicy (borrowing from Ciladian: gyem, human + bhik)
leholaps: theogony (modeled after oolaps, cosmogony, with Leho (God) placed at the beginning instead of oo-)
phunargyemi: theanthropic (from phunargyem, theanthropy, made of Ciladian roots: phunar, god + gyem, with the Kankonian adjectival suffix -i added at the end)
tudesib: thesis (lowering the hand when indicating a rhythm) (borrowed from Ciladian, from tu, hand + desib, stress, emphasis; to stress, to emphasize)
theitan: thetan (Terran borrowing)
thripissut: three-piece suit (English borrowing)
adliyaufrifash: thrombin (ad- + liyaufri, fibrin + -fash)
nasar az shpankizas: throwaway line (lit. "line that is bunged")
*othas: thunder thighs (*ethas, thighs, with the E changed to an O for a "bigger" sound)
bilaludan: timocracy (borrowing from Shaleyan: bilal, honor and glory + udan, government)
bamaba na Peksu: Pokémon speak (lit. "Peksu babble", Peksu being the Deksadian name of a jatis character who can say only his own name)
yoposh: toadlet (myobatrachid toad)
vrekhitar: foxhunt (literal)
anagolangar or anago for short: foxhunt, radiosport, bunny hunt (ana, radio + golangar, orienteering)
guhwarp: toilet growl (before I came to this board, I heard never heard of these)
znasalta: toile
bake: tokay gecko (onomatopoeia)
bamwiki: token twofer (bam, two + wiki, token)
karkiosspaispatel: paradox of tolerance (karkios, tolerance + spais, end + patel, system)
tamigan: Tommy gun, Thompson submachine gun (English borrowing)
engoyia: tomorrowland (engoi, tomorrow + -ia, suffix for a place)
romrom: tom-tom (onomatopoeia)
salpigwenya: tom-tit, miromiro (Petroica macrocephala) (local borrowing)
bemisnaghiya: tool belt, utility belt (bemis, to optimize + naghiya, belt)
takhakha: toon, Australian red cedar (Toona ciliata) (local borrowing)
donzareyi: toothfish (Dissostichus) (local borrowing)
biyiazar: Patagonian toothfish, Chilean seabass (Dissostichus eleginoides) (local borrowing)
blag*entz: topaz (color)
shakhirezh: topiramate
nokos wetzan: top gear (lit. "full gear")
bosendowish: toxic masculinity and taprinish: toxic femininity (from Bosendo, a toxically masculine man, and Taprin, a toxically feminine woman, in Kankonian literature + -ish, a suffix that makes nouns meaning "the state of being a [noun]")
uhulnashud: traffic patrol (at school) (uhul, school + nashud, patrol)
ighutya: traffic (that radio station does ~ and weather) (ighutu, traffic + -ya, suffix for a scientific study)
menirufoyan: transage (menir, age + ufoyan, change; to change; modeled after narigufoyan, transsexual)
yaramoshiufoyan: transracial (identifying as a different ethnicity than one's genes indicate) (yaramoshi, race + ufoyan)
shuyesfedehati: transracial (adopted by parents of a different race) (shuyes, across + fedehat, to adopt + -i)
sunyupipolas: transposon, jumping gene (borrowing from Shaleyan suñupipolas: suñup, to teleport, teleportation + polas, gene)
loyadshiksiyeaz: to transrate (loi- prefix for "again" + ad- + shiksiyeaz, bitrate)
vagavaga: vagavaga (small, informal Opegese-style restaurant) (borrowing from a language of Opeg)
guzhiet itriheria: travel well (lit. "enjoy the travels!")
teliya: Asiatic lily
pasnuyu: Oriental lily
telnuyu: tree lily (Asiatic-Oriental lily hybrid) (blend of teliya + pasnuyu)
okhezdushurm: jelly fungus (okhez, lychee + dushurm, fungus)
spefushi: triamcinolone
zilunash: tricorder (medical) (borrowing from Shaleyan: zilun, to diagnose; diagnosis + -ash, agent noun suffix)
dyudameddim: tricyclic antidepressant (made from Ciladian roots: dyu + damed, circle + dim, medicine, drug)
gabyufad: trigon, sambuca
kheph: trion (borrowed from Achel cebb)
shubatzpak: trout-slapping (shubatz, trout + pak, slap; to slap)
osblikhraiga: tryhard (at a video game) (os, not + blikh, just + raiga, game)
bav: truth value (borrowing from Ciladian babh, truth)
bavshyameb: truth table (borrowing from Ciladian: babh + shyameb, table, chart)
hhorat: dziggetai, khulan (Equus hemionus hemionus) (local borrowing)
tzongghed: tsubo, pressure point (borrowing from a language of Dumang)
dukadaik*itha: tumbrel, ducking stool, cucking stool (dukadaik, seesaw + *itha, chair)
zyushal: tunica
gasi zipi khoerzh: tunnel vision (only focusing on one viewpoint) (lit. "looking through a boomwhacker")
eilaga: tuple (finite sequence of terms) (eilag, anything + -a, suffix for -uple)
bispa: n-tuple (bisp, the Kankonian letter B and first letter in bayet, number, which is used for "n" + -a)
bimigbaphis: turaco, loerie (borrowing from a language of Kupulshas) -- can't believe I didn't already have this!
kazdiph: Turing machine (borrowed from Achel kazdipp, from kaz + computer + dipp, to be ultimate)
sussyukazdiph: turmite (creative hybridization of sussyudiph, minimalism + kazdiph)
meyilsyusu: right-side-out (me-, negative prefix + ilsyusu, inside-out) -- again, can't believe I didn't already have this!
admeyilsyusu: to turn right-side-out (ad- + meyilsyusu)
vunoi: turnover (amount of money) (borrowed from Palang vùnoi: , to sell + noi, money)
babakhi: tutelary (of guardianship for a minor or conserved adult) (babakh, guardian + -i)
seiladi: tutelary (of guardianship from, for instance, an angel or goddess) (seilad, guardian + -i)
kwarbovorish: 20/20 hindsight (from Kwarbovor, a literary character who always had 20/20 hindsight + -ish)
vaksasi: once-married (made of Ciladian roots: bhak, once + sas, to marry + -i)
pepessasi: twice-married (made of Ciladian roots: pepes, twice + sas + -i)
dyussasi: thrice-married (made of Ciladian roots: dyus, thrice + sas + -i)
skayatlik: tyee (huge Chinook salmon) (borrowing from a language of Kupulshas)
movilkhemiv: to typecast (identify due to appearance, gender, ethnicity, etc.) (movil, tribe + khemiv, to sort)
mephurt: to break character (me- + phurt, to act; this is a rare occasion of me- being used with a verb)
pheshushdyales: suboscine (made of Ciladian roots: phesh, base + ush, bird + dyales, singer)
syugetrugadus: typomania (obsession with typography or with getting published) (made of Ciladian roots: syuget, print; to print + ruga, crazy, insane + -us, suffix that turns an adjective into a noun meaning "the fact of being")
Last edited by Khemehekis on 13 Feb 2024 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!